ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID-19 news. Out of over 3000 positive tests in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its kind of sad that we had to get to this point because civil disobedience is basically the last resort against tyranny before we have full on revolution. Anybody that thinks this is just about the last couple of months is missing the bigger picture: this has been brewing for years, the politicians just didn't realize the level of overreach they are guilty of.
Them founding fathers were real swell blue collar guys who worked for their british masters and had to give up all their hard earnings to the brits through unfair taxes...so other blue collar guys and them got together in some miltias and beat those british off and start a country that offerred freedom and the vote to all peoples, a country that would always stand for tolerance and freedom and the right to carry gun in case any body decided to take away their freedoms like them brits did.

Them founding fathers were real swell blue collar guys who worked for their british masters and had to give up all their hard earnings to the brits through unfair taxes...so other blue collar guys and them got together in some miltias and beat those british off and start a country that offerred freedom and the vote to all peoples, a country that would always stand for tolerance and freedom and the right to carry gun in case any body decided to take away their freedoms like them brits did.
images

Reactions: Crazyhole
And the tool is back.

can't risk a bunch of 18-22 year olds getting it while playing a violent and dangerous sport, though
These stories about 80, 90 or 100+ year-old people who recover from COVID-19 are heart-warming and all, but they give me a bit of heartburn. I'm not a lock-us-up-forever-or-we're-all-gonna-die guy - not by a long shot. But wherever you stand on this virus, I would hope everyone can see it's pretty damn devastating to people 80+ years old. I don't think the whole world needs to shut down to protect that segment of the population, but I do feel that's where the most extreme measures should be focused.

Last edited:
Fauci speaks

“The major message that I wish to convey to the Senate HLP committee tomorrow is the danger of trying to open the country prematurely,” Fauci wrote in an email to Times health policy reporter Sheryl Gay Stolberg.

“If we skip over the checkpoints in the guidelines to: ‘Open America Again,’ then we risk the danger of multiple outbreaks throughout the country. This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but would actually set us back on our quest to return to normal,” Fauci wrote

And more

“The official statistic, Dr. Fauci, is that 80,000 Americans have died from the pandemic,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said, referring to the current death toll. “There are some epidemiologists who suggest the number may be 50 percent higher than that. What do you think?”

“I’m not sure, Senator Sanders, if it’s going to be 50 percent higher,” Fauci replied. “But most of us feel that the number of deaths are likely higher than that number.”

The reason was straightforward. During the peak of the outbreak in New York City in particular, Fauci said, “there may have been people who died at home who did have covid, who are not counted as covid because they never really got to the hospital.” By now, the death toll in New York state is near 27,000.

“I think you are correct that the number is likely higher,” Fauci added. “I don’t know exactly what percent higher, but almost certainly it’s higher.”

More broadly, though, it’s always the case that the number of observed deaths is lower than the likely toll of an illness. Each year, for example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tracks the number of people who are confirmed to have died of the seasonal flu. It recognizes, though, that this misses some cases of flu-related deaths, so it also generates an estimate of the actual death toll from the flu. That estimate is always significantly higher than the observed number of deaths.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
I do know (like, for sure) that I don't cough or sneeze. Does it still apply?

You breath and talk in public, so yes. I’d imagine you probably also touch your face during your trip.

Coughing and sneezing aren’t the only ways the virus is projected from your body. And if you are asymptomatic you would be breathing the stuff all over everything for 2 weeks.

You breath and talk in public, so yes. I’d imagine you probably also touch your face during your trip.

Coughing and sneezing aren’t the only ways the virus is projected from your body. And if you are asymptomatic you would be breathing the stuff all over everything for 2 weeks.

maybe

So turns out........ Mack's wife had the corona.

Mid February. She substitute teaches. Week of Valentine's day and both weekends. Fever coming and going as high as 102. Sinuses stuffed up and sneezing, sneezing, sneezing. And cranky. Doc gave her some meds and said to let it run its course. My kids both had similar symptoms for a couple days and missed one day of school over the last weekend my wife had symptoms (One Friday, one Monday).

Mack spent a lot of time that week taking care of the wife and kids, unaware of the corona hazard. Mack never got any symptoms.

As this thing unfolded we wondered if it was this thing or something seasonal.

A couple weeks ago arcpoint labs in our area started offering COVID antibody testing. $170 up front and lab was 45 miles away. Pass. Then this week Quest offered it for $110 lab 6 miles away. OK. At least we would know.

Mrs. Mack went in yesterday AM. Blood draw, 5 minutes out the door. They said results would be back in 2-4 days but normally sooner. Results came back already this AM positive for the immune response.

So now we know. I'm certain the kids were exposed. Would bet that I had it, not sure that I could be in the same house with 3 infected people and not have been exposed. Am not going to take the test myself or for the kids unless there is some benefit to doing so.

And have a wife that was already cranky about wearing a mask now having to wear a mask even though she's already had it = double cranky.

Ohio confirms COVID cases from 5 separate counties in January.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...us-cases-miami-valley/6ft6p28Nl13zP2qV37vTcK/

None of these counties are bordering ours and are spread all through the state. It's been everywhere much longer than initially estimated.

If maybe, why risk it for others more vulnerable? You aren’t wearing the mask for yourself, and it’s estimated that wearing a mask will protect 99% of any particles leaving your mouth. It’s not that hard to wear a mask. Do you feel like it’s a violation of your liberties?

Plenty of anecdotal evidence for community spread through simply breathing and talking. This stuff also sits on surfaces for days.

Choir group in WA, had 60 attend. All washed hands prior to entering, they spaced everybody out a solid 6+ feet, didn’t hug, shake hands, etc. Took all the precautions they could, nobody had fever, or coughing sneezing. Older group. Something like 45 of them contracted COVID, and like 3-4 ended up dying. Also why people going to church through this are high out of their mind.

If maybe, why risk it for others more vulnerable? You aren’t wearing the mask for yourself, and it’s estimated that wearing a mask will protect 99% of any particles leaving your mouth. It’s not that hard to wear a mask. Do you feel like it’s a violation of your liberties?

Plenty of anecdotal evidence for community spread through simply breathing and talking. This stuff also sits on surfaces for days.

Choir group in WA, had 60 attend. All washed hands prior to entering, they spaced everybody out a solid 6+ feet, didn’t hug, shake hands, etc. Took all the precautions they could, nobody had fever, or coughing sneezing. Older group. Something like 45 of them contracted COVID, and like 3-4 ended up dying. Also why people going to church through this are high out of their mind.
Just a bunch of Karens and snowflakes who don’t want to be inconvenienced. If they were truly concerned about the economy and small businesses, they would gladly do their part to wear masks etc to help out.

I guess I just really didn't think about it at the time. Definitely not protesting anything.

Reactions: dsmalls3
Fauci speaks

“The major message that I wish to convey to the Senate HLP committee tomorrow is the danger of trying to open the country prematurely,” Fauci wrote in an email to Times health policy reporter Sheryl Gay Stolberg.

“If we skip over the checkpoints in the guidelines to: ‘Open America Again,’ then we risk the danger of multiple outbreaks throughout the country. This will not only result in needless suffering and death, but would actually set us back on our quest to return to normal,” Fauci wrote

And more

“The official statistic, Dr. Fauci, is that 80,000 Americans have died from the pandemic,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said, referring to the current death toll. “There are some epidemiologists who suggest the number may be 50 percent higher than that. What do you think?”

“I’m not sure, Senator Sanders, if it’s going to be 50 percent higher,” Fauci replied. “But most of us feel that the number of deaths are likely higher than that number.”

The reason was straightforward. During the peak of the outbreak in New York City in particular, Fauci said, “there may have been people who died at home who did have covid, who are not counted as covid because they never really got to the hospital.” By now, the death toll in New York state is near 27,000.

“I think you are correct that the number is likely higher,” Fauci added. “I don’t know exactly what percent higher, but almost certainly it’s higher.”

More broadly, though, it’s always the case that the number of observed deaths is lower than the likely toll of an illness. Each year, for example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tracks the number of people who are confirmed to have died of the seasonal flu. It recognizes, though, that this misses some cases of flu-related deaths, so it also generates an estimate of the actual death toll from the flu. That estimate is always significantly higher than the observed number of deaths.
And yet when they talk about deaths the very city that supposedly was following Fauci's and the CDC's recommendations got hammered the worst. Unfortunately Fauci has assumed complete ownership of his and the CDC's guidelines as if they are gospel truth and are somehow going to save tens of thousands of lives. In the LONG run that likely isn't going to happen. There's not much evidence to suggest that they are working when over two thirds of new cases in New York City were people who "stayed at home". You might delay deaths but ultimately you're not going to save many total lives.

Granted a lot of the deaths were due to their utter stupidity for making nursing homes accept COVID-19 patients. In Pennsylvania over two thirds of their deaths were in nursing homes. Governors on the east coast in particular really screwed the pooch on this deal. Their stupidity was amazing.

At this point I think the American people are smart enough to be skeptical of any numbers suggested by the CDC and Fauci given the facts as we know them today. The term "crying wolf" comes to mind. We succeeded in the original premise of the measures that we took. Time to declare some degree of victory and move forward.

Last edited:
You really think we will have an approved vaccine within 4 months?
No way 4 months. IF we follow all of the trials, as Hoosker says they will, the trials take longer than that let alone sorting through the data from the trials and getting the government to approve it. Several companies already have a vaccine that has produced what appears to be a protective antibody response in primates. The human trials will take much longer considering that they require a booster immunization at 30 days post initial injection.

IMO, IF I were a nursing home resident I would volunteer to by a study subject for a new vaccine. THAT will be the true test if we can protect the elderly with a vaccine. This is an extraordinary circumstance and we need to take extraordinary measures including IMO expedited large scale trials in at risk populations. JMHO. Go in to nursing homes with COVID problems already and start immunizing the patients. They don't have much to lose.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
These stories about 80, 90 or 100+ year-old people who recover from COVID-19 are heart-warming and all, but they give me a bit of heartburn. I'm not a lock-us-up-forever-or-we're-all-gonna-die guy - not by a long shot. But wherever you stand on this virus, I would hope everyone can see it's pretty damn devastating to people 80+ years old. I don't think the whole world needs to shut down to protect that segment of the population, but I do feel that's where the most extreme measures should be focused.

And here's another in a long list of examples that protecting the most vulnerable never really seemed to be the goal. Article says 2/3 of PA deaths were from nursing homes.

And yet when they talk about deaths the very city that supposedly was following Fauci's and the CDC's recommendations got hammered the worst. Unfortunately Fauci has assumed complete ownership of his and the CDC's guidelines as if they are gospel truth and are somehow going to save tens of thousands of lives. In the LONG run that likely isn't going to happen. There's not much evidence to suggest that they are working when over two thirds of new cases in New York City were people who "stayed at home". You might delay deaths but ultimately you're not going to save many total lives.

Granted a lot of the deaths were due to their utter stupidity for making nursing homes accept COVID-19 patients. In Pennsylvania over two thirds of their deaths were in nursing homes. Governors on the east coast in particular really screwed the pooch on this deal. Their stupidity was amazing.

At this point I think the American people are smart enough to be skeptical of any numbers suggested by the CDC and Fauci given the facts as we know them today. The term "crying wolf" comes to mind. We succeeded in the original premise of the measures that we took. Time to declare some degree of victory and move forward.

I heard that President Trump say that he saved millions of lives and America is victorous and the stock market is goin great so I think a vaccine is just Clinton/China/Gates/BigPharma BS and we don't need it. I mean I am willin to die for the stock market but I worry for them bank and card companies because they might lose some money next season...will I be remmbered for my sacrifice to keep the businesses going so americans can keep their debt.

CDC All cause death data. Week 17 has 99.9% reported, so it should be fairly close. Week 18 only has 46.2% so it has no meaning.

April 2020 looking a lot like the bad flu season of January 2018.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EX52jk4WkAUsnDW?format=png&name=4096x4096

Back to using inaccurate and incomplete data I see...

Whoever made that doesn't understand the data, the % reported is based on how many reports were expected based off prior years, had nothing to do with how many will die, and certainly isn't a complete number or a % "reported"

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

Since that chart was made, there have been 1,304 more deaths added to week 15, 3,317 more deaths added to week 16, 9,087 more to week 17, 18,528 to week 18, and 15,638 for week 19.

If we're keeping score, that means he's missing 47,874 deaths at a minimum (even March numbers have changed a bit).

From March 15th through April 25th, the CDC reports 48,422 COVID-19 deaths, worldometers.info shows 53,882 for the same period, mostly because of 1,800 ish different in week 18 and 5,200 different in week 19. For the same period we show 320,989 deaths (with quite a few from weeks 18 and 19 still to be reported) which is already 16% above the seasonal expectation.

That is despite the most extreme measures to combat the virus spread in modern times.

For the 5 week period, we are tracking to be 20-25% above the expected deaths for the season.

In more simple terms, looking back over the prior 5 January-May windows, we will likely have the #1, 2 and 4 highest # of deaths over those time frames within a 5 week period.

Trying to call it a "bad" flu season, just shows stupidity and lack of simple reasoning.

Reactions: HuskersNC

Whoever made that doesn't understand the data, the % reported is based on how many reports were expected based off prior years, had nothing to do with how many will die, and certainly isn't a complete number or a % "reported"

Since that chart was made, there have been 1,304 more deaths added to week 15, 3,317 more deaths added to week 16, 9,087 more to week 17, 18,528 to week 18, and 15,638 for week 19.

If we're keeping score, that means he's missing 47,874 deaths at a minimum (even March numbers have changed a bit).

From March 15th through April 25th, the CDC reports 48,422 COVID-19 deaths, worldometers.info shows 53,882 for the same period, mostly because of 1,800 ish different in week 18 and 5,200 different in week 19. For the same period we show 320,989 deaths (with quite a few from weeks 18 and 19 still to be reported) which is already 16% above the seasonal expectation.

That is despite the most extreme measures to combat the virus spread in modern times.

For the 5 week period, we are tracking to be 20-25% above the expected deaths for the season.

In more simple terms, looking back over the prior 5 January-May windows, we will likely have the #1, 2 and 4 highest # of deaths over those time frames within a 5 week period.

Trying to call it a "bad" flu season, just shows stupidity and lack of simple reasoning.

Most of that 20-25% is being driven by the New York New Jersey area. Most states are at or below expected deaths.

Absolutely, but that isn’t a bad thing at all.
Maybe not, unless you start the consider the long term impact measured in years of potential life lost. For instance, it is documented that those that have a college degree live longer than those without, which is important to consider with colleges are facing closures and students are dropping out. Also, there are studies showing that those who graduate into a depressed or slow economy not only make less in lifetime earnings but have a shorter life expectancy. When talking about shutting down the economy it is more than just a concern about big business, or putting money in the wealthy's pocket or even going to the bar to have a beer and a burger.

No matter what time period we look at, nothing will adjust the death toll caused by the buffoonery of the governors of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Somewhere along the line Fauci forgot to issue guidance for the most vulnerable of all. Nursing homes. NOW the CDC is "looking at best practices" for nursing homes. I find it ironic that while they locked down whole cities, they sent COVID-19 positive patients to nursing homes at a time when my rural very low incidence state was locking down nursing homes, doing temperatue checks on all employees and home quarantining all employees.

Context matters. In many ways, without the nursing home deaths on the east coast and Washington caused in large part by governmental stupidity, this would be epidemiologically very similar to a very bad flu season. I will remind you that the Spanish flu killed approximately 675,000 people in the U.S. Worldometer has us at a projection of roughly 140,000 by fall. I predict over all that we'll be less than 350,000 total and probably much less.

Ironic isn't it that the most at risk many of whom lived through multiple wars losing multiple family members and friends and who are in the last years of their life would gladly give up their life for their grandchildrens' sake. Granted thousands already made that sacrifice for their moronic governors on the east coast. Meanwhile some want to completely bankrupt our country to advance their own political interests.:rolleyes:

Ironic isn't it that the most at risk many of whom lived through multiple wars losing multiple family members and friends and who are in the last years of their life would gladly give up their life for their grandchildrens' sake. Granted thousands already made that sacrifice for their moronic governors on the east coast. Meanwhile some want to completely bankrupt our country to advance their own political interests.:rolleyes:
thank-a-boomer.png

EI89vrrX0AApfXj.png

45e2b0a7bf.png

I aint have no pa, he took to the drink but...
I thank my mums everyday...her uncles were stationed in the pacific, and as an 8 year old she help fight them chinese at Chosin.

Last edited:

Who wants to “bankrupt our economy”? Who is willing to die so someone can go sit in a restaurant? My parents sure as hell aren’t ready to die over this and I imagine most others aren’t either.

Reactions: GILL T

The lawyer said to my ma that she could take some of that security money now, take more now, cuz all she have is 300 acre of land and money from granddy to keep her up, or she coulda take a bit less and leave some for her two chillin and grand-chillin but she took the money now. THank god cuz her new lawn mower cost her 5000 uncle sam dollars. Granddaddy left me some money too, 10 score and times 5, except momma said she have to use to builda her house...I said ok cuz I love my momma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT