POLL: Your interest in sports in general

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by drubendall, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Your overall interest in sports is

1. the same as it ever was

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. in decline

103 vote(s)
    78.0%
  3. hotter than ever

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. drubendall

drubendall Walk On
    Expand Collapse

not political in nature. Just curious as to how people feel about sports as the world has changed.

2. Lincoln100

Lincoln100 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

But it is political, even sports are now political, which is the reason I will watch much less.

3. drubendall

drubendall Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Understood and feel the same. Just want to make sure this doesn't go off the rails with specifics.

4. John_J_Rambo

John_J_Rambo Senior
    Expand Collapse

golf's been great to watch. baseball's return, too.

very excited for NBA tomorrow.

football will be here before we know it!

5. litespeedhuskerfan

litespeedhuskerfan Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

N decline, fo show.

GammaxuvirHusker and HuskerDana like this.
  6. Bugeater

Bugeater Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

When will they bring back women’s jello wrestling?
    ;)

6 Bugeater, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  7. HuskersNC

HuskersNC Junior
    Expand Collapse

I can and do still enjoy watching the competition. I'll never agree with every individual involved in a given league whether it's a player, owner, whomever. But the (strictly game-related) drama on the field/court/uneven bars/antigravity future space sports playing surface is still entertaining to me.

8. litespeedhuskerfan

litespeedhuskerfan Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Turned on what I think was ESPN and saw a basketball game and the court, with "BLACK LIVES MATTER ON IT"...couldn't turn the channel fast enough. #barf

9. HuskerOH

HuskerOH Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Everything is political now and the players are pampered little brats I can not stomach it anymore. Even NASCAR is going the tubes with Wallace and his crap. I enjoy college sports, but now society is making the players feel like they are being pimped out by the universities. Free education change generations, that is not being pimped out. But what do I know...

10. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Haven't watched ESPN for several years. They got way too policicaly correct for all sports.

When I was much younger, three of us bought every magazine possible for the Huskers and projected starting lineups three years out. Sealed them with $10 in them and opened later to see who was closest. Lived for Friday freshmen games and Saturday home games in Lincoln.

I can take or leave the NFL, still a Raiders fan but we all know how good they have been. Can't watch NBA anymore, the spoiled brats make me sick. Still like a good college football game although I admit I can barely watch a entire Husker game anymore. I am one that reruns nearly every play to watch what all 11 people did on a given play. It depressed me.

I can easily watch a round of golf, it seems free of the debates, the best golfer wins that week and doesn't make the cut the next. I am finding at my stage if life, many things are just not as "important" anymore. Sports is one of them.

I do like HS sports though and catch area games and our local NAIA football and basketball teams are fun to watch if you don't have anything else to do.

frankluv and huskerfan66 like this.
  11. jedimasterjed

jedimasterjed First Team All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have never seen so many people I know not care at all about sports. I believe MLB and the NBA are in deep trouble.

12. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

I will always watch my huskers, but pro sports have turned into a political advertisement. Having no sports have made me realize I don't need it in my life as I once thought. Outside of Husker football and maybe a bit of husker bball I won't watch much else.

13. TheNewNU

TheNewNU Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Declining. It's been so long since Nebraska has had a team I thought could compete for a division or conference championship. Never been much for baseball and Ill catch a couple games of the NBA finals. My Broncos havent been the same since Peyton retired. Only thing Im watching more of nowadays is UFC.

GammaxuvirHusker likes this.
  14. GBRforLife1

GBRforLife1 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Baseball and their kneeling bitches can F off.

Basketball has been meh. It usually is until the playoffs and March madness.

College football can't get here fast enough.

GammaxuvirHusker and BleedRed78 like this.
  15. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

That is because we have no college sports to watch..

16. Thortulz

Thortulz Newbie
    Expand Collapse

The infusion of politics has killed it for me.

17. Lincoln100

Expand Collapse

you don't think college teams are going to get involved? I'll guarantee it.

GammaxuvirHusker likes this.
  18. scarletred

Expand Collapse

If you have lost interest in sports which I haven’t but there hasn’t been any for 4 months to have a lot of interest especially college sports which we haven’t seen any since March 12....
    College sports will get involved with what?

19. NorthWillRiseAgain

NorthWillRiseAgain Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

It’s weird that we live in a world where people can’t watch something without being offended by others beliefs.
    This isn’t pointing at a certain party, but its weird hearing people complain about using their voice for whatever, while also voicing their own opinions on social media.

People on both sides just seem to be so offended by everything and it’s becoming nauseating.

husker2612, brc2, Yossarian23 and 5 others like this.
  20. PCastro

PCastro Walk On
    Expand Collapse

As I have gotten older have increased range of interests and hobbies so interest has declined Just doesn’t seem quite as exciting...like NFL games seem all the same. NBA doesn’t use the rules I grew up with in regard to traveling and fouls etc, seems like a different sport. I must be getting crabby.

21. Lincoln100

Expand Collapse

It has nothing to do with being offended. I couldn't care less if every member of a team was fringe right of fringe left. The problem is - one of the really great things about sports is it is an escape from the everyday crap that is force-fed to us through the endless barrage of hot garbage coming through every type of medium out there. Now, it's infected one of the few areas left that we could go to put aside all of the hate and venom for a little while and just enjoy ourselves politics and opinion free. No longer. Comparing random people voicing their opinion on social media to sports teams doing whatever to virtue signal is comical. Just so you know, I have now problem with any athlete going on social media to voice their opinion. Leave it there and just go out and play the damn game. But I shouldn't put it on the players probably, it's more the owners that I suspect are strongly suggesting they act a certain way.

22. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. I was watching a ton of hockey as my team has been kicking ass for quite a few years. I'm a Raiders and Cornhuskers fan so I've been watching less football. When I was younger, it was really important to catch as many Huskers games as I could. As you travel on in life, there are changing priorities on how you use your free time. I'm guessing that next year at this time we'll all be watching a lot more sports as things return to normal.

VandallHuskerJulie and TruHusker like this.
  23. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

The NFL and NBA with their social justice crap are losing me.

Wannabee8 likes this.
  24. Aksarben

Aksarben Senior
    Expand Collapse

I've said before that I attend sports (college fb/bb/vb and NHL hockey) as a diversion from the day to day events and politics. When the kneeling for the National Anthem issue came up a few years ago I said when the outside politics start to invade the stadium/arena then that's going to be the end for me. I'm not paying to watch everyone's politics on the sideline and in the stadium. I don't care about what you athletes believe in, I'm here to watch you play a game and that's it, I'm not here to be subjected to your political leanings. Thus far the NHL has seemed to keep their distance and hope that continues.

25. The_Glove_Man

The_Glove_Man Junior
    Expand Collapse

Bring the sports. I need something else to talk about.

John_J_Rambo likes this.
  26. jflores

jflores Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I watch the games I don't get offended by protests or what's painted on the field. But on the whole I have way too much going on in life to follow every twist and turn anymore. Which is a good thing.

27. TampaBaySkers

TampaBaySkers Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I hope NHL somewhat holds their normalcy. I guess I’ll find out this weekend.

28. TampaBaySkers

Expand Collapse

Watch the NHL. Players all stand for national anthem.. funny part is most players aren’t from America, but support America since it gave them a great opportunity. If you need a team to cheer for then support my Flyers:Cool:

29. LagunaHusker

LagunaHusker Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My “give a shite” meter is running pretty low. Still follow the Huskers and a couple of pro football teams. If all the players are kneeling or seating down I will start turning tv off. Life is pretty good if you comply with the law.

30. scarletred

Expand Collapse

Isn’t there only one African American in the NHL too..

31. TampaBaySkers

Expand Collapse

Not sure why color is important. We are all from Africa.

32. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Funny how sports now are getting political.

Threads get deleted for being political on here and this is a sports forum. Hmmm

33. BeautifulDayintheNeighborhood

Expand Collapse

I only watch sports for the politics

34. whatsuphuskerfans

Expand Collapse

My interest in sports has fallen over the years, but its not because of anything political. I just feel that the entertainment value of sports has fallen. The games bore me. I blame three things. First, I think the quality of the broadcasts are not what they used to be. Dick Enberg, Curt Gowdy, Vin Scully and Keith Jackson called games better than any of the current broadcasters do. Second, over the years the rule changes tend to favor the offense. Offense seems to have advantages that make it difficult to play good defense at least in football. Third, I think the quality of play on the field is better than ever and makes the game boring. Frank DeFord's article in Sports Illustrated expresses this point very well.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/10/17/accuracy-nfl-kickers

35. tarheelhusker

tarheelhusker Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

The blm has done me in. Pro sports is dead. The owners and players will see empty stadiums only to remember the fans the used to fill the seats and pay salaries.

TampaBaySkers likes this.
  36. scarletred

Expand Collapse

News to me

37. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

I know you had a slip of the tongue and meant GO BRUINS!

38. Husker.Wed.

Husker.Wed. Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Hard to tell if it is lack of effort or people not knowing what the hell to do because of too complicated schemes, coaching turnover, etc. Probably both. But you are spot on and non-action away from the play is probably most glaring on special teams.

39. SLOHusker

SLOHusker Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I feel disconnected from the current era versus say the 90s, etc. It's not even about winning and losing. It's just attitudes and politics and everything else. I never cared if a player was white or black or Polynesian or Latino or anything else. I cared about what they did and who they were on and off the field. I rooted for all of them and wanted the best for them. I truly feel BLM, etc has turned back the clock and increased divisions that weren't there before. I feel disappointed really, because I've always been a fan of Frazier and Gill and the Peter Bros and everyone else.

40. Husker.Wed.

Husker.Wed. Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Last November I bought a house in the metro and moved here from SoCal. Between selling the house there, establishing a new life here and the spring practice and Spring Game being cancelled, I sort of lost interest in the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I thought it would come back after things settled, but it hasn't. I see some names of recruits we have gotten, but don't read about them or check their bios. I hardly read or post here anymore. I attribute my lack of interest to the poor product on the field for a number of years combined with Covid screwing everything up. I hope when things get back to normal, maybe by next spring I will feel differently, but maybe not. I have found lots of nice things to fill up my time without sports. That goes for pro sports too. The politics aren't the main thing, but certainly a big contributor to turning me off. Another is unbridled free agency. One year to next the teams are totally different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.