ADVERTISEMENT

off topic thread, mornings...

notjaemekon3

Walk On
Jan 6, 2023
Just trying to get motivated to work, I don't know why we start so early most days. I struggle to find any sort of motivation early in the day. I know management knows about these struggles, so why do we arbitrarily start so early?

As a business owner, one would think that having an effective team that gets shit done, would be more important than starting early.

I usually don't get into a normal state of mind until around 10 am, that's when I notice the anger from the morning dissipate, until then I experience what I refer to as "hot head". Additionally, I can't be bothered to sell anything until around 10, I can't talk to people early in the day, I get very weird.

Does anyone else experience this struggle? Why does management waste resources?

Alternatively do you think everyone at your work should have individual schedules to match each individual’s prime function of the day. If so - that would be spattered all over the place.

What time do you start work? We have a lot of folks start around 6:30and are done by 2:30-3:00. A lot of these folks love getting a lot done before the phones start ringing from customers.

Depending on your start time … this may sound counterintuitive … but get up earlier and work out … take time getting going after that before work and then you may have more motivation to start working earlier.

Or find a new job that better fits your peak time.

As soon as I read your post I instantly thought of office space. 🤣
Freaking TPS reports.
office space nothing to see here motherfucker GIF

Alternatively do you think everyone at your work should have individual schedules to match each individual’s prime function of the day. If so - that would be spattered all over the place.

What time do you start work? We have a lot of folks start around 6:30and are done by 2:30-3:00. A lot of these folks love getting a lot done before the phones start ringing from customers.

Depending on your start time … this may sound counterintuitive … but get up earlier and work out … take time getting going after that before work and then you may have more motivation to start working earlier.

Freaking TPS reports.
office space nothing to see here mother****er GIF

I've had jobs with rolling start times, I prefer that most. By utilizing a rolling start, it gives the morning folks a chance to be in early, and it gives folks like me a chance to not waste half the day shitposting.

I was up an hour and a half prior to my start time, I rode the bike, ate, showered, and still don't feel like getting started on anything. I'm actually more tired from doing all that shit before work, I feel like napping right now.

I'm in the market for a new job, I kind of always am. I think I want to go back to working from home exclusively, this morning crap is for the birds.

🤣☠️ I love Office Space, I also basically just sit and stare at my desk for like 4 hours of my shift.

I get more done between 7-10am than I do from 11-5. Then all the people who like to slow roll through the first half of the day start to interrupt with pointless meetings.

Most of our meetings are early in the day. I don't generally have afternoon meetings, so kind of the opposite. If I could skip the morning, I could skip the meetings.

Most meetings are pointless, which is probably why we don't have many. It's generally HR that wastes our time, why do companies still have HR departments?

Nope. Not in construction. Shit happens early in the morning 9-11 is the best time to get everyone together after we get crews rollin

Once the managers put the peons to work, then the managers have their morning huddle. I've seen this in places other than construction as well.

Everything comes down to attitude. A good vantage point I always consider is how blessed I am. Helps me. Ymmv

Reactions: notjaemekon3
Everything comes down to attitude. A good vantage point I always consider is how blessed I am. Helps me. Ymmv

"Hot head" isn't so much an attitude as it is me just being hostile. "Hot head" subsides as the day carries on. I think I would do better if I didn't have to battle "hot head". I don't know ymmv, what is that?

I could be more blessed. Most things these days seem worse than they were.

Freaking TPS reports.
office space nothing to see here mother****er GIF
Don’t really have a dog in this fight, but any time an Office Space gif is used, it’s an “auto-like”.

"Hot head" isn't so much an attitude as it is me just being hostile. "Hot head" subsides as the day carries on. I think I would do better if I didn't have to battle "hot head". I don't know ymmv, what is that?

I could be more blessed. Most things these days seem worse than they were.
“Your move may vary”

What seems worse?

I've had jobs with rolling start times, I prefer that most. By utilizing a rolling start, it gives the morning folks a chance to be in early, and it gives folks like me a chance to not waste half the day shitposting.

I was up an hour and a half prior to my start time, I rode the bike, ate, showered, and still don't feel like getting started on anything. I'm actually more tired from doing all that shit before work, I feel like napping right now.

I'm in the market for a new job, I kind of always am. I think I want to go back to working from home exclusively, this morning crap is for the birds.

🤣☠️ I love Office Space, I also basically just sit and stare at my desk for like 4 hours of my shift.
Well your first 2 posts are revealing. You can't get motivated, want to work exclusively from home AND always in the market for a new job. I'd hate to be your employer

It’s obvious you are truly not Jae, as you are able to title a thread off “off topic.” I’m sure @scarletred is pleased. I particularly like that you don’t abbreviate as “OT.” I can’t tell you the number of threads I’ve opened expecting to see a discussion on offensive tackles.

• Love
Just trying to get motivated to work, I don't know why we start so early most days. I struggle to find any sort of motivation early in the day. I know management knows about these struggles, so why do we arbitrarily start so early?

As a business owner, one would think that having an effective team that gets shit done, would be more important than starting early.

I usually don't get into a normal state of mind until around 10 am, that's when I notice the anger from the morning dissipate, until then I experience what I refer to as "hot head". Additionally, I can't be bothered to sell anything until around 10, I can't talk to people early in the day, I get very weird.

Does anyone else experience this struggle? Why does management waste resources?

I’m by far most productive when I start work around 4am-5am. Well rested, mind is clear, kids are in bed and it’s quite. I’m much less productive as the day drags on. I work from home and can just get up and go.

I also love getting a full 8 hour day in by noon, makes 12 hour days more manageable when you can only have 4 hours left on the backend of the day.

I’m by far most productive when I start work around 4am-5am. Well rested, mind is clear, kids are in bed and it’s quite. I’m much less productive as the day drags on. I work from home and can just get up and go.

I also love getting a full 8 hour day in by noon, makes 12 hour days more manageable when you can only have 4 hours left on the backend of the day.

I used to work at 4 AM, it's not natural for me. The best part is that i wasn't ever really awake until at least 7 it seemed. Not very productive, but half my shift would be over prior to me getting anything done, which was nice. I believe in being well rested as well, but early AM does not give me that rested feeling.

Reactions: dsmalls3
It’s obvious you are truly not Jae, as you are able to title a thread off “off topic.” I’m sure @scarletred is pleased. I particularly like that you don’t abbreviate as “OT.” I can’t tell you the number of threads I’ve opened expecting to see a discussion on offensive tackles.

I believe in clear title descriptions. 😍🤙

@Jaemekon is a rascal.

Reactions: Juan Malo
Gotta be a hundred on yankee hill alone 😅

It makes for a less than favorable driving experience. I avoid those areas when possible, we've started going to Gretna for shopping in order to avoid the roundabouts. I'd rather drive 45 minutes away, than deal with the one lane yankee hill roundabout nightmare. Just pop on the bypass and away we go.

Reading this thread has made me really appreciate the fact that I have never worked for a company or had a manager in my adult life.

I crush my work between 7 and 11 each day and then it's my time.

• Love
I used to work at 4 AM, it's not natural for me. The best part is that i wasn't ever really awake until at least 7 it seemed. Not very productive, but half my shift would be over prior to me getting anything done, which was nice. I believe in being well rested as well, but early AM does not give me that rested feeling.

I’m naturally a night owl, so early mornings haven’t always been my thing. Having kids changed that. My goal is to be in bed by 9pm, which is the hard part. I like staying up late.

If I’m in bed by 9pm, I’ll wake up without an alarm at 4-5am and I get my 7-8 hours perfect. Waking up with alarm clocks can really mess up how you feel when you wake up. You don’t want to be woke up in the middle of a sleep cycle. Not using an alarm solves this problem. Just set a bed time and go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT