ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID-19 news. Out of over 3000 positive tests in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
I think it's neither good nor bad. It just adds credence to the idea that the virus is much more widespread than anybody thought a month or two ago. It is also obvious that when you consider all of the undiagnosed asymptomatic cases that it's mortality rate is not anywhere near what was reported for the first few months.

I think it's neither good nor bad. It just adds credence to the idea that the virus is much more widespread than anybody thought a month or two ago. It is also obvious that when you consider all of the undiagnosed asymptomatic cases that it's mortality rate is not anywhere near what was reported for the first few months.
Link?

It's a Reuters story. Google it. I don't open links nor post them on here.
I found this one
https://nypost.com/2020/04/20/more-than-1800-inmates-test-positive-for-coronavirus-at-ohio-prison/
This was 1800 of 2500, plus 100 corrections officers
Stories five days old, at the time, 38 in hospital

If you crunch the numbers, around a fiftieth had bad symptoms, similar to our testing.
So, those serology test numbers seem to hold up here too.
Fifty no symptoms,or serious symptoms, one bad symptoms.

Of that, half likely over sixty in bad health.

So a 1% chance if you're over sixty with morbidities. Thats high, but it includes everyone older than you, which is a greater chance as well for them, of that 1%.

So, for those around sixty, 0.25%, or one in four hundred in that age group with livable morbidities

Last edited:
inmates, over 96% of them had no symptoms.
Side note to all of this: I'm sure some have heard about the discovery that a lot more people may have had COVID 19 in California than previously thought because of the presence of antibodies. But now experts are wondering if they are false positives caused by the presence of other coronavirus antibodies, e.g. from people having the "common cold."

Side note to all of this: I'm sure some have heard about the discovery that a lot more people may have had COVID 19 in California than previously thought because of the presence of antibodies. But now experts are wondering if they are false positives caused by the presence of other coronavirus antibodies, e.g. from people having the "common cold."
That's only for certain tests, theyveworked that out in the testing stage, so much of that is old news.

Any fda approved tests will have false positives knocked way down.
Someone took a story aboutwhatthese early tests whilethey were testingthem, that using certain proteins couldn't be used because of this, they had tobe more specific, first test creations wrre just ballpark tests.

So, there's truth and lies in those stories,

Reactions: bluenrg
Those Cali tests are not really old news at all. And news flash, prison population is pretty enclosed system and ideal for breakout. Not at all representative of overall population. And still no proof that covid19 immunity lasts, etc. Let science play out.

And news flash, prison population is pretty enclosed system and ideal for breakout.

Tell me about it. Eek

Our facility shut down for two weeks after 2 officers tested positive with 2-3 more assumed cases they didn't bother testing. Luckily, we're a small juvenile facility and they had pared our population down so it wasn't a complicated thing to do. Lucky me, I took vacation the week leading up to it so I got 3 weeks off, paid thank God.

I wish antibody testing was more available. My son (2 years old) got sick with a bad cough and high fever in late March/early April, just under 2 weeks before my first coworker tested positive. Fever got up to 103.1, but we were told by the ER to keep him at home as long as it didn't get higher. He has asthma so we were treating with him with albuterol every 4 hours around the clock to get him through. We called his pulmonologists office, and the subtext from them was that they thought he had it but obviously couldn't say that.

My wife and I never got sick, which is odd because my wife catches any respiratory thing that goes around and we didn't exactly quarantine our son. Another coworker had similar symptoms before my son did, but she was early enough (mid March) that testing was barely available so she was never tested. I'm pretty convinced my wife and I were asymptomatic unlike my son. But, no antibody tests are readily available around here so we'll probably never know.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Those Cali tests are not really old news at all. And news flash, prison population is pretty enclosed system and ideal for breakout. Not at all representative of overall population. And still no proof that covid19 immunity lasts, etc. Let science play out.
So, we ignore the new york tests?
The princess cruise ship?
Our naval ship?
New york state?
There'll be more and more.
And, more and more, it's looking like 50to 1 people with little to no symptoms.

Now, that 2% is nothing to sneeze at, with 3/4s of them 60 and older, but that looks like where we're heading understanding wuhan infections

Reactions: bluenrg and OzzyLvr
Tell me about it. Eek

Our facility shut down for two weeks after 2 officers tested positive with 2-3 more assumed cases they didn't bother testing. Luckily, we're a small juvenile facility and they had pared our population down so it wasn't a complicated thing to do. Lucky me, I took vacation the week leading up to it so I got 3 weeks off, paid thank God.

I wish antibody testing was more available. My son (2 years old) got sick with a bad cough and high fever in late March/early April, just under 2 weeks before my first coworker tested positive. Fever got up to 103.1, but we were told by the ER to keep him at home as long as it didn't get higher. He has asthma so we were treating with him with albuterol every 4 hours around the clock to get him through. We called his pulmonologists office, and the subtext from them was that they thought he had it but obviously couldn't say that.

My wife and I never got sick, which is odd because my wife catches any respiratory thing that goes around and we didn't exactly quarantine our son. Another coworker had similar symptoms before my son did, but she was early enough (mid March) that testing was barely available so she was never tested. I'm pretty convinced my wife and I were asymptomatic unlike my son. But, no antibody tests are readily available around here so we'll probably never know.
You can buy one.
30$ a whack though.
FDA approved
https://thermogenesis.com/app/uploads/2020/04/ThermoGenesis-Rapid-PoC-COVID-Ig-Test.pdf

That’s the key!! If the mortality rate is .03%- why the hell did we ruin the economy? F#^k China!

Tell me about it. Eek

Your son sounds kinda like my granddaughter. She got hit like someone turned on a lightswitch. High fever for a couple days and NOTHING would really break it. My daughter called into the hospital and they said don't get concerned until or unless it got to 104. I thought, holy cow!!

Well eventually got better. I'm convinced in my mind that it was probably the China virus. Especially since my daughter had what the doctor thought was pneumonia a month earlier.....hmmmm

Reactions: bluenrg
I've eaten tons of bat soup in my life so I'm pretty sure I've built immunity.

One of the biggest issues is that COVID-19 is also the name of a pretty tough gang with roots in Mexico and Southwest US...so...I mean...imagine the confusion.

I don't worry, those denying early tests are being deceived. There will be hundreds od such tests involving millions of people.
Better get your denying in now, because most won't forget if it's cost them their livelihood.
Deniers will have to face this.
I'm not worried.

I don't worry, those denying early tests are being deceived. There will be hundreds od such tests involving millions of people.
Better get your denying in now, because most won't forget if it's cost them their livelihood.
I'm not worried.
Ok boomer

"So, we ignore the new york tests?
The princess cruise ship?
Our naval ship?
New york state?
There'll be more and more.
And, more and more, it's looking like 50to 1 people with little to no symptoms.

Now, that 2% is nothing to sneeze at, with 3/4s of them 60 and older, but that looks like where we're heading understanding wuhan infections"

"I don't worry, those denying early tests are being deceived. There will be hundreds od such tests involving millions of people.
I'm not worried"

Who's denying tests? It's important that they are interpreted correctly if we are to learn anything from them and proceed with an effective strategy. "Naval ship" and "cruise ship" are closed environments and don't represent an overall population. That just leaves the "new york tests" and ummm, well "New york state" I guess. What's the methodology and the effectiveness of those tests? New York was a hot spot with the infected overwhelming some hospitals and nowhere near enough test kits to go around. Of course it is expected that there are more infected there than reported. But by how much? You have no basis to conclude 50 to 1 at this point. If the California studies were accurate, than the mortality rate is around 0.15% and 76% of New Yorkers have already been infected. Basically, the math is trash. The study looked at 3000 people shopping, again not a very representative population, but using those numbers they said 14% of New Yorkers were infected, which brings the mortality rate to 0.8%, still much more deadly than the flu. Who knows if the tests were even certified and what would those numbers look like if they had used a more representative population of those going out, those staying sheltered, various age groups, ethniticity, etc. And this is just one study. Other tests elsewhere have shown much lower infection rates.

I guarantee that no one wants this over and back to normal more than me. But we aren't going to get there with jibberish posting, incorrect math and a lack of scientific understanding. Weren't you the one calling hydroxychloroquine deniers retroconning berserkers? And now it has shown to be ineffective and even a dangerous treatment option. Aren't you still clinging to the 50:1 numbers that many experts have concluded are nonsense? You also seem to think that having a positive antibody = total immunity. No one knows if that is true or not. Based off of past coronaviruses, it's probable that some immunity is conferred, but how much and for how long? More studies and testing are going to be needed before we have any real idea. It will probably be about two years before a vaccine can be rolled out. Better get used to some level of social distancing during this period. Can we do that and get back to some level of normal? I think so, but we have to be smart about how we do it or else it will become a hot mess in a hurry. And then more people will die and more businesses will fail, etc etc. Are you going to accept responsibility for that? Doubt it. But maybe you can let us know how to solve the next crisis when the time comes.

Your last statements are laughable. And it's not the first time you've made these sort of vague threats. Maybe you should take a break from COVID19 threads for a while and get some professional help if you are struggling.

Hydroxychloroquine has not been deemed ineffective an unsafe. One study out of many that involved only critical care patients who were likely to die no matter what showed no improved outcomes. Others like this one showed that it can be beneficial: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...tbjYyIjffUsvmJhzP6dV67cwHFvS8P8sCa1Tdmw9Iga98.
The mass media has such hatred for Trump that even people like my wife who has gone from middle of the road Democrat to middle of the road Republican in the last 10 years are stunned by it. We believe it's because of his 1) prior suppor of the birther movement 2) defeat of the first would-be female president Hillary 3) lack of political-speak in favor of directness. While most conservatives care mainly about the economy and freedoms (gun laws, etc), Democrats (which are 99% of the media) are entirely about identity politics. Opposing the first black president or female president is an unforgivable sin and he must be destroyed. I feel like there is an obsession now with finding any and all things to attack him on and it's making the news no better than Pravda or other poliically driven media.
So get the facts through research and absolutely do not listen to a major media source. The data is out there.

Tell me about it. Eek

That’s a tough situation to be in and no easy solution about what to do with prison or juvenile facilities. We can’t just send them all home to self-quarantine obviously. Best of luck

I tend to agree with this. Does social distancing/shelter-in-place work? Probably. Is it the #1 reason some places seem to have gotten this under control more than others? Probably not.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That’s the key!! If the mortality rate is .03%- why the hell did we ruin the economy? F#^k China!
Because it is much more prudent to go with a known rate (deaths from C19 vs. known cases) than to guess.

anyone with a brain + experts: this has been around a lot longer than we originally thought, and the spread must be higher than just those who've tested positive. we should take this into account.

@Nebraska_Reality:
rMtPbA.gif

Not showing symptoms is great for the average person. It's horrible for people at risk of dying from the disease because it means that people who have it and could transmit it have no idea they're carrying a virus that can kill somebody.

The longer this goes on the more I start to think that "back to normal" will be when a lot of the most vulnerable people have already been hospitalized and/or killed by this thing. It's a scary and powerless feeling.

Reactions: WHCSC
F*+k China, shows how little they care, lying commies
Lied, covered up, still covering up. Infected the world. Crippled the economy. Hoarded all the PPE and are now price gouging. The world sees this. They will pay. One way or another. Same for the W.H.O. And the fact the liberal media doesn't report this is sickening. They would rather blame Trump for everything. You can't deny this is all on China. Report the facts snowflakes!!

Last edited:
inmates, over 96% of them had no symptoms.
This is probably a good thing. It also supports other small studies and early antibody tests that suggest most people who get this are having mild to no symptoms. This also means that it isn't as scary as the media and many have been making it was.
My opinion, its a new virus that is very very contagious. This I think is what has caused the world wide panic and lock downs. Early on people and governments were seeing the amount of deaths and assuming it had a very high mortality rate based on limited testing and only the very very sick getting tests. In reality millions more had it with no symptoms or at least not enough to warrant getting tested. This is now driving the death rate to at or even below flu levels.
Precaution needs to be taken for how easily it is spread, but does the whole US and world need to be shut down? Probably not.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Not showing symptoms is great for the average person. It's horrible for people at risk of dying from the disease because it means that people who have it and could transmit it have no idea they're carrying a virus that can kill somebody.

The longer this goes on the more I start to think that "back to normal" will be when a lot of the most vulnerable people have already been hospitalized and/or killed by this thing. It's a scary and powerless feeling.
I agree, while the death rate is dropping the infection rate is skyrocketing. Good that it isn't as deadly. Bad at how easily and quickly it can be spread.
On a bad year the flu infects 10% of the population. Which would be 34 million people. Early estimates for the anti body test suggest this could be 50- 80 times more infectious that the numbers are saying. Which would be about 50-80 million infected in the US. We may see 80-90% of the population infected with this before it is all said and done. Even with a low death rate that is still a ton of people dead.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT