ADVERTISEMENT

Porcher no longer committed

ellobo was talking about everyone that does not have "coach" in their title.

Here is link with bio's. Come back and argue with me after you see how many OrSU people there are.

Edit: and since you want to name coaches. Banker, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, Davis, Bray, Read (now gone), 3 of 4 GA's, Phillips (S&C head coach), Clete McCleod (asst S&C coach).

This is a very weak argument. Your crusade against Riley is noted.

I counted 10 non "OrSU'ers". You have 11, I have 10, your argument is weak.

You might as well count the secretaries and then you can "win" the argument. What I see in an inbred program that shows a history of hiring someone you know rather than hiring the best possible person or that strategically helps us. BTW, Billy Devaney and Riley were both on the chargers together, BUT I said OrSU, so I'm happy sticking to OrSU.

And we don't even have to count Bruce Read nor Chris Brasfield.

I DO HAVE AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE. April is coming and possibly another coaching position. Do we take someone we know through our good ol' OrSU connections and hope they are at least "okay", or do we hire someone who has already proven they're good?

Edit: It is a crusade to make NU the best program it can be.

Last edited:
You might as well count the secretaries and then you can "win" the argument. What I see in an inbred program that shows a history of hiring someone you know rather than hiring the best possible person or that strategically helps us. BTW, Billy Devaney and Riley were both on the chargers together, BUT I said OrSU, so I'm happy sticking to OrSU.

I DO HAVE AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE. April is coming and possibly another coaching position. Do we take someone we know through our good ol' OrSU connections and hope they are at least "okay", or do we hire someone who has already proven they're good?
What has Riley done since arriving? Hired Parrella (non OrSU) and Williams (non OrSU), not to mention, I think, Keith Williams (after our DB coach left)... seems to me his pattern has been non OrSU since he's been hiring a la carte. I can understand the consternation if it continued after the staff was initially assembled, but that hasn't happened at all. So I'm not worried at this time about the 10th coach.

if we are in indeed high and dry at our most critical area of need then I would submit this as exhibit A as to why you don't hire assistants with little if any coaching experience from a lower level division 2 school like Northern Michigan

again just can't believe this is the case .... this lack of results is part of the reason Hughes got canned
- Since I respect you so much ( true ), with two more victories, would we have kept some and been in on more - giving Coach jp more time to build his street credit , by results from current players ?
- Imo, coach Hughes may have been coasting a bit - so the results hanged him out. I firmly believe in coach P as a coach - but a lot of it is believing he has done it and played it and has the highest ceiling available here in what he can accomplish as a coach. The Red Koolaide is always on; wishing you Happy Holidays - also to so many others here.

I do believe its a crusade; HCMR was allowed to go with his opinions and associates. With the latest hire; I believe the A D has mandated what you suggest. Doesn't have to be an old guy, to be a good guy.

What has Riley done since arriving? Hired Parrella (non OrSU) and Williams (non OrSU), not to mention, I think, Keith Williams (after our DB coach left)... seems to me his pattern has been non OrSU since he's been hiring a la carte. I can understand the consternation if it continued after the staff was initially assembled, but that hasn't happened at all. So I'm not worried at this time about the 10th coach.

I certainly hope that we search for and hire the best possible person for any upcoming position openings.

You and your boy ellobo said "without coaches in their title" so nice backtrack. I love it though, you thought you had something when in reality you had nothing. It's alright man, I smelled your crap from a mile away.

You already counted Read. You can add Brasfield too, I couldn't care less.

Like Parrella, a former Husker hired? You know the Parrella, he's already lost one commitment and is close to losing another. At positions of desperate need. It's alright though, he's a former Husker who doesn't have a tie to Oregon State. But wait, he played for the Chargers!

No edit: Your crusade is about Pelini no longer here. It seems obvious to me you don't give a crap about NEBRASKA FOOTBALL, all you care about is your approval of a coaching staff that has some type of ties to Nebraska [minus Parrella, yikes].

You and your boy ellobo said "without coaches in their title" so nice backtrack. I love it though, you thought you had something when in reality you had nothing. It's alright man, I smelled your crap from a mile away.

You already counted Read. You can add Brasfield too, I couldn't care less.

Like Parrella, a former Husker hired? You know the Parrella, he's already lost one commitment and is close to losing another. At positions of desperate need. It's alright though, he's a former Husker who doesn't have a tie to Oregon State. But wait, he played for the Chargers!

No edit: Your crusade is about Pelini no longer here. It seems obvious to me you don't give a crap about NEBRASKA FOOTBALL, all you care about is your approval of a coaching staff that has some type of ties to Nebraska [minus Parrella, yikes].

When one keeps their nose buried in others hind ends, they tend to smell crap. My suggestion to you, watch where you're putting your nose.

What backtracking? You don't have reading comprehension, so blame or accuse me?

Parrella? You'll have a hard time finding a post in which I say the Parrella hire was a great hire. But if YOU WANT HIM FIRED, you will have to take that up on your on little personal crusade.

Pelini, LOL. The old fall back accusations. LLLLOOOOLLLZZZZZ

Take it up with ellobo, follow the link and count up the number of OrSU'ers, or tuck your tail and run. your choice.

C'mon nebcountry. You start with the people you know. After a season for two Riley has evaluated and determined it's not just the location and replaced coaches. Each year posters have called Riley out for just hiring his friends. Each year Riley has replaced these "friends" with others when it was needed. You should be happy with Riley's efforts. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot he can do to return NU to elite status in that time frame. Will 9-3 work for you until he can recruit his players to his system?

Reactions: nebcountry
When one keeps their nose buried in others hind ends, they tend to smell crap. My suggestion to you, watch where you're putting your nose.

What backtracking? You don't have reading comprehension, so blame or accuse me?

Parrella? You'll have a hard time finding a post in which I say the Parrella hire was a great hire. But if YOU WANT HIM FIRED, you will have to take that up on your on little personal crusade.

Pelini, LOL. The old fall back accusations. LLLLOOOOLLLZZZZZ

Take your own advice, and get your head out of your rear. The smell of fresh air is nice.

Bringing up Devaney & the Chargers.

He's not an Oregon State "coach", so there's that. After all, all you've done is "Oregon State this and that".

You think it's a fall back accusation?

Last edited:
Parrella? You'll have a hard time finding a post in which I say the Parrella hire was a great hire.

Although I never mentioned great, or good, I'll just take this post you had in June 2016.

nebcountry said:
Parrella is our new DL coach. He's pretty green in college coaching, just a couple years. But he is a former NU player, was all conference, and played in the pro's over 10 years (so he knows something about football at the highest levels). NU's recruiting MO for defensive players of late seems to be selling the accumulated achievements for our program. Which, Parrella has been doing (I think).

Just so you know, although you block people from accessing your profile page [previous posts], there's an easy way around that. As I show above.

C'mon nebcountry. You start with the people you know. After a season for two Riley has evaluated and determined it's not just the location and replaced coaches. Each year posters have called Riley out for just hiring his friends. Each year Riley has replaced these "friends" with others when it was needed. You should be happy with Riley's efforts. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot he can do to return NU to elite status in that time frame. Will 9-3 work for you until he can recruit his players to his system?

I like to at least think of myself as a rational and reasonable person. I've been pretty forthright in stating my motive. Maybe most(?) people THINK Riley is gonna do a thorough search and hire the best proven coach. I'm not gonna make any such assumptions toward the 10th or next coach. The DWilliams hire at this point in time looks really good. I'd like to see us have another really good hire in April (or at the next opportunity). I've mentioned something like this in other threads. Year 3 is peeking around the corner. Your opinion may differ from mine, as I don't think Riley has the luxury of time to hope that someone can turn into a really good coach/recruiter, nor is it in the best interest of the University to hire a guy so he can cut his teeth in a new job, a promotion. Our program is not in a position to be teaching guys how to do their jobs (my opinion).

Ellobo asked, I responded. You or anyone can respond with what you believe (I don't mean that in bad way). I believe our staff (the whole staff) is largely inbred. That can work if you're super highly successful, but it's a recipe for failure if you're not. I acknowledge that we are slowly piecemealing our way out. I'm not asking anybody to look two years back, what's done is done. I'm asking to look 4 months in the future, who do we hire, no names, just qualifications.

Have a Merry Christmas bigboxes.

Edit: this topic probably should be in it's own thread, but oh well.

Although I never mentioned great, or good, I'll just take this post you had in June 2016.

Just so you know, although you block people from accessing your profile page [previous posts], there's an easy way around that. As I show above.

You win, I've had my fun.

I like to at least think of myself as a rational and reasonable person. I've been pretty forthright in stating my motive. Maybe most(?) people THINK Riley is gonna do a thorough search and hire the best proven coach. I'm not gonna make any such assumptions toward the 10th or next coach. The DWilliams hire at this point in time looks really good. I'd like to see us have another really good hire in April (or at the next opportunity). I've mentioned something like this in other threads. Year 3 is peeking around the corner. Your opinion may differ from mine, as I don't think Riley has the luxury of time to hope that someone can turn into a really good coach/recruiter, nor is it in the best interest of the University to hire a guy so he can cut his teeth in a new job, a promotion. Our program is not in a position to be teaching guys how to do their jobs (my opinion).

Ellobo asked, I responded. You or anyone can respond with what you believe (I don't mean that in bad way). I believe our staff (the whole staff) is largely inbred. That can work if you're super highly successful, but it's a recipe for failure if you're not. I acknowledge that we are slowly piecemealing our way out. I'm not asking anybody to look two years back, what's done is done. I'm asking to look 4 months in the future, who do we hire, no names, just qualifications.

Have a Merry Christmas bigboxes.

Edit: this topic probably should be in it's own thread, but oh well.

No but he does have the luxury of doing things his way. He's rode his rodeos, this is his swan song. No one at NU (including the fan base) is going to force him in a direction he doesn't want to go, because they'll get vindictive in the job market over his next position. The next guy, just like all these guys, will be his pick.

With Frost or a younger coach we might have that kind of leverage.

I'd be interested to see what kind of timeline Riley and Eichorst talk about behind closed doors. It seems obvious to me we were never on a quick patch timeline, but he probably won't get 7 years either.

Reactions: nebcountry
No but he does have the luxury of doing things his way. He's rode his rodeos, this is his swan song. No one at NU (including the fan base) is going to force him in a direction he doesn't want to go, because they'll get vindictive in the job market over his next position. The next guy, just like all these guys, will be his pick.

With Frost or a younger coach we might have that kind of leverage.

I'd be interested to see what kind of timeline Riley and Eichorst talk about behind closed doors. It seems obvious to me we were never on a quick patch timeline, but he probably won't get 7 years either.

Ya, I don't view it as a "force it" scenario either. Public opinion, "advice" from superiors, presenting a sound argument for what might be a "proper" course of action, these might influence the decision making process or at least allow full consideration for what's being done.

We beat UCLA by running the ball. Riley paraphrasing says "that's the way you do it", then he crawfished (or clarified) later and talked about efficiency, not carries. 2016, we run the ball with a veteran head coach that has sought a balanced offense his whole (?) career.

Take it up with ellobo, follow the link and count up the number of OrSU'ers, or tuck your tail and run. your choice.
Didn't go to your link and I'm not disagreeing with you...just clarifying for those that might not know what I am talking about...

What Harbaugh/Michigan has been doing (which is not unique to Michigan) is hire highly successful high school coaches to analyst and recruiting admin positions. These are not random hires but guys who ran state championship HS programs and have aspirations to coach at the college level.

These are not GAs but decently paid (not highly by any means) positions and completely allowable by the NCAA (as I said Harbaugh is not the first or only one to do it). It really comes down to if your AD is willing to pay for it and your school has enough draw that a HS head coach is willing to give up authority to take a job in which you are basically an assistant to the assistant coaches.

Some fans of schools that don't do this cry foul because they think it gives a recruiting advantage. Well yeah, they are not wrong on that it helps in recruiting. Yeah, a lot of these hires are made from areas where a program hopes to recruit and they want to use that coaches connections. Where they are wrong is that it is the only reason. We are talking about uber successful HS coaches. What these programs are doing is creating a pipeline of future position coaches who in the short term became a second level of talent developers and cut up coaches (breaking down and analyzing opposing film).

ADVERTISEMENT