ADVERTISEMENT

QB Duggan a 2nd weekend in Lincoln??

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
read where Duggan may make this Friday's FNL as well. Having him throw to some of the stud WR that will be in town would be a great recruiting tool (imho). The only conflict is the he has a HS baseball game Friday night, so he is working on logistics to get both done.

read where Duggan may make this Friday's FNL as well. Having him throw to some of the stud WR that will be in town would be a great recruiting tool (imho). The only conflict is the he has a HS baseball game Friday night, so he is working on logistics to get both done.
Buckle up Iowa!! Its on!! P.S....Iowa sucks!!

This is really a big deal since there will be almost as much '19 talent in Lincoln as '18 talent (not quite but almost)...foundation time for '19

I think when he first earned the offer, it didn't register much with him. But, now that he's seen some of these receivers, I think it's changing his tone.

There's some scuttle that he's really waiting on a ND or OSU offer, but I'm hoping that the skill players we are bringing in changes his mind about having to leave the immediate area.

There's some scuttle that he's really waiting on a ND or OSU offer, but I'm hoping that the skill players we are bringing in changes his mind about having to leave the immediate area.

I have been told the same about ND

Is he visiting Iowa as well on Saturday? The Register had him going to Iowa this week as well. But that article was a few days old, and didn't include this trip to Lincoln.

My understanding is he will be in Lincoln on Friday only. Not sure about his Saturday plans.

I have been told the same about ND
We are loaded with ND coaches; on the D side. They should be able to sell N and the advantage of the N coaches to a qb recruit - its simply real.. I can respect Iowa coaches; but N is N and for a hopeful NFL prospect or who might want to coach in the future - it simply doesnt get any better than us. GBR

We are loaded with ND coaches; on the D side. They should be able to sell N and the advantage of the N coaches to a qb recruit - its simply real.. I can respect Iowa coaches; but N is N and for a hopeful NFL prospect or who might want to coach in the future - it simply doesnt get any better than us. GBR

If he wants to coach, no better than Mike Riley. No disrespect to Ferentz, but even Harbaugh sent his kid to learn from Smilin' Mike.

Reactions: dockentwo
He will end up at Iowa from everything I have heard but these are kids that can be easily swayed.

I have a hard time believing he picks Iowa over Nebraska when you compare the skill position talent Nebraska is bringing in compared to Iowa. If he was a TE or OL I could see how Iowa may have a better pitch. But after throwing to the talent at Nebraska's camp and then the talent at Iowa's, you'd think it would be pretty clear at what place will hep you be successful.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I have a hard time believing he picks Iowa over Nebraska when you compare the skill position talent Nebraska is bringing in compared to Iowa. If he was a TE or OL I could see how Iowa may have a better pitch. But after throwing to the talent at Nebraska's camp and then the talent at Iowa's, you'd think it would be pretty clear at what place will hep you be successful.
I think they look at Iowa because of the pro-style system. CJ had a terrible year statistically but showed a big arm in a pro-style system and was drafted in the 4th round this year.

NFL teams still value QBs who have been in a pro system.

I think they look at Iowa because of the pro-style system. CJ had a terrible year statistically but showed a big arm in a pro-style system and was drafted in the 4th round this year.

NFL teams still value QBs who have been in a pro system.
CJB being drafted and signed only proves that the NFL will find talent no matter where they play.

CJB being drafted and signed only proves that the NFL will find talent no matter where they play.
Maybe. The guys who throw for 5,000 yards at Hawaii aren't getting much looks at NFL teams.

It is a little bit about fitting a system, and the pro game is a different style than college and we all know that. It's a little less of a risk if you take a guy who has already thrived in a pro system. It's a little uneasy I'm sure taking a guy who has been in shotgun his entire career and not sure how he will do when putting him under center with a fullback and tight end package.

Guys like Mariota who were rare talents they'd take for sure, but I think a guy who is middle of the pack but played in a pro system and did well they put a little more stock into that.

Maybe. The guys who throw for 5,000 yards at Hawaii aren't getting much looks at NFL teams.

It is a little bit about fitting a system, and the pro game is a different style than college and we all know that. It's a little less of a risk if you take a guy who has already thrived in a pro system. It's a little uneasy I'm sure taking a guy who has been in shotgun his entire career and not sure how he will do when putting him under center with a fullback and tight end package.

Guys like Mariota who were rare talents they'd take for sure, but I think a guy who is middle of the pack but played in a pro system and did well they put a little more stock into that.

We have Eli mannings qb coach, a former NFL GM on staff, and a host of skill players to feed the ball to. The scouts are already sniffing around Lee although like any player he'll have to prove it on the field.

NU isn't running the option anymore and pro style probably won't be a key differentiator in this case.

We have Eli mannings qb coach, a former NFL GM on staff, and a host of skill players to feed the ball to. The scouts are already sniffing around Lee although like any player he'll have to prove it on the field.

NU isn't running the option anymore and pro style probably won't be a key differentiator in this case.
I'm not talking about Lee. I was responding to the guy who said they couldn't see why a QB would possibly pick Iowa over Nebraska.

I'm not talking about Lee. I was responding to the guy who said they couldn't see why a QB would possibly pick Iowa over Nebraska.

It's those list of reasons for one. What applies to Lee applies to any QB who comes here

It's those list of reasons for one. What applies to Lee applies to any QB who comes here
And again maybe they look at Nebraksa hasn't had a QB drafted in over 25 years. But maybe Riley's system will turn that around.

I'm sure not many will admit it but you have to be a little nervous about Lee. He looked good in camps with shorts on but has been subpar in actual game play.

And again maybe they look at Nebraksa hasn't had a QB drafted in over 25 years. But maybe Riley's system will turn that around.

I'm sure not many will admit it but you have to be a little nervous about Lee. He looked good in camps with shorts on but has been subpar in actual game play.
I guess we're probably as optimistic as hawk fan breaking in two completely unproven QBs. Russell Wilson for Wisconsin and CJB for Iowa seemed to work out pretty well and if you're going to tell everyone you knew how good CJB would become save it. I like the odds of a healthy Tanner Lee being successful over two complete unknowns.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

The whole basis of your argument is that if he comes to Iowa he can drop back. And maybe be a mid round pick.

Any kid who has the talent can do at least that at NU and potentially more with the advantages we have invested in for our program.

Kid may be a HAwk fan and just want to play for the colors but in any neutral search we have several good feet to put forward

Outside of Bethard and Stazni has Iowa had a QB drafted in the last 25 years? And don't tell me Rudock because he left there and wouldn't have been drafted playing backup to Bethard.

Outside of Bethard and Stazni has Iowa had a QB drafted in the last 25 years? And don't tell me Rudock because he left there and wouldn't have been drafted playing backup to Bethard.

I was just going to mention this. Ferentz has had a lot of NFL success but QB has been something of a weak spot in 20 years at the helm

I guess we're probably as optimistic as hawk fan breaking in two completely unproven QBs. Russell Wilson for Wisconsin and CJB for Iowa seemed to work out pretty well and if you're going to tell everyone you knew how good CJB would become save it. I like the odds of a healthy Tanner Lee being successful over two complete unknowns.
I'm purely saying some QBs may favor a team like Iowa or Wisconsin over Nebraska purely on style of the system. It's not a jab at the talent at Nebraksa.

I believe it helped Russell Wilson a lot playing at Wisconsin and showing NFL scouts he thrived in a pro style offense. That doesn't mean CJB will be a stud in the NFL but it helps NFL scouts evaluate them.

I'm purely saying some QBs may favor a team like Iowa or Wisconsin over Nebraska purely on style of the system. It's not a jab at the talent at Nebraksa.

I believe it helped Russell Wilson a lot playing at Wisconsin and showing NFL scouts he thrived in a pro style offense. That doesn't mean CJB will be a stud in the NFL but it helps NFL scouts evaluate them.

No you were not "purely" saying anything. As a hawk fan you should worry about iowas issues at QB. The odds Lee is successful sooner than two QBs with little experience are pretty good.

But Nebraska is going to run a very similar system to Iowa and Wisconsin now that there is a QB on the roster that has the capability to throw a screen. So that point is moot now.

So both schools systems are pro style, both have elite facilities, but one has a load of extremely talented WRs coming in and the other doesn't. My point was that for QBs, most things are on similar fields between the schools, outside of the talent that Nebraska is bringing in as weapons to throw to. I am not trying to slam Iowa, but their WR recruiting has been mediocre at best as of late.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Again Russell Wilson, a grad transfer, Ricky Stazni and CJ Beathard are the only QBs drafted from those schools in probably 15 or more years. No qb is going to either school because of the draft possibilities they offer.

You have to come stronger than that.

Reactions: jflores and nurulzu
And come on, Riley and Langs are known to put the QBs in the league. But if we miss a year, this is the year to miss having Gebbia and OBrein lining up after Lee. I'm hoping we get that Cali 5 star QB Carrol. If so Iowa can have him ;)

But Nebraska is going to run a very similar system to Iowa and Wisconsin now that there is a QB on the roster that has the capability to throw a screen. So that point is moot now.

So both schools systems are pro style, both have elite facilities, but one has a load of extremely talented WRs coming in and the other doesn't. My point was that for QBs, most things are on similar fields between the schools, outside of the talent that Nebraska is bringing in as weapons to throw to. I am not trying to slam Iowa, but their WR recruiting has been mediocre at best as of late.
Nebraska is going to be running under center 80% of the time and using a fullback and tight end regularly?

Again Russell Wilson, a grad transfer, Ricky Stazni and CJ Beathard are the only QBs drafted from those schools in probably 15 or more years. No qb is going to either school because of the draft possibilities they offer.

You have to come stronger than that.
Jake Ruddock came from South Florida and got it down to two schools (Iowa, Wisconsin) before committing. Even when he transferred it was to a pro-style offense at Michigan. He had average numbers at both locations and is still in the NFL.

So yes some players absolutely choose schools based on their system. I'm going to guess he never considered a school like Baylor because of their type of offense, and because obviously he wouldn't fit in it. So keep thinking some QB would choose Nebraska over Iowa just because they are Nebraksa. A crappy Tulane player threw well at a passing camp and now everyone has their chest puffed out about the new QB.

Jake Ruddock came from South Florida and got it down to two schools (Iowa, Wisconsin) before committing. Even when he transferred it was to a pro-style offense at Michigan. He had average numbers at both locations and is still in the NFL.

So yes some players absolutely choose schools based on their system. I'm going to guess he never considered a school like Baylor because of their type of offense, and because obviously he wouldn't fit in it. So keep thinking some QB would choose Nebraska over Iowa just because they are Nebraksa. A crappy Tulane player threw well at a passing camp and now everyone has their chest puffed out about the new QB.
You're over here goof ball. All anyone said was that the opinion on the husker board is that a QB would choose the huskers over Iowa based on the fact that the huskers have more talent at WR. Iowa and Nebraska are now recruiting the same type of QB and if you think Iowa will win most recruiting battles with Nebraska you haven't been paying attention.

More than likely the kids looking at who Nebraska just brought in and other QB's on their radar. Competition will be just a tad higher in Lincoln than Iowa in the coming years.

So with that pro style system in place why aren't the top pro style high school QBs choosing Iowa or Wisconsin?

Nebraska has 2 in the last 2 years in OBrien and Gebbia? Weird huh?

From an interview with the OWH, it seems that Duggan believes throwing to some talented players is something pretty special, "There's going to be a lot of talent down there," Duggan said of NU's second FNL event. "It's an opportunity that doesn't come around very often."

It's an opportunity that won't happen ever again if he chooses Iowa, but could happen daily if he chooses NU.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_d4fc9eb2-55f3-11e7-9488-13888b81d8e0.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT