ADVERTISEMENT

No more balloons - a tradition dies

I think it’s pathetic that we can’t have balloons anymore. It really rubs me the wrong way to say the least.

It has a Steve Pederson feeling to it.

Reactions: king_kong_
Nobody cares how Trev cut wrestling and football at UNO.
It's fine if you don't... or if nobody else on this board does for that matter. Nobody cares how he cut football, but to say nobody cared about how he did the Wrestling team is crazy. How he cut the wrestling team was at least in the top 2, if not number 1 reason people argued against him getting the UNL job.

It's fine if you don't... or if nobody else on this board does for that matter. Nobody cares how he cut football, but to say nobody cared about how he did the Wrestling team is crazy. How he cut the wrestling team was at least in the top 2, if not number 1 reason people argued against him getting the UNL job.
How...how did that argument work? Haha

Are you going to give him any credit what he did accomplish at UNO?

More important to have a division 1 basketball team participate in the Summit conference tournament to qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament than Wrestling team that wasn’t making any money in small division wrestling …

More important to have a division 1 basketball team participate in the Summit conference tournament to qualify for the NCAA basketball tournament than Wrestling team that wasn’t making any money in small division wrestling …
Absolutely. I wasn't against him becoming AD at all and thought he would be a great hire. And so far, I would say that has been true. I was just arguing against the thought that nobody gave a shit about him calling the team in their hotel while celebrating winning the NC and telling them they no longer had a team. People cared about how he handled it. People were upset. It wasn't everyone.. but there was/is definitely a contingent of people who he royally pissed off.

One trip to March Madness is bigger than everything UNO wrestling ever did and an upset in the first round as a 14 seed...well...that would be the biggest story in Maverick history.

Reactions: scarletred
Nebraska Football > UNO Wrestling. #1 reason for him getting the Nebraska AD job. Even UNO students care a lot more about NU football than UNO wrestling. Most UNO students didn't/don't give a rat's ass about wrestling. Why would you think that people in general care about that?

Reactions: Baxter48
Nebraska Football > UNO Wrestling. #1 reason for him getting the Nebraska AD job. Even UNO students care a lot more about NU football than UNO wrestling. Most UNO students didn't/don't give a rat's ass about wrestling. Why would you think that people in general care about that?
No shit Nebraska Football > UNO wrestling. What's your point on that? Nebraska football is bigger than literally anything in the state.

"Most _________ students care a lot more about NU football than ______ wrestling (or literally any sport)" That's true regardless of what school or sport you fill the blanks in with.

I'm confused at what point you're trying to make by stating that. I'm not sure why me saying how he cut wrestling definitely ruffled some people's feathers pretty bad has you so fired up. I'm not saying anything negative of Trev, I'm not saying he didn't deserve the job, I'm not saying UNO wrestling > NU football.

Why would I think people cared about it? I mean, I guess I just lived it being a part of the wrestling community. Use the ol' Google machine... there are still stories on OWH, LJS, and other publications talking about and to people who were/are upset with him on how he handled it.

I root for NU in wrestling. But no one cares if you eliminate the wrestling progrs
No shit Nebraska Football > UNO wrestling. What's your point on that? Nebraska football is bigger than literally anything in the state.

"Most _________ students care a lot more about NU football than ______ wrestling (or literally any sport)" That's true regardless of what school or sport you fill the blanks in with.

I'm confused at what point you're trying to make by stating that. I'm not sure why me saying how he cut wrestling definitely ruffled some people's feathers pretty bad has you so fired up. I'm not saying anything negative of Trev, I'm not saying he didn't deserve the job, I'm not saying UNO wrestling > NU football.

Why would I think people cared about it? I mean, I guess I just lived it being a part of the wrestling community. Use the ol' Google machine... there are still stories on OWH, LJS, and other publications talking about and to people who were/are upset with him on how he handled it.
Nobody cares = the point

I don't know why people are arguing over the reason. Whether it's the helium shortage (a very very very real problem that is sufficient enough reason) or the environmental impact. Either reason is sufficient enough on their own.

How many fans do you know will think about going to a Husker game this fall and go "man I want to go but I

I'm not a scientist, nor do have official numbers on how they impact the wildlife/environment. I do know that every single year that I go hunting, I pick up multiple balloons. Especially mylar ones.

This will have zero impact on our program in any noticeable way in the future. I'm fine with it.
One trip to March Madness is bigger than everything UNO wrestling ever did and an upset in the first round as a 14 seed...well...that would be the biggest story in Maverick history.
UNO has never been to the tournament and trev left them with a basketball team that has gone 5-20 and 5-25 the last 2 years … the basketball program is in shambles

Last edited:
I root for NU in wrestling. But no one cares if you eliminate the wrestling progrs

Nobody cares = the point
My personal experiences don't hold any water in an online argument, I get that. However there are more than a handful of articles right at your fingertips that show that people did in fact, care. Hell there's one from 2021 speaking with more than a few people who do still in fact, care. I root for NU wrestling as well. People would definitely care if it was cut.

Just because you don't care, or even the majority of people don't care, doesn't mean that nobody cares.

Pretty narcissistic view.

My personal experiences don't hold any water in an online argument, I get that. However there are more than a handful of articles right at your fingertips that show that people did in fact, care. Hell there's one from 2021 speaking with more than a few people who do still in fact, care. I root for NU wrestling as well. People would definitely care if it was cut.

Just because you don't care, or even the majority of people don't care, doesn't mean that nobody cares.

Pretty narcissistic view.
It doesn't matter. Trev did what an AD had to do. Prepared him for the NU job. Maybe he can add men's hockey and get UNO to drop that as well.

UNO has never been to the tournament and trev left them with a basketball team that has gone 5-20 and 5-25 the last 2 years … the basketball program is in shambles
But none of that matters.

I think that is the point.

UNO wrestling was super good and no one knew or cared or went to meets and honestly, no one was going to care or attend meets, no matter how much they won. That is just the nature of the how niche that sport is.

Like I said, I coached wrestling and they used to beg us to come and hand us free tickets.

It doesn't matter. Trev did what an AD had to do. Prepared him for the NU job. Maybe he can add men's hockey and get UNO to drop that as well.
How does cutting a football program right from the start and thus having zero experience as an athletic director at a school with football prepare you to be athletic director at a blue blood football school?

the top priority of the new AD was to fix the football program so what did we do? We went with a nepotism hire that had zero experience at a school with a football program

How does cutting a football program right from the start and thus having zero experience as an athletic director at a school with football prepare you to be athletic director at a blue blood football school?
I think just having to make tough (or in some cases unpopular) choices for the good of the school?

After doing that I am not sure how big of a role the AD really has with the programs. I mean, it isn't like they are going over practice plans and breaking down film.

When UNO was at its very best...I am guessing they did not even average 900
So a D2 school would be in the top 30-40 D1 school in terms of average attendance. I'm not saying you're wrong, but seems like a weird thing to claim to prove yourself.

Again, not anywhere close to the thing we were discussing, but okay. You saying other facts as if it backs up your argument indicate I've adequately proven my point.

Thanks

So a D2 school would be in the top 30-40 D1 school in terms of average attendance. I'm not saying you're wrong, but seems like a weird thing to claim to prove yourself.
I am saying that is ****ing horrible.

I am saying Trev cut a sport that no one really cared about, until it was cut.

Had people really cared about it they would have been in their in droves for the meets.

Personally, living in Omaha I can say this with 100% certainty

Not myself nor any of my friends have ever attended a UNO football or wrestling event (I did to to a UNO wrestling clinic once), I have also never been to a UNO basketball game.

We have been to UNO hockey games

Personally, living in Omaha I can say this with 100% certainty

Not myself nor any of my friends have ever attended a UNO football or wrestling event (I did to to a UNO wrestling clinic once), I have also never been to a UNO basketball game.

We have been to UNO hockey games
I’ve been to UNO Hockey and Basketball games and I don’t even give two $&its about Nebraska Wrestling..

He is also responsible for the building UNO plays in for Basketball and Hockey

And our new troll isn’t a fan of Nebraska waste of time committing he/ she is just stirring the $&it..

Again, not anywhere close to the thing we were discussing, but okay. You saying other facts as if it backs up your argument indicate I've adequately proven my point.

Thanks
The point is nobody cares about UNO dropping wrestling or football. This is a Nebraska Cornhuskers message board. Trev made decisions that were right for that school. UNL ≠ UNO

I am saying that is ****ing horrible.

I am saying Trev cut a sport that no one really cared about, until it was cut.

Had people really cared about it they would have been in their in droves for the meets.
I'm not saying that he shouldn't have cut the team. It still would have upset a small number of people, sure. Wrestling is a niche sport that doesn't make money at any school outside of Iowa or PSU I would guess.

I'm saying how he did it was seen as disrespectful and unprofessional by people. I don't see how you can argue against that.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have cut the team. It still would have upset a small number of people, sure. Wrestling is a niche sport that doesn't make money at any school outside of Iowa or PSU I would guess.

I'm saying how he did it was seen as disrespectful and unprofessional by people. I don't see how you can argue against that.
He was in a race against time because the information was getting leaked out.

It isn't like he was telling people to leak the info...other people did that so he had to make a judgement call and make a phone call.

Honestly, if I am about to get "canned" or "cut"...I don't want to sit down in a ****ing office and exchange fake pleasantries. That might just be me.

I get what you are saying, I really do. I am just commenting more on the fake outrage of the "all of a sudden" Mav wrestling and football fans.

The point is nobody cares about UNO dropping wrestling or football. This is a Nebraska Cornhuskers message board. Trev made decisions that were right for that school. UNL ≠ UNO
Fair enough.

I appreciate you just debating your stance with me. I'm new to the board so any differential opinions are usually met with calling me a troll and not a Nebraska fan and you didn't stoop to that.

Respect.

He was in a race against time because the information was getting leaked out.

It isn't like he was telling people to leak the info...other people did that so he had to make a judgement call and make a phone call.

Honestly, if I am about to get "canned" or "cut"...I don't want to sit down in a ****ing office and exchange fake pleasantries. That might just be me.

I get what you are saying, I really do. I am just commenting more on the fake outrage of the "all of a sudden" Mav wrestling and football fans.
That's a fair and understandable take.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Absolutely. I wasn't against him becoming AD at all and thought he would be a great hire. And so far, I would say that has been true.
Please list the accomplishments of our new AD that have convinced you it was a great hire. The largest 2 revenue sports in the athletic department have regressed under his watch - and may be the worst in all of power 5 sports and perhaps the history of the big ten. The overwhelming favorite to WIN the league in baseball failed to even make the tournament costing the city of Omaha and state millions of dollars. An assistant basketball coach impregnated one of his players and the head football coach has a show clause due to NCAA violations.

Please list the accomplishments of our new AD that have convinced you it was a great hire. The largest 2 revenue sports in the athletic department have regressed under his watch - and may be the worst in all of power 5 sports and perhaps the history of the big ten. The overwhelming favorite to WIN the league in baseball failed to even make the tournament costing the city of Omaha and state millions of dollars. An assistant basketball coach impregnated one of his players and the head football coach has a show clause due to NCAA violations.
Show clause?

Like...Santa?

Both programs were going to be cut with or without Trev......when he was being interviewed I guarantee those topics were brought up and if he didn't agree to be part of the process somebody else would get the job. Corporate America at it's finest. Agree to do something you don't feel great about because you want that job.

Don't forget changing climate and polar bears, "The estimated polar bear population has quadrupled since 1950, rising from 10,000 bears in 1950 to 39,000 bears today." lets not be ignorant.
Is that true? Where’d you get that from?

Since when did iowa get a new AD? Good away troll or better yet gtfo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT