ADVERTISEMENT

Next Head Coach

What has Campbell done fo deserve consideration?
he fits the up and coming guy that is at the wrong school in the wrong conference, that's all

I'm firmly in the pay whatever you have to, in order to get Meyer camp.

It's really time to stop screwing around tryin to save a buck, and go big. Meyer would bring in dividends and as it stands now, the program is circling the drain.

I think it's funny people think Meyer is a pipe dream, if Nebraska wants to get relevant again quickly he's the guy. Do you really think Meyer is done coaching college football? I don't. The only other coach I would take and he would be a pipe dream would be Saban. Now if I can't have Meyer, even if it's for a couple of years I would take a coach like Luke Fickell or the old reliable Mack Brown again even if Brown were here for just a few years.

I know this will offend some on here but Scott Frost make's for a good assistant coach but is in way over his head directing a College football program. Meyer was right when he said Frost is a smart football coach, what he didn't say was that Scott was a smart head coach.

I think it's funny people think Meyer is a pipe dream, if Nebraska wants to get relevant again quickly he's the guy. Do you really think Meyer is done coaching college football? I don't. The only other coach I would take and he would be a pipe dream would be Saban. Now if I can't have Meyer, even if it's for a couple of years I would take a coach like Luke Fickell or the old reliable Mack Brown again even if Brown were here for just a few years.

I know this will offend some on here but Scott Frost make's for a good assistant coach but is in way over his head directing a College football program. Meyer was right when he said Frost is a smart football coach, what he didn't say was that Scott was a smart head coach.
Meyer is a pipe dream because Nebraska is an irrelevant joke. People need to stop looking at NU football from within the fan bubble and see us from the outside as others see us. We are a total after thought. A has been. Our “brand” is dead. Urban Meyer is not coming here.

Meyer is a pipe dream because Nebraska is an irrelevant joke. People need to stop looking at NU football from within the fan bubble and see us from the outside as others see us. We are a total after thought. A has been. Our “brand” is dead. Urban Meyer is not coming here.
there are objective measures that say otherwise with regards to our brand

So the 155 million spent on facilities is an after thought? Right now we have many fans who know very little about the in's and out's of the inner workings of program myself included. We really don't know squat about what will happen next but if you believe those in charge of Nebraska's future are settling to become a forever after thought I don't think so.

I'll bet those who decide Nebraska's future in college football are communicating about what needs to happen and when. I doubt they are just sitting around waiting for the next game and the point spread and wondering if the sell out streak will survive. Alberts has laid out metric's as to what has to happen and Frost hasn't been close to those metrics for four years.

Nebraska is bigger than most believe and the revenue it could create is two if not three fold of what it is right now. You offer Meyer a bigger payday than any other coach and he'll come in with smiles on his face, guaranteed.

The good thing about the next payday from the BIG TV contract, approximately 100 million a year is what the share will be. Nebraska will have the cash to spend and that's what the TV executives want, great brands with eye's on the tube. Trust me, the TV executives don't want has been college football program's like Nebraska as viewed by some, they want a power house team resurrected and that will get people watching.

So the 155 million spent on facilities is an after thought? Right now we have many fans who know very little about the in's and out's of the inner workings of program myself included. We really don't know squat about what will happen next but if you believe those in charge of Nebraska's future are settling to become a forever after thought I don't think so.

I'll bet those who decide Nebraska's future in college football are communicating about what needs to happen and when. I doubt they are just sitting around waiting for the next game and the point spread and wondering if the sell out streak will survive. Alberts has laid out metric's as to what has to happen and Frost hasn't been close to those metrics for four years.

Nebraska is bigger than most believe and the revenue it could create is two if not three fold of what it is right now. You offer Meyer a bigger payday than any other coach and he'll come in with smiles on his face, guaranteed.

The good thing about the next payday from the BIG TV contract, approximately 100 million a year is what the share will be. Nebraska will have the cash to spend and that's what the TV executives want, great brands with eye's on the tube. Trust me, the TV executives don't want has been college football program's like Nebraska as viewed by some, they want a power house team resurrected and that will get people watching.
Everyone has $155 million facilities today. Everyone is on TV. Everyone is flush with cash from TV deals. What we need is a coach who is a proven winner at a previously shit school. Because right now, whether we want to admit it or not, we are a shit program. Take off the red colored glasses. I am not here to trash NU football. I have been a rabid fan since 1965 At age 7. Was in Norman in 71 for the game of the century. Miami in 94. You get the picture. I am here trying to knock some reality into people. NU football as we all knew it is dead. We need to get realistic about who our next coach will be. And it isn’t going to be Urban ****ing Meyer

What has Campbell done fo deserve consideration?

Took the worst Power 5 program at the time and led them to 5 straight winning seasons, including one regular-season conference title. Has beaten 4 Top 10-ranked teams.

I think many would like to see what he could do at a program with a lot more resources and ability to bring in higher-rated talent.

I think Meyer is def possible. Fickle and Kiffin would be much harder to get in my opinion. I also like what Chadwell has done at Coastal Carolina. He's possible as well as maybe Campbell.

Basically, Nebraska is going to have a better shot with either up and coming guys, or guys who are just past their prime. To a guy in his prime, Nebraska doesn't seem like a good career move, mostly because it's a difficult job.

But it's still very attractive because of the league, the $, and exposure.. and for the guy who is trying to break in to the bigger picture or who wants to prove himself yet again (i.e. likes challenges) or I suppose to the guy who just needs the money.
Chadwell is a successful G5 coach. Didn't we hire a successful G5 coach if I remember right? Perhaps not all G5 coaches are cut out to be Power 5 coaches.

Urban Meyer the next hire. You watch it will be a 3-5 year deal with options. Unless by a miracle Frost becomes Meyer or Saban overnight which is an impossibility. No need to add your anger Pennsyhusker just a solid rational reply will do. Thank you in advance :)

Reactions: BleedRed78
Chadwell is a successful G5 coach. Didn't we hire a successful G5 coach if I remember right? Perhaps not all G5 coaches are cut out to be Power 5 coaches.
True, but then Chadwell doesn't have the baggage / history with the program that Frost has either

See many people think of Frost's history as a plus, but it's also a minus. I believe if Osborne were not around/alive, Frost would be doing a better job. In fact, as soon as Frost leaves here, he may find immediate success somewhere else, but as a position coach.

You can't underestimate the effect of Osborne watching over your shoulder has on Scott. in my opinion.

Last edited:
Urban Meyer the next hire. You watch it will be a 3-5 year deal with options. Unless by a miracle Frost becomes Meyer or Saban overnight which is an impossibility. No need to add your anger Pennsyhusker just a solid rational reply will do. Thank you in advance :)
There is nothing to respond to. You have offered nothing by way of argument. You just assert that it is going to be Meyer without evidence. And then you accuse me of not being rational. Ha. What a joke. I am not angry or expressing anger. Just being forceful in my argument that folks like you are living on fantasy island. And forceful in my argument that Nebraska football is a pale, pale shadow of its former self.

You are thinking wrong

He has no pressure to win big here just be a 9 win team while making a ton of cash

An idiot coach would turn that down.

Last edited:
True, but then Chadwell doesn't have the baggage / history with the program that Frost has either

See many people think of Frost's history as a plus, but it's also a minus. I believe if Osborne were not around/alive, Frost would be doing a better job. In fact, as soon as Frost leaves here, he may find immediate success somewhere else, but as a position coach.

You can't underestimate the effect of Osborne watching over your shoulder has on Scott. in my opinion.
Osborne needed to step aside and let the AD's and coaches do their job when he retired. Bill Byrne likely would have found a good replacement for Osborne and we wouldn't have all the baggage that we have now.

You are thinking wrong

He has no.m pressure ti win big here just be a 9 win team while making a ton of cash

An idiot coach would turn that down.
In case it escaped your notice, we have a habit of firing coaches who only win 9 games a year.

Urban Meyer is already filthy rich and can make buckets of more money no matter where he goes. Whence comes this stupid idea that Nebraska football is just this bottomless pit of money that can outbid anyone for Meyer‘s services?

Urban Meyer is not going to be our coach.

College football is quickly becoming the haves and have nots. The haves are only the big 10 and sec. NU could probably have a shot at most coaches outside those conferences

Meyer isn't going back in to the sec imo, so he could look at NU job or return to osu as some kind of advisor to Day.

College football is quickly becoming the haves and have nots. The haves are only the big 10 and sec. NU could probably have a shot at most coaches outside those conferences

Meyer isn't going back in to the sec imo, so he could look at NU job or return to osu as some kind of advisor to Day.
Why are you all assuming that Meyer even wants to coach again?

Why are you all assuming that Meyer even wants to coach again?
Meyer is a type A personality. The money is probably not even important to him. He is all about excellence and winning. Gotta put up with some sleaze here and there, but that guy is not going to be happy sitting around on his ass doing whatever, and I don't think it's his style to go out as a loser either. He needs to redeem himself.

In case it escaped your notice, we have a habit of firing coaches who only win 9 games a year.

Urban Meyer is already filthy rich and can make buckets of more money no matter where he goes. Whence comes this stupid idea that Nebraska football is just this bottomless pit of money that can outbid anyone for Meyer‘s services?

If we haven't learned thats a terrible idea why now. We are doomed forever

Meyer is a type A personality. The money is probably not even important to him. He is all about excellence and winning. Gotta put up with some sleaze here and there, but that guy is not going to be happy sitting around on his ass doing whatever, and I don't think it's his style to go out as a loser either. He needs to redeem himself.
That is a good analysis I think. My gut says the same and that someday he may return to coaching. But for now he seems perfectly content with his TV gig and there are no rumors out there of any kind that right now he is considering a return to coaching. All this speculation on here about how all we need to do is open the bottomless checkbook and he will come here is just groundless wishing. And even if he does want to coach again, there will be more jobs open than just Nebraska. He will have his pick of the litter.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
So Solich was set up to fail? How do you figure that. I suppose one could argue that the program was at the top and there was only one way to go. If that's what you meant, OK. He was given the keys to the Caddy, staff, program, support, all the intangibles. Only one problem, the same every other coach has had, he couldn't match his former boss.

People can fault all day long with the hires since Osborne called it quits. Interesting how each had a positive or two but not the entire package. Solich didn't recruit well enough, Bo couldn't get out if his own way, Callahan could recruit but made poor staff hires, and Riley won more than our current HC who gets way more passes than anyone else.

The bottom line in all these hires is what did the AD have to choose from? I mean REALLY choose from, not rumors. I just can't see a beaten path to Lincoln by the top tier if college FB coaches. There are keys than a handful of them anyway.

I am with Pennsy on this. Keep hanging your hat on the "brand" and see how that translates. 20 years of not being discussed will do that.

This is ridiculous on so many levels.

What to people think of Mullen? I think he still is a good coach. You just need someone as DC or OC who is in charge of recruiting.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-13-at-2.18.00-PM.png
He has bad posture

define "win enough"? The expectation should be much higher than just 6 wins and a bowl game. I really want to see solid football along with 8 wins. This is year 5. We should be on the cusp of competing for a Big 10 championship at this point.
I can't read TA's mind, so I don't know. For me it would be at least 7 wins.

define "win enough"? The expectation should be much higher than just 6 wins and a bowl game. I really want to see solid football along with 8 wins. This is year 5. We should be on the cusp of competing for a Big 10 championship at this point.

There is nothing to respond to. You have offered nothing by way of argument. You just assert that it is going to be Meyer without evidence. And then you accuse me of not being rational. Ha. What a joke. I am not angry or expressing anger. Just being forceful in my argument that folks like you are living on fantasy island. And forceful in my argument that Nebraska football is a pale, pale shadow of its former self.
I have offered nothing in argument that you agree with, lets be honest about that. As I've stated, none of us and I mean none of us really know what will transpire this season on and off the field. I have to admit I use Urban Meyer as my number one option but it doesn't mean he will absolutely be hired by Trev Alberts I know that. I said the next HC at Nebraska will be Meyer, but really none of us have a clue as to who it will be not you not me not anyone. I stand by my statement Meyer as the next head coach at least it's who I see, not sure who favor.

Dispute these stats about Urban Meyer and tell me he's not worth going all in for:

1. College football record 187 wins-32 losses
2. Two National Championships
3. 12 bowl wins-3 losses
4. 854 win percentage
5. Record at each coaching stop:
Bowling Green 17-6
Utah 22-2
Florida 65-15 (National Championship)
OSU 83-9 (National Championship)

It's not a matter of outbidding other teams. Like you said, he's got plenty of money. If he wants to coach next year, it will be the school that determines his choice. Right now, all the glamour jobs looked to be locked up for at least two or three years or more. So, what job would be more attractive to him than NU if he wants to get back into coaching next year?

I don't know if he really is looking to coach again, so you may be right. I'm just going with the rumor discussed on the Dan Patrick show to make my case. But if the rumor has some validity, it makes sense that Nebraska would be on his short list.

My speculation is moot however, if SF has a winning record, or if TA is not interested in Urban.

I can see Meyer taking the job. He wasn't cut out to be a pro coach. He can recruit nationally. He'll write his terms in the contract. We just have to pay him.
I’m actually warming up to U. Meyer but Nebraska better hire a dedicated handler to make certain he goes home every night.

I have offered nothing in argument that you agree with, lets be honest about that. As I've stated, none of us and I mean none of us really know what will transpire this season on and off the field. I have to admit I use Urban Meyer as my number one option but it doesn't mean he will absolutely be hired by Trev Alberts I know that. I said the next HC at Nebraska will be Meyer, but really none of us have a clue as to who it will be not you not me not anyone. I stand by my statement Meyer as the next head coach at least it's who I see, not sure who favor.

Dispute these stats about Urban Meyer and tell me he's not worth going all in for:

1. College football record 187 wins-32 losses
2. Two National Championships
3. 12 bowl wins-3 losses
4. 854 win percentage
5. Record at each coaching stop:
Bowling Green 17-6
Utah 22-2
Florida 65-15 (National Championship)
OSU 83-9 (National Championship)
I am disputing the stats. He has 3 National Championships.

Reactions: RedBaloneyPony
So Solich was set up to fail? How do you figure that. I suppose one could argue that the program was at the top and there was only one way to go. If that's what you meant, OK. He was given the keys to the Caddy, staff, program, support, all the intangibles. Only one problem, the same every other coach has had, he couldn't match his former boss.

People can fault all day long with the hires since Osborne called it quits. Interesting how each had a positive or two but not the entire package. Solich didn't recruit well enough, Bo couldn't get out if his own way, Callahan could recruit but made poor staff hires, and Riley won more than our current HC who gets way more passes than anyone else.

The bottom line in all these hires is what did the AD have to choose from? I mean REALLY choose from, not rumors. I just can't see a beaten path to Lincoln by the top tier if college FB coaches. There are keys than a handful of them anyway.

I am with Pennsy on this. Keep hanging your hat on the "brand" and see how that translates. 20 years of not being discussed will do that.
I chuckle every time I read that we can blame Osborne for not allowing the AD to do a real search for a big name coach in 1997. I laugh because it is all hindsight thinking. IN 1997 NU was in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football. Our program was hitting on all cylinders and a great deal of our success had to do with the unique genius of Osborne's unique offense. Nebraska WAS Osborne's offense. Yes, yes, we had a great defense. But that is because we had great athletes and McBride dialed up a blitzing attack defense on the shoulders of a great d-line and corners who could cover in man to man. Therefore, the real uniqueness of Nebraska was that offense. It was our identity and our brand.

So when he knew he was going to retire Osborne wanted to keep the train going just as it had been. And why wouldn't he? It just made sense. And the best way to do that was to hire Solich since he knew the unique offense we were running inside and out. Osborne knew that if you brought in a brand new head coach from outside you were going to get an all new staff most likely and a change of offensive identity. You know... kind of like we got later with Callahan. And Osborne rightly thought that it would be insane to dismantle the single most successful program of the modern era.

Solich turned out to be a not so great recruiter and he got little help from his veteran staff either in that regard. So there was a drop off. But I will contend to my dying day that the biggest tragedy in the history of NU football was firing Solich and replacing him with Callahan. Because in doing that you did more than fire Solich. You fired a tradition of success which was tied to a unique offense that began to take shape in 1978 and which had only gotten better and better over the years. Yes, Solich changed and modified that offense a bit. But it was still the same basic offense.

And notice this as well for all of you who want to blame Osborne for this mess: Since 1997 Osborne was the one who hired our two most successful coaches who never had a losing season and averaged nine wins a year.

Too bad Frosty boy's ego caused him to ignore that legacy and that offense in favor of his Pac 12 basketball on grass notion of offense. How could he possibly have ignored the fact that power, power, power is what made NU great and is what the B1G does well. But Frost wanted to be known as his own offensive genius and he wasn't going to just emulate the Osborne template.

And now he is most likely going to get fired. And our program is a shambles. And people are on here dreaming about spending 100 million to get a coach here who is so lacking in integrity and is a proven liar and a total megalomaniac that he flopped with NFL players he could not bully and intimidate. Imagine what his buyout clause would be and how much it would bankrupt us when it came time to fire him in three years.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT