ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Anyone fight with spouse about money?

Build yourself a little sauna & sit in it for 5mins at the end of each day

Morning shower w coldest water (90seconds - it sucks ass and you’ll dread it but that’s good for you too lol)

Yoga (sounds girly/stupid, is not) 3x/week (30mins)

all really good for joints/breathing, too. free decade’s worth of time reversal no matter what else you’re up to (booze, diet, etc)
These days I’m in a sauna til I hit the shower. I fix fence or whatever at the farm until I can’t replenish the sweat with water anymore then I quit for the day. No freaking way am I going to get in a sauna☺️ I’m drenched in sweat by 10 am

I ran a small college. People are required to go through a student loan process before accepting it. I have watched hundreds if not thousands go through it and they just sit and sign. People are not good at looking into the future.

The feds make such crazy and ridiculously difficult rules, the private sector does not want to get involved nearly as much these days if at all. You make one tiny mistake or fail to notify at any interval and the government will come along and use it as a reason to forgive and blame the banks.

We have created a play now and pay later society in all areas, not just student loans. We encouraged both of our kids to get good grades and ACT scores to help pay for college, it helps. I was doing my grad work at Fort Hays and one class was on Student Services. There was a student there who worked right up to getting a degree, within a handful of credit hours and would not finish only to take out more loans and start on a second and then third degree, never finishing any of them. I can't remember where it finally got to, I think the fifth one the government shut the student off, geez, what a concept.

Colleges offer some of the most worthless degrees imaginable. It doesn't matter if there are enough jobs, they always have a story about someone getting a job in that area. Colleges have an endless supply of money coming from an unsuspecting populace guaranteed by you and I. What could go wrong? Perhaps the government should come back on those schools for some of the money, that would change things in a hurry.
Totally, one of my sons will be attending Michigan for his MBA, $67k/yr. That is crazy money for one year fortunately he is an officer in the military and they are footing the bill. I’m thinking the elites, academia, etc and soaking the rest of us big time.

Good post. My nephew is working on a degree in history. I asked him what the hell he’s gonna do with that. He could teach high school and that’s about it. Very limited career path otherwise . I think he has seen the light.
My daughter got a degree in history from Harvard. She had an emphasis on Russian history and language. Her longer term goal is to get in to a top law school and pursue international law. I just cringed when I heard her area of undergrad emphasis but so far it’ looks like it’s working out for her. She was told by multiple advisors that a history degree would serve her well for the career she wants. She found a job with a large law firm doing research for them and has turned down other offers. She wanted to work in a law firm for 2 years before she actually started law school.

I’ve had extensive arthritis in multiple joints for over about 15 years with extensive remodeling of both hips and multiple disc spaces in my neck and back. I did a LOT of high impact activities in to my forties from 3x/week full court basketball to high country backpacking even after my first hip replacement on my 50th birthday. I don’t play basketball anymore but I still get after it with chain saws and shovels way too much. It’s just the way I’ve attacked things my whole life.

With the degree of deterioration of multiple joints I have, it’s kind of beyond anything other than surgical repair. I have 2 lumbar and 1 cervical vertebral spaces that have pretty well fused on their own. I tore an ACL in my late teens and didn’t know it until my late 30s. Never had it fixed and that knee is my best knee now. Bone on bone in every joint in my right leg now but I’m still getting around. I can go most of the day working at the ranch on my feet before they bother me much. I just like to whine. The worst thing for me is sitting or standing still for more than about an hour. 😉

I did heavy Alleve combined with Tylenol up until about 8 years ago. I only do steroids now once or twice a year for breathing issues. When I do, I feel like Superman. I’ll put in 12 hour days until I quit the prednisone.
Reminds me of the saying if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Another one is-was hard work won't hurt you. I am living proof starting when I was 48 shoulder surgery and the surgeon said looks like the shoulder of a 65 year old. Skipped a year and had to have the other one done, the same thing. 4 back surgeries since then and needed another shoulder done 2 years ago and decided I would live with it. It is interesting reading other older people mention (aches and pains) like that because so much for the golden years. The way I see it, the only thing golden is my pee. Take care

Reminds me of the saying if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Another one is-was hard work won't hurt you. I am living proof starting when I was 48 shoulder surgery and the surgeon said looks like the shoulder of a 65 year old. Skipped a year and had to have the other one done, the same thing. 4 back surgeries since then and needed another shoulder done 2 years ago and decided I would live with it. It is interesting reading other older people mention (aches and pains) like that because so much for the golden years. The way I see it, the only thing golden is my pee. Take care
countrybob, I think that saying about taken better care of myself was by Mickey Mantle. Or maybe not.

It is a bitch getting older especially when you've abused your body in the younger years. The problem is, so many times the work one is doing is really tough on the body and the joints, but when you're younger you can just kind of absorb the shock and some pain. Plus, at that time, you're doing what you have to do to move your family or operation forward, so we just kind of eat the pain.

I’ve had extensive arthritis in multiple joints for over about 15 years with extensive remodeling of both hips and multiple disc spaces in my neck and back. I did a LOT of high impact activities in to my forties from 3x/week full court basketball to high country backpacking even after my first hip replacement on my 50th birthday. I don’t play basketball anymore but I still get after it with chain saws and shovels way too much. It’s just the way I’ve attacked things my whole life.

With the degree of deterioration of multiple joints I have, it’s kind of beyond anything other than surgical repair. I have 2 lumbar and 1 cervical vertebral spaces that have pretty well fused on their own. I tore an ACL in my late teens and didn’t know it until my late 30s. Never had it fixed and that knee is my best knee now. Bone on bone in every joint in my right leg now but I’m still getting around. I can go most of the day working at the ranch on my feet before they bother me much. I just like to whine. The worst thing for me is sitting or standing still for more than about an hour. 😉

I did heavy Alleve combined with Tylenol up until about 8 years ago. I only do steroids now once or twice a year for breathing issues. When I do, I feel like Superman. I’ll put in 12 hour days until I quit the prednisone.
On a related/unrelated note you said in your younger days you ran the 40 in 4.7 and now it would be 9.7. I say, after reading your physical condition....Bullshit!!.

You might not be able to explode for 5 yards before you blew an ankle, knee, hip or something. You realize I would be speakng from first hand experience as a broken down ex-sprinter myself? If I were to try a legitimate 40 yard dash, the only place it would happen is on the lawn at the local hospital, near the emergency room entrance. LOL

I’m at a place to push a big reset button and sell our house. We would use the profit to wipe away accrued debt since we have been in this place. That is the pro. The con is only being in this new build 2.5 years and uprooting the family to a rental. we would lose our locked in 2.99% interest. My wife and I are in a constant chat about this decision. I Gotta follow scripture about debt better. I’m sick of being a slave to the lender.

I’m at a place to push a big reset button and sell our house. We would use the profit to wipe away accrued debt since we have been in this place. That is the pro. The con is only being in this new build 2.5 years and uprooting the family to a rental. we would lose our locked in 2.99% interest. My wife and I are in a constant chat about this decision. I Gotta follow scripture about debt better. I’m sick of being a slave to the lender.
Do you think it would help if you had a crystal ball? LOL I know I know, I'm a smart ss

Reactions: jcunc05
Good for you and your family. Debt free is huge in this (or any) day and age. As far as the locked in 2.99%, that's a great rate and may not be available for a long time.

You're gonna erase debt, hopefully keep your powder dry and if things work out you get into a home at an affordable rate.

Always keep your eye out on a home(s) that were purchased with a VA Loan, because they are all assumable. Without researching it, I'm sure some were purchased at a good rate. Good luck.

Reactions: jcunc05
Has to be more out there like me. A guy who works hard, multiple jobs to provide a cushion to his family to experience at least a taste of the middle class lifestyle of living in an average house, drive average vehicles and try to put money away for retirement ( never enough) , make sure there is enough money coming in to cover the mortgage, life insurance, insurance, utilities, food, clothing , daycare and all the other bullshit a family needs to survive. Inflation is hitting some of the bills and I explained to the wife I’d like to set up a budget and see where we can trim some excessive costs, this turns into a your attacking me and my spending. **** Me and god damn women! Rant over.
All The F Time

My wife, who I love, still buys Teddy bears.

Good for you and your family. Debt free is huge in this (or any) day and age. As far as the locked in 2.99%, that's a great rate and may not be available for a long time.

You're gonna erase debt, hopefully keep your powder dry and if things work out you get into a home at an affordable rate.

Always keep your eye out on a home(s) that were purchased with a VA Loan, because they are all assumable. Without researching it, I'm sure some were purchased at a good rate. Good luck.
We do have a VA loan so for sure we’d get another one when the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
No. So long as you pay off the previous VA loan your eligibility is restored. I’m on my third.

So how does that work...(and I have a reason I am so interested in this) if you are in a home on a VA loan...wish to sell and buy another using a VA loan... Traditionall people use a bridge...but that isn't exactly paying the old one off first...do VA loans have a bridge of some sort to execute that??

So how does that work...(and I have a reason I am so interested in this) if you are in a home on a VA loan...wish to sell and buy another using a VA loan... Traditionall people use a bridge...but that isn't exactly paying the old one off first...do VA loans have a bridge of some sort to execute that??
Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that. My homes were spread out over time and I never purchased on back to back assignments.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
On a related/unrelated note you said in your younger days you ran the 40 in 4.7 and now it would be 9.7. I say, after reading your physical condition....Bullshit!!.

You might not be able to explode for 5 yards before you blew an ankle, knee, hip or something. You realize I would be speakng from first hand experience as a broken down ex-sprinter myself? If I were to try a legitimate 40 yard dash, the only place it would happen is on the lawn at the local hospital, near the emergency room entrance. LOL
I leapt a 6 foot tall board fence 2 weeks ago to avoid a pissed off bull. Depending on the adrenalin I can move when I have to. I wouldn’t want to have to outrun a mad mama cow for more than about 10 yards though😁

OP - don’t do this 🤣.

This is such a bad situation that folks are being forced into. The only thing I hope is if they are withdrawing money from their retirement account(s) they are at least putting it to good use, i.e. catching up on bills or paying bills off. So many people are on the treadmill just trying to stay solvent.

I always thought it made more sense to manage a withdrawal with some flexibility built into it. For example, the average withdrawal is @ $ 5,000.00. Instead of withdrawing $ 5K of your own money, I would withdraw $ 10K and use half of it to pay down/payoff debt and yes, buy 5K in precious metals. That allowed liquidity at a moment's notice. If the 5K was somehow able to bridge the gap and buy some more time, at least the person withdrawing the money was paying money back to himself and not pissing it away.

I have real concerns about the ability of a large part of the population to survive financially in the coming months.

This is such a bad situation that folks are being forced into. The only thing I hope is if they are withdrawing money from their retirement account(s) they are at least putting it to good use, i.e. catching up on bills or paying bills off. So many people are on the treadmill just trying to stay solvent.

I always thought it made more sense to manage a withdrawal with some flexibility built into it. For example, the average withdrawal is @ $ 5,000.00. Instead of withdrawing $ 5K of your own money, I would withdraw $ 10K and use half of it to pay down/payoff debt and yes, buy 5K in precious metals. That allowed liquidity at a moment's notice. If the 5K was somehow able to bridge the gap and buy some more time, at least the person withdrawing the money was paying money back to himself and not pissing it away.

I have real concerns about the ability of a large part of the population to survive financially in the coming months.
I assume it’s mostly being spent on frivolous purchases. People got used to spending their “free” Biden bucks, and are addicted to spending like it’s 2021 and ‘22.

I assume it’s mostly being spent on frivolous purchases. People got used to spending their “free” Biden bucks, and are addicted to spending like it’s 2021 and ‘22.
Absolutely Tampa. A lot of it started a long time ago with the convenience of just swiping the plastic. Then we moved into the easy/free money era. Not paying attention now to a person's financial responsibilities will lead them to total disaster. I think its hard enough for people that are really managing their money well to even get ahead. Let alone, like you say, spending money on BS items.

Reactions: countrybob
Absolutely Tampa. A lot of it started a long time ago with the convenience of just swiping the plastic. Then we moved into the easy/free money era. Not paying attention now to a person's financial responsibilities will lead them to total disaster. I think its hard enough for people that are really managing their money well to even get ahead. Let alone, like you say, spending money on BS items.
Yep.. and just in time for student loan payments to start back up again. Add the over a trillion in credit card debt, and you have a prefect recipe for a wave of bankruptcies & a nasty recession. Government is trying their hardest to spend their way to positive GDP #, but going to come crashing down in Q4.

Reactions: countrybob
Yep.. and just in time for student loan payments to start back up again. Add the over a trillion in credit card debt, and you have a prefect recipe for a wave of bankruptcies & a nasty recession. Government is trying their hardest to spend their way to positive GDP #, but going to come crashing down in Q4.
I agree, if not a couple months earlier.

I would agree - at our work people who start doing this end up making it a repeat behavior over and over again. It’s a bad deal.

I had one person tell me once that since he was “earning” 5% on his money (he had to pay interest on his 401k loan) that he was doing better than the market, I could not convince him that his net wasn’t changing since he was paying the interest.

A buddy of mine that owns a service station is having people show up needing a tire fixed who can’t even afford to put a used tire on. He said it’s getting worse by the day. Some of it is all the theft from stores making grocers etal raise prices to compensate for the losses. I don’t know how in the hell families can afford groceries.

A buddy of mine that owns a service station is having people show up needing a tire fixed who can’t even afford to put a used tire on. He said it’s getting worse by the day. Some of it is all the theft from stores making grocers etal raise prices to compensate for the losses. I don’t know how in the hell families can afford groceries.
Not only the rising prices of groceries and about everything else, as Tampa said, now they get to restart their payments for student loans which further reduces their disposible income.

My wife asked me 3 years ago why I was pressure canning so much food, it didn't take her long to figure out why. lol

One of the great things about that process is it allows my wife and I to give essential food items to friends who are trying their asses off and barely keeping their head above water.

Last edited:
Obama may have had good intentions.. but he totally fvcked this up. Student loans needs to go back to private sector and needs to be forgiven if someone declares bankruptcy… I suspect banks will only loan to majors that are worth a damn and make all these dumbass gender studies majors obsolete
I wish I could give this 42 likes.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I'm really pro heat and less pro cold simply due to age. I like sauna, but I moreso enjoy just being on my deck when the weather is nice and drinking in the Vit D. For those that may not know, the thighs are the best area to have direct sunlight.

Bigtime employ ice, mostly as a helpful way after muscle stress. When I was younger, I did enjoy a really cold shower, but as I got older I struggled to get past the "shrinkage" issue.
Pro athletes swear by the cold/ice tub. I did it a few times after skiing and it does make a difference.

Reactions: king_kong_

I know exactly how you are wired. If I feel good, I have stuff to do. My last back surgery the surgeon told me I am like an old vintage car the mind/engine says go but the body is saying no go. So I go until I can't hardly stand up straight. I ended up telling him if I sit on the couch all day and only get up too go too the bathroom, eventually that's going to hurt. But then I was ever the brightest bulb in the pack.

Thanks countrybob, I took the wife out on a long drive /date last weekend and we had a really good conversation about our future and how we’d like to see it play out for us and the kids. We were able to compromise on a few things and we are going to combine finances and have 1 checking and 1 savings account. Glad I was able to get some good advice from fellow husker fans.
I'm jealous, what is the real secret to your power of PERSUASION!

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT