ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

I gave you two arguments and three reasons why this LIV movement is bad for the game, meritocracy, charities, and developmental golf.

I gave you two arguments and three reasons why this LIV movement is bad for the game, meritocracy, charities, and developmental golf.
meritocracy - again, this argument is clear as mud since everyone who's gotten paid by LIV has earned it (via meritocracy), and their events are exhibitions which by definition don't compete with the PGA's tournaments

charities - are you saying more money overall in golf means less money for charities? please clarify, because I think it's plainly obvious the inverse is and will be true

developmental golf - so, because there is competition now, the PGA is going to fold the mini tours? it's going to take every dollar away from the mini tours so it can keep the Rorys and JT's of the world happy? please clarify

meritocracy - again, this argument is clear as mud since everyone who's gotten paid by LIV has earned it (via meritocracy), and their events are exhibitions which by definition don't compete with the PGA's tournaments

charities - are you saying more money overall in golf means less money for charities? please clarify, because I think it's plainly obvious the inverse is and will be true

developmental golf - so, because there is competition now, the PGA is going to fold the mini tours? it's going to take every dollar away from the mini tours so it can keep the Rorys and JT's of the world happy? please clarify
They have earned nothing based on today's performance. They are paid huge sums for what happened in the past, not what they are doing in tournament play.

Money from tour events has resulted in over $3 billion to charities.

Additional money that goes to players has to come from somewhere. One source would be developmental golf.

They have earned nothing based on today's performance. They are paid huge sums for what happened in the past, not what they are doing in tournament play.

Money from tour events has resulted in over $3 billion to charities.

Additional money that goes to players has to come from somewhere. One source would be developmental golf.
If you don’t think guys like Phil and Brooks have earned their paychecks, well, I suppose you’re entitled to an incorrect opinion

Based on the behavior of the organization in the past, it would be very on-brand and very hilarious for the PGA Tour to take these additional prize monies from the charity and developmental pools

I actually kind of hope that happens, but surely no institution could be that stupid/tone deaf/incompetent

Where do you think $3B comes from, thin air? You must love Biden.
Increased operating expenses should eat into the stockpile of the tax-free profits of the Tour

you know, all the cash they’ve been skimping off the players for decades?

again - it would be just perfect for them to take from charities/growing the game instead of themselves

what’s worse - being in bed with the Saudis like the LIV players? or being in bed with the Saudis AND stealing from charities like the PGA Tour?

character shows in the face of adversity. could the PGA really stoop to such pathetic lows after all the money they themselves take from the Saudis has been revealed?

guess we’ll find out!

Increased operating expenses should eat into the stockpile of the tax-free profits of the Tour.

Now there's some brilliant nothingness.

The tax savings since Congress made the tour exempt is estimated to be $500 million. That's a long way from $3 billion given to charities.

Last edited:
Increased operating expenses should eat into the stockpile of the tax-free profits of the Tour.

Now there's some brilliant nothingness.

The tax savings since Congress made the tour exempt is estimated to be $500 million. That's a long way from $3 billion given to charities.
You’re right.

In hindsight, it’s good that close to zero of that $3B came from the Tour itself (this argument is comical - the events themselves & their sponsors aren’t going anywhere & that’s where the charity comes from).

keep bringing in those Saudi-backed sponsors, PGA Tour! High tide raises all boats!

Really $2.5 billion is close to zero? Only in Nebraska, I presume.
The Tour itself.

Not the Tour’s sponsors, two dozen of which accept billions in Saudi investment.

Try again, kitten

I’m sure the money saved by utilizing volunteers at the John Deere far outruns the hundreds of millions given by the Tour’s sponsors & their Saudi investors

yes, this is why golfers shouldn’t consider cashing a giant check from the same exact people the PGA cashes checks from

I’m sure the money saved by utilizing volunteers at the John Deere far outruns the hundreds of millions given by the Tour’s sponsors & their Saudi investors

yes, this is why golfers shouldn’t consider cashing a giant check from the same exact people the PGA cashes checks from
Of course your attempting, poorly I might add, you're attempting to close on a minor point, Saudi funding, when the debate points you asked for and I gave you for the PGA tour were merit, charity, and development. But do carry on, this is quite entertaining watching you try to untie a constrictor knot of your own making.

Of course your attempting, poorly I might add, you're attempting to close on a minor point, Saudi funding, when the debate points you asked for and I gave you for the PGA tour were merit, charity, and development. But do carry on, this is quite entertaining watching you try to untie a constrictor knot of your own making.
Merit - said it 1,000x - everyone paid by LIV earned it on the course and everyone who wins a pga event will benefit more going forward

charity - zero dollars will be sacrificed since it’s the PGA’s largely Saudi-backed sponsors that donate and not the cheapskate PGA Tour themselves. charity will only increase, no thanks to penny pinchers like you

development - see: charity

your “arguments”, if you’d even call them that, are perhaps a teeny bit more liquid version of shit than your brains

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Bubba Watson just announced he has joined LIV. If you look at the list of players on the LIV tour it is getting pretty close to matching the star power of most PGA events.

Not even close
He didn't say talent. He said star power. There are some names on the LIV tour. Are they past their prime? Most of them yes, but they are also big fan draws. A lot of the golf crowd grew up watching a lot of the LIV players. The LIV would be real smart if they start to target some young wild guys like Cam because that will grow the game for the younger generation. I also think the good part about he LIV is they have an opportunity to start moving away from the stuffy country club atmosphere. Change the dress code, pair down the rules, etc. There is a lot that can be done for golf.

The Middle East and China want to pump a lot of propaganda into our living-rooms. They don't care about the quality of the golf.

well, exactly what I predicted would happen has happened

more opportunities and way, way more cash in the hands of the players

shocking

And far less interest from sports fans.
200.gif

do you have any objective proof of this?

or are you just posting your feelings again?
It's my opinion.

Splitting the tour isn't what sports fans want. Big guaranteed money lessens the importance of the events, which isn't what sports fans want.

I used to love the WWF....until Vince McMahon panicked at the rise of the UFC sometime around 2004. That's when I quit watching. I can't even stomach 2 minutes of WWE now, it's so bad. McMahon switched his audience from sports fans to an international audience of reality-show contest-show fans. And he makes most of his money through merchandising....the audience is WAY down. Sports fans did indeed go to the UFC.

This is what might happen for golf.

It's my opinion.

Splitting the tour isn't what sports fans want. Big guaranteed money lessens the importance of the events, which isn't what sports fans want.

I used to love the WWF....until Vince McMahon panicked at the rise of the UFC sometime around 2004. That's when I quit watching. I can't even stomach 2 minutes of WWE now, it's so bad. McMahon switched his audience from sports fans to an international audience of reality-show contest-show fans. And he makes most of his money through merchandising....the audience is WAY down. Sports fans did indeed go to the UFC.

yea I'm not going to read this

if I wanted to hear your opinion, I'd lift a buttcheek and fart

I predict people who like to watch golf will still watch golf and people who don't, won't.....and people like me will still think it's the cushiest amd most overpaid job on the planet.

Reactions: king_kong_
I predict people who like to watch golf will still watch golf and people who don't, won't.....and people like me will still think it's the cushiest amd most overpaid job on the planet.
I predict that a lot of guys who would have watched golf...who would have tuned in for big events of importance...won't watch as much or at all.

• Haha
I predict that a lot of guys who would have watched golf...who would have tuned in for big events of importance...won't watch as much or at all.
"big events of importance" are impacted by LIV about as much as national championship odds are impacted by minnesota:

ZERO

like I said, I can learn as much from your opinions as I can from a fart. plus, the fart is funny!

"big events of importance" are impacted by LIV about as much as national championship odds are impacted by minnesota:

ZERO

like I said, I can learn as much from your opinions as I can from a fart. plus, the fart is funny!
Ok, ok. Maybe if you guys actually win tomorrow, you won't be so insufferable. And you won't keep saying that everyone sucks except about 3 teams.

It's my opinion.

My god, it’s all coming together now, wwf 🤣 still living in parents basement too?

Trouble in LIV land?? Hahaha. Very interesting article I just read, this was in the first few lines.

LIV Golf, the Saudi Arabian-backed rebel golf circuit, could lose an incredible $355 million by 2028

Trouble in LIV land?? Hahaha. Very interesting article I just read, this was in the first few lines.

LIV Golf, the Saudi Arabian-backed rebel golf circuit, could lose an incredible $355 million by 2028

So about $50-$60 million per year, assuming no change to the current business model that does not yet have TV rights or World Golf Ranking points? Or was that $355 million per year? If cumulative, seems like pocket money to a lot of the Saudi royalty. If LIV can get TV coverage and World Golf Ranking points, they probably recoup that loss fairly quickly.

Personally, I would rather watch a LIV event than the Sanderson Farms Open. Ehh, who am I kidding, I would watch them both....

Reported today that Augusta National will invite 16 LIV tour players for the 2023 Masters (based on previously established criteria). They will announce criteria for 2024 after the event.

Heard Augusta moved the tee box on #13 back about 40 yards. Has been needed for years. Will make it more of a true risk/reward par 5.
Yep. Heard and a lot of mixed reviews. I would agree it is a good thing, but you had some punks like Billy Horschel bitching. With these guys as well its like so sorry that you no longer have a 8 iron in and have to only still hit a 5 iron into a par 5. I for one love the change and like how Augusta National is always trying to adapt to the extent they can.

Yep. Heard and a lot of mixed reviews. I would agree it is a good thing, but you had some punks like Billy Horschel bitching. With these guys as well its like so sorry that you no longer have a 8 iron in and have to only still hit a 5 iron into a par 5. I for one love the change and like how Augusta National is always trying to adapt to the extent they can.

Eventually they will run out of options, especially since their desire is to maintain as a par 72 for historical value. Realistically, it is a par 70. Been there once, and it is even better than anyone can imagine. But even at my advanced age i would make birdie on a couple of those par 5s half the time (depending on pin position).

LIV will now be televised over the air, completing its quest for legitimacy

once again - great job, PGA Tour, for allowing your lunch to be so thoroughly and quickly devoured by ill-meaning foreigners

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
LIV will now be televised over the air, completing its quest for legitimacy

once again - great job, PGA Tour, for allowing your lunch to be so thoroughly and quickly devoured by ill-meaning foreigners

The PGA is amazing, talk about a good ole boy network that actually thought they would untouchable.

I can't wait until next year when LIV hosts their own majors and all the good players go there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT