ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Hoops, Fred’s blueprint

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
So PSU may end up being blown out today by Indiana, but getting to.500 in conference play and playing in the Big Ten Conference semifinals this season should be what Trev will expect from Fred’s Huskers in 23-24 or a change will be warranted. No regression will be tolerated.

So PSU may end up being blown out today by Indiana, but getting to.500 in conference play and playing in the Big Ten Conference semifinals this season should be what Trev will expect from Fred’s Huskers in 23-24 or a change will be warranted. No regression will be tolerated.
That's fair.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Rather finish higher during the year like top 4 in the conference..

unless you win the tournament getting to the semifinals isn’t a big achievement unless you play on Wednesday..

Reactions: Huskerdenton
Penn St has a much better roster from top to bottom. Fred better start recruiting or it is his last year im afraid

Penn State taking it to Indiana. Purdue will probably beat them tomorrow and get the 1 seed and lose the first weekend of the tournament

Reactions: zrob
He is year 2 and may be going to the ncaa tourney at a place with a horrible BB tradition.

He makes a fraction of what Hoiberg is paid.

Maybe Fred should inquire if Shrewsberry has a place on his staff for a low level assistant

Reactions: Huskerdenton
Having high expectations in football is one thing, expecting severe increase in results for basketball is another. Basketball has never had any sort of identity or history other than being helow average. Fred has proabbly 8 years to figure it out before he is fired.

PSU would be wise to keep Shrewsberry. But between general fan/adminstrative apathy for basketball, lack of winning tradition and the fact that Shrewsberry probably wants to go to a better job makes me think that's unlikely that he will be retained for whatever reason.

At any rate I'll be pulling for the Nits tomorrow. Living with PSU fans I must confess to a bit of sympathy for the Nits and I like to cheer for the underdog at any rate. Don't kick me off the board LOL 😅

Last edited:
PSU would be wise to keep Shrewsberry. But between general fan/adminstrative apathy for basketball, lack of winning tradition and the fact that Shrewsberry probably wants to go to a better job makes me think that's unlikely that he will be retained for whatever reason.

At any rate I'll be pulling for the Nits tomorrow. Living with PSU fans I must confess to a bit of sympathy for the Nits and I like to cheer for the underdog at any rate. Don't kick me off the board LOL 😅
He is gone...probably off to Georgetown.

He would be wise to leave now...that entire team is gone after this year.

Reactions: BigRedTed
Georgetown would probably be a pretty sweet job right now. Patrick Ewing’s Frost-like failure has left the Hoyas with nowhere to go but up.
Yeah, that is true.

And Strews is a very likable guy (so is Ewing) but they would love him there and he can coach.

And Pitino is totally going to St. John's and will have them in the sweet 16 in 2 years.

Regression from 12th in the league and a first round Conference tourney exit at the hands of the “worst” team in the Big 10?????? We are already at the BOTTOM!

Reactions: pascal
Regression from 12th in the league and a first round Conference tourney exit at the hands of the “worst” team in the Big 10?????? We are already at the BOTTOM!
Yep, get that. Think you might hear a offseason narrative that includes “momentum” and “progress” that some faction of the fan base will buy into. IMO, Fred has next year to produce the results similar to what PSU has done this season. That’s it.

Hoiberg is in the Lather, Rinse, Repeat mode. This is the best it will get with him. He has shown he wins when it is not expected with no pressure to win and loses in head-scratching situations. His record speaks for itself.

No NCAA tourney bid next year, no more Fred. At some point this program needs to move forward. No excuses, not even injuries. Seems pretty cut and dry now. He's had plenty of time.

Reactions: TheNewNU
No NCAA tourney bid next year, no more Fred. At some point this program needs to move forward. No excuses, not even injuries. Seems pretty cut and dry now. He's had plenty of time.
Agree. He needs to make the ncaa in year 5 or he should step aside.

Reactions: donahues17
Hoiberg is in the Lather, Rinse, Repeat mode. This is the best it will get with him. He has shown he wins when it is not expected with no pressure to win and loses in head-scratching situations. His record speaks for itself.
Dude have you read the threads about him?

There couldn’t possibly be lower expectations for a P5 program in any sport, much less a major one

People are pointing to individual months (he’s had 1 good month in 48 at the helm) in order to find something to justify extending his tenure

Reactions: Walleye79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT