ADVERTISEMENT

OT Wife advice

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Ok, so next Tuesday my wife and I are taking a road trip from our sheep farm here in eastern pa to Lincoln for the Oregon game. But here is the problem. My wife is a Notre Dame grad and a HUGE fan. Her senior year was the Holtz national title year. So she is nuts. She is insisting that on the way to Lincoln we need to stop in South Bend for two days to visit her old haunts. She thinks I will be into it because she has no idea, even after 19 years of marriage, that I LOATHE, DESPISE, and HATE Notre Dame football. I have hidden this sordid detail all these years. I can tolerate sitting in a room watching a ND game while she cheers for the wretched filth. Hell, it is only three hours and I can get drunk.
But here is my question... How can I possibly avoid losing it entirely if I have to spend two days in that cesspool? What strategies guys are there for keeping my cool and keeping my secret? I can't walk around the ND campus totally smashed. Can I?
And don't tell me to just tell her the truth. You don't know her. Because we are Catholics she thinks it is some kind of damned religious obligation to cheer for those asshats.
All advice is welcome.

Reactions: SOHusker11 and nu2u
Ok, so next Tuesday my wife and I are taking a road trip from our sheep farm here in eastern pa to Lincoln for the Oregon game. But here is the problem. My wife is a Notre Dame grad and a HUGE fan. Her senior year was the Holtz national title year. So she is nuts. She is insisting that on the way to Lincoln we need to stop in South Bend for two days to visit her old haunts. She thinks I will be into it because she has no idea, even after 19 years of marriage, that I LOATHE, DESPISE, and HATE Notre Dame football. I have hidden this sordid detail all these years. I can tolerate sitting in a room watching a ND game while she cheers for the wretched filth. Hell, it is only three hours and I can get drunk.
But here is my question... How can I possibly avoid losing it entirely if I have to spend two days in that cesspool? What strategies guys are there for keeping my cool and keeping my secret? I can't walk around the ND campus totally smashed. Can I?
And don't tell me to just tell her the truth. You don't know her. Because we are Catholics she thinks it is some kind of damned religious obligation to cheer for those asshats.
All advice is welcome.
There's a saying, "Happy Wife, Happy Life".

My buddy went there and he said the tailgating was great.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
HaHa I feel your pain, my wife has deep ND connections. I watched the OSU come back a few years ago from a bar in South Bend. I like the campus and watching football games at ND, but South Bend sucks, worst roads in America.

Reactions: HuskerRick
I would fill up as much time as possible with non-Notre Dame stuff (as I did when I went there for our "sea of red" game with them). The history museum is nice and you can tour the Joseph Oliver House. If you are into historical homes, Oliver House is special because all the original 1899 furniture is still there. The Notre Dame skating complex has public ice skating, you could do the Rocky/Adrian thing where you rent her skates and run alongside. Then there is the Studebaker Museum if you are into cars. Before the Studebaker plant closed and South Bend became another rust-belt s@#$-hole, it was a thriving industrial town.

If all else fails, be a good sport, take one for the team, have a good attitude, and always keep in mind she probably finds quite a few things about you abhorrent, but lets them slide since she got a package deal.

Enjoy South Bend for what it is, a college football landmark. You don't have to like it to appreciate it.

I felt much the same way when we played them there 16 years ago. I despise ND but absorbed all the history and nostalgia I could.

Enjoy South Bend for what it is, a college football landmark. You don't have to like it to appreciate it.

I felt much the same way when we played them there 16 years ago. I despise ND but absorbed all the history and nostalgia I could.
My god, has it been 16 years???? It seems like around 7 years ago.

I would fill up as much time as possible with non-Notre Dame stuff (as I did when I went there for our "sea of red" game with them). The history museum is nice and you can tour the Joseph Oliver House. If you are into historical homes, Oliver House is special because all the original 1899 furniture is still there. The Notre Dame skating complex has public ice skating, you could do the Rocky/Adrian thing where you rent her skates and run alongside. Then there is the Studebaker Museum if you are into cars. Before the Studebaker plant closed and South Bend became another rust-belt s@#$-hole, it was a thriving industrial town.

If all else fails, be a good sport, take one for the team, have a good attitude, and always keep in mind she probably finds quite a few things about you abhorrent, but lets them slide since she got a package deal.
Your last line has me belly laughing. Too true. But actually your other advice is really good stuff. I was thinking along the same lines. Tell her I want to experience the non football side of South Bend. Good stuff

wear a 'hoodie flask'
hoodie-flask-640x533.jpg

I was going to recommend going to the College Football Hall of Fame, but looked it up and they moved it to Atlanta in 2014.

All advice is welcome.

Divorce may be in order here.

All advice is welcome.

Visit the Grotto for sure. It is a special place.

All advice is welcome.

Pennsy-I am from eastern PA, Scranton area. where the hell is there a sheep farm around here? BTW I hate Notre Dame and PSU but you have to keep it to yourself in these parts, don't you. I grew up in Massachusetts so that's why PSU does nothing for me.

Pennsy-I am from eastern PA, Scranton area. where the hell is there a sheep farm around here? BTW I hate Notre Dame and PSU but you have to keep it to yourself in these parts, don't you. I grew up in Massachusetts so that's why PSU does nothing for me.
I live near Harveys Lake. About one mile from the lake. Are you familiar with the area? I have about 20 acres. We have Border Leceister sheep.
And yes, around here you had better keep quiet if you hate PSU and Notre Dame

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT