ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi discusses Mark Whipple

See, I think Frost is irrelevant and isn't going to be here in 3 years anyway. This is all a transition to MJ's team in my opinion.

I don't mind us throwing the ball a lot, but some people won't ever be happy unless we can run it well too.

If we can turn around the win column this year, that would be great and I'm all for it.. I still don't think Frost will be here in 3 years.

TA has a vision of where this needs to go, and drunk bar Scotty isn't in that vision.

Just my opinion of course.
I have to ask, what makes so many think MJ would be a great HC? Evidence? Besides he has coached and recruited some great talent at WR. I am not saying he won't be the next great one at Nebraska but what are the signs?

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I have to ask, what makes so many think MJ would be a great HC? Evidence? Besides he has coached and recruited some great talent at WR. I am not saying he won't be the next great one at Nebraska but what are the signs?
Oh you're probably not going to like this answer, but I will answer it the best I can. Similar to what Whipple said about how he chooses his QB.. he says "by feel" mostly.

How do I quantify that? It's difficult to do, but I think I'm fairly intuitive about people. I could see the AM disaster his first year, and everyone called me crazy when I predicted we would go through 4 years of this with him, and that's sort of how it turned out. It was little details and intuition, while others were eating the heisman hype, I didn't see that at all.

MJ, specifically is a good talker and recruiter. We don't know how he will perform here yet, but he certainly performed at LSU. Recruiting wise, his performance shows here already.

In listening to him during certain interviews, and from players/recruits speaking about their interactions with him, he seems to represent a good father figure/role model for kids, and I always like seeing that in coaches.

Is he cut out for a more ceo type role? I don't have enough data on that to know, but he does know not to say the wrong things, so that shows me he's socially aware in what he says and knowing people will analyze everything.

I get the impression he's a clean guy, meaning no alcohol or drugs. At least we are not getting bar reports concerning him, like maybe someone else.

While I can sympathize with a guy going through that kind thing, I also know how much this impacts decision making and performance.

Finally, it's also vibe. He's going places, recruits sense this, as do the fans.

I don't think TA is interested in revamping the whole staff again and going through a big expensive change. It's easier to promote from within and keeps a lot of continuity vs throwing out the head coach and the whole staff.

So that is my gut feeling on it. If I'm wrong, that's okay. It's a message board for these discussions.

I'm a lifelong fan.. you can just use the ignore button.. doesn't hurt anybody and I'm not going to be upset. I was a big Bo fan too, so we got something in common.
I just couldn’t resist the last part on Just my opinion, I understand it’s a message board, people want to criticize Frost on his coaching, nobody can argue that.I got on you for taking a personal shot at him with the Drunk remark,, I am also a lifelong fan sit in the Stadium every Saturday.

Oh you're probably not going to like this answer, but I will answer it the best I can. Similar to what Whipple said about how he chooses his QB.. he says "by feel" mostly.

How do I quantify that? It's difficult to do, but I think I'm fairly intuitive about people. I could see the AM disaster his first year, and everyone called me crazy when I predicted we would go through 4 years of this with him, and that's sort of how it turned out. It was little details and intuition, while others were eating the heisman hype, I didn't see that at all.

MJ, specifically is a good talker and recruiter. We don't know how he will perform here yet, but he certainly performed at LSU. Recruiting wise, his performance shows here already.

In listening to him during certain interviews, and from players/recruits speaking about their interactions with him, he seems to represent a good father figure/role model for kids, and I always like seeing that in coaches.

Is he cut out for a more ceo type role? I don't have enough data on that to know, but he does know not to say the wrong things, so that shows me he's socially aware in what he says and knowing people will analyze everything.

I get the impression he's a clean guy, meaning no alcohol or drugs. At least we are not getting bar reports concerning him, like maybe someone else.

While I can sympathize with a guy going through that kind thing, I also know how much this impacts decision making and performance.

Finally, it's also vibe. He's going places, recruits sense this, as do the fans.

I don't think TA is interested in revamping the whole staff again and going through a big expensive change. It's easier to promote from within and keeps a lot of continuity vs throwing out the head coach and the whole staff.

So that is my gut feeling on it. If I'm wrong, that's okay. It's a message board for these discussions.
Next year NU swaps MSU and OSU with Indiana and Rutgers.

Among these teams NW, MN, PUR, RUT, and ILL who would you expect NU to lose to?

Among these teams OU, WISC, IA, MICH who would you expect NU to beat?

I'll presume since NU swept Buffalo and Fordham, NU "should" sweep N DAK, and GA SOU.

Looks to me like MN and PUR decide if NU goes 6-6 or 7-5.

Next year NU swaps MSU and OSU with Indiana and Rutgers.

Among these teams NW, MN, PUR, RUT, and ILL who would you expect NU to lose to?

Among these teams OU, WISC, IA, MICH who would you expect NU to beat?

I'll presume since NU swept Buffalo and Fordham, NU "should" sweep N DAK, and GA SOU.

Looks to me like MN and PUR decide if NU goes 6-6 or 7-5.
I haven't looked at next year's schedule, but with the right offensive QB & line play, I can see us getting 8-9 wins this year.

If we got the wrong guy pulling the trigger and lack of cohesion on offensive, then we will be fighting to get to a bowl game.

I think leadership on offense is super important. More so weighted than even skill. I hope the OC puts the right group of guys in the right spots as starters and they can form a solid foundation to build on as a team.

Reactions: poundth3rock
I don’t really like hearing that he’s passes probably over 60% of the time when considering sacks and knees. If there’s anything I’ve learned about the B1G especially the west is that you better be able to run the ball effectively and you better be able to stop the run, especially come October and November. If you can’t do those or even 1 of them, it will be tough sledding

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
I don’t really like hearing that he’s passes probably over 60% of the time when considering sacks and knees. If there’s anything I’ve learned about the B1G especially the west is that you better be able to run the ball effectively and you better be able to stop the run, especially come October and November. If you can’t do those or even 1 of them, it will be tough sledding
Yeah there’s a difference between throwing because you want to and throwing because you can’t run (or are always losing). The reverse is also true and inability to throw can be a major liability.

The goal should always be to have the capability to execute both.

He isn’t changing. So what he’s done for 40 years is what he will do here.

That's the right take. In his first 2 years at Pitt- they were very ineffective throwing the ball all over the place. Year 3 it all clicked with Pickett.

It's silly to think Frost didn't hire him to throw the ball all over the place.

The rub with most fans was Pitt had 3 productive running backs; including one who should be in the NFL next year.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
And Scott is on his 3rd OC in 5 years.

Regardless of what Narduzzi said, there is going to be an element of the fan base that will not be happy if we look like a passing team who can't run the football.

I don't care what anyone says on that, some people will be furious that we can't or worse, won't run the ball inside the 5 yard line or when it's called for.

Also, Whipple is not going to be here very long.. this is just a transition to his retirement.. I can see him here 3 years tops.
Regardless, top OCs are looking to be promoted, so 3 years is average for most schools. Assuming he is relatively successful, the next guy needs to run a similar system for continuity.

For NU, Whipple is an upgrade at QB coach and OC to the guys he replaced. That’s all I give a shit about.
The only thing I worry about is the quote from Masker, Reserve quarterback Masker said earlier this summer that it’s been difficult for Frost to take a step back from the offense. Frost needs to take a hands off approach and let the new guy Whipple try his hand at play calling this year.

I will say though that not all of the offensive woes were Scotts fault, we had a turn over machine at QB for most of the season during crunch time. I'm hoping Whipple is all we hope he is, I know for a fact he's better than the QB coach we were stuck with the last few years.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The only thing I worry about is the quote from Masker, Reserve quarterback Masker said earlier this summer that it’s been difficult for Frost to take a step back from the offense. Frost needs to take a hands off approach and let the new guy Whipple try his hand at play calling this year.

I will say though that not all of the offensive woes were Scotts fault, we had a turn over machine at QB for most of the season during crunch time. I'm hoping Whipple is all we hope he is, I know for a fact he's better than the QB coach we were stuck with the last few years.
And I say the fifth string walk on quarterback Should keep his lips shut

As long as there’s some common sense employed, I don’t give a F*** about run/pass ratio (often marginal differences with myriad situational factors).
There’s multiple ways to skin a pigskin.

Play to your strengths and win games. That’s what matters.

There’s also the element of where passes go. Adrian Martinez had a high completion % at times, but didn’t throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield or throw TDs. The year we had 4 TD passes, one was a glorified handoff that was really a run play. Context matters.

Don’t throw yolo bombs on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter when your beast FB Jano is averaging 6+ yds a carry against your rival (Riley cough). Don’t stop the clock with incomplete passes with the lead late against NW and IL?

Teach kickers to ya know kick the ball. No run/pass required.
The OL/QB performance may also impact play calling significantly.

Just win games. Please.
Run, Pass, Kick their A**. GBR.
Youre hired!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: HominidHusker
He isn’t changing. So what he’s done for 40 years is what he will do here.
When asked what he would do with 1st & goal from the 5 , Mark Whipple said, “Good teams can run the ball when the defense knows they are going to run the ball. It’s in my DNA”. A quote from his introductory press conference.

When asked about working with Scott Frost, Mark Whipple said, “it will be a collaborative effort. He’s been successful with offense over the years with what he accomplished at Oregon, UCF & even here at Nebraska. I don’t know everything and there is benefit in working together.” Another quote from his introductory press conference.

Who knows what he will do for sure. Just based on the things he’s on video saying, it sounds to me like he wants to be able to run the ball when he wants to. I haven’t found the video yet, but I remember him stating that in order to win in this league, you have to be able to run the football and stop the run. Until he proves otherwise at Nebraska, I’ll take him at his word.

BTW, this isn’t targeted at you, Tuco, but I’m using your comment to add to what he’s on record of saying.

When asked what he would do with 1st & goal from the 5 , Mark Whipple said, “Good teams can run the ball when the defense knows they are going to run the ball. It’s in my DNA”. A quote from his introductory press conference.

When asked about working with Scott Frost, Mark Whipple said, “it will be a collaborative effort. He’s been successful with offense over the years with what he accomplished at Oregon, UCF & even here at Nebraska. I don’t know everything and there is benefit in working together.” Another quote from his introductory press conference.

Who knows what he will do for sure. Just based on the things he’s on video saying, it sounds to me like he wants to be able to run the ball when he wants to. I haven’t found the video yet, but I remember him stating that in order to win in this league, you have to be able to run the football and stop the run. Until he proves otherwise at Nebraska, I’ll take him at his word.

BTW, this isn’t targeted at you, Tuco, but I’m using your comment to add to what he’s on record of saying.
Context is important too. When he first got here, he had to say some things like that.. collab, work together blah blah.. WW on the recruiting trail told us it will be Pitt's offense from last year. Could just be all coach speak, but I get the feeling Whipple is a little bit like Bo.. he's going to line up and run what he wants to run, not always what the 'defense' gives you, which is what Narduzzi was complaining about. I'm good with that. I never liked that sneaky offensive bs, which never seemed to work anyway.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Frost gave up the reins of the offense. That doesn’t mean his given up an interest in the offense. I think Frost is more interested in how the Oline helps productivity in the run game. I think they have some RBs that actually know what they are doing. What Whipple wants to do gets easier if opposing defenses have to bring an extra guy down in the box.

Dude is 1-6 against the Big 10 since he's been at Pitt and he thinks he would come into this conference and win it every year?

There's a difference between "being honest, telling it like it is" and being a "jackass".
Yep...I get it, he is bitter, I would be too. He helped MSU stop being a super lame P5 team (like most Big ten teams) and made them sort of relevant.

Then he thought the MSU job would be his but he is either a super annoying guy or the stench of Dantonio is/was still on him.

So now he is stuck at Pitt where they just played, wait for it, Wake Forest, for a conference title.

In regards to Whip and passing, calling plays is really hard and you only have a few seconds to call them...which means that after 40 years of doing it, you are not changing what you call.

as in, one (more running) might be perceived as more sustainable than the other (more passing)?

I don't know. we have what looks to be a quarterback capable of chucking it all over the yard. we might have the fastest player in the league at WR.

we haven't had a workhorse back in 4 years & it's anyone's guess if we have one today. we have seen how limiting the quarterback run game is to our overall ceiling.

good coaches play to their teams' strengths. on paper, our passing offense looks to be a formidable strength.
On paper yes. But our O line is paper thin.

Reactions: king_kong_
On paper yes. But our O line is paper thin.
2 starters returning from injury, plus 1 penciled in starter suspended.
One starter changing position, a couple of untested young guys, two transfers who have to prove their worth.
New OL coach.
Lots of unknowns at this time.

After 1 week in which pitt wins a rivalry game and we lose to a team we beat by 7 TDs last year, I’d say Narduzzi may have been correct about whipple

they didn’t miss a beat and pounded the rock while we bogged down in crunch time

After 1 week in which pitt wins a rivalry game and we lose to a team we beat by 7 TDs last year, I’d say Narduzzi may have been correct about whipple

they didn’t miss a beat and pounded the rock while we bogged down in crunch time
I wouldn't say 380 yards of offense and 75 yards rushing is "pounding the rock" We get it, you hate Frost, you hate Whipple, you hate the BIG

Also, I may be wrong, but haven't you said in previous post "Last year doesn't matter" when we were previewing our game against NW?

Reactions: WHCSC and OzzyLvr
I wouldn't say 380 yards of offense and 75 yards rushing is "pounding the rock" We get it, you hate Frost, you hate Whipple, you hate the BIG

Also, I may be wrong, but haven't you said in previous post "Last year doesn't matter" when we were previewing our game against NW?
nw is a high school team that will win 4 or 5 games

pitt ran effectively when they needed to (2nd half of a close game) right into the teeth of 8- and 9-man boxes in the most emotional game they'll play all year

we did not do that against a 4- or 5-win high school team in what essentially equates to an exhibition

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
nw is a high school team that will win 4 or 5 games

pitt ran effectively when they needed to (2nd half of a close game) right into the teeth of 8- and 9-man boxes in the most emotional game they'll play all year

we did not do that against a 4- or 5-win high school team in what essentially equates to an exhibition
They ran for 33 yards in the 2nd half... Included QB sacks, they ran for 6...

@king_kong_

When did 76 rushing yards become pounding the rock?

He didn't watch the game, and is just spewing his continued hate against the BIG and Frost and Co.
when did effective and efficient equate to piling up huge yardage totals?

they scored 2 touchdowns on the ground in the 2nd half and gained 2 first downs on the ground with less than 10 mins left

I watched every minute of it. it's why they won. effective ground game when they needed it. not 300yds and an L (the frost special)

they scored 2 touchdowns on the ground in the 2nd half and gained 2 first downs on the ground with less than 10 mins left

I watched every minute of it. it's why they won. effective ground game when they needed it. not 300yds and an L (the frost special)
I guess we have different definitions of "pounding the rock"

Reactions: JOHNNY N

Lol, they won on a pick 6.

They had less than 40 rushing yards in the 2nd half. That's not effective or efficient.

Reactions: WHCSC and tjlSker90
I guess we have different definitions of "pounding the rock"
3rd and short, 4th quarter of a rivalry game in front of the entire planet, hand it off and get what you need.

Pitt did that last night. We did not on sat.

When have we run for 300 yards under SF and lost the game?

3rd and short, 4th quarter of a rivalry game in front of the entire planet, hand it off and get what you need.

Pitt did that last night. We did not on sat.
And needed a pick 6 to win.

76 total rushing yards is not an efficient running game.

Just stop. Pitt couldn't establish the line of scrimmage and was lucky to get the win.

That just the truth.

Reactions: tjlSker90
ADVERTISEMENT