ADVERTISEMENT

Next Head Coach

I am disputing the stats. He has 3 National Championships.
Yes you are correct, he has three not two. Like him or hate him, he is a top flight coach and wins everywhere he goes as far as college is concerned. Nebraska would be very lucky to have him if only for a few years.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I chuckle every time I read that we can blame Osborne for not allowing the AD to do a real search for a big name coach in 1997. I laugh because it is all hindsight thinking. IN 1997 NU was in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football. Our program was hitting on all cylinders and a great deal of our success had to do with the unique genius of Osborne's unique offense. Nebraska WAS Osborne's offense. Yes, yes, we had a great defense. But that is because we had great athletes and McBride dialed up a blitzing attack defense on the shoulders of a great d-line and corners who could cover in man to man. Therefore, the real uniqueness of Nebraska was that offense. It was our identity and our brand.

So when he knew he was going to retire Osborne wanted to keep the train going just as it had been. And why wouldn't he? It just made sense. And the best way to do that was to hire Solich since he knew the unique offense we were running inside and out. Osborne knew that if you brought in a brand new head coach from outside you were going to get an all new staff most likely and a change of offensive identity. You know... kind of like we got later with Callahan. And Osborne rightly thought that it would be insane to dismantle the single most successful program of the modern era.

Solich turned out to be a not so great recruiter and he got little help from his veteran staff either in that regard. So there was a drop off. But I will contend to my dying day that the biggest tragedy in the history of NU football was firing Solich and replacing him with Callahan. Because in doing that you did more than fire Solich. You fired a tradition of success which was tied to a unique offense that began to take shape in 1978 and which had only gotten better and better over the years. Yes, Solich changed and modified that offense a bit. But it was still the same basic offense.

And notice this as well for all of you who want to blame Osborne for this mess: Since 1997 Osborne was the one who hired our two most successful coaches who never had a losing season and averaged nine wins a year.

Too bad Frosty boy's ego caused him to ignore that legacy and that offense in favor of his Pac 12 basketball on grass notion of offense. How could he possibly have ignored the fact that power, power, power is what made NU great and is what the B1G does well. But Frost wanted to be known as his own offensive genius and he wasn't going to just emulate the Osborne template.

And now he is most likely going to get fired. And our program is a shambles. And people are on here dreaming about spending 100 million to get a coach here who is so lacking in integrity and is a proven liar and a total megalomaniac that he flopped with NFL players he could not bully and intimidate. Imagine what his buyout clause would be and how much it would bankrupt us when it came time to fire him in three years.
Agree with you, good post..Disappointing that SF has become such a failure.
Pederson hiring of Callahan changed the direction of the football program that Devaney and Osborne created.

Aranda would be a home run imo
We wouldn’t be able to get Aranda . IMO if we’re going to go big we need to go after Zac Taylor. We could pay him more than he’s making now. Yeah I know. WCO and he might bring a Callahan with him.
Beyond that go after an up and coming coordinator. I really don’t want a retread

at least Taylor uses a fullback

Reactions: konaki
We wouldn’t be able to get Aranda . IMO if we’re going to go big we need to go after Zac Taylor. We could pay him more than he’s making now. Yeah I know. WCO and he might bring a Callahan with him.
Beyond that go after an up and coming coordinator. I really don’t want a retread

Has a successful NFL coach ever left for a college job? I don’t think so.

Zac Taylor would work well at Nebraska I believe, good call.

Your TV rights' value will be going down. There's only two conferences that will be poaching from here on out. Enjoy your Mountain West invite. Laughing
They aren’t going down, unfortunately for you. With more competition for carriage, they are only going up. If the B10 can get $80-100M with teams like Indiana, Rutgers, Neb, the B12 will do just fine.

They aren’t going down, unfortunately for you. With more competition for carriage, they are only going up. If the B10 can get $80-100M with teams like Indiana, Rutgers, Neb, the B12 will do just fine.
Still living in denial I see.

Why doesn't Wake's Dave Clawson get brought up as a target? Smart guy (graduated from Williams College). Has a long tradition of program building (done it four times). He's been loyal to Wake but I think he's a realistic pull. He'd be on more short list of guys that I actually think Nebraska could pull:

Bielema, Clawson, Leonard (if we elevate an assistant)

i think Chris Petersen is the more realistic home run hire than Urban Meyer. Maybe Petersen is more of a triple, but he's reportedly always held the Nebraska tradition in high esteem and I think he'd be a culture fit in Lincoln.

Why doesn't Wake's Dave Clawson get brought up as a target? Smart guy (graduated from Williams College). Has a long tradition of program building (done it four times). He's been loyal to Wake but I think he's a realistic pull. He'd be on more short list of guys that I actually think Nebraska could pull:

i think Chris Petersen is the more realistic home run hire than Urban Meyer. Maybe Petersen is more of a triple, but he's reportedly always held the Nebraska tradition in high esteem and I think he'd be a culture fit in Lincoln.
Peterson is a joke.

Still living in denial I see.
You will know very soon, and I suspect will be disappointed as well. The B12 is better in football and mbb than the B10. Having one team dominant and the rest fighting for scraps doesn’t make the B10 strong. B12 will make plenty of $$$ and be just fine, and Neb will have $$$ and probably continue to struggle with the Ga Southerns of the world.

You will know very soon, and I suspect will be disappointed as well. The B12 is better in football and mbb than the B10. Having one team dominant and the rest fighting for scraps doesn’t make the B10 strong. B12 will make plenty of $$$ and be just fine, and Neb will have $$$ and probably continue to struggle with the Ga Southerns of the world.
The Big 12 has mostly hillbilly schools now.

I chuckle every time I read that we can blame Osborne for not allowing the AD to do a real search for a big name coach in 1997. I laugh because it is all hindsight thinking. IN 1997 NU was in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football. Our program was hitting on all cylinders and a great deal of our success had to do with the unique genius of Osborne's unique offense. Nebraska WAS Osborne's offense. Yes, yes, we had a great defense. But that is because we had great athletes and McBride dialed up a blitzing attack defense on the shoulders of a great d-line and corners who could cover in man to man. Therefore, the real uniqueness of Nebraska was that offense. It was our identity and our brand.

So when he knew he was going to retire Osborne wanted to keep the train going just as it had been. And why wouldn't he? It just made sense. And the best way to do that was to hire Solich since he knew the unique offense we were running inside and out. Osborne knew that if you brought in a brand new head coach from outside you were going to get an all new staff most likely and a change of offensive identity. You know... kind of like we got later with Callahan. And Osborne rightly thought that it would be insane to dismantle the single most successful program of the modern era.

Solich turned out to be a not so great recruiter and he got little help from his veteran staff either in that regard. So there was a drop off. But I will contend to my dying day that the biggest tragedy in the history of NU football was firing Solich and replacing him with Callahan. Because in doing that you did more than fire Solich. You fired a tradition of success which was tied to a unique offense that began to take shape in 1978 and which had only gotten better and better over the years. Yes, Solich changed and modified that offense a bit. But it was still the same basic offense.

And notice this as well for all of you who want to blame Osborne for this mess: Since 1997 Osborne was the one who hired our two most successful coaches who never had a losing season and averaged nine wins a year.

Too bad Frosty boy's ego caused him to ignore that legacy and that offense in favor of his Pac 12 basketball on grass notion of offense. How could he possibly have ignored the fact that power, power, power is what made NU great and is what the B1G does well. But Frost wanted to be known as his own offensive genius and he wasn't going to just emulate the Osborne template.

And now he is most likely going to get fired. And our program is a shambles. And people are on here dreaming about spending 100 million to get a coach here who is so lacking in integrity and is a proven liar and a total megalomaniac that he flopped with NFL players he could not bully and intimidate. Imagine what his buyout clause would be and how much it would bankrupt us when it came time to fire him in three years.
Callahan wasn't that bad of a hire. He had a brilliant offensive mind. His biggest downfall was his choice for a defensive coordinator. If his teams were able to play defense, he likely could have won a few conference championships.

Why doesn't NU put him on administratuve leave until his buyout drops mid-season? Do that and move on now.
I said the same thing. Administrative leave, suspension, impromptu vacation, whatever you want to call it, just keep him away from the players until 12:01am on October 1st.

Reactions: moralvictories
Callahan wasn't that bad of a hire. He had a brilliant offensive mind. His biggest downfall was his choice for a defensive coordinator. If his teams were able to play defense, he likely could have won a few conference championships.
Holy revisionist, yes he was. The start of our stupid back and forth offensive styles. Cally could recruit and coach OL, he is not a good HC

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Holy revisionist, yes he was. The start of our stupid back and forth offensive styles. Cally could recruit and coach OL, he is not a good HC
He went 8-4 in his second season and beat Michigan in the Alamo Bowl. Went 9-5 in his third season, played in the Big 12 championship game, losing a close game to Oklahoma.

Clawson's slow mesh offense would get killed in the Big Ten. I think he would be a disaster here.

No more coaches with these gimmicky offenses. We need a coach that will bring discipline and toughness and establish the run.

Clawson's slow mesh offense would get killed in the Big Ten. I think he would be a disaster here.

No more coaches with these gimmicky offenses. We need a coach that will bring discipline and toughness and establish the run.
Yes but someone who can do it at the Power 5 level. G5 coaches more often than not don't cut it at the power 5 level.

Biggest question right now, does Alberts fire Frost now or wait for Oct. 1st and save a few bucks. I'm all for ripping the band aid off quickly and starting the healing process even if it's a long process. I'm honestly surprised frost hasn't gone to Alberts and apologized and resigned but if he did, he would lose all that money he has taken without much guilt mind you.

I'm also surprised Frost hasn't apologized to the countless Husker fans he has put through the meat grinder during his reign which he will go down as the all time worst coach in Nebraska history. Who I feel sorry for are some very good coaches we have, Joseph, Applewhite, Beckton Whipple and Busch, they've upheld their part of the bargain and may lose their jobs because of Frost.

All Frost had to do was win more than lost and he couldn't do it. I would imagine if some of the Alumni started a fire Frost fund we could reduce the amount owed to Frost before Oct. 1st and move on.

Trev Alberts really doesn't have a difficult decision to make and I'm sure it's already been made, Mickey Joseph will most likely finish out the season as interim HC either before or after OCT 1st, I hope it's before quite honestly.

Biggest question right now, does Alberts fire Frost now or wait for Oct. 1st and save a few bucks. I'm all for ripping the band aid off quickly and starting the healing process even if it's a long process. I'm honestly surprised frost hasn't gone to Alberts and apologized and resigned but if he did, he would lose all that money he has taken without much guilt mind you.

I'm also surprised Frost hasn't apologized to the countless Husker fans he has put through the meat grinder during his reign which he will go down as the all time worst coach in Nebraska history. Who I feel sorry for are some very good coaches we have, Joseph, Applewhite, Beckton Whipple and Busch, they've upheld their part of the bargain and may lose their jobs because of Frost.

All Frost had to do was win more than lost and he couldn't do it. I would imagine if some of the Alumni started a fire Frost fund we could reduce the amount owed to Frost before Oct. 1st and move on.

Trev Alberts really doesn't have a difficult decision to make and I'm sure it's already been made, Mickey Joseph will most likely finish out the season as interim HC either before or after OCT 1st, I hope it's before quite honestly.
I think now

Living here in the Northwest, I have watched Petersen closely over his career. I know nothing, but my guess is Petersen will never be a head coach at another big school. He was tired of all the noise at U Dub. His old boss, Dan Hawkins, is coaching at their alma mater UC-Davis that is in the Big Sky Conference. I would not be surprised at all if Petersen does something like that.

Why are you all assuming that Meyer even wants to coach again?
Because we have a lot of lazy thinkers on this board.. and he's available too I think. Let's get him. We'll be playing for a national championship in 3 years.

Living here in the Northwest, I have watched Petersen closely over his career. I know nothing, but my guess is Petersen will never be a head coach at another big school. He was tired of all the noise at U Dub. His old boss, Dan Hawkins, is coaching at their alma mater UC-Davis that is in the Big Sky Conference. I would not be surprised at all if Petersen does something like that.
Yeah, he didn't stick around UW very long.

I think it's funny people think Meyer is a pipe dream, if Nebraska wants to get relevant again quickly he's the guy. Do you really think Meyer is done coaching college football? I don't. The only other coach I would take and he would be a pipe dream would be Saban. Now if I can't have Meyer, even if it's for a couple of years I would take a coach like Luke Fickell or the old reliable Mack Brown again even if Brown were here for just a few years.

I know this will offend some on here but Scott Frost make's for a good assistant coach but is in way over his head directing a College football program. Meyer was right when he said Frost is a smart football coach, what he didn't say was that Scott was a smart head coach.
The two jobs that might pull Meyer are ND and FSU. I just can't imagine ND firing their new coach after one season because of the PR backlash. I think they'll give him 2 seasons no matter what. FSU is a matter of how Norvell does this year. The LSU win was big. If NU offers now Meyer will likely decide he'd rather take what's currently available for a lot of money instead of waiting around for what might or might not come later.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT