ADVERTISEMENT

Porcher no longer committed

I did not say I expected them to play right away. In fact, I think Porcher was a huge project that would take time. And yes, Thomas is undersized. But it makes my point stronger: even the guys we have/had on board aren't exactly blue chippers. I am not impressed so far with Parella's recruiting. This is a position of great need at a power 5, blue blood program with great facilities and fan support, and this is the best we can do? This whole situation is a train wreck right now. How are we going to compete in the B1G with a thin defensive line with marginal talent?

So four star DEs aren't good enough? Make sure Parella gets the memo so he doesn't waste his time with any of them next year.

Well a year ago, we couldn't get a DL on campus and fired Hughes. This year, pretty much every DL we had on the line was a 4* caliber talent by one service or another.

What exactly is the standard? Having that kind of "average star power" across the line was a major plus until about 48 hours ago, and now we are claiming its crap?

If it was crap, your argument is bunk because you'd have no reason to be upset losing them. We'll simply find other projects. :)

anyone can accept a commitment ... you have to be able to hold the commitments

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think its important Parella keep a level head and not panic. Message boards are losing their gourds but we may walk out of this relatively unscathed. We may well move D. Thomas outside and backfill with Lynch and/or find a developmental DE to go along with Guy (if Parella keeps him on-board).

We can still come out of this thing, fairly nicely. We'll have to see though.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Well a year ago, we couldn't get a DL on campus and fired Hughes. This year, pretty much every DL we had on the line was a 4* caliber talent by one service or another.

What exactly is the standard? Having that kind of "average star power" across the line was a major plus until about 48 hours ago, and now we are claiming its crap?

If it was crap, your argument is bunk because you'd have no reason to be upset losing them. We'll simply find other projects. :)
Huh? Name one four star defensive lineman other than Thomas who has actually committed to us? Yes we have had more four star visitors this year. And guess what? Only one is committed to us. I was never thrilled with either Porcher or Thomas. I am not upset that much that Porcher is gone. It just worries me that we can't even get marginal defensive lineman in the fold.

But I still support Parella. I am willing to sit back and just see how this all unfolds

Last edited:
Huh? Name one four star defensive lineman other than Thomas who has actually committed to us? Yes we have had more four star visitors this year. And guess what? Only one is committed to us. I was never thrilled with either Porcher or Thomas. I am not upset that much that Porcher is gone. It just worries me that we can't even get marginal defensive lineman in the fold.

Robert Porcher 4*
https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/t...als-stars-chevin-calloway-decommits-from-iowa

Guy Thomas 4*
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/5505

But I still support Parella. I am willing to sit back and just see how this all unfolds

Well, I'm surprised guys like Echols, Beal, and Shelvin paid any attention. Agree with the bolded.

No disrespect, but I think the two Thomas' and Watts are not "marginal defensive lineman". Would also agree if Daniels decides to come on board.

Porcher's dad was on Hail Varsity today after the news broke, anyone care to give a recap? From a few texts I received, his dad didn't come across very well. Curious what others can report.

Well, I'm surprised guys like Echols, Beal, and Shelvin paid any attention. Agree with the bolded.
I would love to get one of those guys and Parella is to be given credit for getting them to even consider us. Hence why I support Parella. My one and only concern is that DE in particular should be an area where we need numbers and a big talent upgrade and I am not all that excited with what I see.

as above I don't care about star ratings -- solid 3 stars with other power 5 offers that are developed will win you a lot of games and even conf titles

scrambling to fill positions by poaching wyoming or UNLV recruits will not

hopefully Parella can pick up a couple of solid recruits ... I posted in another thread the other day why a fully committed 3 star with a good offer list is often better than a flaky 4 star who may or may not be truly committed

Our DL is young...2 juniors and 2 sophomores will probably start next year.

People want to play.

True, but there's no depth. The opportunity to play quality snaps immediately is there all across the line. We have three decent returnees at DT in the Davis twins and Stoltenberg, but the door is wide open at DE. WIDE open.

No idea, I only really frequent the big ones like Scout or ESPN or whatever.
If you take the four major sites (Rivals, Scout, 247, and ESPN) and average them, then Porcher comes up as 3.25. That is how the Huskermax site lists a player's stars

Last edited:
Porcher's dad was on Hail Varsity today after the news broke, anyone care to give a recap? From a few texts I received, his dad didn't come across very well. Curious what others can report.
Well, someone on RSS basically said that his dad wanted him to wait until signing day to decommit but his son wanted to do it now out of respect for the coaches. His dad mentioned something about coaches breaking their promises all the time so he saw nothing wrong with waiting till signing day to pull this crap. He came off pretty bad from what I heard. Now, this is basically cliffs notes 3rd hand so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Well, someone on RSS basically said that his dad wanted him to wait until signing day to decommit but his son wanted to do it now out of respect for the coaches. His dad mentioned something about coaches breaking their promises all the time. He came off pretty bad from what I heard. Now, this is basically cliffs notes 3rd hand so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If true, that's sad.

Porcher's replacement. We are going to build lines like Iowa and Wisconsin.

I agree with the others that the DL recruiting has gone loony. Daniels delaying announcement, possibly wavering. One DE bails, another wavering. Recruiting madness this time of year.

Related to Newt, Luke and Bob Lingenfelter who all walked on/played at Nebraska. Brothers and dad maybe?

My father-in-law and his family are from Cherokee, I'm trying to see if they know the family.

Well, someone on RSS basically said that his dad wanted him to wait until signing day to decommit but his son wanted to do it now out of respect for the coaches. His dad mentioned something about coaches breaking their promises all the time. He came off pretty bad from what I heard. Now, this is basically cliffs notes 3rd hand so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
How many promises could our coaches have possibly broken?

Good for Porcher IV being more mature than his old man (if what you heard is true).

Just listened to porcher interview. He didn't say our coaches broke promises. He did say wait until signing day to make his final decision. He mentioned coaches do leave and recruits leave as something that does happen. His son didn't want to do that out of respect for our coaches and giving time for backup plan.

Didn't get impression he was encouraging his son to screw us over more to take more time on making his final choice but son apparently was pretty certain he wanted to decommit now so he saw no reason to wait and drag us along.

At least that was how it all sounded to me.

Just listened to porcher interview. He didn't say our coaches broke promises. He did say wait until signing day to make his final decision. He mentioned coaches do leave and recruits leave as something that does happen. His son didn't want to do that out of respect for our coaches and giving time for backup plan.

Didn't get impression he was encouraging his son to screw us over more to take more time on making his final choice but son apparently was pretty certain he wanted to decommit now so he saw no reason to wait and drag us along.

At least that was how it all sounded to me.
Appreciate the clarification. Like I said, I read it and was basically passing on 2nd hand info. Did you hear it online and if you did, do you have a link? Thanks

Waiting till signing day to inform the coaches, especially when ones been committed for as long as he has, would be screwing over the coaches. Big time.

Thankfully the kid didn't take his dad's advice and made it known now. At least the staff has some time to get someone else.

There are very few d ends that are ready to contribute as freshmen, that's ok. But if we miss for another year then the empty cupboard at d line is no longer the older staffs problem but rather the current staff and we just kick the can further down the road. We probably aren't getting the Clowneys and Myles garretts of the world and that's ok, but we do need guys that as redshirt sophomores can get after the qb and I don't know if we have any, especially if we lose Thomas too.

Just sign a few players like a Chad/Chris Kelsay or a Jay Moore and lets get them on the field. Winking

Reactions: SOHusker11
Seriously, how far is Daishon Neal from contributing as a defensive end starter?

Hes a big kid who is a great addition as a walk on. Played in neligh i believe until a few years ago when his family moved. Hes a good get and we should be excited hes willing to walk on.

What do you think his college position will be?

What do you think his college position will be?
OT or DT wouldnt surprise me, i know thats a lame answer but could see either. Has good hands but obviously raw. Might be a thing where they wait to get him on campus? I dunno just guessing. Google his name with hudl.
Had offers from tulane, south dakota and northern Iowa.

I dont see Nebraska getting into the top 15 recruiting classes until they start winning the big games and start being a regular in the CCG and Playoff pucture (not necessarily in the playoff but at least in thecinversation). That wont happen without proper coaching up of lessor talented guys. Im not saying this staff cant do thatn but to get elite talent you have to be up with tue big dogs in rankings at the end of the season, not just in the middle of the season for a few weeks.
Yes, once again people shouldn't expect top 15 recruiting classes until we have a lot of things going right in Lincoln and kids really want to play there. Not sure I see that happening but it doesn't mean you won't get quality football players and it doesn't mean we can't field some good teams. It is what it is folks. Iowa seems to do pretty well with less than stellar recruiting classes, I don't see why we can't either.

If the expectations have fallen to the point that we want the "success" that Iowa has. Then we don't need to spend the millions on coaches, recruiting, facilities etc. paint the visiting locker room pink and call it a day.

The university and fanbase already have that level of expectation with the men's basketball program.

We can all put our everything behind the volleyball and bowling teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT