ADVERTISEMENT

Prime Rib Recipe

Cored

Walk On
Nov 5, 2006
I'm making prime rib for Christmas tomorrow. Anyone have a good recipe and cooking suggestion for me...thanks.

I make one every year.
Kosher salt and pepper.
That is it.
It depends on the size of the roast, but cover the bottom of a roasting pan with kosher salt and put the prime rib bone side down on it.
Then put some pepper on top and put some more kosher salt upside it.
Bake at about 210 for 4-5 hours and let it set for a couple 2-3 before cutting it up.

Serve with love and horseradish.

Coat the meat in salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, thyme, parsley, oregano, Rosemary

Put in the oven, rack wife down, cook at 325 until at your desired temp (125 for med-rare). Take out of the oven and let it rest for 20-30 mins. Preheat oven to 500 degrees, put the prime rib back in for 8 mins to sear and serve immediately.

When the prime rib is resting, scrape the drippings into a skillet, add a couple table spoons of worctershire sauce, half of a cup red wine and one cup beef stock. Reduce by half, whisk in a little thyme and salt to taste and you have your au jus.

Serve with horseradish sour cream and French bread.

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
last year i used Guy Fieri's recipe (he has video with the recipe). for those using an oven, it was one of the best prime rib's i ever ate. doing it again today. i don't know, maybe i got lucky, but, last years was fabulous. using it today, too.

It's a little late for Christmas, but I do prime rib for Christmas every year.

6-8 lb prime rib
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 teaspoons Rosemary
2 teaspoons Thyme
A dash of mustard powder
3 cloves garlic
Fresh cracked salt, pepper and desired prime rib rub as needed.

Mix all of the above in a bowl, rub generously over meat, wrap in plastic wrap and let sit in fridge 24 hours. Cook at 275 to 300 for 3.5 to 4 hours or until internal temp is 125 degrees. Allow to rest on cutting board 20-30 minutes. Carve, serve, savor. Best wit a dry, earthy, red wine.

I could tell you how I started with this...

4_zpsluvb7n6u.jpg

Used all this to cook/smoke it....

2_zps3pvvdca0.jpg

To get to this point....

1_zpsoxem2kae.jpg

But then I'd have to kill you....

My uncle made prime rib tonight in a roaster. It turned out surprisingly well. It didn't have the crust. It could have maybe used a few minutes in the oven at 500. But it was still good.

I prefer it out of the oven, but the roaster seems like an easy way to do it for novices. One hour at 500 and then 2-3 hours at 200.

Sean Callahan and others swear by this method, haven't tried it yet, but hear nothing but good things. It will make a perfect medium-rare prime rib.

1) Buy a prime rib roast

2) Leave out overnight (at least 6 hours) to get to room temperature

3) Make seasoned butter.
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp Herb de Provence​

4) Mix and spread butter all over the rib roast

5) Add salt and pepper over the top of the roast

6) Preheat oven to 500 degrees

7) Multiply exact weight of roast by 5. Result is how many minutes to cook at 500 degress. (Example: 3.75 lbs roast x 5 = 18.75 minutes) Cook the roast at 500 degrees for exactly this amount of time

8) After time expires, turn off heat but leave roast in oven for additional two hours. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

9) After two hours, remove and serve.

I'm going to give that recipe a host Alumni, thanks for posting it. The amount of trouble I go thru to cook on the holiday's is more than I usually like. It's tough to mingle with everyone when you're doing the grillin and smoking, not to mention the time required. I know many other men here are in the same boat, first world problem for sure...But...By the time I start cooking on my gas grill, then move it over to the smoker for a kiss of smoke, then finish on some coals (whatever I have for coals, which varies) for the crust, is really time consuming. Produces an amazing piece of meat though. If I could remove that effort from every holiday and get something just as good, that would be awesome.

Here I am getting the last 8ish degrees on a prime, and installing the crust. That pic was easily my best cook ever. Way time consuming. I am also starting to wonder if I am a candidate for an Egg, or something like it.

Fine%20prime_zpsma8akbnf.jpg

Prime rib/rib roast is our holiday tradition. My preferred method is in the oven with a meat thermometer, low and slow to cook, hot at the end for a crust. Allow a half hour rest before slicing.

I have done the 500 degf then oven off method. Works pretty well, but mine ended up closer to rare. Good for me, but most of my family and guests want the meat medium rare to medium.

Prime rib/rib roast is our holiday tradition. My preferred method is in the oven with a meat thermometer, low and slow to cook, hot at the end for a crust. Allow a half hour rest before slicing.

I have done the 500 degf then oven off method. Works pretty well, but mine ended up closer to rare. Good for me, but most of my family and guests want the meat medium rare to medium.

What's your method?

You are correct, this is the BEST way to cook prime rib. One of the most famous steak houses in New York cooks their prime rib this way and charge $55 a pound. I've used this method for the last 6 years comes out perfect every time!
Sean Callahan and others swear by this method, haven't tried it yet, but hear nothing but good things. It will make a perfect medium-rare prime rib.

1) Buy a prime rib roast

2) Leave out overnight (at least 6 hours) to get to room temperature

3) Make seasoned butter.
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp Herb de Provence​

4) Mix and spread butter all over the rib roast

5) Add salt and pepper over the top of the roast

6) Preheat oven to 500 degrees

7) Multiply exact weight of roast by 5. Result is how many minutes to cook at 500 degress. (Example: 3.75 lbs roast x 5 = 18.75 minutes) Cook the roast at 500 degrees for exactly this amount of time

8) After time expires, turn off heat but leave roast in oven for additional two hours. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

9) After two hours, remove and serve.

I am about 20 minutes into the 2 hour wait on a 6 pound hunk. Hope it turns out good!!!

For those that just bought prime rib, what was it going for in the stores?

Stupid question with that...is is labeled as Prime Rib or does it have other names?

Stupid question with that...is is labeled as Prime Rib or does it have other names?
There is bone in and boneless. Just ask the meat counter (hyvee will cut it to your desired weight). It was 12.99 lb for boneless and 9.99 lb for bone-in earlier today. I prefer boneless to avoid much carving trouble. I am even going to try wine with it (gotta run and get some). I am a boutbon drinker, and have never liked wine. Anyone got any suggestions? and don't bother with expensive suggestions, because I will likely hate it. I will drop a Ben on a nice bottle of bourbon (because I know I will like it). Not gonna do that with dirty, rotten, smashed-up grapes.

There is bone in and boneless. Just ask the meat counter (hyvee will cut it to your desired weight). It was 12.99 lb for boneless and 9.99 lb for bone-in earlier today. I prefer boneless to avoid much carving trouble. I am even going to try wine with it (gotta run and get some). I am a boutbon drinker, and have never liked wine. Anyone got any suggestions? and don't bother with expensive suggestions, because I will likely hate it. I will drop a Ben on a nice bottle of bourbon (because I know I will like it). Not gonna do that with dirty, rotten, smashed-up grapes.
Thanks! Is it just "Bone-in Prime Rib"?

Also, if you have a trader joes near you get the two-buck chuck for your wine...I think it is 2.99 and most people enjoy it, even non-wine drinkers (I like it and I hate wine too)

Thanks! Is it just "Bone-in Prime Rib"?

Also, if you have a trader joes near you get the two-buck chuck for your wine...I think it is 2.99 and most people enjoy it, even non-wine drinkers (I like it and I hate wine too)
It will be labeled "bone-in rib roast" if you want the bone-in. They will go back and cut the boneless if you ask. And make damn sure it is graded prime.

It will be labeled "bone-in rib roast" if you want the bone-in. They will go back and cut the boneless if you ask. And make damn sure it is graded prime.

Thank you! I might try that this week. Appreciate the help

Do the cooking method here for time and temp. The key is end...getting it up to the desired temp and while letting it rest, raising the oven temp as high as possible them putting it back in for 8 minutes to get the crust. I'll post pics from last year's when I get back to my computer. It really works great.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

As for the flavor...salt and pepper and cutting little slats all over the cap and putting a garlic chunk and a Rosemary bud in it.

I cut it off the bone after cooking it but if you don't want to do that, ask your butcher to cut it off and tie it on so it still gets the effect of bone in cooking.

OR

Been doing this as our Christmas meal for the past 5-6 yrs. I cooked one 5 lber in the oven- first 25 minutes at 450 and then turned down to 250 and cooked until meat got up to 120 degrees. The second 5 lber was cooked on the smoker for about 4 hrs. Both turned out excellent. I usually make a marinade that is made of liquid smoke, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce and a little water. Let is sit for a day, then marinade the meat for 24 hrs or so. For au jus, use pan drippings, red wine, beef broth and thyme.

Here's the grades, highest to lowest, sold in stores: Prime, choice, select.
Rib roast. If it is graded as "prime beef", then it's prime rib. Most stores sell "choice beef" in the Midwest.

What's your method?

I'll set it out for a couple hours. Coat with a little oil, salt, ground pepper, and ground fennel seeds right before cooking it. I usually only cook one with 3 or more rib bones. I tried cooking a two rib one it didn't work out so well, it was well-done on the edges, rarer in the middle. It was still good, just not super good rib roast.

I cook 2 or 3 rib roasts a year. I use a meat thermometer to take out some of the guesswork. I'll start out at 250 oven temp. I target for around 130 to 135 degf internal temperature for more of a medium finished product. Internal temp will warm up more out of the oven maybe 10 or 15 deg. Some guesswork on timing to allow around 30 minutes rest as to taking the oven to 500 degf. I plan for around 5 hours cooking, not counting the "crusting" at 500. I use a timer and check the temp every 30 minutes. It's a lot more work than the 500 for 5/minutes per pound, but my family doesn't like rare and I don't like leaving uncooked meat out for a long time. So, depending on the starting internal starting temperature, there may be a rest before crusting, or crusting to finish before resting.

If you're cooking one of the pre-cut and tied (ribs separated), you're taking a bigger chance of getting the runs if you set it out to get to room temperature, and unfortunately that's happened. Nothing like watching people fight over using the bathroom next.

The one I cooked this year for Christmas was setting out 3 hours, and the internal temp was still 42 degF when I was putting it in the oven. That's why I like using a meat thermometer.

I make one every year.
Kosher salt and pepper.
That is it.
It depends on the size of the roast, but cover the bottom of a roasting pan with kosher salt and put the prime rib bone side down on it.
Then put some pepper on top and put some more kosher salt upside it.
Bake at about 210 for 4-5 hours and let it set for a couple 2-3 before cutting it up.

Serve with love and horseradish.

Horseradish and sour cream mix is how i make love to a prime rib!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT