ADVERTISEMENT

Porcher no longer committed

Crap, didn't see that coming. Being too far from home seems like an odd concern for a son of an NFL player.

Saw that on his Twitter. sucks but better to find out now than 2 weeks into his 1st season. If we cant win the line of scrimmage we will never compete for titles.

Tough kid to lose, but rather he figure it out now than come to a Lincoln for a year and transfer back home.

Tough to blame this on Parella, he can't make Florida closer to Lincoln. Hope we can find someone else to help lessen the blow.

Reese Leitao could be a very good DE. But we need the help at TE just as much as DE and he is another decommit candidate.

Unless Parrella has a rabbit up his sleeve nobody knows about, there isn't one. It's gonna be a crazy 7 weeks to the finish line.
Thanks. That's what I suspected. Not good. You would think it would be easy to recruit some pretty good defensive ends right now given how thin we are there.

Porcher gone. Leitao visits Texas. Guy Thomas visits Maryland. D Thomas visits OU. Need a couple good weeks or this is going to be another Pelini like scramble come January.
Agreed. Better hope those silent commit rumors are true!
And I notice three of those players you mention are on the defensive line. Tough week for Parella

They probably are. But they probably aren't DL.

I am hoping that Parrella has a back up plan as he has known this is a possibility for awhile. The DE situation was precisely when we found out that Riley informed those guys about the January visit policy, so we know they have been wavering for a while.

I don't think we're going to end up with any game changing talent as a backfill, but we can get some solid players. Hopefully Guy sticks it out. We can probably shift D. Thomas outside and backfill him with Lynch.

Reactions: tpmcg
And I notice three of those players you mention are on the defensive line. Tough week for Parella

I wish Parella all the success in the world. The tradition coalition will lose its mind if he fails and what it would represent.

Jason Peter went on the radio seemingly daily to hawk for the guy, and how he'd be the best thing for the Big Red DL since basically ever. Selling the history, the true meaning of the Blackshirt, all that other stuff that makes a fan base feel good.

I'm very excited about having Parella on board, but the implications of a potential failure are shuddering to think about. If he can't sell the tradition and get us back on track in the trenches, who exactly can?

Need a couple good weeks or this is going to be another Pelini like scramble come January.

What's strange is, since Parrella visited Porcher, we didn't see any new offers go out nor did we see JP visit anyone else. The only two links during this time frame are an in-home with Beal and Lynch changing his commitment to USC.

The timing of this is bad.

What's strange is, since Parrella visited Porcher, we didn't see any new offers go out nor did we see JP visit anyone else. The only two links during this time frame are an in-home with Beal and Lynch changing his commitment to USC.

The timing of this is bad.

Well, I believe he visited Beal *after* vising Porcher.

In fact I asked specifically why, if Porcher/Thomas were wavering, did Vaughan only put out "Paint the Nation Red" Tweets of Parella to Florida.

Seemed kind of weird to me, to not have any other visits lined up, if he was visiting two guys he knew were looking around (especially when it came out that the "no January visits" thing was laid down then). But then the Beal visit came out, and finally Shelvin.

I was just going to post something along these lines. Very similar players, base end type.

Would he play inside or outside?

I thought he was something like 6-4 and 285 already.

D. Thomas is somewhere around 240 and is a pretty good pass rusher?

Well, that kinda sucks. This is a big loss, no matter how you try to make it sound.

The goalpost for me will not be moved back. Top 15 classes are a requirement if we ever want to get back to winning championships.

Reactions: otismotis08
I'm going to believe that Parella has this covered .. otherwise this is in the same neighborhood of stuff ups that got Hughes canned

I think we'll find out who in the fanbase truly wants to win in the trenches like Iowa and Wisconsin do. We're going to have to be very workman like over the next couple years to get it done on the DL in particular.

Reactions: jeans15
Dare I ask what in-state options (scholarship or otherwise) might reasonably be looked at?

Where does Porcher go? I did not see any other visits other than Ann Arbor. Any chance he reconsiders?

Where does Porcher go? I did not see any other visits. Any chance he reconsiders?

Not exactly sure what the relationship is between Parella and say the father. I'd like to think Parella gives one last talk with the dad about his son's pro potential and getting used to the business of football. Mom and Dad can afford to see every game, the extended family probably can't and if that's the sticking point, there's not a lot of middle ground.

I rewatched the 96 Fiesta Bowl & 98 Bowl this weekend. It was very clear the major difference between Nebraska and Florida & Tennessee was the line play. Nebraska had 4 NFL players on the defensive line in both those games. The offensive line was pushing the defensive line back 3-4 yds on most plays. We had good players at the other positions but our best players were on the lines. Im more convinced than ever unless we dominate the line of scrimmage we wont see anymore hardware in our trophy case. those 4 defensive linemen are most important players on a championship team. We held Florida to less than 10 rushing yds and had 7 or 8 sacks. Quarterbacks are great and they are important but imo i want to build our line more than anything.

Well, that kinda sucks. This is a big loss, no matter how you try to make it sound.

The goalpost for me will not be moved back. Top 15 classes are a requirement if we ever want to get back to winning championships.

I dont see Nebraska getting into the top 15 recruiting classes until they start winning the big games and start being a regular in the CCG and Playoff pucture (not necessarily in the playoff but at least in thecinversation). That wont happen without proper coaching up of lessor talented guys. Im not saying this staff cant do thatn but to get elite talent you have to be up with tue big dogs in rankings at the end of the season, not just in the middle of the season for a few weeks.

I rewatched the 96 Fiesta Bowl & 98 Bowl this weekend. It was very clear the major difference between Nebraska and Florida & Tennessee was the line play. Nebraska had 4 NFL players on the defensive line in both those games. The offensive line was pushing the defensive line back 3-4 yds on most plays. We had good players at the other positions but our best players were on the lines. Im more convinced than ever unless we dominate the line of scrimmage we wont see anymore hardware in our trophy case. those 4 defensive linemen are most important players on a championship team. We held Florida to less than 10 rushing yds and had 7 or 8 sacks. Quarterbacks are great and they are important but imo i want to build our line more than anything.

McBrides gameplan if Florida was a big reason for that blowout (along with what you mentioned). sold out to stop their run game and forced them to pass knowing Nebraska had very good DBs as well. Worked perfectly. At that point they were all about speed as well. DBs were becoming LBs to get that elite speed.

Ashland Greenwood senior and current Minnesota commit Kitrell would make a good D-Tackle. Hes an Offensive guard prospect but was dominant as a D tackle. worth a phone call or second look just to double check.

Reactions: WHCSC
The kid from Bellevue West who's dad was a Husker (can't think of his name right now) looked very good in the state finals but that was the only game I saw him play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT