ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Making my 2nd Prime Rib on Monday … pointers??

RBigredMax

Senior
Mar 23, 2023
I made my first prime rib a few months ago that turned out great. Salt/Pepper/Fresh thyme and Rosemary.

Cooked it for 20-30 mins at 500 degrees and then at 300 until internal temp was 125. Wrapped it up and let it rest for about 30 mins.

It turned out really good - but always looking to try something new.

Salt and pepper, if in the oven the 500 degree way works great. I don't do 300. Trust the oven and don't look. Most importantly is the time you want to eat and work it backwards . Season it however your hearts desire.

Most Most important is the quality of meat. Do not skimp and use select. Certified angus beef choice or higher grade only way to go. Don't trim too close.

Enjoy

Mince some garlic and make a paste with the garlic, your rosemerry, and thyme/pepper mixed with some olive oil. I sprinkle a dash or two of worchestershershire sauce or whatever it is haha.

Another thing I do is Dry brine my prime with kosher salt. Dry it off good, kosher salt all over, let it sit in fridge for 6 hours or so before putting the paste on then cooking it.

However, one disclaimer is I dont cook mine like you do. I just rock it at 240 on the traeger until it hits 127-130 then pull it off to rest. 500 degrees might burn the garlic?? Not sure.

Salt and pepper, if in the oven the 500 degree way works great. I don't do 300. Trust the oven and don't look. Most importantly is the time you want to eat and work it backwards . Season it however your hearts desire.

Most Most important is the quality of meat. Do not skimp and use select. Certified angus beef choice or higher grade only way to go. Don't trim too close.

Enjoy
I’ll disagree with this.
Not all ovens are the same. I tried this once and I am meticulous about following directions. It didnt cook right.
Im sure it works for most people/ovens.

Reactions: Streamer15
Mince some garlic and make a paste with the garlic, your rosemerry, and thyme/pepper mixed with some olive oil. I sprinkle a dash or two of worchestershershire sauce or whatever it is haha.

Another thing I do is Dry brine my prime with kosher salt. Dry it off good, kosher salt all over, let it sit in fridge for 6 hours or so before putting the paste on then cooking it.

However, one disclaimer is I dont cook mine like you do. I just rock it at 240 on the traeger until it hits 127-130 then pull it off to rest. 500 degrees might burn the garlic?? Not sure.
Good stuff - will try just doing consistent temp the whole time. Initially was trying to get a bit of a crust with the 500. I did not brine it the first time either so will try this method! Thanks!

I made my first prime rib a few months ago that turned out great. Salt/Pepper/Fresh thyme and Rosemary.

Cooked it for 20-30 mins at 500 degrees and then at 300 until internal temp was 125. Wrapped it up and let it rest for about 30 mins.

That's pretty much how we cook ours in a gas oven. 15 min at 550 then 12-15 min per pound at 325 depending on med rare or medium. Shooting for internal temp 125-130.

I found it best to bring it to about room temp before putting in the oven.

The standard way of cooking is completely wrong. By cooking it hot at first, the outer layers overcook before the center reaches medium-rare. Coat the roast in olive oil, rub on your fresh herbs and garlic. Set your oven to the lowest temp it goes and cook low and slow until it reaches 125 (for med-rare). Pull the roast out and set on a cutting board. Now turn your oven up as high as it goes, and after the roast has rested for 20 minutes, put the roast back in for 5-10 minutes to form your crust. This ensures the outer layers over cook as little as possible and gives you a more uniform cook. The smoker is also an excellent suggestion, and uses the same rationale.

I don’t have a sous vide but I’ve heard they are awesome. Do you use yours for ribeyes, filet’s etc?
I have a Sous vide. Love it. I do all sorts of stuff with it. From chuck roast to cheese cake. I use it more in the winter and return to my smoker and grill when weather permits.

Reactions: Streamer15
I don’t have a sous vide but I’ve heard they are awesome. Do you use yours for ribeyes, filet’s etc?
Sous vide is awesome for many things. I use one multiple nights per week. It requires you to start your protein much earlier but takes almost no work to achieve a perfect cook. Just be prepared to sear afterward. I personally don’t have an issue with poultry and pork without a sear but can understand where some do. Most beef needs a sear.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
The standard way of cooking is completely wrong. By cooking it hot at first, the outer layers overcook before the center reaches medium-rare. Coat the roast in olive oil, rub on your fresh herbs and garlic. Set your oven to the lowest temp it goes and cook low and slow until it reaches 125 (for med-rare). Pull the roast out and set on a cutting board. Now turn your oven up as high as it goes, and after the roast has rested for 20 minutes, put the roast back in for 5-10 minutes to form your crust. This ensures the outer layers over cook as little as possible and gives you a more uniform cook. The smoker is also an excellent suggestion, and uses the same rationale.
Do you cover it/wrap it while on cutting board or just let it sit and rest?

I do something similar but I purposely want the Rosemary Garlic to develop a char for the taste. (I do the same thing with Tri-Tip ) Here are a few pics and recipe amounts of my last P.R. Roast.

First I make a Horseradish Sauce for the P.R.

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)
1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
pinch of cayenne
2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)
2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)

Next I make the Rosemary Garlic paste. (Amount may need to be tweaked depending on the size of the P.R.)

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)
1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO (Just enough to make it a paste)

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

I cooked mine on my kamado at 250 degrees but you can cook this in the oven as well.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium. If you want it to be medium rare then pull it at around 117 derees. It will continue cooking as it sits.)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.

Here are some pics of me slicing it.

On the table on the Christmas platter.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Pataskala Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

Last edited:
I do something similar but I purposely want the Rosemary Garlic to develop a char for the taste. (I do the same thing with Tri-Tip ) Here are a few pics and recipe amounts of my last P.R. Roast.

pinch of cayenne

Next I make the Rosemary Garlic paste. (Amount may need to be tweaked depending on the size of the P.R.)

3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

I cooked mine on my kamado but you can cook this in the oven as well.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Pataskala Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.
This is the content this board needs more of. Wow.

pinch of cayenne

3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper

I cooked mine on my kamado but you can cook this in the oven as well.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

What temp did you do your main cook at? That looks awesome!

What temp did you do your main cook at? That looks awesome!
Kamado was at 250 degrees. Remember the roast was at room temp so it didn't take that long to come up to 124. (Maybe 3 to 3 1/2 hours) I had a digital thermometer in it so I could monitor the temp without opening the lid. (If you're looking you're not cooking Smokin)

If you want it to be medium rare then pull it at around 117 derees. It will continue cooking as it sits while you get your kamado (or oven) up tp to searing temps. My kamdo was around 650 degrees but it was over hot coals so only 1 minute per side.

If you do it in an oven, most top out at approx. 550 degrees and it's indirect heat so 5 to 10 minute as was stated above.

Last edited:

Fat is okay for this meal, you want a good fat to meat ratio to help with the juices/moisture.

pinch of cayenne

3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper

I cooked mine on my kamado at 250 degrees but you can cook this in the oven as well.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium. If you want it to be medium rare then pull it at around 117 derees. It will continue cooking as it sits.)

Damn It Wesley Snipes GIF by IMDb

Reactions: DerHusker
Smoke at 250 until at 123 degrees internal. Rest 20 minutes. Sear at 450 for about 15 minutes (remember to turn it) or until internal is 132. It will ”cook up” to the 135 temp after you remove it. It won’t require a long rest since you already did that after the smoke..

Reactions: RBigredMax

I make tri tip instead of Prime rib. I have 2 roasts that have a combined weight of 4 lbs. that I will be cooking for Christmas dinner. First, I will rub good quality olive oil all over them. I will put then put them in two separate ziplock gallon bags tomorrow (Sunday) with a bunch of smashed up garlic, fresh thyme, sage and rosemary. I have these herbs in large pots in my protected back patio along the wall of the house and under the soffits for protection, so they usually last through the winter. I will put some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper in the bags before sealing them up and putting in the fridge. I am sure this will work great for prime rib as well. I got sick and threw-up after eating prime rib in the seventh grade, so I don't make it. Make sure you take your prime rib out of the fridge an hour before cooking it. It will come up in temperature and cook better than if it is cold. I will cook the tri tip using the rotisserie on my Weber gas grill. I've been doing it this way for years and it comes out great. I would do the same if I was cooking a prime rib. (This method does require an additional step. I will cook a much cheaper piece of bone-in beef low and slow in the oven on Sunday, so I have something to make gravy with. I do not mind this step because I think making gravy is the one thing that can get stressful if you are doing it with guests milling around and everyone is waiting to eat. I can take my time and get it right. I will capture the juices from the tri tip in an aluminum pan placed underneath the rotisserie that will add great flavor to the gravy.)

Reactions: RBigredMax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT