ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Bourbon drinkers?

Getting Eagle Rare has been impossible to purchase, that’s why I will only sip on it on rare occasions like when Nebraska winning a Football or Basketball game.Laughing

Wow....sucks my friend. Eagle Rare is pretty easy for me to get. I usually bypass it and try other varieties.

Reactions: headcard
If you go Four Roses...always get the single barrel. Significant improvement over the other varieties. And it’s excellent.

Other faves: michters, blantons, eagle rare, col taylor, angels envy. And while technically not bourbon, michters unblended American whiskey is damn good

I’m not much for bourbon. I like Ryes when I’m drinking it straight.

WhistlePig is good. I just finished some Pikesville, which was wonderful.

But tonight is old faithful, old fashions made with Jameson.

Kansas city

I haven’t noticed it at the liquor stores, not that I am looking for it, necessarily. If I’m at a big place with a lot of choices, that’s just probably not what I will usually look to pick up.

My dad likes to have it around and says it’s pretty hard to find in Omaha.

Last edited:
Templeton rye

Templeton is good. But It is sourced from MPG, not that there is anything wrong with that.

If you’ve never heard of MPG, they are pretty fascinating. They are the biggest distillery in the nation and they will sell their liquor to bottlers who put their label and story on it. The Bob Dylan whiskeys are a good example.

That’s what Templeton did and why they had to change their label from “Prohibition Recipe” to “The good stuff”. They made up a story about prohibition and said their whiskey was made in Iowa, when they really bought it from MPG in Indiana.

It’s amazing how many whiskeys come from MPG (Angels Envy, Templeton, etc). Take a look at the label sometime and notice how many come from there. Also notice how some will say bottled in ........., that’s usually a dead giveaway it was actually distilled somewhere like MPG.

MPG has started bottling their own whiskey and they have a bourbon called “Eight and Sand”. Pick it up if you see it. It is affordable and really good.

Last edited:
I do Makers as a casual pour. Ive got four roses and really like it. I got a bottle of double oaked Woodford for Christmas that I will enjoy tomorrow.

Reactions: HBK4life
Templeton is good. But It is sourced from MPG, not that there is anything wrong with that.

If you’ve never heard of MPG, they are pretty fascinating. They are the biggest distillery in the nation and they will sell their liquor to bottlers who put their label and story on it. The Bob Dylan whiskeys are a good example.

That’s what Templeton did and why they had to change their label from “Prohibition Recipe” to “The good stuff”. They made up a story about prohibition and said their whiskey was made in Iowa, when they really bought it from MPG in Indiana.

It’s amazing how many whiskeys come from MPG (Angels Envy, Templeton, etc). Take a look at the label sometime and notice how many come from there. Also notice how some will say bottled in ........., that’s usually a dead giveaway it was actually distilled somewhere like MPG.

MPG has started bottling their own whiskey and they have a bourbon called “Eight and Sand”. Pick it up if you see it. It is affordable and really good.

In a previous life I sold industrial equipment to MGP. Pretty neat place. They didn’t pretty well during covid between alcohol and hand sanitizer.

In a previous life I sold industrial equipment to MGP. Pretty neat place. They didn’t pretty well during covid between alcohol and hand sanitizer.

Very cool. Did you go to the facilities or a cooperate type headquarters? They also have a facility in Atchison, KS of all places.

Very cool. Did you go to the facilities or a cooperate type headquarters? They also have a facility in Atchison, KS of all places.

I only dealt with Atchison. Good people. Unfortunately, a pretty unsafe place to work. There is a death on that site more than any other place I used to sell to. But everybody I worked with were awesome people.

Plantation’s Pineapple Rum is fantastic straight with some frozen raspberries and blackberries. Rum in general sucks, but this rum in particular is smokey and slightly sweet (no added sugar) due to them using pineapple cores for its sweetness, so there’s no actual pineapple flavor.

I’m a scotch/beer/wine drinker, and if you give someone a glass of the plantation rum they won’t believe it’s actually rum. Very good and runs anywhere between $28 - $36 a bottle depending on where you buy it

My 3 go-to bourbons:

1. Old Forester 100 ($25)
2. Evan Williams Black ($12)
3. Jack Daniel's ($19)

Four Roses is good, I like the small batch. Larceny is OK. But those top 3 are where it's at. Prices per 750ml. Evan Williams is almost cheaper than water.

Last edited:
If you are into store picks - we just received our first barrel of 2021 at Kens Kegs in Lincoln

Bulleit Single Barrel. 104 proof. Aged 10 years. Have had real positive feedback already.

Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark are my go-tos.

I do like Buffalo Trace, if you've never tried their Bourbon Cream you should definitely give it a taste. Basically like an Irish Cream, but with bourbon. I never have footed to try any of the Van Winkles but I'd love to.

I'm not a huge fan of Four Roses, by my father-in-law really likes it so it may just be my taste buds, haha. Basil Hayden is another one I'd pass on in the future. My sister got me some for Christmas a few years back, still have quite a bit of it. Use it for cooking more than anything. Not TERRIBLE just not worth the price tag.

Evan Williams is one that really is surprisingly good for as cheap as it is. I'd take Evan over Jack Daniels any day, as well as quite a few other low-mid grade bourbons.

Thanks for all the info. Have used this to suggest a bourbon to share amongst 9 high school friends whenever one of us passes away (to drink at the funeral). Likely get an Eagle Rare 10-year old bourbon, along with an ArkaY alcohol-free bourbon (to accommodate one of our buddies).

Buffalo Trace is my favorite now and getting harder to purchase.. Can’t go wrong with Maker’s

Some more expensive bourbons that are very good are ANGELs Envy 43.3 alcohol and Eagle Rare..
Buffalo Trace is my favorite as well. Unfortunately, here in PA, with our absurd State run monopoly of liquor stores they can never seem to keep it in stock. Always sells out fast.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite as well. Unfortunately, here in PA, with our absurd State run monopoly of liquor stores they can never seem to keep it in stock. Always sells out fast.
In Nebraska the problem isn't the stores, it's the distributor. Monopoly and mafia type. Hard to get a lot of stuff and go across state line......boom. they've got it. Wth

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT