ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The PGA Tour, LIV Golf and the NCAA

and just like that, the PGA Tour magically finds $160M (guaranteed) for the top 50 spread out over 8 exhibitions starting next season

huge win for all current and prospective pro golfers everywhere, and a pretty embarrassing tail-between-legs L for the powers that be

perhaps one day I'll be applauded for consistent exemplary vision and foresight

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
and just like that, the PGA Tour magically finds $160M (guaranteed) for the top 50 spread out over 8 exhibitions starting next season

huge win for all current and prospective pro golfers everywhere, and a pretty embarrassing tail-between-legs L for the powers that be

perhaps one day I'll be applauded for consistent exemplary vision and foresight
Where's it coming from? See my earlier post for a little insight.

Where's it coming from? See my earlier post for a little insight
if you repost it, I'll read it

I'm not going to comb through your virtue signaling nonsense about younger generations and evil dollar bills

fact is - without the Saudis, the PGA officials would've happily kept that $160M in their pockets

long LIV competition

Reactions: leodisflowers
I am about as traditional as it comes regarding golf, having played the game for 50 years. I still reminisce about the sound of metal spikes on cement cart paths. Had a custom-made persimmon wood and it was cool. I think if Jack Nicklaus could play in this generation and with the current technology, he would have won way more than 18 majors.

My initial thoughts leaned toward the PGA and not the LIV pros. However, after getting more information and disregarding anything the media and talking heads said, I did an about face. As I said earlier in this thread, the pros have been trying for years to make changes and capitalize on their fame and what they bring to the game. Instead, the PGA failed to implement meaningful incentives and bonuses. Like most elites (political, professional, academic, etc.) they still think things are the same as 50-60 years ago and try to force solutions rooted in the past. And as should be a shock to no one, when the outdated solutions failed to achieve the desired result, they became vindictive. For some reason the PGA continues to apply a communistic approach to the capitalist marketplace. They have been able to get away with that for years, but not anymore. No effort. No compromise. No common ground.

While it probably won’t happen, the PGA deserves to have Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed, and Brooks Koepka finish 1-2-3 (with Brooks announcing he has signed a LIV contract after finishing his final round).

I only got 1/2 of the prediction correct. None of the LIV players came close to winning the US Open last week - but Brooks Koepka did announce he has joined the LIV Tour.

And almost at the same time, the PGA announced an 8-event series of $160 million in pool money that will go to the top 50 players. Geez, that is pretty close to what the LIV Tour is doing. The PGA could have saved itself a lot of problems if they weren't so vindictive and sanctimonious. Wonder what Brandel Chamblee thinks of that?

Reactions: king_kong_
I only got 1/2 of the prediction correct. None of the LIV players came close to winning the US Open last week - but Brooks Koepka did announce he has joined the LIV Tour.

And almost at the same time, the PGA announced an 8-event series of $160 million in pool money that will go to the top 50 players. Geez, that is pretty close to what the LIV Tour is doing. The PGA could have saved itself a lot of problems if they weren't so vindictive and sanctimonious. Wonder what Brandel Chamblee thinks of that?
Not even close what the LIV is doing, they are giving Dustin Johnson , Koepka and now Chamblee 100 million guarantees , What the PGA is doing is giving its top players a few million dollars extra.

Not even close what the LIV is doing, they are giving Dustin Johnson , Koepka and now Chamblee 100 million guarantees , What the PGA is doing is giving its top players a few million dollars extra.

Right. I should have clarified. The structure is similar to the LIV regarding number of events and essentially providing appearance fee. But the LIV $$ is substantially more.

What I tried to highlight, but didn't do a very good job, was if the PGA was that close to announcing this you know they have been discussing for a long time. Why didn't they work with the PGA members who were likely to bolt to the LIV and get their input and inform them changes were coming. Maybe not as fast as the LIV members wanted, but apparently something was happening.

Right. I should have clarified. The structure is similar to the LIV regarding number of events and essentially providing appearance fee. But the LIV $$ is substantially more.

What I tried to highlight, but didn't do a very good job, was if the PGA was that close to announcing this you know they have been discussing for a long time. Why didn't they work with the PGA members who were likely to bolt to the LIV and get their input and inform them changes were coming. Maybe not as fast as the LIV members wanted, but apparently something was happening.
Yes you’re right it makes the PGA look bad , as you said why not make this announcement sooner. I think what the PGA is doing with this , they are trying to Keep the Young guns like Morikawa , Scottie Sheffler And Zoltarius with this new format, For the most part the LIV is getting the guys that know they can’t win week in and week out anymore. The young guys know they can’t throw 100 million at everyone, and they are to competitive

still waiting for Rory and the other bootlickers to publicly thank Greg Norman and their peers for sticking their necks out and forever changing the PGA Tour for the better

every pro golfer will make much more money today & tomorrow than they would have 3 months ago

still waiting for Rory and the other bootlickers to publicly thank Greg Norman and their peers for sticking their necks out and forever changing the PGA Tour for the better

every pro golfer will make much more money today & tomorrow than they would have 3 months ago
What’s funny about this , I just was informed by someone , the purses in the tournaments are not even real, the money goes against the players guaranteed contract, they are already paid , they literally aren’t playing for anything in these tournaments.

first legal domino falls in favor of LIV players (obviously)

a professional golf world where players can play wherever they wish shall be upon us shortly, as predicted by yours truly

still waiting for Rory and JT to give their peers a big THANK YOU for sticking their necks out in the face of public backlash & legacy tarnishing to give every golfer more opportunities to earn significant cash despite the PGA Tour doing all it can to prevent this reality from taking place

first legal domino falls in favor of LIV players (obviously)

a professional golf world where players can play wherever they wish shall be upon us shortly, as predicted by yours truly

still waiting for Rory and JT to give their peers a big THANK YOU for sticking their necks out in the face of public backlash & legacy tarnishing to give every golfer more opportunities to earn significant cash despite the PGA Tour doing all it can to prevent this reality from taking place

Not going to happen, The Scottish open is like the US open , I can try to qualify for the Open ,players will not be allowed to be play both tours , again not going to happen.

Not going to happen, The Scottish open is like the US open , I can try to qualify for the Open ,players will not be allowed to be play both tours , again not going to happen.
players will be able to participate in LIV while also having their official world golf rankings remain intact and play in all 4 majors + WGC events

this was my prediction on June 7th, and this is the reality the courts will impose very very soon

players will be able to participate in LIV while also having their official world golf rankings remain intact and play in all 4 majors + WGC events

this was my prediction on June 7th, and this is the reality the courts will impose very very soon
Yes , but they won’t be able to play on the PGA tour . and to be honest ,I don’t t thin they give a shit.

Yes , but they won’t be able to play on the PGA tour . and to be honest ,I don’t t thin they give a shit.
of course they don't give a sh*t. nor should they.

as much as Rory wants to pound his chest about his "historic" canadian open victory, the reality is those tournaments merely equate to a day at the office. no more, no less.

of course they don't give a sh*t. nor should they.

as much as Rory wants to pound his chest about his "historic" canadian open victory, the reality is those tournaments merely equate to a day at the office. no more, no less.
If they don’t care , who is going to worry about taking the PGA tour to court, you just sound like a guy who thinks you have a right to do whatever you want nobody the rules in place.

If they don’t care , who is going to worry about taking the PGA tour to court, you just sound like a guy who thinks you have a right to do whatever you want nobody the rules in place.
the PGA is bringing this all on themselves by attempting to blackball these players above and beyond the Tour's reach (world golf rankings, majors, etc)

the players just want to play where they want and make as much money as they possibly can

LOL!!!

perhaps one day you all will see me for the sooth sayer I have proven to be, time and again

So weird that one capitalist measures open up that things seem to get better and the "workers" make more money...ironic since so many people seem to think that competition and free market makes things worse.

Know why the PGA treated the golfers like crap? Because they could.

So weird that one capitalist measures open up that things seem to get better and the "workers" make more money...ironic since so many people seem to think that competition and free market makes things worse.

Know why the PGA treated the golfers like crap? Because they could.
it's an American institution, though! millennial's values are ruining the world!

@AVeritas you've been awfully quiet

it's an American institution, though! millennial's values are ruining the world!

@AVeritas you've been awfully quiet
How sad is it that those dudes that went to the LIV were basically scared to say "Well, yeah, they offered me 100 million dollars to play golf, so of course it was about the money".

All because of super hypocrites in America that would lose their shit at that comment.

How sad is it that those dudes that went to the LIV were basically scared to say "Well, yeah, they offered me 100 million dollars to play golf, so of course it was about the money".

All because of super hypocrites in America that would lose their shit at that comment.
Bryson DeChambeau was the only one that said it’s strictly a business decision. Everything is always about money , that will never change, just like it’s not what you know it’s who you know!

Reactions: SuperBigFan
I am watching a documentary on Prince called Slave Trade: How Prince Changed the Music Industry. There are a lot of parallels between the music industry in the late 1990s (record labels, selling music, and touring) and the PGA of today. Prince was way ahead of his time regarding the business model.

it is worth the watch regarding this topic. And you get to hear the music from the greatest musical talent of all time.
They have Hendrix on that documentary? Sweet.

The PGA and DPWT just showed their vindictive, sanctimonious, petty colors. They have disinvited Greg Norman from the British Open past champions dinner and events. So much for their statements about wanting to grow the game. Norman is arguably in the top 5 of all time of pros who have tirelessly promoted golf all over the world.

The PGA and DPWT just showed their vindictive, sanctimonious, petty colors. They have disinvited Greg Norman from the British Open past champions dinner and events. So much for their statements about wanting to grow the game. Norman is arguably in the top 5 of all time of pros who have tirelessly promoted golf all over the world.
The people that run those tours have absolutely 0 percent of power to get a past champions invited for these events, this shows how ignorant you are!

So a 2-time British Open champion is not allowed at any events, and you think the PGA and DPWT were completely uninvolved with that decision. Shows how naive you are.
The 2 tours can’t keep the Liv tour golfers from playing in the tournament, but you think they can keep The people at St Andrews from inviting a past champion to the Champions dinner ..Don’t think so!

no guaranteed contracts + exploding tv/ad revenue + a bunch of dumb old, fat, rich, ignorant traditionalists = OPPORTUNITY!

good for the players using their leverage to go out and change things for the better. ball is in the PGA's court now, and they will posture a ton publicly prior to bending the knee. it's over. they've lost before they've even entered the ring.

I love this stuff. just like NIL/transfer portal in college football, this has been a long, long time coming

God Bless America - F the establishment, power to the people!
Why would you want guaranteed contracts for an individual sport like golf? The only thing that makes it interesting or motivating is the money for individual tournaments.

I guess it makes as much sense as turning 'college' FB & BB into minor league pro sports.

David Feherty signs with LIV Tour as announcer.

Rumor is Henrik Stenson (Ryder Cup European Captain) was moving to the LIV, but also heard he has denied that. Another rumor is recently crowned Champion Golfer of the Year, Cameron Smith, is set to sign with LIV. Those last 2 may be just Internet rumors.

Discuss??

David Feherty signs with LIV Tour as announcer.

Rumor is Henrik Stenson (Ryder Cup European Captain) was moving to the LIV, but also heard he has denied that. Another rumor is recently crowned Champion Golfer of the Year, Cameron Smith, is set to sign with LIV. Those last 2 may be just Internet rumors.

Discuss??
It's going to be hard to deny them. Golf needs a revamp and at least LIV is trying a few new things.

Golf is perfect today, totally merit based. With Saudi money, it's seemingly moving the direction of the NBA. I suspect fan interest will dwindle.

Golf is perfect today, totally merit based. With Saudi money, it's seemingly moving the direction of the NBA. I suspect fan interest will dwindle.
💯 spot on , I like money who doesn’t, but the Liv tour is exhibitions , if the PGA goes there then that’s all golf is going to be, I will start watching Tennis, at least they will still be earning the money on how they play.

Reactions: AVeritas
It will end exactly as I predicted:

players will be able to do whatever they want wherever they want and compete in the 4 majors to prove where they stand on the world stage

there will be zero impact to any and all merit-based outcomes, and the result will be more pieces of a bigger global pie for pro golfers

can’t imagine being wrong about this the whole time and still digging in. brutal.

disruption - the American way!

You obviously don't know the meaning of merit.
Merit isn’t selective. It’s also not limited to 4-day increments.

Want to earn a giant LIV contract? Go win the Open Championship. Or be Phil Mickelson.

Last I checked, there aren’t any lotteries for who gets paid what in golf.

Saudi Arabia did 9/11 so why would you want to play golf for them
Makes you wonder why the PGA Tour, an American institution, would be so asleep at the wheel for all these years

Should’ve learned from the ncaa but had its lunch money stolen instead

Typical bureaucratic operation in the end - the curtain has been removed & the actual value creators (the players) will soon be in charge of their own fates, as all elite independent contractors should be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT