ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

I didn’t inherit a dime or a speck of dirt from my daddy. His 2nd wife got the little bit there was left when he died. As far as being an “academic” goes, I have never worked in “academics. Started out as a poorly paid employee and became self employed about 30 years ago. So once again you’re wrong on all counts.
Just a self-important blowhard then

Got it

AP23100019126304-768x512.jpg

I’m pro competition and anti labor exploiting monopoly (you know, American)

LIV is no different than the usfl in the 80s

Pga has already bent the knee. The tours will unify again soon
The only reason pro golfers can make the kind of money they can is the PGA. So one murdering Saudi prince had a personal beef with the PGA and decided to start his own competing league. IMO Phil and his buddies could just have well come out in favor of butchering journalists when they joined LIV. Stupid move IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
The only reason pro golfers can make the kind of money they can is the PGA. So one murdering Saudi prince had a personal beef with the PGA and decided to start his own competing league. IMO Phil and his buddies could just have well come out in favor of butchering journalists when they joined LIV. Stupid move IMO.
Be careful.. you’re talking about kong’s secret lover

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
phil's decision was particularly bad unless he did it to cover his gambling debts. understand that the second place guy did it because of injuries believing his career was over. most of those liv dudes are in the twilight years or just not particularly bright.

phil's decision was particularly bad unless he did it to cover his gambling debts. understand that the second place guy did it because of injuries believing his career was over. most of those liv dudes are in the twilight years or just not particularly bright.
Is it just me or does Phil not look healthy. He lost weight, but it doesn’t look good

Speaking of Phil and his gambling, When they had the PGA event at the Greenbrier in West Virginia,Phil played 2 times both one of the heavy betting favorites. Didn’t make the cut either time . Looking back just makes a guy wonder.

Did you know that an overwhelming majority of the PGA Tour’s sponsors do huge business in Saudi Arabia? Tour has been in bed with the butchers for decades, including holding multiple events there.

But I’m sure that’s somehow different

60 Minutes did a story on Saudi Arabia’s sports-washing campaign last night. It’s not just golf. Good overview of the situation.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Is it just me or does Phil not look healthy. He lost weight, but it doesn’t look good
he lost 50#. i'm guessing he is dealing with over just over a case of depression. here's a guy who was an american icon turned villian. that had to be very hard to deal with along with the impact on his lovely family.

• Haha
Did you know that an overwhelming majority of the PGA Tour’s sponsors do huge business in Saudi Arabia? Tour has been in bed with the butchers for decades, including holding multiple events there.

But I’m sure that’s somehow different
Most of them have little choice but to do business in the Middle East. I’m fine with Phil and the boys leaving for LIV. Just don’t expect to participate in the PGA benefits then. I was always a Phil fan but not anymore

Most of them have little choice but to do business in the Middle East. I’m fine with Phil and the boys leaving for LIV. Just don’t expect to participate in the PGA benefits then. I was always a Phil fan but not anymore
Why not? They accept every other tour at the rated level that tour deserves. What they're doing is going to get absolutely destroyed in Antitrust court as long as there is an impartial, lawful ruling.

Absolutely. Shouldn’t be able to jump tours and expect to be invited back in. They made their financial decision and good for them, but expecting to be embraced by everyone is just silly. Can’t say I wouldn’t have taken the money though. Just being honest.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Absolutely. Shouldn’t be able to jump tours and expect to be invited back in. They made their financial decision and good for them, but expecting to be embraced by everyone is just silly. Can’t say I wouldn’t have taken the money though. Just being honest.
Phil, Brooks and DJ have made 10s of millions of dollars due to the platform the PGA gave them. Personally unless I had been a horrible money manager I wouldn’t have taken the Saudi’s deal. They made obscene money from sponsorships on top of the purses. I’ve got no sympathy for them. They joined a league set up for the sole purpose of destroying US golf.

Most of them have little choice but to do business in the Middle East.
expound on this, please. why is 3M, for example, employing thousands in Saudi Arabia and owning/operating tens of thousands of sq ft of office space there something they have little choice to do?

and why is it no big deal for a corporation but an individual doing it is cause for uproar?

this seems very obviously hypocritical to me. unless you believe Saudi dollars are only bad when received directly from them instead of via some 3rd party like the Tour knowingly has for 40+ years.

Phil, Brooks and DJ have made 10s of millions of dollars due to the platform the PGA gave them. Personally unless I had been a horrible money manager I wouldn’t have taken the Saudi’s deal. They made obscene money from sponsorships on top of the purses. I’ve got no sympathy for them. They joined a league set up for the sole purpose of destroying US golf.
the PGA didn't 'give' those guys anything.

they earned it. every cent.

and the PGA taxed them plenty while doing so.

expound on this, please. why is 3M, for example, employing thousands in Saudi Arabia and owning/operating tens of thousands of office space there something they have little choice to do?

a why is it no big deal for a corporation but an individual doing it is cause for uproar?

this seems very obviously hypocritical to me. unless you believe Saudi dollars are only bad when received directly from them instead of via some 3rd party like the Tour knowingly has for 40+ years.
3M is a publicly traded international corporation. In case you haven’t noticed, US based international companies have almost universally made irresponsible choices regarding doing business with dictatorships and Communist countries. As an individual, I expect more from American golfers. Again, they can join LIV but I think it’s ridiculous that they think the PGA should look the other way

3M is a publicly traded international corporation. In case you haven’t noticed, US based international companies have almost universally made irresponsible choices regarding doing business with dictatorships and Communist countries. As an individual, I expect more from American golfers. Again, they can join LIV but I think it’s ridiculous that they think the PGA should look the other way
the majors look the other way and LIV is all anyone talks about

I suppose it's up to you to hold individuals on their own to a higher standard than individuals in a group (a corporation), but you and I digress there

PGA has taken way, way more Saudi money than all the LIV guys combined. they will further bend the knee and allow more player freedom soon.

Have never cared for Phil. Neither have the rest of the tour. Remember decades ago reading they had a nickname for him. No not man boobs. They called him FIGJAM. F@ck I'm Good Just Ask Me.
Never liked him...liked him less after the Shipnuck book....stupid thumbs up and tip of the cap...get over yourself...
Great golfer? Yes....Wealthy beyond belief ?Yes....do I have to like him? Not.At .All.

Why not? They accept every other tour at the rated level that tour deserves. What they're doing is going to get absolutely destroyed in Antitrust court as long as there is an impartial, lawful ruling.
LIV is more of a monopoly than the PGA. 48 players, no other chances to participate. They don't play the same type of golf. LIV sucks and their ratings are proof of that.

LIV is more of a monopoly than the PGA. 48 players, no other chances to participate. They don't play the same type of golf. LIV sucks and their ratings are proof of that.
liv is on the same network (the cw) that the p12 is said to be negotiating a contract. the irony is noteworthy.

There are chances to participate. They are set up to regulate same as soccer. They are a collection of highly rated players on highly rated courses. They absolutely deserve world rankings and spots in events based on such. You don't like it that's fine, no one cares that you dont.

Never liked him...liked him less after the Shipnuck book....stupid thumbs up and tip of the cap...get over yourself...
Great golfer? Yes....Wealthy beyond belief ?Yes....do I have to like him? Not.At .All.
Phil reminds me of an 80's movie bad guy.

he reminds me of middle aged divorcee, sleeping with another, who returns home for christmas to find a family he doesn't particularly fit with any longer.
but instead he's a person who championed women's health as his wife publicly battled & overcame cancer and who also skipped arguably one of the most important tournaments of his career to see his daughter graduate

he's also a guy who's paid for at least one private college education for a girl outside of his own family gratis because her parents were unable

meanwhile, you sound like a clucking hen without a single clue

but instead he's a person who championed women's health as his wife publicly battled & overcame cancer and who also skipped arguably one of the most important tournaments of his career to see his daughter graduate

he's also a guy who's paid for at least one private college education for a girl outside of his own family gratis because her parents were unable

meanwhile, you sound like a clucking hen without a single clue
I in fact saw Phil commit a random act of kindness at the Phoenix Open about 20 years ago. He was having a bad round but it didn’t stop him from taking his scuffed ball, signing it and then reaching through 3 layers of fans to give it to a youngster after he bogeyed 15. I guess I’m just a traditionalist and I love the PGA tour. I’ll watch a PGA event before I watch random NFL or college football games.

I in fact saw Phil commit a random act of kindness at the Phoenix Open about 20 years ago. He was having a bad round but it didn’t stop him from taking his scuffed ball, signing it and then reaching through 3 layers of fans to give it to a youngster after he bogeyed 15. I guess I’m just a traditionalist and I love the PGA tour. I’ll watch a PGA event before I watch random NFL or college football games.
I, too, love the PGA Tour. that fact is why I began this thread in the first place.

I can say with confidence that I have watched at least part of every tournament played for the last dozen or so years.

there are some really fun "fantasy" golf formats out there, too, for any interested

There are chances to participate. They are set up to regulate same as soccer. They are a collection of highly rated players on highly rated courses. They absolutely deserve world rankings and spots in events based on such. You don't like it that's fine, no one cares that you dont.
LIV is never going to win the anti-trust suit. The Saudis would be open to discovery and depositions and they aren't going to do that. For the most part, LIV is for old men and players on the downside of their careers. Besides Koepka, look at the clowns who have won their events. Only Harold Varner seems to speak the truth about that tour. LIV is a third rate tour.

Reactions: AVeritas
LIV is never going to win the anti-trust suit. The Saudis would be open to discovery and depositions and they aren't going to do that. For the most part, LIV is for old men and players on the downside of their careers. Besides Koepka, look at the clowns who have won their events. Only Harold Varner seems to speak the truth about that tour. LIV is a third rate tour.
half the top 6 in 2023's first major were LIV players

And four large shots behind the winner. And only four LIV players in all of the top 25. They could win a major here and there but, overall, it's a weak-ass tour of mostly has-beens.
which 2nd rate tours produce multiple top 25s in majors, have everyone expecting them to produce a winner, and dominate headlines during the biggest weekends on the schedule?

I fully expect LIV and the PGA to unify (perhaps at the PGA's expense) in the relative short term, especially after the Tour adopts most of LIV's format/player benefits starting in '24.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT