ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Heart Attack

Captain Nick

Sophomore
Jul 22, 2008
Had a full blown heart attack a couple months ago, while driving to work. (My heart stopped for about 45 minutes before they were able to get it going again.) I'm insanely lucky to be alive today.

With that said, has anybody gone through this and have any advice on going forward? I've been trying to eat healthier and exercise regularly (physical therapy). It's been a pretty big lifestyle change so far. So if you have any tips or advice my ears are open.

Great news that you got a second chance. I haven't experienced it myself but know others that have and know that you need to listen closely to your doctor and take it upon yourself to be health conscious from now. Best of luck to you and thank God for giving you a second chance.

Had a full blown heart attack a couple months ago, while driving to work. (My heart stopped for about 45 minutes before they were able to get it going again.) I'm insanely lucky to be alive today.

With that said, has anybody gone through this and have any advice on going forward? I've been trying to eat healthier and exercise regularly (physical therapy). It's been a pretty big lifestyle change so far. So if you have any tips or advice my ears are open.
Wow. Best wishes on a recovery. No advice. But a lot of people I've talked to have said heart attack was not necessarily related or tied to lifestyle. They tried to make huge lifestyle change and regretted it. Activity and excersise is a good thing

Reactions: Captain Nick

did it just stop or was there blockage?

Work hard on recovery but don't let one minute of life pass you by. Forget about what you used to do and charge forth harder and faster than ever, Before you know it this will be a far distant memory.
Motivational speaker?

Im no doctor but 45 mins seems like a very long time. Did you mean 4-5 minutes? Either way glad all is well. Im sure it was one of those life altering events. Hopefully for the better.

It's 90% hereditary but eat healthy and keep moving. Also I learned that they are now testing a ldl variant lipoprotein a which they have discovered has a high correlation make sure your doctor tests for this. They are currently doing drug trials if you test high in this area. They are now however learning you can be a health and fitness nut and drop dead due to cardiovascular disease. There are advances all the time just listen to your body and do not hesitate to get your tail to a hospital if you are have angina or other signs

did it just stop or was there blockage?
Both. But it was pretty sudden and unexpected. No real signs prior that made me think I was on the verge of having a major cardiac event. But I blame myself for not taking care of myself better.

Wow you are very lucky. My wife is an ICU nurse. I asked her the odds of survival for something like that. She said slim to none especially without brain damage. You had some higher power wanting you on earth yet.
I like to say that most of my brain damage was already there prior. ;) But mentally I feel like I did before. I was pretty lucky they got to me as fast as they did.

Both. But it was pretty sudden and unexpected. No real signs prior that made me think I was on the verge of having a major cardiac event. But I blame myself for not taking care of myself better.
Well not sure about the cardiac arrest but the blockage happens when a piece of plaque breaks loose and blocks the artery as son as the blood stops flowing your heart muscle begins to die so yes you are very lucky

If you smoke or dip chew, quit it nicotine makes your blood vessels shrink, anyway that what a cardiac nurse told us when my dad had one. My advice relax don’t let the little things stress you out no matter what your doing. If you haven’t see if you have a family history of heart trouble

If you smoke or dip chew, quit it nicotine makes your blood vessels shrink, anyway that what a cardiac nurse told us when my dad had one. My advice relax don’t let the little things stress you out no matter what your doing. If you haven’t see if you have a family history of heart trouble
I can second that. My dad jogged, biked, swam etc, great shape, but he smoked and stressed. Died of heart attack at 48.

Holy smokes- glad you made it! I was unnerved over a measly DVT and PE a few months ago. Just listen to doc, listen to your body and live every day like it's your last.:Cool:

Yes, and admittedly that has been the hardest thing to change.

Crazy. I'm sure there are tests that can be done to see if you're headed down that road, but I'm not sure how I would react if the doc told me I was at high risk. Lifestyle changes can be tough.

Didn't see any dead relatives, didn't see any childhood pets, don't remember floating above anything. Just woke up in the hospital five days later wondering how I got there.
Your first post said your heart stopped for 45 minutes, dam your lucky they didn’t call you doa. First thing I’d be doing is thanking the good Lord daily and in church, to those who are going to jump on this remember I said I would do. And secondly buy a freaking lottery or power ball tickets. Your pretty darn lucky so your luck might continue

Didn't see any dead relatives, didn't see any childhood pets, don't remember floating above anything. Just woke up in the hospital five days later wondering how I got there.
Just wow. I think I'll stop going to church.

Take care, OP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT