ADVERTISEMENT

Odd...

shocksker

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
If you told anyone a week ago Nebraska would be Exponentially better against the run and turnover margin I am pretty sure we'd have taken it.
I saw an offense that looked sluggish and anemic and an O line that was beyond out of sync. I know that the prior will be fixed asap but I worry it will take time for the O line.
Defensively they allowed less than 2 yards per carry and were +3. I only saw 2 badly missed tackles and if the offense doesnt turn it over we would be looking at 14 points instead of 21. This D can win the Big, will the O line get it together soon enough?

Reactions: SC_'sker
If you told anyone a week ago Nebraska would be Exponentially better against the run and turnover margin I am pretty sure we'd have taken it.
I saw an offense that looked sluggish and anemic and an O line that was beyond out of sync. I know that the prior will be fixed asap but I worry it will take time for the O line.
Defensively they allowed less than 2 yards per carry and were +3. I only saw 2 badly missed tackles and if the offense doesnt turn it over we would be looking at 14 points instead of 21. This D can win the Big, will the O line get it together soon enough?
I would say your missed tackles is a little low. I will have to watch the game again which I plan on doing anyway, but we missed more than 2 in the backfield for losses alone.

That said, I understand what you are saying. S Alabama gashed us a few times and had some decent big gains through the air. Colorado will be better. They're weekness is their defense

Reactions: oldjar07
I would say your missed tackles is a little low. I will have to watch the game again which I plan on doing anyway, but we missed more than 2 in the backfield for losses alone.

That said, I understand what you are saying. S Alabama gashed us a few times and had some decent big gains through the air. Colorado will be better. They're weekness is their defense
Looks like we're all fruit cakes...whaddya say @Hastings4Huskers ??

...and you're so happy about it, gay really.
lgbt_300x300.jpg

Reactions: TheBeav815
Neb ran 28 less plays than USA because of defensive TD's. Not sure you can blame the offense for that. Pretty hard to run plays when you just plain do not have the ball at all for most of the 3rd quarter!

Reactions: bshirt73
Nebraska
  • Lost to Sun Belt in 2018
  • Beat Sun Belt in 2019
  • Troy > South Alabama
Colorado
  • Beat Nebraska in 2018
Next two weeks will show plenty about Nebraska heading into Big Ten in 2019
  • West race is wide open in 2019
  • East is likely overrated for 2019
  • Not buying Michigan as fav
Rating West in 2019, after Week 1
  1. Wisconsin - since 2010, team to beat from list of 2014-2019 West teams .... RB Taylor now being used in pass game, very Barkley like now?
  2. Northwestern - defending champs in West were down 10-7 at Stanford late in game; very solid defense and defense plays huge role in championship football!
  3. Iowa - beat Miami University, as they were expected to do
  4. Minnesota - host Nebraska in 2019
  5. Nebraska - is 2 of 10 in road games past two seasons, so Coach Frost has a program that has lost 8 straight, since last trip to Purdue
  6. Purdue - the Omaha World-Herald's article talked about the Boilermakers in the preseason
  7. Illinois - they have a pulse, coming into Week 2, but one game doesn't make a season Win or Loss .... Northwestern lost to Akron last season, but still won West

Reactions: dinglefritz
I agree with O-line issues. I don't think this is something that can be fix over the course of a week or 2. Might take till back half of the year of even into next year. If the O-line can't open a lane for the run game or hold the D for more the .5 seconds not much will change on offense.
As far as D, keep in mind this was South Alabama. While any visible improvement on D is to be celebrated compared to the last 4 years. Take it with a grain of salt. If they can do similar things against a pretty decent CU offense then we may have something going.

Nebraska
  • Beat Sun Belt in 2019
  • Troy > South Alabama
Colorado
  • Beat Nebraska in 2018
  1. Wisconsin - since 2010, team to beat from list of 2014-2019 West teams .... RB Taylor now being used in pass game, very Barkley like now?
  2. Northwestern - defending champs in West were down 10-7 at Stanford late in game; very solid defense and defense plays huge role in championship football!
  4. Minnesota - host Nebraska in 2019
  5. Nebraska - is 2 of 10 in road games past two seasons, so Coach Frost has a program that has lost 8 straight, since last trip to Purdue
  6. Purdue - the Omaha World-Herald's article talked about the Boilermakers in the preseason
  7. Illinois - they have a pulse, coming into Week 2, but one game doesn't make a season Win or Loss .... Northwestern lost to Akron last season, but still won West
I can agree with all that.

I agree with O-line issues. I don't think this is something that can be fix over the course of a week or 2. Might take till back half of the year of even into next year. If the O-line can't open a lane for the run game or hold the D for more the .5 seconds not much will change on offense.
As far as D, keep in mind this was South Alabama. While any visible improvement on D is to be celebrated compared to the last 4 years. Take it with a grain of salt. If they can do similar things against a pretty decent CU offense then we may have something going.
One thing is clear to me. No matter how Tom's teams sometimes came out and sometimes looked a little sloppy to open the year, this is not one of Tom's teams. Not yet. The heralding of the return of Nebraska might be a year or so too early. We're really young on offense. I guess I should have listened to some former players who seemed to indicate that we were probably a year away yet. It's unfortunate because this year's schedule really set up for a run.

Reactions: husker2612
One thing is clear to me. No matter how Tom's teams sometimes came out and sometimes looked a little sloppy to open the year, this is not one of Tom's teams. Not yet. The heralding of the return of Nebraska might be a year or so too early. We're really young on offense. I guess I should have listened to some former players who seemed to indicate that we were probably a year away yet. It's unfortunate because this year's schedule really set up for a run.

Did anyone really think this was the year we were “back”? I was thinking like 8-9 wins, maybe contend for the west. I wouldn’t call that back. We could be salty by the end of the year, but I’d be happy being a fringe top 25 team in year 2. That’s a big improvement over what frost inherited.

Did anyone really think this was the year we were “back”? I was thinking like 8-9 wins, maybe contend for the west. I wouldn’t call that back. We could be salty by the end of the year, but I’d be happy being a fringe top 25 team in year 2. That’s a big improvement over what frost inherited.

Yeah I think we are working towards getting to the level where Bo had us. And before people go bananas on this take Bo did have us winning 9 games, which is more than the past 2 years combined. I'd say in year 4 Frost will have a team that is better than any of Bo's. Just going to take some time to get guys in and get them some experience.

Reactions: SC_'sker

If things don't improve we'll be lucky to finish 3 -9.

There's a huge difference between not seeing a game they can't win on the schedule and them actually winning all the games. It's a very young offense and an OL that only two years ago was probably the worst OL we've seen at NU since before the 1960s.

What was unexpected was how poorly Martinez played. He looked like a guy who can't handle the hype trying to do too much. Trying to make perfect plays rather than just make a play.

Yeah the problem around here is the only thing we really have to go off of is the media members who get a few clips of practices now and them. They take those few minutes here and there and blow them up into over blown hype. We in turn think, hey these guys are around the football program they must know what is going on. The issue is they don't, they really have no clue. No more than you or I. The only ones who really know are the coaches and the players and they keep a pretty tight lip.
Now the former players who have been there, done that. They probably have a better gauge of where things are at. Especially those who have been around practices. I know Adam Carriker said way early on he felt the offense was going to struggle, especially early on in the year and the D would have to carry the team. So far he appears to be right.

Reactions: saluno22
There's a huge difference between not seeing a game they can't win on the schedule and them actually winning all the games. It's a very young offense and an OL that only two years ago was probably the worst OL we've seen at NU since before the 1960s.

What was unexpected was how poorly Martinez played. He looked like a guy who can't handle the hype trying to do too much. Trying to make perfect plays rather than just make a play.

I’m not going to criticize Martinez and his ability to be a good qb in this offense based on one bad game when he had 10 good ones last year. Seems incredibly pre-mature and reactionary to me.

There were more than 2 missed tackles against a crap opponent. If we tackle against Wiscy like Saturday, Jonathan Taylor will score 3-4 times on his own.
I said 2 badly missed tackles, If you re watch there were 2 that will stick out, a few others that were misses but cleaned up by swarming D. Seriously give the D the credit it deserves, If that D shows up every Sat we will be in every game in the 4th. Now, whether or not that swarming Defense that creates turnovers comes out of the tunnel every week I dont know.

I’m not going to criticize Martinez and his ability to be a good qb in this offense based on one bad game when he had 10 good ones last year. Seems incredibly pre-mature and reactionary to me.

That's what the cupcake game is for. Get those hiccups out of the way. Address our issues.

Well, I have no proof to back up what I'm going to say......but I "very" highly doubt last year's defense would have crushed "anybody" in game #1. I'll take it with more than a grain of salt.

We'll see!

Nebraska
  • Beat Sun Belt in 2019
  • Troy > South Alabama Do we know that this year?
Colorado
  • Beat Nebraska in 2018
  2. Northwestern - defending champs in West were down 10-7 at Stanford late in game; very solid defense and defense plays huge role in championship football! Blackshirts looked good, NW lost its qb
  4. Minnesota - host Nebraska in 2019 minny struggled more agains sdsu
  5. Nebraska - is 2 of 10 in road games past two seasons, so Coach Frost has a program that has lost 8 straight, since last trip to Purdue, glad many of those guys are gone!
  6. Purdue - the Omaha World-Herald's article talked about the Boilermakers in the preseason not impressed
  7. Illinois - they have a pulse, coming into Week 2, but one game doesn't make a season Win or Loss .... lost their rb Northwestern lost to Akron last season, but still won West
Reread for the full story, very incomplete assessment cid

Every team misses tackles. That's why you need the entire defense swarming to the ball.

It's really the worst gift ever. Anyone ever get a fruitcake for a present that didn't end up in the trash?
I will agree and disagree. Yes the store brand suck, but a fresh fruitcake that a grandma would make is actually pretty good. Now since I’m older maybe the grandmas of today can’t boil water let alone bake

Reactions: baseball31ne
I said 2 badly missed tackles, If you re watch there were 2 that will stick out, a few others that were misses but cleaned up by swarming D. Seriously give the D the credit it deserves, If that D shows up every Sat we will be in every game in the 4th. Now, whether or not that swarming Defense that creates turnovers comes out of the tunnel every week I dont know.

I know DW had their QB keeper in to the endzone on their first TD (?) blown the hell up but whiffed on the tackle and it ended up a TD. You have to make those plays.

Reactions: Baxter48
I know DW had their QB keeper in to the endzone on their first TD (?) blown the hell up but whiffed on the tackle and it ended up a TD. You have to make those plays.
Yeah but there were other guys who should have been there too. DW disrupted the play enough that there should have been another guy ready to make the tackle.

Yeah but there were other guys who should have been there too. DW disrupted the play enough that there should have been another guy ready to make the tackle.
There was, but he was in the area on the inside,and their qb hit the seam. If the end had bullrushed more to the outside, he would have gotten him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT