ADVERTISEMENT

Not Very Encouraging Opinion

200w.gif

I dont necessarily disagree with his opinion entirely. He is correct: Nebraska's failure over the last 20 years is baffling in light of the fan support. Nebraska has had the fan support while Miami has no genuine support. All true. Is it impossible for Nebraska to return to being the powerhouse of the 90s? Not impossible but not likely to be as dominant. We were spoiled in that our period at the top was 25 years. Saban is at 17 years. Kirby Smart less than 10 years. Building that juggernaut is very difficult. But Finebaum is right that Nebraska has the fanbase and passion that if they (we) can get a winning culture that we can be very good and very relevant. I dont like Finebaum but I dont think he is entirely wrong on this one.

Last edited:
Miami just landed the #4 recruiting class in the country and is located in one of the most talent-rich parts of the country. All they need to do is hire the right coach and they can easily win big instantly. Proclaiming they will never be great again is just stupid and proves he is a clown.

not a Finebaum fan and I do live here in Bham, Alabama so I hear the Bama talk locally all the time 24x7. It's painful.
I did not think his assessment of Nebraska was too far off as it stands the last decade. He did say we have "real" fans and did say this about the '95 team in a previous write up......

“That Nebraska team was unbelievable. They beat four top-10 opponents by more than 30 points. The quarterback was Tommie Frazier. The defense was insufferable. That’s the best team I have seen.”

^^^^ they’ve taken a small step back vs wealthier programs. 100%. REALLY HAPPY about it, it’s just we kinda have a ceiling still until the NCAA fixes it, or football in generally takes the reins and sidesteps the NCAA’s BS…
100% agree

Miami just landed the #4 recruiting class in the country and is located in one of the most talent-rich parts of the country. All they need to do is hire the right coach and they can easily win big instantly. Proclaiming they will never be great again is just stupid and proves he is a clown.
Exactly. And I agree, and have said so many times on here and have pissed some people off, that it will be very difficult for Nebraska to return to elite status in the modern world of college football. But I also think that it can be done with the right coach. Finnebaum does not know any better than anyone else what a truly great coach could accomplish here. Is Rhule that coach? Only time will tell.

Finebaum has a degree in Political Science. As far as I can tell, he's never coached or played college football. His career has been spent in journalism and media. Why does anyone care what he thinks? There are are guys on this board with more insight into college football than him.

I think Paul is a very talented and knowledgeable person when it comes to college football....but that doesn't mean all of his opinions are going to turn out to be accurate either.

It was pure click bait. It worked.

Reactions: headcard
We’re WAAAAAAAAAYYYY down the list in terms of NIL money available to a football program, and always will be.

We’re spending the money we need to be competitive (finally), but we won’t ever have the money or talent to be a playoff team, in its current format. Half dozen teams will consistently vie for over half of the elite talent, and those are the teams currently defined by ‘greatness’. Sadly, just means they have the wealthy donors to spend more.

Raiola is One player, and I’m as overjoyed as anyone to have him as a foundation for better talent, but the playoff teams currently, including Texas and obviously Bama, are ALL paid mercenaries.

‘Greatness’ isn’t necessarily behind us (or Miami), but we’re gonna need an expanded playoff, some regulation of this untenable transfer portal situation and a lotta luck if we’re gonna get there.

We’re still not a playoff team, or anywhere close. Don’t care who our coach is. This last season was a waste. We JUST started last month, IMHO…
Will you please share the information that shows Nebraska is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY down the list on NIL $ and always will be as you proclaim? Please so we can all understand where you are coming from. Or state what you say is your opinion only.

Instead of blowing off his opinion, like everyone on here has, what did he say that us not truth. Opinions and truth and two different things.
His prediction is pure conjecture designed to generate clicks.

We’re WAAAAAAAAAYYYY down the list in terms of NIL money available to a football program, and always will be.

We’re spending the money we need to be competitive (finally), but we won’t ever have the money or talent to be a playoff team, in its current format. Half dozen teams will consistently vie for over half of the elite talent, and those are the teams currently defined by ‘greatness’. Sadly, just means they have the wealthy donors to spend more.

Raiola is One player, and I’m as overjoyed as anyone to have him as a foundation for better talent, but the playoff teams currently, including Texas and obviously Bama, are ALL paid mercenaries.

‘Greatness’ isn’t necessarily behind us (or Miami), but we’re gonna need an expanded playoff, some regulation of this untenable transfer portal situation and a lotta luck if we’re gonna get there.

We’re still not a playoff team, or anywhere close. Don’t care who our coach is. This last season was a waste. We JUST started last month, IMHO…
If you don't think we can ever be one of the top 12 teams in the country ever again why the hell do you watch and care? Honest question?

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskers123456

TLDR

Reactions: beaglehusker

You are way off base. Come out of the cellar and join the resurgence.

https://huskercorner.com/2023/03/20/nebraska-football-nil-money/

• Love
Reactions: Frozone
HS recruiting as we know it, is done. The portal changes everything. Those guys in the portal are (usually) older and more mature...they have done the wine and dine (and 69 hahaha), which means they are totally open to NU and their NIL.

NU is a top 20ish HS recruiting team and will be a top 10ish portal recruiting team.

What were his score predictions for Osborne’s 3 Natty’s?
No idea, and don't really care. Do you?

Are you predicting we will win 3 Natty's in a 4 year span in the near future?

I'd love to make a bet if so

NU was great off & on from the turn of the last century. Money helped, but it was always coaching. After WWII, thing really faltered, but then Devaney turned things around, and Osborne struggled a bit at first, but got it going again. Wonder if Solich could have done the same. Its like our AD wished "mediocrity" on us.

That said, coaching can change it all over again. NIL can help, so can the portal, but coaching is what matters. No one should know that better than NU and OU, considering their past. A winner brings in winners and gets them to play like winners. Players are drawn to such leaders because they make them the best they can be. Victory is wealth & glory. True in war, and true in the sport that replicates war the best: football.

Cold weather is SO football. South does breed better speed, but the wins they are enjoying are from coaching. Oregon has speed, but nattys?

Can it happen again. Yes! Will it be Rhule? As always, wait & see.

I do think it will be very difficult for Nebraska to return to elite status. It's been 20 years and they failed to do anything while being in the Big 12 North and the Big Ten West, two of the weakest divisions in the P5.

I do think NU can be respectable again. And by respectable I mean winning 8-9 games a year and occasionally squeaking out a 10th win. If the stars align perfectly, maybe 11 wins.

But it all depends on the coaching. Nebraska has had piss poor coaching since Osborne retired. Only Solich and Pelini were respectable but even they were serious downgrades from Osborne and neither had the pedigree or coaching talent to win a natty. Pelini never even won a conference.

Matt Rhule is the first coach they've hired that actually has a track record of success at the college level that's not from like 30 years ago. Scott Frost had success at UCF, but it was only one year. Rhule's done it at a couple different places. And we're seeing now how dysfunctional and toxic Carolina is.

But last year was an enormous red flag. You go 5-3 and then can't win one more game? I know they had a rash of injuries and the QB play was abysmal, but most of those losses were the result of bad coaching.

The only silver lining I can think of is Steve Sarkisian, whose first year at Texas was also 5-7 after he started 4-1. They lost six straight but did beat KSU to close out the season. Two years later and they were in the CFP.

That's also Texas, though. The richest program in college athletics located in one of the richest areas in the country in terms of talent.

So, I guess we'll just have to see.

If you don't think we can ever be one of the top 12 teams in the country ever again why the hell do you watch and care? Honest question?
Isn't it interesting how things have changed? It used to be the top 4 and hope someone got knocked off at the end of the year or in a bowl game. Now it's make the top 12 and you are in.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT