ADVERTISEMENT

People are underestimating economic impact

In these debates, people are overlooking the economic impact. It has been mentioned but needs close inspection.

Lincoln will lose millions of dollars. Even with limited attendance, bars and restaurants and hotels would have been busy, as well as travel.

In the past year, Omaha will have lost the following:
-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four
-Money related to football (bars, restaurants, airport, hotels, travel...)

-It doesn’t make much sense to cancel sports but keep schools open considering players would be safer in team environment. This is unanimously agreed upon. Presidents have to know this.
-Liability is debated...but, couldnt schools be sued if covid spreads on campus? Teams can still lift and have practice..isnt this also the same thing? And we all know its impossible to prove where one caught a virus.
-We dont even need to begin on the debate regarding whether or not this virus is as bad as the media is making it seem, we’ll go in circles.

Anyway, when you factor in the above economic impact and all who will be affected by it (business owners, workers, tenants, landlords, banks, on and on) it could be said that NU has an obligation to seek all alternatives to try to play this fall, even if it means leaving the B1G.

Im not saying NU would be welcomed by another conference or teams, but in my opinion they damned well better try.

We are in for a world of hurt, and its much more than simply not being able to watch football.

Not everybody. We need to start looking at our economy as not what we want but what we need.
Medical care, infrastructure, education, energy, etc.

Life can still be enjoyed with the simple pleasures like walking and exercise. I also believe that more people will take up music that they can learn on their own at home. We don't need space exploration, comic books, skateboards and realistically football. And few people love football more than me.

The Lincoln bars (most of them) probably make what, 20-25% of their years revenue on the 7 home games? Where do they make that up?
Those bars along with restaurants and hotels collect a hospitality tax on receipts to help pay for PBA. That and no concert revenue looks like more burden coming on the Lincoln taxpayer.

Not everybody. We need to start looking at our economy as not what we want but what we need.

Life can still be enjoyed with the simple pleasures like walking and exercise. I also believe that more people will take up music that they can learn on their own at home. We don't need space exploration, comic books, skateboards and realistically football. And few people love football more than me.
Agree to disagree.

Yeah no.. That's cool if that is what you want, but no thanks on my end.

I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you say, but you kinda just blow by the liability potential. If, God forbid, just one player gets sick to the point of hospitalization or death, the multi-million dollar lawsuit will be on file by noon the next day. At that point, the debate about liability really doesn't matter. It will cost millions to defend the suit. Some sharpy lawyer opens the conference and athletic department books to the jury, which then sees the millions raked in on the backs of unpaid college kids. At that point, the potential for a huge, bankrupting verdict becomes very real. This has to be factored in by the schools and conferences.
Your take is more plausible than medical experts having an 11th hour revelation. I think conference leaders and several presidents got scared

Hmmm. More to add to my list of people that wronged you in some way. Already had astronauts. Now comic book illustrators/writers/and maybe even just readers, skateboarders (Tony Hawk steal a love interest perhaps?). Please tell me more things we need and dont need. This is fascinating.

Hmmm. More to add to my list of people that wronged you in some way. Already had astronauts. Now comic book illustrators/writers/and maybe even just readers, skateboarders (Tony Hawk steal a love interest perhaps?). Please tell me more things we need and dont need. This is fascinating.
Fast food and pontoon boats should be the first to go. The Lifetime Network close behind.

Hmmm. More to add to my list of people that wronged you in some way. Already had astronauts. Now comic book illustrators/writers/and maybe even just readers, skateboarders (Tony Hawk steal a love interest perhaps?). Please tell me more things we need and don't need. This is fascinating.

Nobody has wronged me anymore than anyone else has been wronged. I am the original citizen-economist.

Life is a bitch. Then you die.

Reactions: bshirt73

how did athletics ever get to be such a priority in nebraska anyway. for the size of the state and the size of the university i imagine they spend more money on athletic infrastructure per capita than any state in the country. i know it provides entertainment for the citizens but could all those billions spent on athletic structures be used to support the people of nebraska in ways that provide more than just entertainment?
the facilities are already on par with professional franchises but we want to use more billions to make them better than anyone else instead of using the money to support the greater good of nebraska population overall. imagine what we could do for law enforcement, schools, highways, poverty, shelter, and food.
85 football players from outside the state get to live in buildings superior to the Taj Mahal while 1 million nebraskans struggle to pay for health care, food, and shelter. and dont have any healthy grocery stores within 10 miles of their houses. i love sports but sometimes its just seems unbelievably selfish and wrong to upgrade things that are already embarrassingly luxurious. please dont tell me we need to keep up with joneses. we dont.
we expect young adults who grew up with 1 parent on the bad side of town working 2 minimum wage jobs living i low income housing to pay for basic healthcare and canned goods and we criticize the idea of helping them but we have NO problem spending even more money than that on kids who dont have to pay for college, for food, for housing, or for healthcare and they dont work. We pay for EVERYTHING in their life NO PROBLEM because they play fb at our school for 48 months. We're already giving them everything in their life for free and thats not enough. We also have to spend billions more for them to train and eat in buildings that are so big and fancy that they could fit the population of omaha in them comfortably. Given all the hardships in our population i will never understand those who criticize supporting poor working people and at the same time spending 1000s every year to support out of state kids who already get more things in life than anyone i can think of and dont feel any type of remorse for those contradictions

Last edited:
Can't disagree with what you are saying, but arguing economic impact opens the door for student athletes wanting a piece of the pie. That could open a door that universities may not to deal with. This whole universe is changing rapidly.
Keep changing this way and we will devour our own economy. China Russia and all third world nations world Nations are just LOL

Reactions: bshirt73
how did athletics ever get to be such a priority in nebraska anyway. for the size of the state and the size of the university i imagine they spend more money on athletic infrastructure per capita than any state in the country. i know it provides entertainment for the citizens but could all those billions spent on athletic structures be used to support the people of nebraska in ways that provide more than just entertainment?
the facilities are already on par with professional franchises but we want to use more billions to make them better than anyone else instead of using the money to support the greater good of nebraska population overall. imagine what we could do for law enforcement, schools, highways, poverty, shelter, and food.
85 football players from outside the state get to live in buildings superior to the Taj Mahal while 1 million nebraskans struggle to pay for health care, food, and shelter. and dont have any healthy grocery stores within 10 miles of their houses. i love sports but sometimes its just seems unbelievably selfish and wrong to upgrade things that are already embarrassingly luxurious. please dont tell me we need to keep up with joneses. we dont.
we expect young adults who grew up with 1 parent on the bad side of town working 2 minimum wage jobs living i low income housing to pay for basic healthcare and canned goods and we criticize the idea of helping them but we have NO problem spending even more money than that on kids who dont have to pay for college, for food, for housing, or for healthcare and they dont work. We pay for EVERYTHING in their life NO PROBLEM because they play fb at our school for 48 months. We're already giving them everything in their life for free and thats not enough. We also have to spend billions more for them to train and eat in buildings that are so big and fancy that they could fit the population of omaha in them comfortably. Given all the hardships in our population i will never understand those who criticize supporting poor working people and at the same time spending 1000s every year to support out of state kids who already get more things in life than anyone i can think of and dont feel any type of remorse for those contradictions

I blame Johnny Rodgers. All his fault.

Reactions: greenpeach
We’re giving them everything for free? They didn’t earn it?

throw this take in the trash along with your password, clown

Communist much?

We’re giving them everything for free? They didn’t earn it?

throw this take in the trash along with your password, clown
Agree. They earn every penny they spend. That's always a major liberal agenda, The old"redistribution of wealth" thought process. The university would be dogshit without football. Very weak internship programs, easy to get in, and surprisingly weak alumni donors (outside of athletics).

Again, depends on which doctors reports you want to read. For every Fauci there is a Scott Atlas.

Fauci has been doing his work for about 40 years. Also, many of the the school boards are listening to the cautious real doctors. Along with many business leaders. When you ever seen so many doctors and nurses get sick and die? Are you going to accuse the media (or hospitals or public officials) of lying about the need for refrigerated trucks to temporarily hold bodies?

Fauci has been doing his work for about 40 years. Also, many of the the school boards are listening to the cautious real doctors. Along with many business leaders. When you ever seen so many doctors and nurses get sick and die? Are you going to accuse the media (or hospitals or public officials) of lying about the need for refrigerated trucks to temporarily hold bodies?

And Fauci told us all that masks weren't needed and would actually help spread the virus, then changed his mind when manufacturing companies started to produce the PPE.

YesI will accuse the media of lying about the need for refrigerated trucks, because the overwhelming majority of the municipalities that ordered refrigerated trucks never used them. Countless plans were made and probably close to a billion dollars was spent nationwide for temporary hospitals that were either never used, or used sparingly at best because the medical experts like Fauci and Birx believed the models that said there would be 2,000,000 dead Americans before June 30. Most of the health professionals who died, died early in the process when there was little to no guidance, or when they followed the piss poor guidance of public officials.

It's cool if you want to believe that this virus goes through its cycle differently than other viruses, I choose to look at the actual graphs and charts that show that this virus reacts very much like influenza. When it is your season, you get Covid.

On August 12, 2020, I provided you 2 twitter handles to follow and read. You either didn't or you choose to not believe the facts that those two gentlement share on a daily basis. These dudes are able to take data and put it together in graphs and charts that tell the true story. One of the guys is a professed democrat, The other never really said which way he leans politically. Regardless, it doesn't really matter because they don't base their info on anything but data.

And Fauci told us all that masks weren't needed and would actually help spread the virus, then changed his mind when manufacturing companies started to produce the PPE.

YesI will accuse the media of lying about the need for refrigerated trucks, because the overwhelming majority of the municipalities that ordered refrigerated trucks never used them. Countless plans were made and probably close to a billion dollars was spent nationwide for temporary hospitals that were either never used, or used sparingly at best because the medical experts like Fauci and Birx believed the models that said there would be 2,000,000 dead Americans before June 30. Most of the health professionals who died, died early in the process when there was little to no guidance, or when they followed the piss poor guidance of public officials.

It's cool if you want to believe that this virus goes through its cycle differently than other viruses, I choose to look at the actual graphs and charts that show that this virus reacts very much like influenza. When it is your season, you get Covid.

On August 12, 2020, I provided you 2 twitter handles to follow and read. You either didn't or you choose to not believe the facts that those two gentlement share on a daily basis. These dudes are able to take data and put it together in graphs and charts that tell the true story. One of the guys is a professed democrat, The other never really said which way he leans politically. Regardless, it doesn't really matter because they don't base their info on anything but data.

1) Could you guide me back to those two twitter handles?
2) Piss poor media or piss poor public officials? How do you know you would gotten exactly correct?
3) Are you saying it is a lie that over 164,000 Americans have died from covid-19?
4) About those refrigerated trucks, I just heard a couple of days ago that certain communities in Texas had them fill quickly?

He's been doing this for 40 years and what exactly are his accomplishments? After dealing with this virus for 8 months the best he can come up with is "wear a mask".

At some point dont you have to question whether the expert is actually an expert?

He's been doing this for 40 years and what exactly are his accomplishments? After dealing with this virus for 8 months the best he can come up with is "wear a mask".

At some point dont you have to question whether the expert is actually an expert?
To be fair he’s got a financial stake in at least one vaccine, so..

This is a Ron Swanson wet dream.
6CggjHmbQgsOJhH-p2XHcQo_6A4OCHu2j4QtKNs7UeIxQVJ6OjYQdl090Md2j5tSYaXW5PflRjYs3YhYWII4VANJyn78RWcFpVr47pbRJ_9QviuHr3U8TbnZzGrEninvsU0

2) Piss poor media or piss poor public officials? How do you know you would gotten exactly correct?
3) Are you saying it is a lie that over 164,000 Americans have died from covid-19?
4) About those refrigerated trucks, I just heard a couple of days ago that certain communities in Texas had them fill quickly?
I don't buy the 164,000 for a second. Not when, in my small social sphere, I know of a half dozen that were bogus. One death certificate was protested by family, as the person died after a years' long cancer battle, and quitting chemo. He got Covid-classified, and wasn't even tested for it.

I don't buy the 164,000 for a second. Not when, in my small social sphere, I know of a half dozen that were bogus. One death certificate was protested by family, as the person died after a years' long cancer battle, and quitting chemo. He got Covid-classified, and wasn't even tested for it.

....but people keep trying to tell me the virus isn't political so you must be mistaken.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
Nobody cares, its simple, somebody may get sick and die. So back to the house and lockdown.

I just find it strange that the states with the strictest of lockdown "laws" have the most deaths. Sort of like the states with the strictest gun laws have the most murders. Seems the more you try to protect the more dangerous the area becomes. Perhaps if you let people make their own decisions about staying home, protecting themselves and doing what is best for them and their families, the less they die.

States with Republican governors (including left leaning Maryland Gov) have had 53000 ish deaths and roughly 370 deaths per million
States with Democrat governors have had about 109,500 deaths and roughly 595 deaths per million. Weird

It doesn't take a genius to look at the data, again find the twitter feeds for
@boriquagato (El Gato Malo) and @malkusm (Matt Malkus). They report nothing but data and they analyze the data. They have the ability to change their opinion based on the data and they don't dig in their heels and make up a bunch of crazy shit.

But the facts are that the virus runs its course and dies off. If the virus ends up being seasonal, then we do this all again next year and the year after. The Hope-Simpson viral seasonality timetable for Covid, looks like it does for flu. Lockdowns, travel bans or whatever restrictions you want to include do little to nothing. When it is your season you get Covid.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
In these debates, people are overlooking the economic impact. It has been mentioned but needs close inspection.

Lincoln will lose millions of dollars. Even with limited attendance, bars and restaurants and hotels would have been busy, as well as travel.

In the past year, Omaha will have lost the following:
-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four
-Money related to football (bars, restaurants, airport, hotels, travel...)

-It doesn’t make much sense to cancel sports but keep schools open considering players would be safer in team environment. This is unanimously agreed upon. Presidents have to know this.
-Liability is debated...but, couldnt schools be sued if covid spreads on campus? Teams can still lift and have practice..isnt this also the same thing? And we all know its impossible to prove where one caught a virus.
-We dont even need to begin on the debate regarding whether or not this virus is as bad as the media is making it seem, we’ll go in circles.

Anyway, when you factor in the above economic impact and all who will be affected by it (business owners, workers, tenants, landlords, banks, on and on) it could be said that NU has an obligation to seek all alternatives to try to play this fall, even if it means leaving the B1G.

Im not saying NU would be welcomed by another conference or teams, but in my opinion they damned well better try.

We are in for a world of hurt, and its much more than simply not being able to watch football.
Well that may well be BUT what purpose does it serve to rub salt into the wound at this point. Nothing is going to change as a result. We're stuck with the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT