ADVERTISEMENT

Not Very Encouraging Opinion

Oh so one old bald guy says we wont be great again. His opinion is hardly better than anyone here.

Reactions: EVERED
Could have written a comparable article about OU near the end of the Gibbs, Captain Kangaroo and Blake years. But they got a good coach and rocketed back to the upper echelon. Obviously will be harder for NU, as the large B1G is a very different animal than the Big 8/Big 12.

We’re WAAAAAAAAAYYYY down the list in terms of NIL money available to a football program, and always will be.

We’re spending the money we need to be competitive (finally), but we won’t ever have the money or talent to be a playoff team, in its current format. Half dozen teams will consistently vie for over half of the elite talent, and those are the teams currently defined by ‘greatness’. Sadly, just means they have the wealthy donors to spend more.

Raiola is One player, and I’m as overjoyed as anyone to have him as a foundation for better talent, but the playoff teams currently, including Texas and obviously Bama, are ALL paid mercenaries.

‘Greatness’ isn’t necessarily behind us (or Miami), but we’re gonna need an expanded playoff, some regulation of this untenable transfer portal situation and a lotta luck if we’re gonna get there.

We’re still not a playoff team, or anywhere close. Don’t care who our coach is. This last season was a waste. We JUST started last month, IMHO…

Reactions: onechase
We’re WAAAAAAAAAYYYY down the list in terms of NIL money available to a football program, and always will be.

We’re spending the money we need to be competitive (finally), but we won’t ever have the money or talent to be a playoff team, in its current format. Half dozen teams will consistently vie for over half of the elite talent, and those are the teams currently defined by ‘greatness’. Sadly, just means they have the wealthy donors to spend more.

Raiola is One player, and I’m as overjoyed as anyone to have him as a foundation for better talent, but the playoff teams currently, including Texas and obviously Bama, are ALL paid mercenaries.

‘Greatness’ isn’t necessarily behind us (or Miami), but we’re gonna need an expanded playoff, some regulation of this untenable transfer portal situation and a lotta luck if we’re gonna get there.

We’re still not a playoff team, or anywhere close. Don’t care who our coach is. This last season was a waste. We JUST started last month, IMHO…
No reason Nebraska cannot be a top 12 team in the country.

I frequently see people say we don’t have as much NIL money as other programs but I have never actually seen them post true numbers. Please show us the actual numbers. I really am interested to see them and how they are verified.

I don't think he's right when he says we won't return to greatness, but he's also not wrong in saying we just haven't gotten it done.

This feels like the coaching staff that can actually get us over the hump and legitimately build the program back up... but in this new world of mega conferences, NIL, and annual free agency, I mean the transfer portal, who knows what a great program even looks like over the next decade.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Lord Of The Rings GIF by Giffffr

This is wrong in a lot of ways.

Reactions: HuskerJag
I frequently see people say we don’t have as much NIL money as other programs but I have never actually seen them post true numbers. Please show us the actual numbers. I really am interested to see them and how they are verified.
They're making shit up. It's more about where you put your NIL dollars.

An AD intent on a return to greatness doesn’t hire Mike Riley. Frost was more of an honest mistake, but he turned out to be an OC masquerading as a HC. Didn’t have his own shit together and didn’t have the chops to run a big program.
Rhule at least was in the basket of quality coaches available when the job was open.

There aren’t posted numbers, but they’re at least somewhat proportional to any university’s ’general endowment’, which is published. We rank in the mid 60’s there, amongst private and public. Not all spend money on football, but suffice it to say Texas, MU and tOSU will always have EXPONENTIALLY more to spend, not just on public education in general, but proportionally in terms of NIL donation. They’re mutually exclusive, I get that, but HAS TO also be proportional.

I think with nil being legal bama will see a decline..as far as other teams having more money to throw at players now, legally

Reactions: nwualum
No reason Nebraska cannot be a top 12 team in the country.
There must be some reasons(s) because we haven't done it. What he said was historically correct, arguments with that? If some believe we can be a top 12 team, how about saying when that might happen.

They're making shit up. It's more about where you put your NIL dollars.
It’s about the total dollars in the hands of a fanbase available for Donation. They can goto a general endowment fund, a $450M Stadium Obesity project, or straight into the pocket of an 18 y/o athlete. Their/our choice. ‘Merica. Just sayin… we’re down the list a long ways there. General Endowment is an accurate metric as you’re gonna find, IMO. Happy for someone to prove otherwise.

There must be some reasons(s) because we haven't done it. What he said was historically correct, arguments with that? If some believe we can be a top 12 team, how about saying when that might happen.
Saying we will not ascend to a great team again is historically correct?

There have been plenty of reasons we have sucked and it starts with coaching, coaching, coaching.

Huskers in playoffs for the 2026 season. Book it.

I'm not sure I'd put Bama in that conversation. They have recruited at a high level for 15 years. If anything things have leveled out with NIL between them and the other top 5-6 teams. Of course I'm not saying they weren't running their own form of NIL when they were running the table every year.

I'm not sure I'd put Bama in that conversation. They have recruited at a high level for 15 years. If anything things have leveled out with NIL between them and the other top 5-6 teams. Of course I'm not saying they weren't running their own form of NIL when they were running the table every year.
^^^^ they’ve taken a small step back vs wealthier programs. 100%. REALLY HAPPY about it, it’s just we kinda have a ceiling still until the NCAA fixes it, or football in generally takes the reins and sidesteps the NCAA’s BS…

Similar take could have been made by Bama before Saban showed up. Very uneven season records in the quarter century between Bear and Saban. Stallings had a couple of great years, but also got them a bowl ban.

Reactions: RBigredMax
There aren’t posted numbers, but they’re at least somewhat proportional to any university’s ’general endowment’, which is published. We rank in the mid 60’s there, amongst private and public. Not all spend money on football, but suffice it to say Texas, MU and tOSU will always have EXPONENTIALLY more to spend, not just on public education in general, but proportionally in terms of NIL donation. They’re mutually exclusive, I get that, but HAS TO also be proportional.
I thought profits generated from endowments are in large part across all colleges are utilized for academic purposes, but perhaps I'm wrong. By your rationale, Harvard, Yale and Stanford would have the highest NIL allocation, best facilities and would have been dominating and continue to dominate college athletics for the forseeable future. At least at Nebraska, I don't believe our endowment has ever been part of fundraising for any facilities nor NIL. Endowment may be somewhat of a measure of people's willingness to donate, general speaking, to a University, but it doesn't really translate to Nebraska athletics where the majority of the fanbase never even attended UNL (and wouldn't contribute to the endowment). The more Nebraska wins, the more the NIL pool will be amplified. I would be willing to guess that there is a lot of money sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if the program can be turned around, and if/when there is some proof that we can return to prominence (by winning), so will the "donations."

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think Tet’s standard is CU. They have so many f’n dogs and leaders, which must mean they got f’n NIL. That’s how you do it. Whatever CU’s got is what Tet wants.

bama is hemorrhaging talent presently. their coach is long in the tooth and soon will hang it up. this as texas looms.

my sense is that nil and the portal are bringing parity to college football across the nation. look at missouri in the sec and ku in the b12 as examples.

conference realignment may as well. but that's not as clear. the impact of the west coast four joining the b10 could have unforeseen consequences on the nebraskas and wisconsins of this league.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
For some reason this whole thread reminds me of a Vietnamese guy I used to work with who had been a boat person. Upon immigrating to the US he became a rabid football fan, both college and NFL, which I thought was pretty cool. He told me Nebraska would never compete for championships again because "kids don't want to play in cold weather". I asked him what about Notre Dame, Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, etc. and he would always says "that's different". I could never get him to tell me what was different about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT