ADVERTISEMENT

These were Classics!

Possibly the best two CFP semi finals games ever? My memory is fuzzy. I know there were a couple great National Title games, other semifinal matchups aren’t coming to mind.
Georgia vs Oklahoma rose bowl

Reactions: HuskAir
The two 1-loss teams lost (as they should have). FSU should have been in there. I will not be celebrating these games.
The four team playoff was supposed to ensure that all undefeated teams make the playoffs. The way it worked out this year, the old two team playoff would have worked just as well. Michigan and Washington would have been selected and Florida State would have still been left out.

I don't have any confidence that the 12 team system will be any better than an 8 team system (other than making more money). There's a non-zero percent chance that a 9th-12th seed will win a championship in any given year. But if it ever happens it will be something like a 3 loss Alabama team that didn't deserve to even make it to begin with.

Last edited:
The four team playoff was supposed to ensure that all undefeated teams make the playoffs. The way it worked out this year, the old two team playoff would have worked just as well. Michigan and Washington would have been selected and Florida State would have still been left out.

I don't have any confidence that the 12 team system will be any better than an 8 team system (other than making more money). There's a non-zero percent chance that a 9th-12th seed will win a championship in any given year. But if it ever happens it will be something like a 3 loss Alabama team that didn't deserve to even make it to begin with.
Yeah, people are saying the the 12 team format will avoid what happened this year, which is true - major conference winners will all make the playoffs. However, the SEC will be arguing that their 2-5 teams are better than any other potential wildcard teams, and that most of these teams (who may not have even played in the CCG) should host a game in the first round.

Yeah, people are saying the the 12 team format will avoid what happened this year, which is true - major conference winners will all make the playoffs. However, the SEC will be arguing that their 2-5 teams are better than any other potential wildcard teams, and that most of these teams (who may not have even played in the CCG) should host a game in the first round.

No doubt, bubble teams are still going to get argued about whether it's 2, 4, 12 or whatever. This won't solve that. It'll just move it down a few slots

Yep. There will also be complaints about seeding, etc.

Like I said before, theres no reason oregon should have potentially had a third shot at washington. Washington should not have to beat a team three times. It devalues the regular season tremendously and cheapens the end result. People would undoubtedly say “2-1”.
Same would have happened with georgia bama a few years ago.

Most years there arent four deserving teams. This year was a anomaly. I wish we just had a +1 system if needed but the paste is out of the tube.

One thing that will help with this, however, is that soon conference title games will be a thing of the past so it will be impossible to play 3 times. Sad ccg will go away but its inevitable.

Reactions: Dean Pope
No doubt, bubble teams are still going to get argued about whether it's 2, 4, 12 or whatever. This won't solve that. It'll just move it down a few slots
Look at basketball. Going way back here but the NCAA basketball tourney used to be 32 teams and you had to win your conference tourney. It went to 48 and accepted at large teams. This made conference tournament championship games much less significant and lowered the status of the NIT tourney from prestigious to the same level as a mid-December bowl game. After a few years, they had to go to 64 because "deserving" teams were left out. And now of course, that 65th team was really getting the shaft so March Madness is up to 68 teams. Basketball is different obviously because a 64th seed can compete with a one seed without being physically overwhelmed like in football. But one seeds have only lost 1% of the time.

The 12 team playoff was a convenient way to add another week of TV revenue to the mix and nothing more. I am not anxiously waiting to hear ESPN campaign for that fifth SEC team to get in over a one loss Big 12 team.

Like I said before, theres no reason oregon should have potentially had a third shot at washington. Washington should not have to beat a team three times. It devalues the regular season tremendously and cheapens the end result. People would undoubtedly say “2-1”.

Most years there arent four deserving teams. This year was a anomaly. I wish we just had a +1 system if needed but the paste is out of the tube.

One thing that will help with this, however, is that soon conference title games will be a thing of the past so it will be impossible to play 3 times. Sad ccg will go away but its inevitable.
Agree.

Also, a good amount of the whining about teams that should have made it, comes after the games are played when one or both of the games are blowouts and someone from 5-8 starts yapping about how they would have been more deserving and put up a better game.

Another gripe going forward will be the matchups and conference teams playing each other in the first round.

One of 2 things will happen, they will put in a rule that it can't happen OR the committee will just finagle the rating to avoid those matchups. This year for example,

Georgia would have played Ole Miss and Penn St would have played Ohio St in the first round. Both would have been rematches from games played in November.

Look at basketball. Going way back here but the NCAA basketball tourney used to be 32 teams and you had to win your conference tourney. It went to 48 and accepted at large teams. This made conference tournament championship games much less significant and lowered the status of the NIT tourney from prestigious to the same level as a mid-December bowl game. After a few years, they had to go to 64 because "deserving" teams were left out. And now of course, that 65th team was really getting the shaft so March Madness is up to 68 teams. Basketball is different obviously because a 64th seed can compete with a one seed without being physically overwhelmed like in football. But one seeds have only lost 1% of the time.

The 12 team playoff was a convenient way to add another week of TV revenue to the mix and nothing more. I am not anxiously waiting to hear ESPN campaign for that fifth SEC team to get in over a one loss Big 12 team.

Yep, and I watch about 3 dribbles of basketball during the regular season because of it.

Agree.

Also, a good amount of the whining about teams that should have made it, comes after the games are played when one or both of the games are blowouts and someone from 5-8 starts yapping about how they would have been more deserving and put up a better game.
The whining and complaining will increase many times over with 12 teams getting in instead of 4.

Because the further down the ladder you go, a greater number of teams can "lay claim" to the last spot or two.

Under the BCS, only 2 teams made it in. Realistically, the whining and complaining was confined to the #3 team most of the time.

Now it's expanded to 4. This year Georgia and FSU were the teams "left out".

As soon as it expands to 12, the teams of every fan base in the top 20 who got "snubbed" are going to be crying. (Evidence: ESPN already has time slots reserved for the day of and day after the March Madness bracket being set, for analysis of which teams were "snubbed" out of making a 68 team field).

You'll hear that this is great for the sport as it increases fan interest. Maybe it does. But it will certainly increase, and not decrease, the amount of complaining about teams that were not given a shot at the playoffs.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Agree.

There is no perfect system.
I acknowledge that any system I would employ is not perfect either.
We need to find the best system that gets players playing and protects the regular season, imo.
I happen to feel the old system, despite its flaws and needing a tweak or two, was the best. The system that built college football. This is based on evidence. Its not coming back, though. Gone forever.
My issue is people fail to look at the big picture. 12 teams will not be perfect, just as four teams wasnt.

The best option is probably the old way with a +1 option if needed or voted on. Perfect? No. But better than the playoff with a bunch of undeserving teams. But logistics regarding scheduling, stadium, and tv prevent it from happening. Networks etc get in the way of the best system but i guess you gotta sell the product.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
The whining and complaining will increase many times over with 12 teams getting in instead of 4.

Because the further down the ladder you go, a greater number of teams can "lay claim" to the last spot or two.

Under the BCS, only 2 teams made it in. Realistically, the whining and complaining was confined to the #3 team most of the time.

Now it's expanded to 4. This year Georgia and FSU were the teams "left out".

As soon as it expands to 12, the teams of every fan base in the top 20 who got "snubbed" are going to be crying. (Evidence: ESPN already has time slots reserved for the day of and day after the March Madness bracket being set, for analysis of which teams were "snubbed" out of making a 68 team field).

You'll hear that this is great for the sport as it increases fan interest. Maybe it does. But it will certainly increase, and not decrease, the amount of complaining about teams that were not given a shot at the playoffs.
Correct.
Washington and michigan should have been playing in the rose bowl for the NC to start with.
In the future a hypothetical washington might have to beat oregon a third time or mich will have to dispatch osu again, with osu getting an extra game rest. Why even play that first game, then?

Reactions: Mack In Motion

A lot of conference title games were a joke. Just the best team whooping a mediocre team from a bad division.

Yesterday was amazing from a competive standpoint. Now imagine Georgia, FSU, OSU, and Oregon thrown in the mix.

A lot of conference title games were a joke. Just the best team whooping a mediocre team from a bad division.

Yesterday was amazing from a competive standpoint. Now imagine Georgia, FSU, OSU, and Oregon thrown in the mix.
I dont need oregon thrown in the mix. They lost twice to a deserving team. The regular season eliminated them.
Georgia was in a playoff game. In atlanta. They lost and were eliminated.
We’ve had “amazing” with other systems too.

Not saying the 12 team isnt going to be good in its own way, but tere are flaws, too, and lots of amnesia about the past.

I dont need oregon thrown in the mix. They lost twice to a deserving team. The regular season eliminated them.
Georgia was in a playoff game. In atlanta. They lost and were eliminated.
We’ve had “amazing” with other systems too.

Not saying the 12 team isnt going to be good in its own way, but tere are flaws, too, and lots of amnesia about the past.
Michigan still gets to claim their little share of the 1997 title when everyone knows they would have been smashed. I don't ever want a situation like that again. Some people also didn't want OSU in the year they won it.

It isn't entertainment, bitch. It's a sport. A competition. And little bitches like you ruin it from competitors who earned the right to compete.
sports are entertainment, fatass

this isn't geopolitical posturing, sports are played to have fun, and observed to have fun.

you're not a hardass or a more invested fan because you're choosing a weird hill to die on.

Under the 12 team playoff, Oklahoma is crying about Liberty getting in ahead of them.

It isn't entertainment, bitch. It's a sport. A competition. And little bitches like you ruin it from competitors who earned the right to compete.
giphy.webp

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
In the end, the committee with all their flaws "generally" gets it right with the four best teams. The four best teams will still be the four best teams next year. I disagree that the committee is looking for the undefeated teams - where does that leave Liberty and UCF among others? They have so much data to look at it unreal. The average person would drown in it. It isn't enough to run for 300 yards against a team, you need data on how they did against others and how others did against others and so on.

What is everyone going to say when they expand it and the top four are in the semis more time than not? I guess it gives the "the fix is in" crowd something to believe in then.

Michigan still gets to claim their little share of the 1997 title when everyone knows they would have been smashed. I don't ever want a situation like that again. Some people also didn't want OSU in the year they won it.
Has nothing to do with my point.

To your point about michigan…big deal? Interesting debate.

+1 format would fix it (but wont happen)

Possibly the best two CFP semi finals games ever? My memory is fuzzy. I know there were a couple great National Title games, other semifinal matchups aren’t coming to mind.
Last years were good as well. Minus the final

You’re really going for it. Kinda funny though
I don't think we should be fielding or seeding a playoff on how entertaining it would be. I'm for merit. Especially when it comes to sports.

I didn't think you would be one who is fine with turning football into a reality TV show.

Reactions: moralvictories
Next year, the 12 team playoff is going to be so fun.

Maybe they announced it and I missed it but I wonder how they will space out the games for TV.

The first round will be 8 teams so 4 games.

All four first round games on a Saturday? noon, 2pm, 5pm and 8pm?

Reactions: SickOfPractice
Next year, the 12 team playoff is going to be so fun.

Maybe they announced it and I missed it but I wonder how they will space out the games for TV.

The first round will be 8 teams so 4 games.

All four first round games on a Saturday? noon, 2pm, 5pm and 8pm?
2024 Season
  • First Round (On-Campus)
    • Friday, December 20, 2024: One Game (evening)
    • Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)
  • Quarterfinals
    • Tuesday, December 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
    • Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
  • Semifinals
    • Thursday, January 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening)
    • Friday, January 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)
  • CFP National Championship
    • Monday, January 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia

Reactions: SickOfPractice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT