ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Bourbon drinkers?

What's the saying. All bourbons are whiskey but not all whiskeys are bourbon. Bourbon is basically made in Kentucky. Whiskey is Tennessee. Scotch is also whiskey from Ireland. Just different spelling.
...and where is Coors Light made?

His thread is about whiskey, not bourbon.
https://arrowliquors.com/difference-between-bourbon-and-whiskey/ The term “Whiskey” derives from an Irish phrase meaning “water of life.” As one of the most popular alcoholic drinks globally, whiskey has many varieties, like Irish whiskey, Tennessee whiskey, Scotch whisky, and Bourbon. Despite numerous similarities, there lies a fundamental difference between scotch, whiskey, and bourbon.

Types of Whiskey

• BOURBON
Bourbon whiskey is only produced in the USA. According to the federal liquor regulations, it must be made from a mash bill that contains at least 51% corn and matured in brand new charred oak barrels. Although there are no minimum time limitations for aging bourbon, the varieties aged less than four years must have their age printed on the label. Straight bourbon, however, must be aged for at least two years before bottling.

• SCOTCH
Scotch whisky, as the name suggests, must be produced in Scotland. It is mainly distilled from malted barley and has two major types called single malt and single grain scotch. Single malt scotch is produced at a single distillery using only water and malted barley, whereas single grain scotch may also contain other grains along with malted or unmalted barley. Unlike bourbon, scotch must be aged for a minimum of 3 years in oak barrels before distillation and bottling at an ABV of at least 40%.

Old Crow! Good enough for Ulysses S Grant, good enough for me. My pop used to keep a fifth in the glove compartment of his work car. A 1952 Dodge. Mom didn’t hanker to a drinking man. Since both mom and pop were of the generation that thought the Beatles were the work of the devil. I would ask pop if I could go to his car to listen to the radio as to not offend them. Rather to not hear about how my generation was the demise of Liberty. So I would tune in to Beaker Street Theater out of Little Rock, and pump an ounce or two of that Old Crow into a soda. And being WAY smarter than my parents at age 14. I would top off the Old Crow with water, to make sure pop wouldn’t figure out I had hit the bottle. Well, who knew, at age 14 that too much water would alllow pops Old Crow to freeze. Best memory, “Boy, be damn glad your mom doesn’t know about that glove compartment”. Got a transistor radio for my 15th birthday.

It's pricey but I have to have some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked around just for the aroma. It should be a part of any Whiskey flight you do.

AND, if you drink a sufficient amount of it on Christmas Eve, Charles Dickens will engage you in conversation. 😎

Reactions: HBK4life
It's pricey but I have to have some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked around just for the aroma. It should be a part of any Whiskey flight you do.

AND, if you drink a sufficient amount of it on Christmas Eve, Charles Dickens will engage you in conversation. 😎
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is pricey? I think it's pretty reasonable.

Was lucky enough to sample some Pappy Van Winkle a few years back during a work trip in New York. Believe the hype.

Reactions: HBK4life
Was lucky enough to sample some Pappy Van Winkle a few years back during a work trip in New York. Believe the hype.

Consider me jealous! What age was it? Any Van Winkle would be awesome, I'm sure.

Old Crow! Good enough for Ulysses S Grant, good enough for me. My pop used to keep a fifth in the glove compartment of his work car. A 1952 Dodge. Mom didn’t hanker to a drinking man. Since both mom and pop were of the generation that thought the Beatles were the work of the devil. I would ask pop if I could go to his car to listen to the radio as to not offend them. Rather to not hear about how my generation was the demise of Liberty. So I would tune in to Beaker Street Theater out of Little Rock, and pump an ounce or two of that Old Crow into a soda. And being WAY smarter than my parents at age 14. I would top off the Old Crow with water, to make sure pop wouldn’t figure out I had hit the bottle. Well, who knew, at age 14 that too much water would alllow pops Old Crow to freeze. Best memory, “Boy, be damn glad your mom doesn’t know about that glove compartment”. Got a transistor radio for my 15th birthday.
Freaking awesome !

Great story! How old does that make you?

Old Crow of today isn’t what your old man had, now it’s just basically a 3 year aged Jim Beam vs Beam White label at 4 and black at 6

Old Crow of today isn’t what your old man had, now it’s just basically a 3 year aged Jim Beam vs Beam White label at 4 and black at 6
Which is an improvement from the latter 20th century Crow which made painter thinner a more palatable drink.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: headcard
You are correct. I am not a bourbon drinker anymore. But I looked it up a few years ago. I remember being in Toulon, France in 1976. We left the ship and headed to town to get liquored up. We hit the fanciest hotel bar and commenced to indulge. After knocking back a few. I looked at the mirrored bar back and spotted a fifth of the Old Crow nestled in the corner. It was about 3 fifths full, so I started negotiating with the bar keep for the remainder of the bottle. After some back and forth, we settled on $25.
I took the bottle to the park in the square and polished her off. Pop had passed in 74. So it was a night of me and memories of the best man I ever knew.

Got this as a Christmas present from my wife. From Costco and since I'd been eying it for awhile I knew that it cost about $69. Four bottles @ 200 ml each. The Reserve is my fave so far.

Johnnie Walker The Collection Set 4 x 200ml Bottles (4mua VOT-040SET) - Send Flowers and Gifts ...

Nice. What did you think of the Blue Label?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT