ADVERTISEMENT

Osborne on Denver sports radio at 8:30

Osborne is teaming up with Darian Hagan's charity for Running with Ralphie, regarding mental health and suicide. Apparently Darian's 19 year old son committed suicide. Mentioned that he recruited Hagan, but he went to CU.

Some reminiscing of the Big 8 days.

On NU: hanging in there, not totally irrelevant, Bo averaged 9-10 wins a year, in retrospect not that terrible. Expectations are high. Solich let go after 6 years. People less patient.

On CFB in general: gravitating to spread offense, tough for defenses, spread the field, defense not resting very long. spread not friendly to your defense. Big 10 uses more 2 TE and FB, Alabama too.

On CU during their heyday: Mac and TO were friends, knew him at Mich. He knew the Mich-OSU rivalry, and chose NU has CU's rival. Mentioned that OU was NU's rival. Didn't understand CU being our rival, but he did respect them. Had a lot of mutual respect with OU, but CU relations was more heated. Would like to see CU get back on their feet.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
TO isn't very good at hiding his bitterness. Didn't mention HCMR at all, much less say anything good or supportive about him. When asked about the team, makes a couple lukewarm statements and then spends more time basically saying Bo and Frank were screwed, due mostly to fan expectations.

I've decided I don't like TO anymore. He shares the same us vs them mentality as Bo. I am so glad he no longer has any influence on the program.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
TO isn't very good at hiding his bitterness. Didn't mention HCMR at all, much less say anything good or supportive about him. When asked about the team, makes a couple lukewarm statements and then spends more time basically saying Bo and Frank were screwed, due mostly to fan expectations.

I've decided I don't like TO anymore. He shares the same us vs them mentality as Bo. I am so glad he no longer has any influence on the program.

Osborne isn't the Pope, Mike Riley doesn't need his blessing. Tom Osborne is no longer part of management of the NU athletic department, and it would be irresponsible to publicly comment on Riley. Seriously, why should Osborne comment on Riley? He didn't hire him, Eichorst did.

Reactions: jeans15

I agree ... my view of TO has diminished in recent years. I don't think its an "us vs. them" as much as its an inability to face that fact that he, while a GREAT coach, he was only a mediocre administrator. (A true statement for his political career too.) He did not do well making coaching picks. Loyalty and years of service took precedence over who was the best guy to lead the team. That is really true with the Solich pick vs. alternative plans that were being considered at that time. But whatever the case, he simply will never admit to making any mistake with either the Solich or Pelini pick. I had come to appreciate Devaney more as look back at history. What he did was really incredible. Taking a consistently losing team and transforming them almost immediately, and getting to the NC game in less than 10 years. That was special.

He still deserves an office in the current stadium (ahem....Mr. AD).

Both Frank and Bo knew how to win (as did TO obviously). Just the facts in their results but most fans these days are dumb enough to believe in winning press conference over wins on the field...

GBR

lets leave the TO bashing out of this

He did his best to help the program after he retired and made in his opinion what were the best decisions to him at the time

the results were neither glorious nor a complete disaster but rather somewhere in between, he now has less influence in the major decisions regarding the program which I believe is good.

He is not actively trashing the program nor is he advocating as much as he could which is understandable.

Lets not vilify the guy

He did his best to help the program after he retired and made in his opinion what was the best decision to him at the time

the results were neither glorious nor a complete disaster but rather somewhere in between, he now has less influence in the major decisions regarding the program which I believe is good.

He is not actively trashing the program nor is he advocating as much as he could which is understandable.

Lets not vilify the guy

Nope. The new narrative is Osborne bad, Eichorst and Perlman good. Nebraska deserves much better than Osborne.
God, I can't believe how ****ing entitled and stupid some people in our fan base are.

TO hates it when coaches get fired. He has always been like this and he is no different now. That is his agenda. He hated all the critism he got as a HC and took alot of it personally. HIs biggest mantra has ALWAYS been loyalty. He never ever considered firing an assistant. He's no different now, people are just looking to hear something more out of him.

Yep.... absolutely pathetic. It's obvious Tom has always been more worried about his legacy than anything else.

Osborne isn't the Pope, Mike Riley doesn't need his blessing. Tom Osborne is no longer part of management of the NU athletic department, and it would be irresponsible to publicly comment on Riley. Seriously, why should Osborne comment on Riley? He didn't hire him, Eichorst did.
Why would it be irresponsible of Osborne to comment on Riley? I know he doesn't have to if he chooses not to, but I don't get how he would be irresponsible if he did comment.

I guess what bothers me is that I expected/assumed someone that was the embodiment of everything Huskers for decades to contribute a positive outlook for the program when talking to the non-local media. You know, give the glass half-full outlook to those that don't really follow the program. And if he can't do that for whatever reason, then I would hope/expect him to take the high road and follow his mother's advice: If you can't say anything positive, don't say anything at all.

But the person I hoped TO to be is not the person TO actually is. TO can say whatever he wants, however he wants. If he wants to hold onto his bitterness and give it a voice whenever he is interviewed, that is certainly his prerogative.

And it's my prerogative to conclude that I don't care about him any more. I respect his accomplishments back in the day. But I no longer respect, like, or admire the person.

Interesting how he was applauded and welcomed back after Peadeyshine got the boot in the ass & made a hire most were thrilled with....and has gone from that, to where lots of people no longer like him. He probably should have taken that Colorado job back in the day and left some of you losers in the rearview. NU was lucky to have him, and it isn't his job to publicly back MR now. Bo was his choice, maybe even a friend, and he hated to see his friend get fired. So you'll have to excuse him if he doesn't glow about his replacement.

He did his best to help the program after he retired and made in his opinion what were the best decisions to him at the time

Lets not vilify the guy

I would like to do that, but I can't. Why? Because he does the same thing Bo does, which is blame the fans. Not just some fans, but the fanbase in general. Since I am part of that fanbase, he is blaming me personally. WTF did I do?

I like HCMR. His response to the Alex Lewis tirade was that you don't generalize like that about a group of people. He gets it. Bo never did. Sadly, TO doesn't either.

Reactions: steelclaw
Interesting how he was applauded and welcomed back after Peadeyshine got the boot in the ass & made a hire most were thrilled with....and has gone from that, to where lots of people no longer like him. He probably should have taken that Colorado job back in the day and left some of you losers in the rearview. NU was lucky to have him, and it isn't his job to publicly back MR now. Bo was his choice, maybe even a friend, and he hated to see his friend get fired. So you'll have to excuse him if he doesn't glow about his replacement.

Don't need him to glow about his replacement. But he also doesn't glow about the football program in general, or its fans. The opposite actually, since he loves to bring up his bitterness without even being asked. He is simply not a friend of the program anymore.

He turned on the fanbase before I turned on him. In fact, that's why I've turned on him and the only reason why.

i liked you back when you liked me, but then you changed, and you didn't like me anymore, so now, i don't like you either

did i get this right?

He didn't "turn on the fan base" he is so above petty crap like that! Did you ever watch him when he was coach? Were you alive? If you did you'd know that he's just about loyalty.

him not speaking about Riley is out of humility. He knows better than anyone that the coaches are the ones who know whats going on and the outside opinions are ridiculous.

Tom Osborne is no longer part of management of the NU athletic department, and it would be irresponsible to publicly comment on Riley.

He was asked about NU, and Mike Riley is the head coach of NU. Bo isn't, Frank isn't, Mike is.

@HuskerAlum92 I've mentioned his bitterness for years.

God, I can't believe how ****ing entitled and stupid some people in our fan base are.

images

i liked you back when you liked me, but then you changed, and you didn't like me anymore, so now, i don't like you either

did i get this right?

No, you didn't. I just don't like people that blame me for things I didn't do.

Tom never knew me, so I never thought of him liking me. The tie that held us together was a common interest in the success of the Nebraska football team. Now that he has let go of that, the tie isn't really there anymore. And if he's going to be too lazy to differentiate and blame me for his bitterness, then I'm moving on.

Tom never knew me, so I never thought of him liking me. The tie that held us together was a common interest in the success of the Nebraska football team. Now that he has let go of that, the tie isn't really there anymore. And if he's going to be too lazy to differentiate and blame me for his bitterness, then I'm moving on.

I hear you, but I just wanted to point out how silly it kind of sounded is all. I do think Tom has some bitterness issues, but I give the old ball coach a pass, he's no spring chicken anymore, and if he has issues, those are his to deal with.

Reactions: huskerj12
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. This is who TO is, he didn't change overnight and he isn't going to change in the future. These comments from TO also aren't anything new, this is what he says when someone puts a mic in front of him. Sometimes you just have to accept what people are. Gotta take the good with the bad. I wish he was more supportive, as we really need our fanbase to rally around this staff, but the fact that he isn't doesn't change my perception of what TO did for our program.

" the tie that held YOU AND TOM together?"
Tom lazy?
Are you kidding me? Who are you to cut him down? How old were you when he coached? Do you have any idea ridiculous you sound? The guy did more for the university than all of us on this board put together. Heck, we wouldn't even be here, this board probably wouldn't exist if not for him, give it a rest.

Reactions: SDhusker12
He was asked about NU, and Mike Riley is the head coach of NU. Bo isn't, Frank isn't, Mike is.

@HuskerAlum92 I've mentioned his bitterness for years.

images
Coach Osborne is a brilliant man. Doesn't take a mathematician to understand that a 70% winning percentage is much better than a 53% winning percentage. Yet, Huskers fans think the football program is headed in the "right" direction.

Coach Osborne is a brilliant man. Doesn't take a mathematician to understand that a 70% winning percentage is much better than a 53% winning percentage. Yet, Huskers fans think the football program is headed in the "right" direction.

This is a bad argument. Unless you believe all programs are equal in terms of resources. They aren't. Pope Osborne is a brilliant man...except when it comes to hand picking coaches.

As a former coach that took tons of sh!t before winning a title, what opinion do you expect him to have? Its our experiences and expectations that form opinions.

The entire landscape of Nebraska football changed when he retired. He knew the future difficulties that Nebraska would face to stay on top, and still does. I did and still do think the Frank hire was a mistake, but i dont have a problem with the coach that brought us 3 titles being allowed to make that decision....and subsequently harboring a little ill will when that coach is fired and the entire culture that he help cultivate getting tossed aside for the tool Callahan. Whatever, Im cool with Tom and his opinions, whether I agree with them or not.

This is a bad argument. Unless you believe all programs are equal in terms of resources. They aren't. Pope Osborne is a brilliant man...except when it comes to hand picking coaches.

Why is it for you, Mr. Baseball fan, a sport that heavily relies on playing the percentages, so hard for you to mentally process the statistical fact that Coach Riley has a 53 percent winning percentage as a head coach? Why, with as long as he has coached, would you believe that would change? Resources......riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.

Last edited:
If I am the head football coach at Nebraska...

I would have Tom Osborne's office next to mine... in fact he can have my office too and I will sit at a small desk in his office and I will nonstop ask Tom Osborne about everything he knows about FOOTBALL. Everything he thinks... everything he knows... everything he sees... about football. Everything.

I don't want to know what he thinks about anything else... because Tom Osborne's genius is in football. And as the head football coach at Nebraska I would want to be the best coach I could be... and win national championships. Period. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Hskerhd
Why is it for you, Mr. Baseball fan, a sport that heavily relies on playing the percentages, so hard for you to mentally process the statistical fact that Coach Riley has a 53 percent winning percentage as a head coach? Why, with as long as he coaches, would you believe that would change? Resources......riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.

This is so flawed. So do you believe Bo would have won 70% of his games at Oregon State or Vandy. Or that MR would have still only won 53% at USC or Texas?
Like in your baseball analogy would you rather hit at Coors field or at PETCO?

This is so flawed. So do you believe Bo would have won 70% of his games at Oregon State or Vandy. Or that MR would have still only won 53% at USC or Texas?
Like in your baseball analogy would you rather hit at Coors field or at PETCO?

Yes, the statistics are flawed. Good Lord. I'm done wasting energy on posters like yourself that don't understand simple math.

Why is it for you, Mr. Baseball fan, a sport that heavily relies on playing the percentages, so hard for you to mentally process the statistical fact that Coach Riley has a 53 percent winning percentage as a head coach? Why, with as long as he coaches, would you believe that would change? Resources......riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.
I don't think you can extrapolate that kind of thinking from place to place.. it's the same with players.. sometimes you have to be at the right place, at the right time.

We have all seen players at the NFL that don't really do much, then they get traded to the right team, and bam, they flourish. This is true of coaching jobs as well. Look at Saban, or Les Miles.

We don't know if Riley will be successful or not, but to not let the man get on with his attempt before you judge him, is inhuman.. I mean how would you like that if people judged you before you really got to try and worked at something?

To me, it just doesn't make any sense the way our society is wired to fail someone who hasn't even gotten a fair attempt yet.

His coaches werent terrible with the comparison of Cally. I mean as TO, you hire a guy in Frank who...yes dropped off quite a bit, but still won a large percentage of games and then he gets fired for Cally who had two losing seasons so we go crawling to Tom to resurrect us. He fires Cally and hires Bo who also, while never great still won a large portion of his games and then gets fired. Frank goes to Ohio and turns them into a solid team from nothing. Dont you think you would be a little ticked, too? (Notice I did not mention Riley as he is only 3 games in and could turn out to be decent, though having a rocky start)

Why is it for you, Mr. Baseball fan, a sport that heavily relies on playing the percentages, so hard for you to mentally process the statistical fact that Coach Riley has a 53 percent winning percentage as a head coach? Why, with as long as he has coached, would you believe that would change? Resources......riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.

So if it's that cut and dry....and if we are led to believe Osborne is some genius like you claim. Why did he hire a coach with a .447 record out of Colorado State? Genius Osborne hiring a coach under .500? Osborne was working at Creighton before taking the AD job at NU....did the Creighton AD and McDermott ask him to hire Miles so Creighton could beat us every year? Sounds plausible.

Last edited:
His coaches werent terrible with the comparison of Cally. I mean as TO, you hire a guy in Frank who...yes dropped off quite a bit, but still won a large percentage of games and then he gets fired for Cally who had two losing seasons so we go crawling to Tom to resurrect us. He fires Cally and hires Bo who also, while never great still won a large portion of his games and then gets fired. Frank goes to Ohio and turns them into a solid team from nothing. Dont you think you would be a little ticked, too? (Notice I did not mention Riley as he is only 3 games in and could turn out to be decent, though having a rocky start)

Just about anyone on this board probably could have won a large percentage of their games taking over a program coming off 3 national titles in 4 years. Im sure TO is pissed...a guy like him has a hard time admitting mistakes....and his two hires were most certainly mistakes.

I agree ... He did not do well making coaching picks. Loyalty and years of service took precedence over who was the best guy to lead the team. That is really true with the Solich pick vs. alternative plans that were being considered at that time.

To be fair it was pretty much well known for years that Frank would take over for TO. I can't prove this, but IMHO, the overwhelming amount of fans out there were perfectly willing to accept that fact.

Did TO circumvent the AD Bill Byrne, causing Frank to get the job without serious consideration to anyone else (rumors I've always heard that Byrne wanted Mack Brown who was at UNMC at the time)? Yep, TO did. IMHO, had it been more well known in 1997 that the AD wanted to consider looking at other candidates, the fan base as a whole would have raised a s#*%$torm, and Byrne would have been the one facing it. Byrne could have told us he had a crystal ball in 1997, and it told him to hire Nick Saban from Michigan State. He would have had a mob at his home calling for his head. Devaney picked TO. TO was going to pick his. That is the Nebraska way. That's the way we all thought at the time.

Almost everyone in the 90s just assumed the torch would be handed to Frank, then some day it'd be handed to Gill. The fans wanted it that way, and 18 years later to assume that there could have been any serious chance Frank didn't get the job is disregrading how things were.

Nebraska was rolling when TO retired and we all assumed it would just continue. It may have, but too many fumbles in Austin Texas in 1999 cost Frank probably his best shot at a MNC (even more IMO than 2001). Oh how things could have been different for Frank had that game gone our way.

Reactions: ExxHusker
Oh.....My.....God. Now I am 90% Hawkeye and 10% Husker fan, but am I actually reading about Husker football fans BASHING Tom Osborne? How is that even humanly possible? The guy is nothing short of the most successful coach in the history of the state of Nebraska. He forgot more about winning big than any of us will ever know. And some are saying they have lost respect for him, because of his viewpoints of the current administration? Some are saying he was a mediocre AD? Are you serious?

Tom Osborne is the reason Nebraska has five national championships in football. It's not us fans, it's not the school, it's not the state, it's not the administration, and it's not the tradition. It's Tom Osborne. And Bob Devaney, were he here, would be the first person to tell you that.

THE HERMENATOR

Yes, the statistics are flawed. Good Lord. I'm done wasting energy on posters like yourself that don't understand simple math.

So you believe everyplace is the same and that Bo Pelini would have won 70% of his games at any school. Gotcha

To be fair it was pretty much well known for years that Frank would take over for TO. I can't prove this, but IMHO, the overwhelming amount of fans out there were perfectly willing to accept that fact.

Did TO circumvent the AD Bill Byrne, causing Frank to get the job without serious consideration to anyone else (rumors I've always heard that Byrne wanted Mack Brown who was at UNMC at the time)? Yep, TO did. IMHO, had it been more well known in 1997 that the AD wanted to consider looking at other candidates, the fan base as a whole would have raised a s#*%$torm, and Byrne would have been the one facing it. Byrne could have told us he had a crystal ball in 1997, and it told him to hire Nick Saban from Michigan State. He would have had a mob at his home calling for his head. Devaney picked TO. TO was going to pick his. That is the Nebraska way. That's the way we all thought at the time.

Almost everyone in the 90s just assumed the torch would be handed to Frank, then some day it'd be handed to Gill. The fans wanted it that way, and 18 years later to assume that there could have been any serious chance Frank didn't get the job is disregrading how things were.

Nebraska was rolling when TO retired and we all assumed it would just continue. It may have, but too many fumbles in Austin Texas in 1999 cost Frank probably his best shot at a MNC (even more IMO than 2001). Oh how things could have been different for Frank had that game gone our way.
No. It is not accurate that every one knew Frank would take over. It may be true that people knew that is what TO wanted and positioned Frank to be "next in line", but the decision was Byrne's to make. And there was a "group of influential supporters" that was very interested in a guy that was just starting to turn one of the worst teams in the Big 10 around and who happened to have an escape clause in his contract with Wisconsin for Nebraska. And Byrne was well connected with this group. And TO knew that ... which is why TO waited to announce his retirement (unbeknownst to Byrne) when Byrne was away, and Byrne finds out from the media while walking off a plane and looking dumbfounded upon learning about it. And that is why TO announced with Frank by his side to make the decision look like it had already been made. And one wonders where Nebraska football would be today, if Byrne had been allowed to make that next pick ....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT