ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi discusses Mark Whipple

Head Coach at UMass 2014-2018
Pitt OC 2019-2021

Pass Play percentage (% is only when 2 FBS teams play)

2014 ... 57%
2015 ... 57%
2016 ... 56%
2017 ... 54%
2018 ... 53%
2019 ... 56%
2020 ... 54%
2021 ... 53%

if I were his PR agent I would highly encourage him to go with fullback trap as his first call of the season

Last edited:
Pitt OC 2019-2021

Pass Play percentage

2014 ... 57%
2015 ... 57%
2016 ... 56%
2017 ... 54%
2018 ... 53%
2019 ... 56%
2020 ... 54%
2021 ... 53%

if I were his PR agent I would highly encourage him to go with fullback trap as his first call of the seasonf

Fullback trap is my favorite play in football. Wisconsin still runs it very effectively. Back in the day, it was worth 4 yards. Now, 8 yards!

Reactions: Catch50 and Redmich
Seems like a very whiny, the-buck-stops-over-there thing to say about your former coordinator.

I'll bet Whipple is thrilled to be out of that crappy environment where the assistants get criticized for everything and nothing sticks to the head coach. :Cool:

On the season

544 Pass attemps

525 Rush attempts

Seems well balanced to me, not an all he wants to do us throw
Looking back the teams that pass more than run are in the minority

about 1/3

a 56% pass percentage puts you right around the top 10 in the nation

** these percentages reflect only games against 2 FBS teams **

Pitt OC 2019-2021

Pass Play percentage (% is only when 2 FBS teams play)

2014 ... 57%
2015 ... 57%
2016 ... 56%
2017 ... 54%
2018 ... 53%
2019 ... 56%
2020 ... 54%
2021 ... 53%

if I were his PR agent I would highly encourage him to go with fullback trap as his first call of the season

They might want to get a fullback on the roster before the first game. Winking

As long as there’s some common sense employed, I don’t give a F*** about run/pass ratio (often marginal differences with myriad situational factors).
There’s multiple ways to skin a pigskin.

Play to your strengths and win games. That’s what matters.

There’s also the element of where passes go. Adrian Martinez had a high completion % at times, but didn’t throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield or throw TDs. The year we had 4 TD passes, one was a glorified handoff that was really a run play. Context matters.

Don’t throw yolo bombs on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter when your beast FB Jano is averaging 6+ yds a carry against your rival (Riley cough). Don’t stop the clock with incomplete passes with the lead late against NW and IL?

Teach kickers to ya know kick the ball. No run/pass required.
The OL/QB performance may also impact play calling significantly.

Just win games. Please.
Run, Pass, Kick their A**. GBR.

I don't know why coaches make these public statements bashing other coaches or players. I understand why they may have bitter feelings but what good does it do to make those feelings public. Just makes them seem like whining juveniles instead of tough men role models for their players.

There is no doubt that Narduzzi is a red ass - he was the DC under Dantonio at MSU before Pitt

if you put that aside I think our new offensive coordinators play calling is interesting … particularly for those who think we need to run more rather than less

In the last 8 years Whipple has never run the ball more than has thrown it and has been among the top throwing teams in the nation most years

Frost the has been in the low 40%s the last 3 years and has never been above 50% at NU - in fact we have run the ball far more often than Iowa has and have been in Wisconsin’s range in 2019-2020

Mike Riley at Neb was over 50% pass play calls just once in his 3 yrs

Whipple may have a new found commitment to run the ball here - but his default is definitely to throw it

run/pass ratio will be interesting - particularly for “run the damn ball” and “bring back the option” guys

Last edited:
He also was sour grapes when OC Matt Canada left years prior:

“I had an offensive coordinator—I won’t even mention his name—at Pitt. He spent eight months with me, left to take one of those big jobs for $1.2 million. I said ‘I don’t think you want to go’ and he’s like ‘well, it’s a lot of money.’ And I got him a lot of money, I got him a million at our place, so it’s like, maybe he went for $1.5, I got him a million which is just crazy, like are you shitting me? You know like really? I don’t even think he was worth a million, I mean he wasn’t even that good.”

He also was sour grapes when OC Matt Canada left years prior:

“I had an offensive coordinator—I won’t even mention his name—at Pitt. He spent eight months with me, left to take one of those big jobs for $1.2 million. I said ‘I don’t think you want to go’ and he’s like ‘well, it’s a lot of money.’ And I got him a lot of money, I got him a million at our place, so it’s like, maybe he went for $1.5, I got him a million which is just crazy, like are you shitting me? You know like really? I don’t even think he was worth a million, I mean he wasn’t even that good.”
Narduzzi is an a$$hole.

I will patient wait to pass any judgement here, although Whipple's trend sure looks like he will throw it around the yard a lot. I don't see a whole lot of games on Nebraska's schedule where they will be able to just pound it on the ground and win a game.

As far as Narduzzi is concerned, dude just won an ACC title, so he gets to be an asshole all he wants for a while. I am sure in the future when Whipple leaves and or gets fired he will be the asshole.

YYYYEEEA MY TEAM!!!!!!!!!!

As long as there’s some common sense employed, I don’t give a F*** about run/pass ratio (often marginal differences with myriad situational factors).
There’s multiple ways to skin a pigskin.

Play to your strengths and win games. That’s what matters.

There’s also the element of where passes go. Adrian Martinez had a high completion % at times, but didn’t throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield or throw TDs. The year we had 4 TD passes, one was a glorified handoff that was really a run play. Context matters.

Don’t throw yolo bombs on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter when your beast FB Jano is averaging 6+ yds a carry against your rival (Riley cough). Don’t stop the clock with incomplete passes with the lead late against NW and IL?

Teach kickers to ya know kick the ball. No run/pass required.
The OL/QB performance may also impact play calling significantly.

Just win games. Please.
Run, Pass, Kick their A**. GBR.
Run, pass, kick their a*s...I like that. Put that on a husker shirt!

jack-black-nacho-libre.gif

Reactions: WHCSC
We nash our teeth at NU's performance on the field, yet the red and the N mean something to a lot of people outside Lincoln. If Whipple can make the offense more efficient and have yardage match points on the scoreboard, he becomes part of the NU football story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT