ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska … they were everywhere

Encouraging to see the staff making such an effort. At some point as fans we have to realize that it won’t be a light switch that turns us into division/conference champs. In the near term we have to “trust the work” of the staff and ask are the steps they are taking now going to make us a better football team in the future? Everything I see is pointing to that being the case, so now, since results aren’t available I will trust the work of the staff.

The change in systems on both sides of the ball cause me to moderate my expectations. Hopefully Rhule can get us bowling and above .500 this first year. Callahan’s crew busted their asses recruiting too. Pelini’s not so much other than Beck.

I get what you're saying but if there is ever a case to be made about "addition by subtraction" this is probably it.

Reactions: Laner2 and SkerInCo
The change in systems on both sides of the ball cause me to moderate my expectations. Hopefully Rhule can get us bowling and above .500 this first year. Callahan’s crew busted their asses recruiting too. Pelini’s not so much other than Beck.
Rhule is building a foundation. I can be patient when someone works as hard as this staff does.

When Carl wasn't distracted by the tail chasing, he did pretty good on the recruiting trail.

We have the easiest pre-conf schedule in modern times and our overall schedule going into the season ranks 106th … we only have one team on the schedule that isn’t garbage

8-9 wins or they underachieved

Phil Steele strength of schedule ranking - big ten:

Fs0SwB_XoAAxP2Q

I agree about tempering our enthusiasm a bit since it will take time for the players to learn the new systems in an effective way. I just hope fans have patience and do not melt down if we start 0-2. I think by the midpoint of the season is when we will see players executing the new system with confidence, If we start off the season at 4-0 I will be thrilled, It could lead to a 10-2 or 9-3 season. But I suspect we will start out 2-2 or 3-1.

I agree about tempering our enthusiasm a bit since it will take time for the players to learn the new systems in an effective way. I just hope fans have patience and do not melt down if we start 0-2. I think by the midpoint of the season is when we will see players executing the new system with confidence, If we start off the season at 4-0 I will be thrilled, It could lead to a 10-2 or 9-3 season. But I suspect we will start out 2-2 or 3-1.
I appreciate the thought, Penny - but I am going to go ahead and freak out if we start 0-2 :).

OTOH - if we start 2-0, I’m buying playoff tickets.

An offense and defense that play in new systems with consistency and high motivation will be better than whatever we've been seeing for the past several years.

The opener at Minnesota and Colorado are huge games. If we start 2-0 there is a very good chance we are 4-0 and ranked heading into the Michigan game. I think we get blown out by Michigan, Illinois is losing a lot and Northwestern is really falling behind in the NIL era. I think we should at least split the next 4 of ILL, NU, Purdue, Michigan State, That's got us at 6 wins going into November, think we win at least 1 out of the 3 of Maryland, Wisconsin, and Iowa. I think a bowl game is probable next year which at this point is all we can ask for.

The opener at Minnesota and Colorado are huge games. If we start 2-0 there is a very good chance we are 4-0 and ranked heading into the Michigan game. I think we get blown out by Michigan, Illinois is losing a lot and Northwestern is really falling behind in the NIL era. I think we should at least split the next 4 of ILL, NU, Purdue, Michigan State, That's got us at 6 wins going into November, think we win at least 1 out of the 3 of Maryland, Wisconsin, and Iowa. I think a bowl game is probable next year which at this point is all we can ask for.
We ain’t getting blown out by anyone.

“we are going to win and we are going to win now” - Matt Rhule

(No bed-wetting about changing systems and hoping to go .500)

Few fan bases have become more comfortable with losing than many of our “fans”

It would be embarrassing for a program like Iowa let alone what some consider a blue blood

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I really hope we beat both Wisconsin and Iowa. That would really put an exclamation point on the season and probably get us into a good bowl game. We need to start beating these kinds of teams with great regularity since with the addition of USC and UCLA things are only going to get tougher. Rhule is either going to raise us to that level and make us one of the upper echelon teams in the B1G, or we will gravitate back to the Pelini years of beating everyone except the teams at the top. I doubt we will fall into the Riley/Frost pit of awfulness, but who knows? But hope springs eternal and I am always optimistic at the start of each season.

Yeah the Frosturbators loved to say he needed like 10 years because things were supposedly so bad (they weren’t). Same guys should be saying minimum 20 years now. Dirty Scott and the boys completely trashed their ****pad

Yeah the Frosturbators loved to say he needed like 10 years because things were supposedly so bad (they weren’t). Same guys should be saying minimum 20 years now. Dirty Scott and the boys completely trashed their ****pad
In fairness, it certainly did appear that the team wasn’t a team when frost arrived. The guys liked Riley and it seemed evident. Not everyone was on board. It made sense to many (including myself) that it would take some time to weed out the rot.

The problem turned out to be we didn’t know the source of the rot was frost. Hind sight will always be 20/20. We all should have seen it, but koolaid is a powerful drug in Nebraska.

You were among those who saw through that. I didn’t. Didn’t want to either. It had to be frost who would bring us back.

I’m so happy to have Rhule and the gang coaching Nebraska now.

In fairness, it certainly did appear that the team wasn’t a team when frost arrived. The guys liked Riley and it seemed evident. Not everyone was on board. It made sense to many (including myself) that it would take some time to weed out the rot.

The problem turned out to be we didn’t know the source of the rot was frost. Hind sight will always be 20/20. We all should have seen it, but koolaid is a powerful drug in Nebraska.

You were among those who saw through that. I didn’t. Didn’t want to either. It had to be frost who would bring us back.

Frost reciprocated by shit talking the former regime and then leaned on the failure of his predecessor when faced with his own non-performance. Rhule came in and had a blank slate policy. It looks like Rhule is working to find an offensive and defensive approach that will increase probability of success in the league, as opposed to thinking the other teams will have to adjust to his way.

Sorry, but I'm melting down if we lose to sCUm. No excuse there.

Sorry, but I'm melting down if we lose to sCUm. No excuse there.
Agree … the bloom is off the rose if we lose this game

Colorado was in a much worse condition than we were in almost every objective category

If Deion Sanders has his team more prepared than Rhule and wins this game then Rhule, his staff and Trev should forfeit their 2023 salaries

I get the feeling from the coaches that they are more concerned about the players playing to their athleticism and not necessarily to the scheme. This was similar to what Busch did last year on the D and had great results.

I think the results will be similar again this year but higher. The offense will have competent leadership and a vision of who they are and the defense will just flat-out fly to the ball. It has been almost a decade of competent coaches guiding this team. I believe the talent that is and will be here on opening day will be playing at level fans have not seen in an extremely long time. They will lose some games, but it won't be from incompetent coaching or not being prepared properly. Good times are ahead.

Next week there will be players announcing for the portal, be prepared for names that may shock you (I know of no one). I think there will be some players not wanting to pay the price for a winning atmosphere.

I think the Big Ten West is a bit unfairly maligned. It’s not the SEC West, but it’s not the Sun Belt either. It has several good but not great teams. Last year, 5 of the 7 teams won at least 7 games. In 2021, 4 teams won at least 9 games. The teams that haven’t held up their end of the bargain the last two years are Nebraska and Northwestern. Having said that, there’s no excuse for Nebraska constantly losing to these teams. Nebraska should be doing as well if not better than them. Hopefully, Rhule fixes this.

Frost reciprocated by shit talking the former regime and then leaned on the failure of his predecessor when faced with his own non-performance. Rhule came in and had a blank slate policy. It looks like Rhule is working to find an offensive and defensive approach that will increase probability of success in the league, as opposed to thinking the other teams will have to adjust to his way.
I agree 100%. No arguments from me here.

Reactions: Truewooper

Yeah I can’t get with the “it was evident the guys liked Riley”….
Who the hell were they? The few that Dirty Scott and the boys didn’t run off and trash? Or the few that stayed and were anchors of his defense for 4 years?

Yeah I can’t get with the “it was evident the guys liked Riley”….
Who the hell were they? The few that Dirty Scott and the boys didn’t run off and trash? Or the few that stayed and were anchors of his defense for 4 years?
That’s a good point… They certainly controlled the narrative. at the same time, you either believed Frost and Company, or you saw the truth. A lot of this was fabricated. I would say a lot of people did not want to believe the fabrication. I know I didn’t want to believe it.

As an optimist, I always tried to put the best construction on things. I’ve been wrong a lot more than I’ve been right over the last 10 years or so.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree … the bloom is off the rose if we lose this game

Colorado was in a much worse condition than we were in almost every objective category

If Deion Sanders has his team more prepared than Rhule and wins this game then Rhule, his staff and Trev should forfeit their 2023 salaries
You say silly things. Go back on your meds

Rhule is building a foundation. I can be patient when someone works as hard as this staff does.
We have no choice. Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy. And I think he’s a hard worker. Just worried about the staff missing a closer. Had all that talent visit in March and couldn’t land any big fish. I’m a bit tired of “almost” or “good tries”

Also made me question the recruiting coordinator’s intelligence if he thought going to a colllege baseball game on Friday night would excite 17 year olds that weren’t from Nebraska. 17 year olds want to have fun and see girls, not old people. Most 17 year old kids think watching baseball is boring even the ones that play baseball.

I don’t know who was in charge of planning their stay. Staff got an A+ for getting them here but D- for execution. What a lame visit they had planned for them.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT