ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!
Only issue I have with College football now is that potentially a school(team) can have practically all new players from year to year. All depends upon how much money is available to each via NIL. How difficult that must be for the coaches? Why recruit if you know it will be a revolving door annually? Why does a kid even need to go to class. Just get a zero and transfer out at the end of the year. That is what is happening in basketball as they go pro after one year and have never passed a class. Guess getting a college degree these days is meaningless. Time are a changing!

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Reading the comments on that Tweet leaves me wondering how much it matters....and I don't know that answer but a lot of people look at it like a second rate channel, and an amateur move.

Reactions: king_kong_
didn't take long for my prediction to fully become realized

Yep. Pretty soon they are going to be wearing shorts and basically becoming the mirror of LIV all while taking money from all kinds of shady money in the process but wanting to scream at Saudi Arabia!!!! Golf has an opportunity to leverage all of this shit. Create a team event with the PGA now. Let's go!

That may be the case, but everyone in the PGA can thank LIV for all of the changes otherwise nothing would have changed. LIV was the real agent of change and forced PGA's hand.
No argument with that. I suspect charities will be the outlier with all this. There's only so much money to spread around.

No argument with that. I suspect charities will be the outlier with all this. There's only so much money to spread around.
Charities incur all of the cost of the tournament and hope the proceeds, minus the PGA's cut, cover their costs and turn a profit. Now that the 19 elevated tourneys have been arranged you see sponsors like Honda leave because the non-19 tournaments won't pay for themselves. PGA has been scamming everyone for decades.

Once the players realized that they are the ones in charge, everything changed.

It is simple, I am not going to watch Top Gun III if the part of Tom Cruise is being played by another actor.
Yep

A good lesson for all who are talentless but rely on talent to make money

Don’t be a visionless greedy toad

Reactions: leodisflowers
LIV is the USFL of golf, it's not the ABA. The PGA will adjust, as it is. LIV will die.
As usual, you missed the entire point

PGA is being forced to adapt because of its own overestimation of itself

Typical of those who are directly profiting off the sweat and work of those with actual talent

There’s a reason I lumped the PGA in with the ncaa in the title of this thread

I don think the PGA cares , so far Dustin Johnson is tue only name they have lost , we will see how it works out.
Lol Cam Smith, Brooks, Neimann, Oosthuizen, Westwood, (DJ)… all have been top 20 players in the last few years. Smith and DJ top 5. They have every bit as much talent as the PGA, noting proportional to their league size.

PGA tried to cancel Phil, did fine and censure him for verbalizing something 100% true. Kinda like cancelling people for refusing to misgender the ‘gender confused’. Pissed him off, to no Sane Person’s surprise.

This is what tipped the scales with LIV, IMHO. Phil giving a big, public middle finger to the Cancel Crowd. I LOVE the PGA otherwise, but yeah they deserved this. Excited to see LIV streaming. Nothing wrong with a little competition. Brings out people’s best.

Last edited:
The PGA has no one to blame but themselves. A lot of the players have been asking for changes for many years so the PGA knew this was coming eventually. Instead of working with the players and seeing how both the PGA and LIV could co-exist (they already co-exist with the DP Tour in Europe), the PGA arrogantly tried to bluff their way into eliminating this tour from existence. Nearly 50 players called the bluff and the way it looks there will be even more.

A lot of the top pro names as far as recognition have wanted to capitalize on their brand for a long time. The PGA has resisted that, and the things they tried to do to compensate from a monetary perspective are not nearly enough for the most well-known players.

The political aspect of coming from the Saudis is a false flag. We have our President going to Saudi Arabia in a month to beg for more oil production. The Saudis have major interests in banking and finance. The list goes on and on for major industries.
^^^ this.

Only issue I have with College football now is that potentially a school(team) can have practically all new players from year to year. All depends upon how much money is available to each via NIL. How difficult that must be for the coaches? Why recruit if you know it will be a revolving door annually? Why does a kid even need to go to class. Just get a zero and transfer out at the end of the year. That is what is happening in basketball as they go pro after one year and have never passed a class. Guess getting a college degree these days is meaningless. Time are a changing!
Not gonna lie… I don’t have much problem watching ‘pro athletes’ put literally all their eggs in one basket, make what they thought was a lotta money, watching their careers fizzle, and blowing their entire existence because they were too stupid to have a backup plan that didn’t include pro sports.

Would be in favor of ALL professional athletes being required to have a four year degree. 100%. Seems the most annoying athletes are the ones who skipped out on using their brains.

You are 110% correct, there isn't going to be any add'l $ generated; it's just going to be distributed differently. So now the tour (which is a non-profit entity that is an association of the PGA players) will just donate less and give more $ to guys to hit a white ball. So if people (LIV / Kong) feel good about that....

• Haha
You are 110% correct, there isn't going to be any add'l $ generated; it's just going to be distributed differently. So now the tour (which is a non-profit entity that is an association of the PGA players) will just donate less and give more $ to guys to hit a white ball. So if people (LIV / Kong) feel good about that....
Charities don’t need anymore money. They already have enough. The money should go to individual players and they can trickle it down as they see fit.

Charities don’t need anymore money. They already have enough. The money should go to individual players and they can trickle it down as they see fit.
PGA just announced today they’re eliminating any players cut at specific (quite a few) PGA-sponsored events, while decreasing the field size. Aka paying more money. OBVIOUSLY this is in response to LIV money. Having an IMMEDIATE effect on what the PGA will be doling out. Supply and Demand, baby…

PGA just announced today they’re eliminating any players cut at specific (quite a few) PGA-sponsored events, while decreasing the field size. Aka paying more money. OBVIOUSLY this is in response to LIV money. Having an IMMEDIATE effect on what the PGA will be doling out. Supply and Demand, baby…

Good. I hate meritocracy just like Rory

I enjoy the larger fields and seeing some young guy earn a big check by getting hot on the weekend.

I enjoy the larger fields and seeing some young guy earn a big check by getting hot on the weekend.
well, that can theoretically still happen, just a bigger gap to climb. My issue is the smaller field size. Having one's Tour Card is gonna suddenly mean a lot less... they're gonna be inviting a significantly reduced fraction of the top 100+ players.

agreed.

just a different brand of turd than the PGA powers that be, whose high-on-the-hog demeanor created this mess.

You can include the announcers and most media in the "PGA powers that be" in this situation. Was listening to XM 92 yesterday afternoon, when Rocco Mediate was being interviewed by K&M. I was excited to hear Rocco was getting his own show as he always seemed like a cool dude that would have some fun stories. Unfortunately, he went on a big, vindictive rant about LIV - basically an F U because who are these LIV players to not want to bow down to the PGA Tour for making them what they are today. I realize it is PGA Tour radio, but I no longer have a desire to listen to his show anymore. (A lot of the LIV players made the PGA Tour what it is today, but I don't think that even crossed his brain.)

You can include the announcers and most media in the "PGA powers that be" in this situation. Was listening to XM 92 yesterday afternoon, when Rocco Mediate was being interviewed by K&M. I was excited to hear Rocco was getting his own show as he always seemed like a cool dude that would have some fun stories. Unfortunately, he went on a big, vindictive rant about LIV - basically an F U because who are these LIV players to not want to bow down to the PGA Tour for making them what they are today. I realize it is PGA Tour radio, but I no longer have a desire to listen to his show anymore. (A lot of the LIV players made the PGA Tour what it is today, but I don't think that even crossed his brain.)

Wait....there's golf radio?? Yikes. That sounds....boring.

great work, as always, talentless fat cats....

Ya know, I’d never liked Phil, until this. a) the PGA shit on him, repeatedly. Tried to cancel him for verbalizing Truths they maybe didn’t wanna hear, but nonetheless Truths. PGA deserved this, 100% and b) this is CAPITALISM. Big ‘F*ck Off’ to anyone who wants to whine about it. LIV guys are getting paid More, a lot more, to spend more time with their families, still play majors if they qualify, and IMHO probably just a less stressful, better quality of life.

Honestly seems like a no-brainer for them personally… just hope we can get live coverage on something more than ‘the CQ’ or whatever else No One will know about or tune in to… I hope they draw more players. More top 20 players, and compete AGAINST EACH OTHER. Ryder Cup format or something.

Sorry… Phil still an over the hill player who is an annoying fake in the best of times… hope he fades quickly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT