ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Fans- We No Longer Have to Lie to Ourselves

davecisar

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 9, 2010
With Scott Frost as our Head Coach- dedicated Nebraska Football fans no longer have to lie to ourselves about our coach. It's great to no longer have to :KNOW you are wrong but have no other choice but to continually lie to yourself about the program you love.

I heard Nick Bahe talk about this yesterday on his show- good insight.

For the last 14 years or so- most of us have had to lie to ourselves when it came to our expectations that our beloved football program was going to be successful- or even "alright"

We got Callahan after a botched firing and hiring process, that saw a number of average coaches turn us down. BC- someone who was hell bent on burning all the bridges and turning NU into a mini NFL Franchise. We had to lie to ourselves then, BC had been to a Super Bowl. We looked past the fact he lost his team and got fired, knew little about DI College Football, was arrogant and could care less about our history, our strengths, our programs integrity and the fan base.

I HOPED the narrative would work, I never believed it would. I always supported the kids- supported the coaches for awhile- but it became harder and harder for me to accept the lie I was trying to sell to myself- and in the end I got real and was happy when BC and company were shown the door.

Then we got Pelini. We were sold that we needed something different, a defensive genius who understood Nebraska. We were asked to look past the fact that he had no head coaching experience and to look past his immaturity and anger issues (Kstate incident and firing #1 backlash).

I HOPED the narrative would work and supported the coach and team. Let him have time to grow and mature. Yep, he had some success, but he had a number of failures as well. In the end he didnt grow as a coach and his immaturity and anger created a toxic environment that was unsustainable and detrimental to the University and the football program. It became harder and harder to sell the Pelini narrative to myself every year. In the end it was a relief not to have to try and sell that lie to myself. Pelini was never going to be a great coach, grow the program and rep the University well.

Then we got Mike Riley. Like many I had to do a google search. After a non-search by an AD who had ZERO experience in hiring coaches, we got an Oregon State castoff who we were told was an overachiever. He had been .500 at an Oregon State program that had no facilities and no athletes. All this 60 year old man needed was a chance at a place like NU where we had great facilities and the ability to draw better players. He had a great positive attitude, would embrace the fans and the University. I supported the team and coach.

With a unique recruiting approach, he was going to make NU competitive again. This wasn't going to be Callahan WCO #2, they were going to run the ball and work with what we had (bold faced lie) Originally we were told this wasn't a rebuild, all we had to do was clean up the turnovers and silly mistakes Bo's teams seemed to always make and we would be back on top.

I HOPED the narrative would work. But deep down inside I knew it wouldn't, this was another lie I would have to tell myself to get myself to think we were climbing back to playing good football. This lie was a whopper, the big one. Something I knew right away was a lie. I looked hard for evidence this lie wasn't a lie. A small sign of progress here, a recruit signed up there, an expert who said all Mike Riley needed was more time- we were on the right path. But that lie was easy to expose with all the meaningless hard fought close wins against bottom feeders and the blowout losses to everyone else.

Scott Frost is different.
I no longer have to tell myself the type of lies I had to tell myself about all these other flawed coaches.
When I see Scott Frost I don't have to lie to myself
He is everything we want and need as a coach
I no longer have to HOPE the narrative isn't another lie- or in the case of our previous coaches- tell myself a bold faced lie so that I would have hope our program is headed in the right direction.
I have complete confidence in this guy and am totally convinced he is the perfect fit at the right time- to not only return NU back to competitiveness, But back to greatness.

When I watched him at the Press Conference, I was 100% blown away. The way he articulated the whys and hows of how he will make NU great again. This is a polished, sincere CEO who is also a great coach. He is a 42 year old version of Tom Osborne- who lives and gets 2017 College Football.

It's great not to have to :KNOW you are wrong but have no other choice but to lie to yourself about the program you love.

Bahe talks too much about basketball, but he nailed this one- No one else had this perspective. I recognised that this is exactly how I felt too.

Last edited:
With Scott Frost as our Head Coach- dedicated Nebraska Football fans no longer have to lie to ourselves about our coach. It's great to no longer have to :KNOW you are wrong but have no other choice but to continually lie to yourself about the program you love.

I heard Nick Bahe talk about this yesterday on his show- good insight.

For the last 14 years or so- most of us have had to lie to ourselves when it came to our expectations that our beloved football program was going to be successful- or even "alright"

We got Callahan after a botched firing and hiring process, that saw a number of average coaches turn us down. BC- someone who was hell bent on burning all the bridges and turning NU into a mini NFL Franchise. We had to lie to ourselves then, BC had been to a Super Bowl. We looked past the fact he lost his team and got fired, knew little about DI College Football, was arrogant and could care less about our history, our strengths, our programs integrity and the fan base.

I HOPED the narrative would work, I never believed it would. I always supported the kids- supported the coaches for awhile- but it became harder and harder for me to accept the lie I was trying to sell to myself- and in the end I got real and was happy when BC and company were shown the door.

Then we got Pelini. We were sold that we needed something different, a defensive genius who understood Nebraska. We were asked to look past the fact that he had no head coaching experience and to look past his immaturity and anger issues (Kstate incident and firing #1 backlash).

I HOPED the narrative would work and supported the coach and team. Let him have time to grow and mature. Yep, he had some success, but he had a number of failures as well. In the end he didnt grow as a coach and his immaturity and anger created a toxic environment that was unsustainable and detrimental to the University and the football program. It became harder and harder to sell the Pelini narrative to myself every year. In the end it was a relief not to have to try and sell that lie to myself. Pelini was never going to be a great coach, grow the program and rep the University well.

Then we got Mike Riley. Like many I had to do a google search. After a non-search by an AD who had ZERO experience in hiring coaches, we got an Oregon State castoff who we were told was an overachiever. He had been .500 at an Oregon State program that had no facilities and no athletes. All this 60 year old man needed was a chance at a place like NU where we had great facilities and the ability to draw better players. He had a great positive attitude, would embrace the fans and the University. I supported the team and coach.

With a unique recruiting approach, he was going to make NU competitive again. This wasn't going to be Callahan WCO #2, they were going to run the ball and work with what we had (bold faced lie) Originally we were told this wasn't a rebuild, all we had to do was clean up the turnovers and silly mistakes Bo's teams seemed to always make and we would be back on top.

I HOPED the narrative would work. But deep down inside I knew it wouldn't, this was another lie I would have to tell myself to get myself to think we were climbing back to playing good football. This lie was a whopper, the big one. Something I knew right away was a lie. I looked hard for evidence this lie wasn't a lie. A small sign of progress here, a recruit signed up there, an expert who said all Mike Riley needed was more time- we were on the right path. But that lie was easy to expose with all the meaningless hard fought close wins against bottom feeders and the blowout losses to everyone else.

Scott Frost is different.
I no longer have to tell myself the type of lies I had to tell myself about all these other flawed coaches.
When I see Scott Frost I don't have to lie to myself
He is everything we want and need as a coach
I no longer have to HOPE the narrative isn't another lie- or in the case of our previous coaches- tell myself a bold faced lie so that I would have hope our program is headed in the right direction.
I have complete confidence in this guy and am totally convinced he is the perfect fit at the right time- to not only return NU back to competitiveness, But back to greatness.

When I watched him at the Press Conference, I was 100% blown away. The way he articulated the whys and hows of how he will make NU great again. This is a polished, sincere CEO who is also a great coach. He is a 42 year old version of Tom Osborne- who lives and gets 2017 College Football.

It's great not to have to :KNOW you are wrong but have no other choice but to lie to yourself about the program you love.

Bahe talks too much about basketball, but he nailed this one- No one else had this perspective. I recognised that this is exactly how I felt too.
And like Scott said, we aren’t going to win every game. We’re going to get our heads handed to us a few times, I’m sure. But it won’t be because of a lack of effort. This truly is a rebuilding process but with a lot more confidence of what can be. GBR.

Reactions: davecisar
I think some very positive things are happening right now. However, do I "know " that Nebraska is on some certain path to football dominance?? No.

It's possible that SF comes in and wins 75% of his games but the hardware still eludes them. We'll know come 2020 what we have. I'm optimistic but I don't believe this is some kind of eventual certainty.

Reactions: Wing-Back
He is here because he wants to be here - Unlike Callahan, Unlike Riley and unlike Pelini( after he had been here) This guy came here over multiple other options.

he knows the culture, he knows the state and understands the fans. On top of all that he is a terrific football coach. This hire is as good as it gets for us.

As a long time fan I saw mistake after mistake by this administration keep pushing this program lower and lower each passing year. Now they have gotten it right, it restores my faith we have the right leadership in place. There was definitely a confluence of events that got us here so some of this even has a karmic feel to it.

Fans are supportive in this state and now better than at anytime maybe understand this will take some time and will have the faith that the leadership is making progress. So while we can hope for immediate results on the field I am content that the process is in place and this is what makes it easy to be a fan. At least for me it could not have come at better time, I had about had it with all their stupid decisions and behind the scenes politics in the program that were driving this program into the mud.

Finally!!!!

Go Scottie we are behind you buddy

Hoping we found our Bob Stoops. It took OU 3 Head Coaching changes before they landed their guy..

Blake left OU with very good players not saying Riley has left us with anything but we have a bigger rebuilding job and things won't turn around like they did for OU in Stoops first year by winning a National title their last one to be exact..

Biggest thing we need to do is have patience and understand since we hit rock bottom it's going to take some time for this program to evolve too being the kind of Nebraska team we have been accustomed to.

I don't think we lied to ourselves, we just truly believed the leaders of the University had her best interest at heart. It took time to sink in that we were being lead by overpaid incompetent assholes.

We had to lose everything until one of our own returned. Thanks Coach Frost for coming home! Thanks to Dr Tom for making the call.

Our floundering days are gone,our struggle reminds me of a line from the Grateful Dead: Truckin',
"Lately it occurred to me what a long strange trip it's been."

GBR!!

Reactions: otismotis08
Callahan just wanted a job. I think Riley was in the same boat - one last adventure is not 'I want Nebraska to win the Big 10'. Pelini wanted to be at Nebraska - but he saw it as a stepping stone to something else. In particular when it looked like Ohio State was going to look for a coach. It impacted alot of what he did - and being a guy to wear his emotion on his sleeve...it was pretty clear he was an angry prick head coach. His inability to contain the a-hole within means he probably will never get a chance to be head coach at a Power 5 school. YSU is probably the right level - but eventually somebody outside the Power 5 may take a chance on him - especially in the MAC. Where he can coach against his old boss Solich.

Reactions: davecisar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT