OT: COVID-19 news. Out of over 3000 positive tests in prison

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by dinglefritz, Apr 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

What was his preexisting health problem that contributed to his problem? Did they disclose his diabetes or HIV infection? Was he an IV drug abuser? You've got no idea what was going on with him but your ilk is more than happy to make a poster child out of him. The latest talking point is kids with Kawasaki Syndrome. Guess what. Hundreds if not thousands of kids develop Kawasaki's from seemingly innocuous infections every year such as the common cold or strep. Young healthy people without an underlying health problem aren't dying from COVID-19. That is the word being sent down from the CDC to the M.D. that I sleep with.

1081 dinglefritz, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. JoelBittner

JoelBittner Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Uhhhhmmm, I think you're arguing with someone who technically agrees with you. Modern virology and mass communication is worlds better than 1918. But IMO, killing off 5% of the world's population (which happened with the spanish flu) would be a good thing.
    First: It will save us from the global warming Armageddon by reducing the number of people exhaling CO2.
    Second: Allow for more biodiversity by freeing up some real-estate
    Third: Cull the weaklings from the heard resulting in a race of
    Übermensch

[​IMG]

leodisflowers likes this.
  3. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

I haven't seen anybody say this is "like a normal flu season". I've seen this is like a bad flu season which would technically be accurate. I agree this isn't like the average seasonal flu. BTW, did SoFLHusker get a vacation or is he on a ventilator? IF we had a vaccine for this, this would be less significant than the flu IMO just due to the fact that generally mammalian CVs don't have near the rapid antigenic drift that influenza does. Epidemiologically it will be interesting to see what kind of staying power this one has and if it becomes endemic. I've been saying since the beginning of this deal that more than likely we'll all be getting CV vaccine every year just like the flu vaccine. It was actually kind of odd for a CV the way SARS died out.

4. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Don't forget all the methane reduction we would get by killing off 5% of the world's population. Did you realize that the average vegetarian gives off over 50% more methane than a meat eating human? I calculated the amount of methane given off by a human a year or so ago. It's shocking. The 350 million people in the U.S give off WAY more methane than the cattle do. Supposedly vegetarians are dying at a higher rate than non-vegetarians from COVID-19. There's yer sign.

OzzyLvr, Crazyhole and RedMyMind like this.
  5. jmliehr

jmliehr First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Man, there is random stuff that happens with all viruses, you know that. NVSS numbers, despite being laggy, already show COVID is more deadly for anyone 15 and up than this flu season was.

The CDC is worried enough to put out a warning for kids who had COVID (even if mild) and then present with complications later.

Like the flu, most people without underlying issues won’t die from a virus. But that doesn’t mean that we aren’t concerned, especially when 30-40% of the US population has one or more risk factors (Obesity, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma) that are demonstrated to have higher risk of COVID complications.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/05/14/covid19inflammatory051420

6. JoelBittner

JoelBittner Walk On
    Expand Collapse

This is actually a good argument for fighting against lethargy, more so than a good argument for destroying 240 years of nation-building.

OzzyLvr likes this.
  7. JoelBittner

JoelBittner Walk On
    Expand Collapse

You do realize that someone is going to attack you as a racist for being a fan of Bill Engvall

8. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Take those numbers on risk factors with a grain of salt. There's a wide range of degrees of all of those things and the threshold is pretty low for a couple of those. Once they get entered in the computer, they're there for your entire life now. It's ridiculous how little it takes to get labeled as obese by the government or your insurer and I guarantee you that a large percentage of people carrying an extra 20-30 lbs of weight are not at any higher risk than the rest of us. About 6-7 years ago at a muscular 6' and 165lbs I was told by my insurers nurse that I was considered obese.:confused:

9. jmliehr

jmliehr First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Yort2000 has repeatedly tried to compare deaths to recent flu seasons, however looking back he/she did call it bad, not normal, so I do stand corrected.

And I still hold out hope that this one dies like SARS, personally debating getting my kid the antibody test. Went to NYC around XMAS and my kid had 103+ fever and was flu/strep negative the first week of January. A nasty respiratory bug went around the office around the same time, with a coworker ending up in the ICU with an unknown respiratory bug at the time. Multiple people had persistent 3-6 week dry coughs in the office, including myself throughout January and February also. Who knows?

John_J_Rambo likes this.
  10. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

I've already brought up Kawasaki's Syndrome in an earlier response to SBH. It's the best new way for the media to grab everybody's attention and lobby for keeping the kids home from school. This syndrome affects hundreds if not thousands of kids every year and is thought to be caused by an immune response to any number of infectious agents. Generally pediatricians recognize it immediately when they see it and treat it appropriately. It is not surprising that we're seeing it in response to infection with COVID-19. Even given the number of kids experiencing it in New York City, it is not a common sequela.

11. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

I think this one is past dying off like SARs did. I do like the worldometer predictions for a pretty flat curve that slopes off to virtually zero by August 1st. I think that is overly optimistic but it lends some optimism to an onslaught of doom and gloom by multiple news outlets that IMO are using this pandemic to drive ratings and a political agenda.

12. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

I keep reading this post and have to go back and comment on something else that I glossed over. You do realize that the group "people 15 and up" contain a LARGE number of people and kids with some horrible predisposing factors including cystic fibrosis, severe asthma, cancers/chemotherapy, juvenile diabetes, etc etc etc. There's not much you can do to reduce their risk other than to put them in a bubble. The lockdown didn't really significantly reduce their risk according to New York's numbers. The key for people with preexisting conditions is a vaccine. For healthy young people less than 50, the mortality risk is extremely low.

13. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Folks, you aren't winning this flu virus being more dangerous than Covid-19 argument, so stop already.

You're also not going to revise history by trying to minimize this virus. That's why this administration looks foolish to begin with...because they tried to minimize Covid-19 from the outset, and have killed thousands as a result.

14. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Bullshit. This administration didn't kill anybody. The governors of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania on the other hand could be accused of that for requiring nursing homes to accept COVID-19 positive patients. The health director for the state of Pennsylvania (a good Dem), took her own mom out of the nursing home when she directed them to accept COVID-19. You better go look again at where the majority of deaths have occurred and the actions of those state's leaders before you go around laying blame.

OzzyLvr, BigredN, WHCSC and 3 others like this.
  15. BigBL87

BigBL87 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

I've heard estimates that anywhere from 40-60% of deaths are from nursing homes/assisted living facilities. That's been my biggest worry, as my grandfather is in a nursing home in Omaha. We were going to visit in April but had to cancel our trip out to Nebraska due to the outbreak.

OzzyLvr and dinglefritz like this.
  16. red scowl

red scowl Senior
    Expand Collapse

I am unsure of your argument. This not the great plague, but it is greater than the flu. I think the reaction has been greater than the virus. I look forward too extensive testing because I believe your feelz will be hurt. I'm sure you will talk about social distancing and will forget Cuomo and Pelosi in your self righteous diatribe. But, this isn't what you wished it to be.

17. Hoosker Du

Expand Collapse

See if you can put that in English next time. The reader generally enjoys the experience much more.

18. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

You've finally done it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1098 Solana Beach Husker, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  19. red scowl

red scowl Senior
    Expand Collapse

It's ok bro. Your hysterics were unnecessary and wrong. Be a man and admit it. I enjoyed reading your posts because I already knew you were wrong.

You and a few others went bat-shit crazy, even when nothing was known. Then you doubled down as the models showed less deaths. Now, you refuse to accept your lapse or maybe your regular poor judgement.

Actually think for yourself. You will be able to understand my posts, and you won't seem like such a douche.

John_J_Rambo and NorthwoodHusker like this.
  20. leodisflowers

leodisflowers Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Take a Lap!

John_J_Rambo and NorthwoodHusker like this.
  21. rcnut223

rcnut223 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I can guess how you are voting this fall then.

22. WHCSC

WHCSC Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

What fair and balanced publication did you copy and paste that crap from?

23. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Hmm. Well I seem to remember hearing that between 2.2 and 9 million Americans were going to die from this, so I would say that Trump actually saved millions of lives with his response.

24. NorthwoodHusker

NorthwoodHusker Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Even if its well over a hundred million, it still wouldnt catch the spanish flu.
    Theres over three times as many people today.

25. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

26. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Meanwhile,cancer is slowly being cured, in the same media light.
    As the media sensationalizes, people aren't screening, and therefore,cancer is way down.

I hate our media today. How many thousands will die from cancer because of this, mean while, I suspect there are some hoping they get the wuhan too,so they can claim it instead of the cancer.

I hate the media.

OzzyLvr and Crazyhole like this.
  27. otismotis08

otismotis08 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Steer clear of the media at all costs. Just pay attention to true news headlines (facts only). Do your own research on topics that interest you and reach your own conclusions. Vote with your brain, not your facebook friends.

and GBR!

28. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

If there's one thing, it's this
    https://www.foxnews.com/science/cov...rmaceutical-coronavirus-antibody-breakthrough
    They arent perfect, but as good as it gets nowadays, as old 'debunked' stories of theirs are now fact.
    Too bad there's no competition, so much capability lost.

From my link
    We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

OzzyLvr likes this.
  29. Hoosker Du

Expand Collapse

Clearly you haven't been paying attention. Not one of the states has fulfilled the White House's own guidelines to be opening back up, but don't let that 'small' detail get in the way. Dumb is no way to go through life.

And now this virus will blossom again, and we'll be right back where we started. But we've come to expect that from this administration. Failure at every step of handling this.

30. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

https://rt.live/
    Just look at this.
    No more guidelines this or that, just look

otismotis08 likes this.
  31. WHCSC

WHCSC Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

How is the states opening up against the White House guidelines an failure by this administration?

NorthwoodHusker likes this.
  32. Hoosker Du

Expand Collapse

Conservatives are so completely out of touch with reality on the handling of this virus. I provide you with the proof...right in front of your eyes, and you still don't believe it. It would be hilarious, is it weren't so sad that so many are dying that didn't have to.

33. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Because,I wont say it.
    I believe we have a cure coming, look for tomorrow's news, honest, then the blowhards lose any pol leverage they thought they had. Ignoring common sense as usual along the way.

OzzyLvr likes this.
  34. otismotis08

otismotis08 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Fearful living is not living.

35. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Hey @Crazyhole , you're too conservative lolol

JoelBittner and Crazyhole like this.
  36. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

I think we have a cure come august

37. HuskerTilDeath

HuskerTilDeath Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

It seems like you have difficulty separating the two. There's a reality in being able to criticize the administration's response, but there's also a reality in reviewing data and understanding that the virus isnt as bad as originally thought. Worse than the flu, no question. But you've seemed to pivot to openly rooting for the virus because of your disdain for Trump.

38. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

STI 1499
    The cure

39. leodisflowers

leodisflowers Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Well said.

40. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

I suspect it is two or three times worse than a bad flu, and just as contagious. Low pandemic, but only because of its newness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.