ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

what happens with college football is yet to be determined. it is certainly in transition. the death of the p12 was not a good omen.

as for golf, i'm not sure other than seeing my own interest wane. i represent a very large core of golf fans, the plus 60s crew.

my sense is that both sports are going the way of major league baseball. you can read into that whatever you choose.
I understand you do not like it

But you do not represent any more than 1 very specific sports fan

yep

PGA still clueless

these guys have to be so pissed
I'd laugh if after the payment Tiger joined somehow with LIV. PGA Tour can only gurgle those Tiger nuts for maybe a few more years before he is irrelevant. Outside of Scottie, who do you tune into watch is my question for the LIV haters?

Fowler - Isn't good anymore and doesn't win shit
Rory - Maybe still has a little luster
JT - Lost his game and isn't likeable.
Speith - Kind of a headcase, but isn't able to carry the PGA Tour

Who are the other "stars" does the PGA have? To me none. There are fantastic golfers for sure, but none that I tune into watch.

Reactions: king_kong_
I'd laugh if after the payment Tiger joined somehow with LIV. PGA Tour can only gurgle those Tiger nuts for maybe a few more years before he is irrelevant. Outside of Scottie, who do you tune into watch is my question for the LIV haters?

Who are the other "stars" does the PGA have? To me none. There are fantastic golfers for sure, but none that I tune into watch.
I'm sure all the hardcore PGA Tour fans are too busy watching the team event in New Orleans right now

oops wait that can't be right

Has Hovland gone to LIV yet? His game is ridiculous, when he’s on.

I'm sure all the hardcore PGA Tour fans are too busy watching the team event in New Orleans right now

oops wait that can't be right
More people will watch that than any LIV tournament ever. The LIV tour where there are 300 people at the event and 10,000 watching worldwide on their computers. Total fail.

I’ve tried to watch some LIV and to me it sucks. Much rather watch Rory, Scottie, Xander, Homa, Morikawa, Ludvig, Hovland, Sahith, Finau, Zalatoris, JT, Speith, Fitzpatrick etc. Theres some damn good golfers in that list and the young bucks like Ludvig and Sahith have my attention

Reactions: kruller
Ha, was LIV even in the Open? To Kong and Tim, I wouldn't mind a response although neither of you seem smart regarding the subject. To a couple of the other tards, maybe Walleye and some dork I can't remember, LIV is is a rec league where there are like three outstanding golfers, or maybe one, where they don't play real championship golf. If you left, you left. Quit crying because how the LIVers finished in the majors this year was comical. Rahm, Gooch, Johnson, Smith, Koepka, Mickleson, Niemann, Reed, etc., embarrassing. DeChambeau was the only player all year who was worthwhile and i guarantee you, he is regretting his decision even if he got $100M. Quit crying that you want to come back when you left for the money. Embarrassing performances in the majors this year.

Ha, was LIV even in the Open? To Kong and Tim, I wouldn't mind a response although neither of you seem smart regarding the subject. To a couple of the other tards, maybe Walleye and some dork I can't remember, LIV is is a rec league where there are like three outstanding golfers, or maybe one, where they don't play real championship golf. If you left, you left. Quit crying because how the LIVers finished in the majors this year was comical. Rahm, Gooch, Johnson, Smith, Koepka, Mickleson, Niemann, Reed, etc., embarrassing. DeChambeau was the only player all year who was worthwhile and i guarantee you, he is regretting his decision even if he got $100M. Quit crying that you want to come back when you left for the money. Embarrassing performances in the majors this year.
I seriously doubt any of the LIV players are regretting their decision.

Reactions: Tetonia
liv seems to be slipping into obscurity. seeing ole balls phil out their embarrassing himself was sad. but bryson dechambeau, cam smith, tyrrell hatton didn't even make the cut which is even worse because they are liv's lifeline, right? oh well, i didn't miss them until this thread hit my email.

liv seems to be slipping into obscurity. seeing ole balls phil out their embarrassing himself was sad. but bryson dechambeau, cam smith, tyrrell hatton didn't even make the cut which is even worse because they are liv's lifeline, right? oh well, i didn't miss them until this thread hit my email.
I'm not really a LIV supporter, mainly because I have despised Mickelson for decades. But couldn't slobbering LIV fanboys argue that the LIV Tour is simply undervalued ?

Maybe they'll start daily threads pointing to the Saudi money as proof that their theory MUST be correct.

I seriously doubt any of the LIV players are regretting their decision.
Because you are a loser like the LIVers like the Garcia, Westwood, etc. who never were good and took the money. People who had a chance like Rahm and Smith are losers now....iike you. Dechambeau lost more money in endorsements than he will ever make in LIV. Chumps didn't regret their decision but even Rahm did at $500M, guaranteed.

Because you are a loser like the LIVers like the Garcia, Westwood, etc. who never were good and took the money. People who had a chance like Rahm and Smith are losers now....iike you. Dechambeau lost more money in endorsements than he will ever make in LIV. Chumps didn't regret their decision but even Rahm did at $500M, guaranteed.
A LIV player literally just won the US Open less than 6 weeks ago

Rahm finished T7 this weekend

Sorry about your LIV derangement syndrome, Lou

Sad? He made the cut. PGA keeps trotting Tiger out there and he can't break 75 right now, but good try. Rory, Hovland and a number of the PGA "stars" didn't make the cut either. What is your point? This is the tournament that everyone will struggle with at some point because of the weather. It would be hilarious if Xander made the jump to LIV.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
A LIV player literally just won the US Open less than 6 weeks ago

Rahm finished T7 this weekend

Sorry about your LIV derangement syndrome, Lou
Wow, strong response. Rahm will be really pleased with his strong major showings this year highlighted by his incredible T7 result at the Open. I'm sure he spent the night celebrating and telling his wife how happy he was with his 2024 performances. How many other LIVers were even in the top 20? As I wrote, DeChambeau was the only LIVer worth a crap this year. It's hard to play in a rec league on resort courses against old Euros and then compete in the majors. It can happen but playing limited field events with subpar talent on subpar courses over a weekend makes it much harder unless you are a total grinder like DeChambeau. Guys like Cam Smith and Rahm, guys who had the chance to be great, have to be kicking themselves. They got richer but they were going to be rich anyway.

Sad? He made the cut. PGA keeps trotting Tiger out there and he can't break 75 right now, but good try. Rory, Hovland and a number of the PGA "stars" didn't make the cut either. What is your point? This is the tournament that everyone will struggle with at some point because of the weather. It would be hilarious if Xander made the jump to LIV.
my point was missed, mea culpa. it was put poorly. i didn't miss the liv stars who faded badly under the pressure of an open championship. further, as someone who spent a career in commerce, much of it m&a, i don't understand what keeps this liv charade afloat other than saudi oil proceeds. it's certainly not talent. the open showed that. with few exceptions - bryson, brooks, rahm - most of the liv members are ole balls has beens: dustin, phil, sergio, kaymer, mcdowell, et al. they couldn't win the sanderson farms championship much less a british in scotland.

my point was missed, mea culpa. it was put poorly. i didn't miss the liv stars who faded badly under the pressure of an open championship. further, as someone who spent a career in commerce, much of it m&a, i don't understand what keeps this liv charade afloat other than saudi oil proceeds. it's certainly not talent. the open showed that. with few exceptions - bryson, brooks, rahm - most of the liv members are ole balls has beens: dustin, phil, sergio, kaymer, mcdowell, et al. they couldn't win the sanderson farms championship much less a british in scotland.

There is plenty of talent on LIV. I will actually agree that Phil and a few others are past their prime and LIV is probably perfect for them, but back to Saudi money, who cares? Most of this corporate money is dirty is some aspect. You can see there is a lot of interaction going on and the LIV narrative is going away. The players are all talking, the TV stations are back featuring them and pretty soon they will probably have some sort of a deal.

There is plenty of talent on LIV. I will actually agree that Phil and a few others are past their prime and LIV is probably perfect for them, but back to Saudi money, who cares? Most of this corporate money is dirty is some aspect. You can see there is a lot of interaction going on and the LIV narrative is going away. The players are all talking, the TV stations are back featuring them and pretty soon they will probably have some sort of a deal.
a merger of some sort is certain to come at some point. there's nothing good about this liv tour. and the pga suffers from the loss of guys like bryson and brooks. the game will be better when they come back.

a merger of some sort is certain to come at some point. there's nothing good about this liv tour. and the pga suffers from the loss of guys like bryson and brooks. the game will be better when they come back.

Agree that the entirety of golf will be better when this is all resolved and the 2 leagues are in perfect harmony again. Kumbaya, my friend, Kumbaya.

One of the main points to the original post was that the PGA f*cked up massively to even allow a separate league to form. They were so arrogant in their thinking that no one would leave their elitist tour that they did not change with the times. Essentially, when the PGA was forced to they made an attempt to finally do something. The whole thing turned out badly -- which never should have happened.

It is also entirely possible that a person can like/dislike players from both sides (and vice versa). That's kind of what a fan is all about. I love Mickelson and hate Tiger. Always have. I like Scheffler, and Xander (team Callaway!!!), JT, and Spieth. I like Koepka, DJ, and DeChambeau. Rory can still bite me (but I am coming around and will likely be a fan of his again someday). I think Jack Nicklaus is still the greatest golfer in history, not only for his tremendous accomplishments but also for being one of the best ambassadors for the game of golf.

And to respond to a previous poster about being smart. I think I was extremely smart to have dumped my load in your mom's arse last night instead of her bonus hole. I am not sure I have enough smart genes in my DNA to offset the stupidity in that family. :) (Mods, if this last paragraph is over the line, despite it being good, clean fun, I will delete it.)

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT