ADVERTISEMENT

My Lord...whats up with our Baseball team

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bats have been rolling the past few weeks. I love to see it. The true test of a ball club in my opinion, however, is its ability to grind out games when the going gets tough.

Ersrad was one of the best grinders in the game when he was a player. The question is whether he can instill these qualities in the team. If he can, we might have a team that could have a shot at a regional berth.

FWIW They played a 2-game midweek series in Lincoln last season.
Oh that's right - thanks for the reminder. Looks like ISU played those games in Lincoln and then went on to Missouri State. Those are the types of arrangements that make a lot of sense and upgrade the quality of the midweek games.

Reactions: saluno22
Boyz, either get on board or get off. Positive thoughts only from here on out.

getwititorgetlostent.jpg

Great job of adding on insurance runs today, after it looked like the game was turning in Purdue's favor. Three more outs for a nice road series win, with a chance for the sweep tomorrow.

Great job of adding on insurance runs today, after it looked like the game was turning in Purdue's favor. Three more outs for a nice road series win, with a chance for the sweep tomorrow.
What is up with Knutson? Does he need a psychologist to find the strike zone? Sad to see, kid was lights out in high school.

I see Iowa won game 2 today and will try for the sweep tomorrow against the Terps.
Yeah I was really banking on Maryland pulling it out when I posted that. Iowa, goes from losing to UNO to sweeping Maryland. What the hell.

We've got a fairly good shot at continuing our fast start in the B1G and our schedule isn't the hardest.... Need to finish off teams like Purdue and keep grinding.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Sure, a sweep is great and all, but giving up 17 runs in 3 games is not good. Our pitching got shelled...and by a team like Purdue = not good.

looking at the schedule and every series looks winnable.... Mich St looks good record wise but are there any other teams expected to do well in this conference?

Nice sweep. May not have been the prettiest but thats not always a bad thing. Lets them know that anybody can win on any given day in baseball. Pitching needs to figure something out bullpen wise. 8-1 lead in the 5th? Lets go fellas. Gotta take out Creighton this week.

Reactions: OmahaSker
michigan is the league favorite but minnesota and nebraska have the easiest schedules. I'd guess it's one of those three teams who will win the league.

if we can go 3-3 on the road against sparty and michigan we could run up a lot of wins. you take games like today every time because you're going to struggle at times -- it's baseball. if you win, no one cares.

we have to do exactly what we did today. finish the job, even if it's ugly. some of this stuff is a learning experience. i just hope we can shore up our pitching before the end of the year. For every week like this we've had a week with 6 games where we gave up 9 runs. some consistency would be nice.

michigan is the league favorite but minnesota and nebraska have the easiest schedules. I'd guess it's one of those three teams who will win the league.

if we can go 3-3 on the road against sparty and michigan we could run up a lot of wins. you take games like today every time because you're going to struggle at times -- it's baseball. if you win, no one cares.

we have to do exactly what we did today. finish the job, even if it's ugly. some of this stuff is a learning experience. i just hope we can shore up our pitching before the end of the year. For every week like this we've had a week with 6 games where we gave up 9 runs. some consistency would be nice.

Minnesota is nothing to be worried about. They recently went 2-5 against Utah Valley and Seattle. RPIs at this point are still a joke. Minnesota at #28 is laughable.

Nice sweep. May not have been the prettiest but thats not always a bad thing. Lets them know that anybody can win on any given day in baseball. Pitching needs to figure something out bullpen wise. 8-1 lead in the 5th? Lets go fellas. Gotta take out Creighton this week.
Bullpens are usually spotty in college ball. That's the main reason our most aggressive teams were some of our most successful. They would put a bunch of pressure on opposing pitchers and coaches with the hope of getting in the pens early.

Reactions: Soda Popinski
Bullpens are usually spotty in college ball. That's the main reason our most aggressive teams were some of our most successful. They would put a bunch of pressure on opposing pitchers and coaches with the hope of getting in the pens early.

Agreed.

Minnesota is nothing to be worried about. They recently went 2-5 against Utah Valley and Seattle. RPIs at this point are still a joke. Minnesota at #28 is laughable.
Not gonna worry about them but am gonna respect any team who goes into Missouri St and win the series.

Almost swept them having lost the Friday game 4-5.

minnesota's schedule is so easy that you can't look past them.

they don't play michigan state or nebraska and two of their road series are against purdue and northwestern.

if that sounds similar to ours, well... there's a reason i said our schedule's fairly easy. when two of your four road series are against purdue and rutgers (i don't care what rutgers' rpi is, they've been horrible for forever and they're still horrible), well... you've got a shot to make some serious noise. throw in our home series being against the middle of the conference. our only two truly tough series are at MSU and at Michigan.

I'll take my chances. Split those two series and tear up the rest of our other games and we'll be top 2 in the conference at worst.

Definitely agree on spotty bullpens, but this seems a little worse than spotty. Hopefully they get it figured out.

Much needed sweep....trending in the right direction I hope. Sweeping teams like Purdue and NW hovering around 250 RPI almost feels like a must. Need to get to that 40 win mark

Yeah I was really banking on Maryland pulling it out when I posted that. Iowa, goes from losing to UNO to sweeping Maryland. What the hell.
Never sleep on Bobby H and and his teams, if Slippery Rock can make the CWS so can UNO with Herald at the helm.

Coaches and players showing a little fire tonight. They could keep this up if that continues.

Reactions: donahues17
After last night the Huskers RPI was increased again and LB St and CofC are helping that also. Big series this weekend against Illinois, they were the team to beat last year and we need to protect he home field and at least go 2-1 if not sweep to keep things rolling. after UI things are pretty easy until Mich.

Yesterday sucked and today wasn't so hot either. Nice to pull it out at the end though. Hope for some decent pitching and a win tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT