ADVERTISEMENT

Over-under win total Big 10 teams?

UW’s maybe a win too high?

I don’t bet these season win totals because there’s no value (negative value when you factor in time value), but I do find them interesting & somewhat usefully informative

Interesting, but hard to project us. We’ll most likely have a qb who has never played a snap of college football starting for us.

Interesting, but hard to project us. We’ll most likely have a qb who has never played a snap of college football starting for us.
We will have a true Freshman starting. He will still be a significant improvement over last year. Yes, even as a freshman. He will make mistakes no doubt, but his talent is elite compared to the 3 we ran out there last year. Plus, the OL should take another step forward helping him even more.

If Raiola stays healthy then I see an 8+ win season. If he goes down with a season ending injury early in the season or even in Spring or Fall camp, then we can dial up another losing season. Unless Kaelin can step up, which perhaps he can. Others on here more knowledgable than I can fill us in on where Kaelin stands in terms of his physical and mental development and if he has the potential to be an early bloomer. If we are stuck with starting that tight end who some call a QB then we are in for another losing season.

We cannot lose sight of the importance of Kaelin. We need to get him ready too. I doubt Raiola makes it through an entire season without missing at least one or two games due to minor injuries.

If Raiola stays healthy then I see an 8+ win season. If he goes down with a season ending injury early in the season or even in Spring or Fall camp, then we can dial up another losing season. Unless Kaelin can step up, which perhaps he can. Others on here more knowledgable than I can fill us in on where Kaelin stands in terms of his physical and mental development and if he has the potential to be an early bloomer. If we are stuck with starting that tight end who some call a QB then we are in for another losing season.

We cannot lose sight of the importance of Kaelin. We need to get him ready too. I doubt Raiola makes it through an entire season without missing at least one or two games due to minor injuries.
I don't think the risk of injury is near as great with Dylan as they will not be running the zone read or QB runs near as often if ever. The OL should be better, and he is smart enough to just get rid of the ball and not get sacked. A new CO-OC.

Anything is possible obviously look at Jordyn in softball, but I think he will make the whole year.

We will have a true Freshman starting. He will still be a significant improvement over last year. Yes, even as a freshman. He will make mistakes no doubt, but his talent is elite compared to the 3 we ran out there last year. Plus, the OL should take another step forward helping him even more.
Any statement of what Raiola does this fall is pure speculation. The WR who threw the pass for the Niners was a highly ranked national QB recruit coming out of high school. On paper, Raiola should be an improvement but the difference between a P5 defense and even the defenders in that Hawaii all star game is obvious. It’s a huge jump.

Kaelin is years away and even then the guy here who knows the most about hs football called him just a guy

I don’t expect to see him at all this year or frankly until 2026-27

“That tight end” is the only quarterback we’ve had produce a winning record in nearly a decade, but I know that fact is much less important than everyone’s feelings about him

When he plays this year he’ll play better and we’ll be fine. Or at least that’s what’s supposed to happen under coaches known for player development.

Any statement of what Raiola does this fall is pure speculation. The WR who threw the pass for the Niners was a highly ranked national QB recruit coming out of high school. On paper, Raiola should be an improvement but the difference between a P5 defense and even the defenders in that Hawaii all star game is obvious. It’s a huge jump.
Well sure its speculation.

What is not speculation is his talent level compared to last year's 3 starters. If those 3 can win 5 games in the P5 with last year's team, then to say Raiola can win 7 or 8 is not really a huge stretch.

Reactions: BleedRed78
O line finally has some great experience. Still building quality depth.

I think the improvement of the O line, better RB and TE play will help our offense and take some of the pressure off Dylan. Also, will help with the play action deep ball to our young speedy WRs. Just take care of the mother loving ball!!!!
We had so many wide open WR's deep last year it was crazy we didn't hit more. Dylan's arm should fix a few of those.

Under. I'll stick with my hopes of a 6 win season, like I have for years.

Assuming DR starts or plays a large part, Osborne used to say a new QB usually meant losing a game or 2 that you were expected to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Well sure its speculation.

What is not speculation is his talent level compared to last year's 3 starters. If those 3 can win 5 games in the P5 with last year's team, then to say Raiola can win 7 or 8 is not really a huge stretch.
You are correct about his physical talent

What’s not clear is if his intangibles/leadership ability will also be an upgrade

I am hopeful he can quickly earn the respect of his teammates who have bled for this program and state for years via his actions. No easy task.

You are correct about his physical talent

What’s not clear is if his intangibles/leadership ability will also be an upgrade

I am hopeful he can quickly earn the respect of his teammates who have bled for this program and state for years via his actions. No easy task.
Already happened it sounds like. You think its going to be tough for a kid of his talent to blend with everyone that wants to win badly? With his family's Nebraska pedigree?

Which one of the 3 were last year was a big leader? HH?

Only way that doesn't happen is if he is a complete Douch bag. That is clearly not the case.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Everything about this fall is pure speculation. Of course there will be a learning curve. The bar has been set so low with qb play lately that even a qb with a learning curve should be a major upgrade.

I think NU fans vastly underestimate how much a qb who can't reliably hit easy passes limits an offense. Rhule even alluded to the Purdy int and said every other team in America can execute that play.

Reactions: arf_man
Michigan & UCLA to high.
I agree about Michigan being too high - they lost a TON on offense. I also think that USC might be too low but they're the mystery team - IMO - in the B1G in 2024.....it all depends on their defense or more specifically, if they can field a decent defense.

Already happened it sounds like. You think its going to be tough for a kid of his talent to blend with everyone that wants to win badly? With his family's Nebraska pedigree?

Which one of the 3 were last year was a big leader? HH?

Only way that doesn't happen is if he is a complete Douch bag. That is clearly not the case.
Clearly?

I’m not sure DR has spent any meaningful amount of time with his teammates to make this kind of absolute determination.

Certainly haven’t seen any quotes from respected guys like Nash, Gifford, etc., to give this indication.

He wouldn’t be the first top rated big money 17 year old to be perceived as a complete douche bag, that’s for sure.

OK. Whatever. You would be negative regardless.
No, I wouldn’t.

I can’t wait to see him out there.

The intangible stuff is what separates kids with great physical tools from kids who are great quarterbacks. We just can’t know that stuff yet.

Clearly?

I’m not sure DR has spent any meaningful amount of time with his teammates to make this kind of absolute determination.

Certainly haven’t seen any quotes from respected guys like Nash, Gifford, etc., to give this indication.

He wouldn’t be the first top rated big money 17 year old to be perceived as a complete douche bag, that’s for sure.
Rhule stated in the Gameday podcast that DR is constantly in the facility working. I would assume he is engaging quite a bit with the other grinders … which I honestly hope is the entire team.

Rhule stated in the Gameday podcast that DR is constantly in the facility working. I would assume he is engaging quite a bit with the other grinders … which I honestly hope is the entire team.
What Rhule says about new quarterbacks days after their arrival should be taken with a huge grain of salt

What else is he going to say? Guy is a PR wiz.

Identical timeline as him saying Sims is a pro guy.

Players’ comments when the going is tough & they’re in the thick of it are much much more informative.

How does DR treat the walk-ons? How does he treat support staff? Is he taking the pass catchers aside for additional reps without coaches present? Is he taking the OL out to a weekly dinner?

These are the things I’m curious about and speak to his character.

How does DR treat the walk-ons? How does he treat support staff? Is he taking the pass catchers aside for additional reps without coaches present? Is he taking the OL out to a weekly dinner?

Red Carpet Checks All The Boxes GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

What Rhule says about new quarterbacks days after their arrival should be taken with a huge grain of salt

What else is he going to say? Guy is a PR wiz.

Identical timeline as him saying Sims is a pro guy.

Players’ comments when the going is tough & they’re in the thick of it are much much more informative.

Agree Rhule is a PR wiz but I don’t think he’s a liar. If DR wasn’t putting in the work he would slant his comments some other direction that may not be as verifiable but still positive light.

But if DR isn’t working like MR is saying then the entire team sees Rhule covering for a guy and loses gains he’s made in culture. I don’t see him taking that angle.

Agree Rhule is a PR wiz but I don’t think he’s a liar. If DR wasn’t putting in the work he would slant his comments some other direction that may not be as verifiable but positive light.

But if DR isn’t working like MR is saying then the entire team sees Rhule covering for a guy and loses gains he’s made in culture. I don’t see him taking that angle.
DR has been on the team for 5 minutes

We have no idea how he’s being received by the team or what he’s doing to establish himself as a sacrifice-everything-to-win type of a leader

All we see is him sitting courtside at hoops games with his family and the AD

Hell, Nash is still on the wrestling team & guys are running track

Spring game will be interesting. Summer & fall even moreso.

I’ll be very interested to hear from less polished PR guys about what’s going on behind the scenes. What Rhule says and what actually happens aren’t always aligned.

DR has been on the team for 5 minutes

We have no idea how he’s being received by the team or what he’s doing to establish himself as a sacrifice-everything-to-win type of a leader

All we see is him sitting courtside at hoops games with his family and the AD

Hell, Nash is still on the wrestling team & guys are running track

Spring game will be interesting. Summer & fall even moreso.

I’ll be very interested to hear from less polished PR guys about what’s going on behind the scenes. What Rhule says and what actually happens aren’t always aligned.
You love drama. It's almost as if you just want drama to play out. So strange

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Are the goons at On3 responsible for these picks? Jesus, On3 is like the noob poster with 2 posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT