ADVERTISEMENT

New basketball facilities, fan support, ....

BigRedPimp

All-American
Sep 5, 2006
New basketball facilities, best fan support in a long time (showing signs of fading), 4 years to make progress.

What is missing?

Coaching. Local recruiting base is not a valid excuse when there is talent out there we could use currently that our Coach didn't recruit. He was likely too busy making jokes.

What kid locally could change this team around currently that he didn't recruit ?

We have 7 newcomers and no one to handle the middle. We all feel the frustration. Time fixes some and Coach needs a monster. The available big guys have to see that they are the missing pieces.

Reactions: chicolby
Coaching. Local recruiting base is not a valid excuse when there is talent out there we could use currently that our Coach didn't recruit. He was likely too busy making jokes.
Agree 100%. His act has grown tiring. He needs to produce soon or he needs to move on. I'd like to say this year, but have a feeling he's already lost this one too. Next season or we go a different path.

Agree 100%. His act has grown tiring. He needs to produce soon or he needs to move on. I'd like to say this year, but have a feeling he's already lost this one too. Next season or we go a different path.
His act is about as tired as a Foghat concert...name that movie?

We have 7 newcomers and no one to handle the middle. We all feel the frustration. Time fixes some and Coach needs a monster. The available big guys have to see that they are the missing pieces.
He has had 4 years to find a big. O-fer! The few big guys we have brought in, visited, and chose elsewhere. They should ask themselves why that is.

What kid locally could change this team around currently that he didn't recruit ?
Change the team around? Not sure about that...Thurman, Thomas, and Patton would all be getting minutes. But hey...Miles would rather not fill out the roster for the third straight year!

He has had 4 years to find a big. O-fer! The few big guys we have brought in, visited, and chose elsewhere. They should ask themselves why that is.

Actually 3 years in recruiting..... Have no answer why he hasn't found any players that clog the middle that have soft hand that game score down low other then everyone wants them.

You don't consider Omaha local? Mkkkayy

CU has taken 2 and UNO one (who might not have qualified), in recent years. So I'm saying an Omaha kid isn't necessarily going to put Nebraska #1. A good kid from Omaha will be a recruiting battle as long as CU keeps kicking Nebraska's ass.

CU has taken 2 and UNO one (who might not have qualified), in recent years. So I'm saying an Omaha kid isn't necessarily going to put Nebraska #1. A good kid from Omaha will be a recruiting battle as long as CU keeps kicking Nebraska's ass.
You have to actually recruit them to have a chance.

Change the team around? Not sure about that...Thurman, Thomas, and Patton would all be getting minutes. But hey...Miles would rather not fill out the roster for the third straight year!

And those 3 would fix the main problem down low which is a big reason what this team needs moving forward?

You asked what's missing. That is a huge factor in Nebraska's struggles. Has been for decades.
So we should either hire a coach to a 20 year contract or shut down the program? How long will NU fans keep,using this excuse. Draw a line in the sand or move on. It's debilitating.

And those 3 would fix the main problem down low which is a big reason what this team needs moving forward?
Where did I say it would fix the issues? I said local talent pool is not an excuse when you fail to recruit the best kids from the state the past few years. Would I take Patton over Miles failing to fulfill the roster for the third year? Hell yes. And if we don't land Thomas or another adequate big...we give Miles a pass for failing? Nope.

This is Nebraska. Change coaches all you want, it is still Nebraska basketball. Appreciate a guy who is laying solid ground for the long term, and well respected by his peers.

Where did I say it would fix the issues? I said local talent pool is not an excuse when you fail to recruit the best kids from the state the past few years. Would I take Patton over Miles failing to fulfill the roster for the third year? Hell yes. And if we don't land Thomas or another adequate big...we give Miles a pass for failing? Nope.

Correct. Just thinking about the missing parts.

So we should either hire a coach to a 20 year contract or shut down the program? How long will NU fans keep,using this excuse. Draw a line in the sand or move on. It's debilitating.

I didn't say that. Firing Miles after 4 years would just add to the impression that Nebraska is a basketball coaches graveyard. Miles needs a fair shot, but he needs to make changes in staff and philosophy. If he isn't willing to do that, then he better get guys he needs for his system.

This is Nebraska. Change coaches all you want, it is still Nebraska basketball. Appreciate a guy who is laying solid ground for the long term, and well respected by his peers.
Solid ground? I guess I see it differently. Sorry, this is different. Miles will be making close to 2 million in a couple years and has top notch facilities. And we put out the money to be competitive. No other coach at Nebraska has had that luxury. Going under .500 multiple years in a row is not going to cut it. Next year he needs to show he knows wtf he's doing.

Reactions: Lincoln100
Okay...

So fire him, and get ____. I am sure ____ will meet expectations.
Is there no in between? Does it have to be give him a long leash or fire him? Let's give the guy 10 years and 2 million a year and not expect anything of him! Makes sense.

Unfair comment. Slow Ride never gets old, I want them to play that at my funeral.

So is that you in this Firestone commercial?
slow-ride.jpg

Death by grinning, compliments of Tim Miles. I grin until my fking face muscles look like a talk show hosted by Joan Rivers and Burt Reynolds. And my laugh is as infectious as the black death. What a card that Tim Miles character is..

Okay...

So fire him, and get ____. I am sure ____ will meet expectations.

Greg Marshall
Ben Jacobson
Greg Gard
T. J. Otzelberger

You guys could probably land any is these with a little $$$. The problem is these guys know more about basketball and less about cracking jokes and sending out a sweet tweet at halftime. In all fairness with the nice crop of players on the current roster you now have to give Miles 3-4 more years with this group.

Isn't Men's Basketball only fifth or maybe even sixth in importance at the University of Nebraska?

1. Football
2. Volleyball
3. Football Fall Practice
4. Football Winter Conditioning/Spring Practice
5. Men's Basketball, Baseball, or Wrestling

Winking

It might be in Neb but if you have a top 20 BB program you are cheating period. That is AAU bb is about

Reactions: huskerssalts
we got a top notch Point Gaurd in Watson, for this and next year a lights out shooter in White (dudes a beast, he can shoot, jump out of the building, rebound and has good size) and appears we have a good power forward in Marrow, then next year we ad Robey with Horne and Gill finally gets to suit up (never seen him play, is he a mix between Watson and White? I HEARD he was a pure shooter? ). We are only missing a true Center. Are we just not after enough of these guys at this position or just having terrible luck closing on one? I'd assume it can't be that hard to close on a center that has size and can at least defend, hell he don't need to shoot, we got some shooters already; White, Gill, Watson and McVeigh. There's got to be one 6'10 or bigger center that can play defense that we can land. ain't there?

Greg Marshall
Ben Jacobson
Greg Gard
T. J. Otzelberger

You guys could probably land any is these with a little $$$. The problem is these guys know more about basketball and less about cracking jokes and sending out a sweet tweet at halftime. In all fairness with the nice crop of players on the current roster you now have to give Miles 3-4 more years with this group.

LOL @ Greg Marshall. He has/had his pick of any major job in the country, and he'd pick freaking Nebrasketball? Why?

Ben Jacobson is also a pipe dream (and very well might end up as Wisconsin's coach if they pass on Gard).

You might have a shot at the other two.

LOL @ Greg Marshall. He has/had his pick of any major job in the country, and he'd pick freaking Nebrasketball? Why?

Ben Jacobson is also a pipe dream (and very well might end up as Wisconsin's coach if they pass on Gard).

You might have a shot at the other two.
You two may have better luck whacking off about Nebraska constantly on the Iowa board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT