ADVERTISEMENT

No more balloons - a tradition dies

That’s matter of opinion..
Exactly. The fact that tens of thousands of fans continue to purchase and release the balloons shows that it is far from a stupid and dead tradition. I loved it as a kid when my dad would buy me one of those balloons and I waited with excitement for us to score so I could release it. People forget that for many Nebraskans going to the game is a family event and buying a balloon for your kid(s) is a nice tradition. And I remember when I was a Sophomore at UNL in 1978 and I took my girlfriend to her first ever game (OU in 78!!) and she loved it when I bought her a balloon to release. At one point a huge percentage of P5 schools had this balloon release tradition. NU is one of the only schools that kept it and I, for one, am glad we did. Too many on this board presume to speak for all fans as if they are some kind of damn expert on which traditions are great and which are stupid:

1. The balloon tradition is stupid. It should go.
2. The sellout streak is fake. It should go.
3. The tunnel walk is lame with the stupid Chicago Bulls rip-off music. It should go.
4. The Spring game is a scam and a sham. We need to stop supporting it.
5. Actually even going to the game is no longer fun. Horrible seats and access to bathrooms/concessions. Better situation at home with my TV and man cave. So we should stop going to games too until the admin improves things.

I will be coming to the OU game this year. I am taking my 10 year old grand nephew. I am sad there will be no balloons for him.

The tradition is fine. The optics of releasing trash to go wherever it pleases is probably not a good fit, currently. Maybe we can just bring an old McDonalds bag to the game and everyone go to the top of the stadium and throw it over the terrace after the first touchdown. At least those bags are biodegradable.

Red balloons are cheap I'll buy a dozen and hand them out to anyone that wants one. I know my kid likes releasing the balloons and I'm sure many others do too. They said they were not handing them out they didn't say they weren't allowed in the stadium.
I know a very reliable helium guy

who wants to make some cash this fall in addition to fading the B1G in major bowls/the CFP?!

At some point you need to be an adult and acknowledge the real reason for not releasing the balloons. Just like letting women and black folk to vote. Stop being ignorant, Nebraska.

• Haha
Reactions: cmblizz96
At some point you need to be an adult and acknowledge the real reason for not releasing the balloons. Just like letting women and black folk to vote. Stop being ignorant, Nebraska.
Don't forget changing climate and polar bears, "The estimated polar bear population has quadrupled since 1950, rising from 10,000 bears in 1950 to 39,000 bears today." lets not be ignorant.

Don't forget changing climate and polar bears, "The estimated polar bear population has quadrupled since 1950, rising from 10,000 bears in 1950 to 39,000 bears today." lets not be ignorant.
Ok, aside from your obviously totally apolitical and fully expert stance on balloon impact on polar bear survival, I think the bigger issue is releasing the balloons is essentially littering. Nobody likes a litterbug, red or blue.

Let me guess, you are the guy that throws his beer can in the ditch thinking it just disappears? I just moved back from being gone for 29 years and am so in love with the beauty here. Then I see a dipshit who doesn't care about the environment.

Let me guess, you are the guy that throws his beer can in the ditch thinking it just disappears? I just moved back from being gone for 29 years and am so in love with the beauty here. Then I see a dipshit who doesn't care about the environment.
Actually I'm the guy that picks up the trash at local lakes and in the ditches so nice try. I can agree that it is bad from the littering standpoint so I'll give you that. Though I guess anything helps, plastic water bottles dwarfs balloons in total litter. All someone needs to do is get a glass and fill it with water which is what I do.

Last edited:
Actually I'm the guy that picks up the trash at local lakes and in the ditches so nice try. I can agree that it is bad from the littering standpoint so I'll give you that.
Then you are also the guy that has to take the rougher road of explaining to the others that Trev is being an adult.

When we meet I will buy the first beer, second and tenth until you tell me to stop. I appreciate people like you in threads like this.....

honest question.....dont they make balloons that biodegrade?

I dont care about the tradition, its cool to see it, but lets change it to waving red towels, or more fireworks, or confetti cannons, everyone throwing a runza on the field, or whatever.

Red balloons are cheap I'll buy a dozen and hand them out to anyone that wants one. I know my kid likes releasing the balloons and I'm sure many others do too. They said they were not handing them out they didn't say they weren't allowed in the stadium.
You do understand the role of helium in the balloon release process, right?

Did anybody even read the article? The article doesn't say the red balloons are dead forever. They hope to bring back the tradition next year. I personally like the balloons.
I seriously don’t think you will see them again..

I don't know why people are arguing over the reason. Whether it's the helium shortage (a very very very real problem that is sufficient enough reason) or the environmental impact. Either reason is sufficient enough on their own.

How many fans do you know will think about going to a Husker game this fall and go "man I want to go but I looked forward to the balloon release so much, I don't think I'll go now." Or how many recruits are going to lose interest in playing here because we don't release balloon?

I'm not a scientist, nor do have official numbers on how they impact the wildlife/environment. I do know that every single year that I go hunting, I pick up multiple balloons. Especially mylar ones.

This will have zero impact on our program in any noticeable way in the future. I'm fine with it.

I'm not sad that this is dying.

1. Helium in balloons is not medical grade (as far as i can tell), so I don't think party balloons steal from that, but helium is definitely a limited resource (on earth)

2. Its embarrassing if you don't score early (especially getting shut out in the first half) , or if you score, balloons are released, and then there is a penalty, etc.

3. I know that the balloons released are supposed to be biodegradable, but how much so. Even if it is just perception, its a positive to not promote littering.

I'm honestly disappointed to see this magical tradition go. I always thought it was part of what makes "TINPLN" on gamedays.

If we can't do balloons, has anyone thought up something different yet? Just taking a stab at it - confetti cannons maybe?? (IDK Lol)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT