ADVERTISEMENT

OT: instability and malaise

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
I'm getting a serious vibe that things are really starting to go wrong in this country.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but wanted to get a sanity check, to see if anyone else is noticing this as well.

I know we have had pockets of instability here and there in this country for awhile, mostly in blue states, but not the rest of the country. Here in Florida, things have been chill for most of the Pandemic.

Just in the last week, taking in the headlines, social media, and just my own social circle.. I'm picking up on a more generalized instability and malaise around the entire country.

I think most everyone in my offline social circle has sort of freaked out about one thing or another in just the past week, and while I'm doing my best to keep everyone calm, I'm secretly now having some real concerns.

Is anyone else getting this kind of vibe?

I'm not really concerned at this point with who wins or loses anymore, and not here to fight or argue sides, I'm just trying to look at things from the big picture, 50,000 foot perspective, and honestly question that the new administration may not be able to handle this mess, and wonder if things could start to come apart.

For those that are keeping their family and friends calm, please keep doing this.

But among you guys, tell me I'm not the only one who is starting to have some serious concerns where things are headed.

I'm getting a serious vibe that things are really starting to go wrong in this country.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but wanted to get a sanity check, to see if anyone else is noticing this as well.

I know we have had pockets of instability here and there in this country for awhile, mostly in blue states, but not the rest of the country. Here in Florida, things have been chill for most of the Pandemic.

Just in the last week, taking in the headlines, social media, and just my own social circle.. I'm picking up on a more generalized instability and malaise around the entire country.

I think most everyone in my offline social circle has sort of freaked out about one thing or another in just the past week, and while I'm doing my best to keep everyone calm, I'm secretly now having some real concerns.

I'm not really concerned at this point with who wins or loses anymore, and not here to fight or argue sides, I'm just trying to look at things from the big picture, 50,000 foot perspective, and honestly question that the new administration may not be able to handle this mess, and wonder if things could start to come apart.

For those that are keeping their family and friends calm, please keep doing this.

But among you guys, tell me I'm not the only one who is starting to have some serious concerns where things are headed.
You're not wrong. Non-religious people won't agree with my take on this, but there seems to be a level of spiritual oppression going on right now like we've never seen. Even outside of politics and covid, everybody seems to be very restless and agitated, doing things or saying things they never would have in the past. You can feel the tension.

f60db82acb9510030d2cf396c5bfa087_its-fine-the-anthem-of-meme-everything-is-fine-fire_1280-720.jpeg

12 straight years of those at the very top looking to drive wedges into our society on (fill in the blank on your favorite hot button issue here____________) in the interest of "winning" is starting to be seen all over the place.

An increasing number of people I know see other Americans with differing worldviews from their own as the "enemy".

Some of this depends on your world view. I have a Biblical World View for which I do not apologize. Yes, there is an increase in spiritual activity and demonic forces that you see showing up in society. I am not saying the "end is near" as no one knows when that will be. I do believe that life will never be the same and there are forces at work - to create what in their minds is a utopian society that keeps us all under control. When they start down the path of gun control, food rationing, installing chips for vaccine, tracking and all that, we will have lost our freedoms. I don't live in fear, I have my trust in a higher being but I don't live in total ignorance either, there is a reality of the world situation.

Some of this depends on your world view. I have a Biblical World View for which I do not apologize. Yes, there is an increase in spiritual activity and demonic forces that you see showing up in society. I am not saying the "end is near" as no one knows when that will be. I do believe that life will never be the same and there are forces at work - to create what in their minds is a utopian society that keeps us all under control. When they start down the path of gun control, food rationing, installing chips for vaccine, tracking and all that, we will have lost our freedoms. I don't live in fear, I have my trust in a higher being but I don't live in total ignorance either, there is a reality of the world situation.
Now more than ever, we need to be prayerful for ourselves and take Ephesians 6 to heart. It's also a good time to stop and remember that this life isn't a destination, its a bridge to get to the other side.

IMHO there is something to this.

About 6 weeks ago, my youngest brother, who is 42, found out that my folks were voting for Trump. And he absolutely lost his shit. Not going to air family laundry, but he said and wrote things that you wouldn't say to your enemies.

As a family, we rarely, if ever, talked politics growing up. Just routine small talk type stuff mostly.

At any rate, as the meltdown was occurring, I asked to be removed from the text string which included my folks, myself, himself, and my sister, that was becoming increasingly vile.

He then turned on me. Asked me how I was voting. I told him that he doesn't need to be concerned with that and that I am not concerned with how he is voting, that has nothing to do with our relationship.

His response was the lynchpin:

"If you're not worried how Mom or Dad or I vote then you're a huge part of the problem and are what's wrong with the direction of this country".

Not going to air the fallout.

However, this is exactly what I'm seeing. Total binary thinking. On the right. On the left.

If you're not for us, you're against us. If you don't like Trump that means you like Biden and support Pelosi . If you don't like Biden you like Trump and love McConnell. If you're not demonstrating in the streets for cause X you are against us and are part of the problem -- the enemy.

I don't know if that's being taught in schools. I don't know if it's an effect of bring able to insulate yourself on social media with only like minded individuals. But it's a real problem.

Listen to Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire". One of the few good things about being 60-something is after being in crises for 60 years, nothing really excites me much anymore. It started when I was in grade school and we climbed under our desks in case Ivan rained 9 hydrogen bombs on Omaha (like getting under your desk would help). Then there were Vietnam protests, 1968 convention, JFK, RFK, MLK, the coming ice age, no more gas, the Russians again, AIDS, global warming and so forth.

Love your friends, neighbors and family, do something good for society once in awhile, look on the bright side whenever possible, and don't spend more than a few minutes a day online or watching the news from any source.....you will be fine.

Remember the Serenity Prayer: Lord help me live at peace with the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

It does feel like all of our institutions and traditions are under attack by groups hell bent on destruction. It's a constant drumbeat of anger, envy and bitterness. It's hard to know where to even begin a discussion because regular people in society don't even know what the other side wants. It's like they're itching for a fight, some sort of anarchy. I too believe that the problems of our world are not financial. They are spiritual in nature. For those who believe, now is the time to pray like never before.

While I can certainly understand your agnst. I do not feel the same. During these difficult times I have grown even closer with my wife and have a heightened appreciation for family. I work in a hospital and couldn't be prouder of my colleagues and their tireless work ethic. I have renewed hope in the possibity of unity and respect for everyone regardless of their political views. I'm beyond elated with the encouraging vaccine news and praying that we can put this behind us. I believe in a future that while challenging, will be fantastic:)

Last edited:
IMHO there is something to this.

About 6 weeks ago, my youngest brother, who is 42, found out that my folks were voting for Trump. And he absolutely lost his shit. Not going to air family laundry, but he said and wrote things that you wouldn't say to your enemies.

As a family, we rarely, if ever, talked politics growing up. Just routine small talk type stuff mostly.

At any rate, as the meltdown was occurring, I asked to be removed from the text string which included my folks, myself, himself, and my sister, that was becoming increasingly vile.

He then turned on me. Asked me how I was voting. I told him that he doesn't need to be concerned with that and that I am not concerned with how he is voting, that has nothing to do with our relationship.

His response was the lynchpin:

"If you're not worried how Mom or Dad or I vote then you're a huge part of the problem and are what's wrong with the direction of this country".

Not going to air the fallout.

However, this is exactly what I'm seeing. Total binary thinking. On the right. On the left.

If you're not for us, you're against us. If you don't like Trump that means you like Biden and support Pelosi . If you don't like Biden you like Trump and love McConnell. If you're not demonstrating in the streets for cause X you are against us and are part of the problem -- the enemy.

I don't know if that's being taught in schools. I don't know if it's an effect of bring able to insulate yourself on social media with only like minded individuals. But it's a real problem.

Similar story in my family. Ideologies are tearing apart relationships.

I bought a boatload of shotgun shells. First time I've purchased any ammunition since 1997. No joke. Just always had the gun for some reason.

Just a side note, I no longer hunt (for my own reasons), and I'm not opposed to people that do. And own guns.

Really appreciate the feedback and anecdotes.. relationships also strained in my family as well.

Somehow, it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this and glad to have this forum to bounce ideas off of and get different perspectives.

IMHO, the propaganda spin that there 'could' be anarchy unfortunately has worked with the older population. To me it exposes those that have deep lasting vestiges of beliefs were prior to the 60's & 70's. I just don't get how or why people believe going into civil war is even a remote possibility? It's so absurd and sad that a very small segment of our population has been brainwashed to this degree.

An interesting take I encountered in the last week. I like the Far Side jokes and recently joined an on-line group where people post their favorites. There is a site monitor and you have to agree to keep the politics out of it. Nearly every one that is posted creates drama or downright hate from someone. Even the moderator commented that they had had enough and couldn't believe how so many people were offended by a cartoon joke.

I have two grown children. One I am sure voted for Biden, but I didn't ask. His big concern was Trump's "racism" issues. I also keep in contact with several former students who are now adults and cannot believe the number of sites they post stuff that is simply not factual at all or misleading at the most, and they think it is truth. I asked one if they really believer it and she said, she didn't know, she gets tons of that all day everyday and just throws "_ _ _ _" out there seeing what sticks.

Look the violence across our country. It is on the rise and I don't see it getting better. We have lost "love one another as I have loved you" command and it is showing in spades.

An interesting take I encountered in the last week. I like the Far Side jokes and recently joined an on-line group where people post their favorites. There is a site monitor and you have to agree to keep the politics out of it. Nearly every one that is posted creates drama or downright hate from someone. Even the moderator commented that they had had enough and couldn't believe how so many people were offended by a cartoon joke.

Sounds strangely familiar 🤣

IMHO, the propaganda spin that there 'could' be anarchy unfortunately has worked with the older population. To me it exposes those that have deep lasting vestiges of beliefs were prior to the 60's & 70's. I just don't get how or why people believe going into civil war is even a remote possibility? It's so absurd and sad that a very small segment of our population has been brainwashed to this degree.

You are putting blame on the "older population"? The ones who have generally worked hard and enjoyed a free society and are now seeing it threatened? These are the people you see out causing anarchy? Oh my, I hope I am reading your post incorrectly.

Get ready for the global economic reset. Look it up on any search engine but google. If you mention global reset on Facebook or Youtube you will be flagged. There's even articles on mainstream newsites (some have been taken down) about how great a global economic reset will be. You lose all your property, all your money, get no privacy, and that it will be paradise. Its an attempt to make communism look better.

I’m not being snarky, but don’t be afraid to seek out professional help if you are not able to manage. If you are constantly negative and see nothing but doom and gloom - the problem may very well be from within, not from without.

Reactions: zrob and Huskerpro
You are putting blame on the "older population"? The ones who have generally worked hard and enjoyed a free society and are now seeing it threatened? These are the people you see out causing anarchy? Oh my, I hope I am reading your post incorrectly.
They are not the ones that are causing the anarchy, they are the ones that believe the rhetoric that there is going to be all out anarchy. People who I love dearly-brother and stepfather-who think they need to hoard shells because someone/thing is coming to get them and take away the same liberties I enjoy. That the unknown someone/thing will target their liberties, guns, constitutional rights and not mine???

I admire and love the generations that have got us here to this point. That is what disappoints and saddens me the most. They are acting goofy because they have been misled when it comes to believing in current generation's motives. No boogey man is out there to destroy them.

What took you so long? Been going this way for quite some time. One main problem is that the air waves are filled with biased talking heads. Without CNN, Foxx News, MSNBC and Rush Limbaugh, this country would be a more tranquil place.

The problem has been escalated past that of social media, it is now mainstream. The unapologetic excessive level of vitriol is palpable, and has been for some time. It is everywhere, and has been embraced. The media is no longer anything more than talk shows hosting their favorite guests to fear monger and demagogue. Only those who are emotionally and spiritually stable are going to be able to really deal with it. I'm not hopeful that is a big % of this Country.

They are not the ones that are causing the anarchy, they are the ones that believe the rhetoric that there is going to be all out anarchy. People who I love dearly-brother and stepfather-who think they need to hoard shells because someone/thing is coming to get them and take away the same liberties I enjoy. That the unknown someone/thing will target their liberties, guns, constitutional rights and not mine???

I admire and love the generations that have got us here to this point. That is what disappoints and saddens me the most. They are acting goofy because they have been misled when it comes to believing in current generation's motives. No boogey man is out there to destroy them.

Not to take sides in our family but I side with them. Our rights and liberties are at stake and there are plans to adjust them - gun control is squarely in crosshairs (pun intended) along with everything else we cherish as Americans. This is not imagined, it is real.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and wkato
Feels a lot like 2008, when we were bracing for life under Sharia law, $7 per gallon gasoline, soaring inflation and a stock market so beaten down that the DJIA would surely never crawl back over 10,000.

If any of that shit had actually come to pass, I'd really be hiding the covers now. Instead, I'll just keep building a good life for myself and my family in the best country in the world, regardless of who lives in the White House.

Biased/slanted "news" media and social media are the scourge of our society and will, in large part, be what ultimately tears us down. There's too much disinformation and posturing that too many people are being subjected to/brainwashed by. The rise of political fringe groups such as Antifa and Black Lives Matter as well as all of the White Nationalists and their ilk will lead us to civil war. I always marveled at other countries who had protests/riots in their streets after elections of changes of power. Now that's us. How did we ever allow ourselves to get here? I feel badly for my grandkids.

The problem is, as long as the instability/riots/etc. don’t directly effect the politicians - nothing will change. As long as they get themselves re-elected, enjoy their privileges and money, and are insulated from the problems the rest of us face - they DO NOT care. Not even a little.

Feels a lot like 2008, when we were bracing for life under Sharia law, $7 per gallon gasoline, soaring inflation and a stock market so beaten down that the DJIA would surely never crawl back over 10,000.

If any of that shit had actually come to pass, I'd really be hiding the covers now. Instead, I'll just keep building a good life for myself and my family in the best country in the world, regardless of who lives in the White House.

No shit.

For 99% of us, nothing will change no matter who is President.

I have two grown children. One I am sure voted for Biden, but I didn't ask. His big concern was Trump's "racism" issues. I also keep in contact with several former students who are now adults and cannot believe the number of sites they post stuff that is simply not factual at all or misleading at the most, and they think it is truth. I asked one if they really believer it and she said, she didn't know, she gets tons of that all day everyday and just throws "_ _ _ _" out there seeing what sticks.

Look the violence across our country. It is on the rise and I don't see it getting better. We have lost "love one another as I have loved you" command and it is showing in spades.

c97.jpg

Reactions: arf_man

The run on guns and ammo is real - just try to walk into a store and see the bare shelves and you'll know instantly that you are far from alone in what you articulated in your post.

We are no further away from a dictatorship than a like-minded legislature, complicit judiciary and a friendly (to the executive office) media. The attack on the separation of powers is real and unfortunate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT