ADVERTISEMENT

Porcher no longer committed

I hope some of you realize what kind of schedule is on tap for in 2018 which would be year 4 under Riley's staff..

At Michigan
Purdue
At Wisconsin
At Nortwestern
Minnesota
At Ohio State
Illinois
Michigan State
At Iowa

Could be the toughest schedule we will have since entering the leauge including the Inaugural year so we better have a returning QB starting in 2018 if we have a chance to make some noise.

I have no problem giving Riley 5 years by that time all his players are fulling in the system and I see 2019 is the year we should be in the B1G CCG and winning it if Riley's our guy.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts.

People as a herd tend to do pendulum tendencies. Swings too far one way, then another. Pelini was a coordinator given 7 years to right the ship. The next guy was basically *not* going to be a coordinator (enter the proven HC mantra and the no training wheels thing) and will not be given anywhere near that time frame. Some of the board have taken that to the extreme, if we have our guy, he'll be like Stoops and win it all in Year 2. That's clearly not the strategery.

However that doesn't mean that Riley is going to be given the rest of his natural life, which is what the Year 2 extremists tend believe will happen because Pelini.

And secondly, yes, the schedules are pretty tough upcoming. Evaluation of the coaching staff will probably not be a purely W-L metric. May well go 9-3 the next couple years, but look pretty dang good while doing it and clear progress is seen. Or we may flame out and move on. Certainly up for a fight when the time comes.

However, we'll be paying a pretty decent buyout. They aren't going to let him get too far under the four year mark for recruiting per usual.

Reactions: HuskerO
I hope some of you realize what kind of schedule is on tap for in 2018 which would be year 4 under Riley's staff..

At Michigan
Purdue
At Wisconsin
At Nortwestern
Minnesota
At Ohio State
Illinois
Michigan State
At Iowa

Could be the toughest schedule we will have since entering the leauge including the Inaugural year so we better have a returning QB starting in 2018 if we have a chance to make some noise.

I have no problem giving Riley 5 years by that time all his players are fulling in the system and I see 2019 is the year we should be in the B1G CCG and winning it if Riley's our guy.
That seems fair because 2018 is gonna be a 7-5 type year at best

That seems fair because 2018 is gonna be a 7-5 type year at best

IMO, its a tough schedule with the away games, but....

its well within our capability to beat all but 2 of those teams on a regular basis. I'm all for giving Riley a long leash and I think he will get 5 years, but he will probably face serious heat if he doesn't win at least 8 and probably 9 of those with a SR QB.

Reactions: timnsun
Other sites are reporting Porcher will visit Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, with GT in the lead.

Distance is always been somewhat of a challenge for Nebraska in recruiting

I wasn't aware Blacksburg, Virginia is warmer than Lincoln, Nebraska. [It's not]

Orlando, Tampa, Tuscon & Tempe would be a "climate change" decision.

with global warming, in another 100-200 years living in Florida, Alabama, Texas, California, etc will be akin to living on the sun
Nebraska on the other hand will have a more temperate climate

we just need to be patient and ride out the next century or 2 until the tables turn

Distance is always been somewhat of a challenge for Nebraska in recruiting
tOSU and Michigan are your historical peers in this conference...ask your self why they are able to recruit kids from every corner of the country?

tOSU and Michigan are your historical peers in this conference...ask your self why they are able to recruit kids from every corner of the country?

Both schools are enhanced by in-state recruiting, cross and border state opportunities as well. Let's not act like either school is forced to find a majority of their studs from out of state like Nebraska has to.

OSU 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
33/80 from in-state or border state
6.6 per class

UM 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
25/59 from in-state or border state
5 per class

NU 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
8/24 from in-state or border state
1.6 per class

And let's not forget the population difference of not only the respective state but their borders as well. [See below]

Not only that, Ohio State has the highest population of any major school within a 500 mile radius. Michigan is a heck of an education. I could mention Michigan hiring a high school coach from New Jersey, that benefited with 4 studs, but we'll skip over that. For now.

Ohio, plus border = roughly 47,000,000
Michigan, plus border = roughly 22,000,000
Nebraska, plus border = roughly 14,000,000

Go ahead, mention the close population difference between Nebraska & Michigan, I'm ready for that.

At Michigan
Purdue
At Wisconsin
At Nortwestern
Minnesota
At Ohio State
Illinois
Michigan State
At Iowa

Wisconsin didn't need one

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Gotta keep the threat correct,my man ...those places will actually be underwater and Nebraska will be beachfront. I better sell by Destin beachfront places and buy in Omaha in preparation.

On a side note, my nephews Lib in law is on a massive kick that there are gonna be alligators in Omaha due to Global Warming....he's serious. He didn't appreciate when I asked about crocodiles.

Mental illness is a big problem these days.
I laughed

Here's some more built-in advantages.

State of Ohio, 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]

80 total recruits
40 went to OSU, UM, MSU [5 TBD]

State of Michigan, 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
32 total recruits
23 went to UM, MSU [4 TBD]

State of Nebraska, 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
1 total recruit [not a misprint either, ONE]
1 went to Nebraska

This topic of "peers do it why hasn't Nebraska?" is so obvious it shouldn't even be a discussion. With that said, I sure hope nobody jumps on all of this as an excuse, I expect better recruiting at Nebraska. But it doesn't change the facts that Nebraska has to work harder to land "premier recruits".

with global warming, in another 100-200 years living in Florida, Alabama, Texas, California, etc will be akin to living on the sun
Nebraska on the other hand will have a more temperate climate

we just need to be patient and ride out the next century or 2 until the tables turn

We already reside in a temperate climate

Both schools are enhanced by in-state recruiting, cross and border state opportunities as well. Let's not act like either school is forced to find a majority of their studs from out of state like Nebraska has to.

OSU 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
33/80 from in-state or border state
6.6 per class

UM 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
25/59 from in-state or border state
5 per class

NU 2013-2017 [4* or 5*]
8/24 from in-state or border state
1.6 per class

And let's not forget the population difference of not only the respective state but their borders as well. [See below]

Not only that, Ohio State has the highest population of any major school within a 500 mile radius. Michigan is a heck of an education. I could mention Michigan hiring a high school coach from New Jersey, that benefited with 4 studs, but we'll skip over that. For now.

Ohio, plus border = roughly 47,000,000
Michigan, plus border = roughly 22,000,000
Nebraska, plus border = roughly 14,000,000

Go ahead, mention the close population difference between Nebraska & Michigan, I'm ready for that.
Well thought out but I suggest you look at this less defensively and see it for what is possible. For example, using your numbers, tOSU has landed 47 4/5* non-border kids to your 16. That is a 3:1 ratio. Make that closer to 2:1 (by rising to their recruiting level and not having them fall back) and NU is probably something like 10 places highly on the recruiting rankings on an annual basis (and likely dominating the B10 West). Speaking of tOSU's recruiting...the big factor to look at is how many Ohio 4*s they choose not to go after (because they can land even bigger fish elsewhere)...yes, they choose to go far away and right now are killing it.

You would think that would benefit Michigan. In Harbaugh's first full two classes (last year and this current class) he has so far landed one Ohio 4*. If you crunch the numbers for just Harbaughs classes you likely find a completely different story...a story in which one of your peer programs is building top 5 classes on the backs of kids not in their own state or border states also.

And let's do talk about the Partridge hire (coach from NJ). Michigan has also hired a high school coaches from FL, MD, AL, OH, etc. They all have something in common and it's not that they had an elite recruit at their school...it is that they ran state chapionship programs that were nationally ranked and have a desire to break into college coaching. So, Harbaugh is able to offer them analyst and admin positions, build a pipeline of coaching talent (one has already been promoted to a full position coach after a year in our recruiting office) and play a significant role in a program (beyond recruiting) while ALSO giving the benefit of their connections. This is not something Michigan is the first to tap into and we've already had a couple poached (one to Miami, one to Oregon) to schools who can give them bigger roles immediately.

Instead of questioning Michigan's strategies maybe you should be asking why your school isn't doing more things like this? Look, I get it...Michigan and in particular Ohio has more talent than Nebraska. But neither is Fla, TX or Cali...both schools are in rust belt states and have to make a significant splash nationally to be at an elite level. Right now both schools are doing that (tOSU for awhile now and Michigan getting started back there). Sure, we can pick a part the differences between the 3 programs but the common denominator is that all three are blood blood programs with a ton to sell to national recruits. So no I don't buy into the whole it can't be done at NU thing because your peers are doing it right now.

Reactions: Digger6185
Well thought out but I suggest you look at this less defensively and see it for what is possible. For example, using your numbers, tOSU has landed 47 4/5* non-border kids to your 16. That is a 3:1 ratio. Make that closer to 2:1 (by rising to their recruiting level and not having them fall back) and NU is probably something like 10 places highly on the recruiting rankings on an annual basis (and likely dominating the B10 West). Speaking of tOSU's recruiting...the big factor to look at is how many Ohio 4*s they choose not to go after (because they can land even bigger fish elsewhere)...yes, they choose to go far away and right now are killing it.

You're from the outside looking at a situation I've followed for many of decades so hold off on saying my response is "defensive". What you fail to miss is the point that Ohio State & Michigan grab who they want from a larger number of in-state/border recruits. Nebraska doesn't have that luxury. You can share any ratio you want, it doesn't change the fact that OSU/UM land a heck of a lot more highly regarded guys from in-state than Nebraska.

You would think that would benefit Michigan. In Harbaugh's first full two classes (last year and this current class) he has so far landed one Ohio 4*. If you crunch the numbers for just Harbaughs classes you likely find a completely different story...a story in which one of your peer programs is building top 5 classes on the backs of kids not in their own state or border states also.

He has the luxury of landing six [6] 4*/5*guys in-state over the last 2 classes. That's six [6] guys Nebraska doesn't have the luxury with.

And let's do talk about the Partridge hire (coach from NJ). Michigan has also hired a high school coaches from FL, MD, AL, OH, etc. They all have something in common and it's not that they had an elite recruit at their school...it is that they ran state chapionship programs that were nationally ranked and have a desire to break into college coaching. So, Harbaugh is able to offer them analyst and admin positions, build a pipeline of coaching talent (one has already been promoted to a full position coach after a year in our recruiting office) and play a significant role in a program (beyond recruiting) while ALSO giving the benefit of their connections. This is not something Michigan is the first to tap into and we've already had a couple poached (one to Miami, one to Oregon) to schools who can give them bigger roles immediately.

You won't get a complaint from me what Harbaugh did. Nebraska should've done this 2 years ago to take advantage of the rewards. The fact remains though, those hires are a direct result of landing studs. Again, it's not a complaint but a fact to point out.

Instead of questioning Michigan's strategies maybe you should be asking why your school isn't doing more things like this? Look, I get it...Michigan and in particular Ohio has more talent than Nebraska. But neither is Fla, TX or Cali...both schools are in rust belt states and have to make a significant splash nationally to be at an elite level. Right now both schools are doing that (tOSU for awhile now and Michigan getting started back there). Sure, we can pick a part the differences between the 3 programs but the common denominator is that all three are blood blood programs with a ton to sell to national recruits. So no I don't buy into the whole it can't be done at NU thing because your peers are doing it right now.

Questioning Michigan? I couldn't give 2 craps less what Michigan does. You came to a Husker website, not the other way around. Your program is a pig with lipstick.

...And let's do talk about the Partridge hire (coach from NJ). Michigan has also hired a high school coaches from FL, MD, AL, OH, etc. They all have something in common and it's not that they had an elite recruit at their school...it is that they ran state chapionship programs that were nationally ranked and have a desire to break into college coaching. So, Harbaugh is able to offer them analyst and admin positions, build a pipeline of coaching talent (one has already been promoted to a full position coach after a year in our recruiting office) and play a significant role in a program (beyond recruiting) while ALSO giving the benefit of their connections. This is not something Michigan is the first to tap into and we've already had a couple poached (one to Miami, one to Oregon) to schools who can give them bigger roles immediately.

Our main employment prerequisite was that OrSU had to show up on your job history. Maybe Riley didn't want to break in new people on how many lumps of sugar he wants in his coffee. I'll give Riley Kudo's on his more recent hires though.

In April there'll be a vote. From what I've read a 10th position coach is looking like a real possibility. Do we strategically hire the best possible recruiter/coach from a recruiting hotbed area? Or do we hire a GA (with OrSU job history) that will be coaching a position that just had the only out state recruit decommit and let him learn on NU's dime?

Our main employment prerequisite was that OrSU had to show up on your job history. Maybe Riley didn't want to break in new people on how many lumps of sugar he wants in his coffee. I'll give Riley Kudo's on his more recent hires though.

In April there'll be a vote. From what I've read a 10th position coach is looking like a real possibility. Do we strategically hire the best possible recruiter/coach from a recruiting hotbed area? Or do we hire a GA (with OrSU job history) that will be coaching a position that just had the only out state recruit decommit and let him learn on NU's dime?

Complete crap and you know it. Stewart, Hughes, Davis, Williams, Williams, Parrella.

Its going to depend on who Riley blames for Leitao leaving. Kids can leave, and it not be Tavita's fault.

Look, Riley just hired a Top 10 recruiter in DW. It appears from the CB predictions in the last couple days, that the national guys are not that hot on a bunch of "his guys" following DW to NU, specifically Greg Johnson and Joe Lewis. Is that DW's fault?

DW has the street cred, and if he can't reel in Johnson, is Riley going to look at Tavita's situation and say, "well, I'm going to blame Tavita for losing his guy because he's a GA noob, but my all world guy had the same result but he gets a pass?". In all likelihood, I would gather that Riley is the type of guy that is going to look at Tavita's skillset and try and figure out if its a match for what he wants, the specific outcome of Leitao be damned. Its entirely possible he hired, I don't know, Vernon Davis, and Leitao still goes to UT.

Personally, I would like Riley to go get another DW at the TE/OL position, and if he thinks Tavita can morph into that, then that's his call too. I just hope the decision is not made over the outcome of Leitao, but the totality of the package we're getting.

Complete bullshit and you know it. Stewart, Hughes, Davis, Williams, Williams, Parrella.

ellobo was talking about everyone that does not have "coach" in their title.

Here is link with bio's. Come back and argue with me after you see how many OrSU people there are.

Edit: and since you want to name coaches. Banker, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, Davis, Bray, Read (now gone), 3 of 4 GA's, Phillips (S&C head coach), Clete McCleod (asst S&C coach).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT