Votes: 22 16.7%
  • in decline

Votes: 103 78.0%
  • hotter than ever

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch sports for sports. It’s fun. Try it sometime.

I don’t care if both teams kneel for the anthem while bob kraft gives a GOP candidate a reach around in his luxury box live on tv.

I watch sports for sports. It’s fun. Try it sometime.

I don’t care if both teams kneel for the anthem while bob kraft gives a GOP candidate a reach around in his luxury box live on tv.

maxresdefault.jpg

I feel disconnected from the current era versus say the 90s, etc. It's not even about winning and losing. It's just attitudes and politics and everything else. I never cared if a player was white or black or Polynesian or Latino or anything else. I cared about what they did and who they were on and off the field. I rooted for all of them and wanted the best for them. I truly feel BLM, etc has turned back the clock and increased divisions that weren't there before. I feel disappointed really, because I've always been a fan of Frazier and Gill and the Peter Bros and everyone else.
Last November I bought a house in the metro and moved here from SoCal. Between selling the house there, establishing a new life here and the spring practice and Spring Game being cancelled, I sort of lost interest in the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I thought it would come back after things settled, but it hasn't. I see some names of recruits we have gotten, but don't read about them or check their bios. I hardly read or post here anymore. I attribute my lack of interest to the poor product on the field for a number of years combined with Covid screwing everything up. I hope when things get back to normal, maybe by next spring I will feel differently, but maybe not. I have found lots of nice things to fill up my time without sports. That goes for pro sports too. The politics aren't the main thing, but certainly a big contributor to turning me off. Another is unbridled free agency. One year to next the teams are totally different.
Watch old games on YouTube :D

I agree, definitely feel more disconnected from sports in recent years, and the current situation is making it much worse.

My point is the people talking about not watching sports because of “politics” conveniently ignore the political statements and moves of others, and only become outraged when it becomes against their political identity of racism/bigotry. So they don’t really care about politics in sports, they care that there are politics they don’t agree with, or are threatened by in sports.

They’re the first ones to say if you don’t like the country leave, or that if you don’t agree just sit quietly and ignore something. Then they quickly do a 180 and say “stick to sports”.

Wow you are a woke one. Your opinion is not based in facts, just emotion.

My Sundays are open this fall.
Unfortunately my saturdays might be, too, if Nebraska goes with this jersey patch stuff.
Gonna be doin a lot of fall fishin and hunting.

If they dont play due to covid I really believe we may have seen the end of college football. Or the beginning of the end. People dont realize this.
(And a LOT of people would be very happy with that.)

My point is the people talking about not watching sports because of “politics” conveniently ignore the political statements and moves of others, and only become outraged when it becomes against their political identity of racism/bigotry. So they don’t really care about politics in sports, they care that there are politics they don’t agree with, or are threatened by in sports.

They’re the first ones to say if you don’t like the country leave, or that if you don’t agree just sit quietly and ignore something. Then they quickly do a 180 and say “stick to sports”.
Whats crap is we used to be united as a country. One side has gone so far the other way that they deem the national anthem and displaying of the flag itself as partisan politics. FFS its the anthem and flag of our country, all parties, races, genders, etc used to agree on that and it was never seen as “political” to love and respect your country, the greatest on earth.
Whats going on is NOT the same thing, so stop pretending it is just business as usual and people are overreacting. I dont tune into football to see millionaires and spoiled children tell me how bad I am and how bad our country is.

It's nice to have some sports back. Enjoyed the Pens - Canadians last night. Will watch some baseball and the FedEx - St. Jude this afternoon. Years ago I went to "pro-am" day the day before the FedEx tournament started. Enjoyed following Payne Stewart and John Daly that day, and their interaction with the crowd.

Lol at separation of sports and politics, we can’t have politics, but by golly stand for a song that was introduced during during sporting events to make the political statement that we should be “united”. In early America, sports were highly politicized and used as a way to show masculine superiority and gain political support. When black athletes started using their positions as athletes to gain notoriety then the white majority started calling for separation of sports and politics and then formed leagues and kept blacks from playing.

The people saying keep politics out of sports in this thread are really saying, don’t let black people use their talents to advance their political positions. It’s poorly veiled racism.
I don't care if you're black or white. IF you're an entertainer as sports figures are, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR POLITICS!. Sports and other entertainment are meant to be an escape from daily stress. Just STFU and entertain. It isn't racist to feel that way.

Lol at separation of sports and politics, we can’t have politics, but by golly stand for a song that was introduced during during sporting events to make the political statement that we should be “united”. In early America, sports were highly politicized and used as a way to show masculine superiority and gain political support. When black athletes started using their positions as athletes to gain notoriety then the white majority started calling for separation of sports and politics and then formed leagues and kept blacks from playing.

The people saying keep politics out of sports in this thread are really saying, don’t let black people use their talents to advance their political positions. It’s poorly veiled racism.

I say let them do whatever they want. I learned in economics class that people vote with their wallets. If indeed there is a major pull back from the average fan in financial terms, I think the stakeholders will realize the errors of their ways. Then you can play your race card which we know you have your hand on at all times, ready to deal.

These athletes should be forced to play football.
It will give them a taste of communism that many seem to be in favor of. ;)

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
It’s weird that we live in a world where people can’t watch something without being offended by others beliefs.
This isn’t pointing at a certain party, but its weird hearing people complain about using their voice for whatever, while also voicing their own opinions on social media.

People on both sides just seem to be so offended by everything and it’s becoming nauseating.
I agree, about both sides are too easily offended. The issue is only one side is aloud to voice their opinion. Only one side is aloud to show support for something they believe in. Could you imagine the outrage if a bball team all walked out holding a baby and wore shirts saying babies lives matter? The left would go absolutely bonkers. It would never be aloud. As proof I just saw an article yesterday that teens were arrested for writing in chalk on a sidewalk, babies lives matter, in front of an abortion clinic. Yet black lives matter can be spray painted and vandalized on anything and everything will zero repercussions. People can't go to church and pray because Covid is too dangerous. Yet thousands packed together protesting is perfectly ok. There is huge double standard in this country. If ALL side were given equal opportunity to voice their opinions and thoughts I don't think you would see the outrage and offense from one side or the other.
Sorry this got off topic. I do think the politicizing of sports has turned many away from it. I don't think any of it from either side should be aloud during games. If a player or coach want to show support for something on their own time they have that right 100%. Keep it all out of sports. We get bombarded enough with political BS in the news and in our every day lives. Lets sports be about sports and entertainment.

Last edited:
I agree, about both sides are too easily offended. The issue is only one side is aloud to voice their opinion. Only one side is aloud to show support for something they believe in. Could you imagine the outrage if a bball team all walked out holding a baby and wore shirts saying babies lives matter? The left would go absolutely bonkers. It would never be aloud. As proof I just saw an article yesterday that teens were arrested for writing in chalk on a sidewalk, babies lives matter, in front of an abortion clinic. Yet black lives matter can be spray painted and vandalized on anything and everything will zero repercussions. People can't go to church and pray because Covid is too dangerous. Yet thousands packed together protesting is perfectly ok. There is huge double standard in this country. If ALL side were given equal opportunity to voice their opinions and thoughts I don't think you would see the outrage and offense from one side or the other.
Sorry this got off topic. I do think the politicizing of sports has turned many away from it. I don't think any of it from either side should be aloud during games. If a player or coach want to show support for something on their own time they have that right 100%. Keep it all out of sports. We get bombarded enough with political BS in the news and in our every day lives. Lets sports be about sports and entertainment.

Irony is posting on a sports themed message board about politics to say that sports should not talk about politics.

Nobody is preventing people from worshipping, there are orders restricting doing it in large groups, indoors, but it doesn’t single out religion. But like protesters were allowed to protest shutdowns and social unrest, you can absolutely gather and protest as you see fit.

As far as your alleged arrest, I think you are combining separate events into one, but if you have a link otherwise please post it. In case you’ve missed it, there have been plenty of repercussions, protesters started out wearing plain clothes and started getting gassed, so they brought masks. Then authorities switched to shooting them with “non-lethal” rounds, so they responded by wearing vests, so now authorities aim for the head. But hey, they just really deserve death right?

I liked it when the NFL decided to not allow players out of the locker room until the national anthem is over. Every sport should do this!!

Reactions: Bugeater
I hope you're sitting down for this, but most people also feel that way about non-entertainers and non-sports figures.

Ask around.
I don't disagree with that. I talk politics very little actually but if I do it's normally when somebody else brings it up. I did have to enlighten an older brother and one of my renters about the rioters attempting to burn down the federal courthouse in Portland. That was after they tried to tell me how storm troopers were yanking innocent citizens off the streets of Portland hauling them away in unmarked rented vans never to be seen again....o_O That's what happens when all you check out is MSNBC, the NY Times and NPR. You get one slant of a story and don't get the whole story.

I say let them do whatever they want. I learned in economics class that people vote with their wallets. If indeed there is a major pull back from the average fan in financial terms, I think the stakeholders will realize the errors of their ways. Then you can play your race card which we know you have your hand on at all times, ready to deal.
In the meantime my blood pressure elevates. Black Lives Matter is a political organization and if the NFL etal want to engage openly in promoting one political side or the other then there needs to be debate on the way they're treated legislatively.

Reactions: Bugeater
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT