ADVERTISEMENT

My Lord...whats up with our Baseball team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yep....that will do it. Pitching is a huge thing to have or not to have. You can have an elite offense but if you have no pitching we are going to lose.

We have a coach that will be here for awhile and loves Nebraska. That's all that matters
Losing in extra innings to Arizona isn't exactly damning. We need to string some wins together but it has to be tough for a cold weather team to compete right out of the box in the spring. Trying to recruit to NU now that we are in the B1G I think is a tougher deal too. JMHO. Personally I'm not sure how smart it was for Erstad to schedule some of the teams he has scheduled so early in the season.

Losing in extra innings to Arizona isn't exactly damning. We need to string some wins together but it has to be tough for a cold weather team to compete right out of the box in the spring. Trying to recruit to NU now that we are in the B1G I think is a tougher deal too. JMHO. Personally I'm not sure how smart it was for Erstad to schedule some of the teams he has scheduled so early in the season.

Our pitching is a freaking mess. It has nothing to do with us being a cold weather team playing warm weather teams. Counting today, we now have five straight outings where our starting pitcher hasn't lasted past the fourth inning. Garret King's 3.1 innings yesterday was the longest outing we've had since the season opener.

Reactions: saluno22

Hopefully the early scheduling with some of these teams pays off when conference season starts Easter weekend.
I wasn't as disappointed losing an extra inning game to Arizona as the blow out loss on Friday.
Jake Meyers is going to be a good player for us we need more Nebraska kids like him on the squad.

Hopefully the early scheduling with some of these teams pays off when conference season starts Easter weekend.
I wasn't as disappointed losing an extra inning game to Arizona as the blow out loss on Friday.
Jake Meyers is going to be a good player for us we need more Nebraska kids like him on the squad.

Erstad sounded the alarm before the season started about how bad this team was going to be. All that talk about how the upperclassmen were complacent and every job was up for grabs? That meant the team looked like shit right out of the box. Not to mention, isn't one of the reasons we hired Erstad was because he would never let a player get lazy? I hope the team is able to turn it around once conference season play kicks off, but I don't think Erstad is even that confident this is a very good team. Since we joined the Big 10, the rest of the conference has been steadily improving while we've been stuck in the mud.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Was listening today right up until the base clearing double from Tulane. Yikes.

This is very uncomfortable for me to say and I hate to do it, but this isn't working.

I understand Erstad's logic of playing tough teams early to get that big game feelingm but you have to build some confidence in the team by winning early. Even if they are sub par teams.

Reactions: huskerj12
Good win today. Need pitching so very bad.
Hopefully the Huskers found a starter today. I only had audio, but Waldron really stopped the bleeding and got the game back under control.

Hopefully the Huskers found a starter today. I only had audio, but Waldron really stopped the bleeding and got the game back under control.

The pitcher that we have are young but solid arms. They all need innings and they are starting to settle in if you listened today. They will be fine they just struggled with control. It all will work out. Howell getting banged up in 1/3 of inning was the only problem

Much needed win for the boys today. Can't wait to see them at home in a couple weeks. I love baseball season.

I understand Erstad's logic of playing tough teams early to get that big game feelingm but you have to build some confidence in the team by winning early. Even if they are sub par teams.

The scheduling is not really an issue...and in reality, it needs to be done if we ever want a chance to host a regional again. The issue is sooner or later you have to start winning the weekends or the schedule won't matter. Especially for a team/program that finished 8th in the Big Ten last year. The offense appears to be ahead of schedule for once....waiting to see what they do at LBSU as apparently where they played at in San Diego was a launching pad. Getting Burkamper back should really help the rotation...I hope.

The scheduling is not really an issue...and in reality, it needs to be done if we ever want a chance to host a regional again. The issue is sooner or later you have to start winning the weekends or the schedule won't matter. Especially for a team/program that finished 8th in the Big Ten last year. The offense appears to be ahead of schedule for once....waiting to see what they do at LBSU as apparently where they played at in San Diego was a launching pad. Getting Burkamper back should really help the rotation...I hope.
I agree about the early schedule. Some of Van Horn's best teams got roughed up in February and early March, but were ready to go when conference play came around. That's why I don't get too excited about the W-L record this time of year, but I hope this is the year NU can show some steady improvement throughout the spring.

The pitcher that we have are young but solid arms. They all need innings and they are starting to settle in if you listened today. They will be fine they just struggled with control. It all will work out. Howell getting banged up in 1/3 of inning was the only problem

Struggling with control somehow indicates they will be fine, and that it will work out? And a guy "getting banged up in a 1/3 of an inning" seems like a pretty big problem to me. Fortunately our hitting showed up, or we could very easily be 1-4 right now.

Erstad will have to do a lot more than he has done to impress me this year. When we bitch about Tim Miles not performing up to our expectations, at least he has the excuse of the B1G being one the best Power 5 basketball conferences. Erstad is failing in arguably the worst Power 5 baseball conference. Again, if his team doesn't finish in the Top 3 in the conference this year, he needs to go.

Think about how far this baseball program has dropped since Van Horn was here. We went from being one of the top 2 teams in a very strong conference, to #8 last year in a poor baseball conference. That is unacceptable, given the facilities we have and the resources we put into the program. If we are going to spend the money on a program, it better do well when we are playing in the worst baseball conference. Hell, if we are going to spend the $$$, spend it on a coach that can get results.

Do I really have to be the voice of reason here? The first three-and-a-half seasons out of four saw a steady improvement in our team. Then, for some reason, we bottomed out against the conference last year. Erstad has hit the reset button and no one knows if or how long it will take to get them back on track. But Silva has done a pretty good job with the pitchers in the past so I have faith he can get them going again. The defense was a strength for us last year, but our offense was anemic. DE has been proactive at trying to change things up to improve the offense.

It is far too early to conclude anything at this point. The teams we played were not chopped liver, you know. We do have to play a tough non-conf for RPI purposes since we are in the BiG TeN. There is no option there. It is no surprise that a Northern team that hit the reset has gotten off to a slow start. It is actually quite predictable. We just have to see how the season plays out and whether out team improves or not. Things can turn around pretty quickly if they can find a groove. We got off to a great start against a tough non-conf last year and how did that wind up for us again?

Reactions: k9_r
Erstad sounded the alarm before the season started about how bad this team was going to be. All that talk about how the upperclassmen were complacent and every job was up for grabs? That meant the team looked like shit right out of the box. Not to mention, isn't one of the reasons we hired Erstad was because he would never let a player get lazy? I hope the team is able to turn it around once conference season play kicks off, but I don't think Erstad is even that confident this is a very good team. Since we joined the Big 10, the rest of the conference has been steadily improving while we've been stuck in the mud.
So, it's up to Erstad to motivate all of his players and not allow complacency but all of the football players must be self-motivating and none of that staff is to be held accountable? Please confirm so I can be sure of the correct narrative to parrot next fall.

So, it's up to Erstad to motivate all of his players and not allow complacency but all of the football players must be self-motivating and none of that staff is to be held accountable? Please confirm so I can be sure of the correct narrative to parrot next fall.
Actually it's the opposite. Erstad is above reproach, and all the attitude problems on the gridiron are Riley's fault. Viola

Great win last night. So far, six of our seven games have been against top 35 teams, or roughly so (Charleston).

I've been looking for baseball RPI and haven't had any luck, too early for that yet?

The guys were raking last night. Pitching didn't explode either. Good start to the series.

Better win two quick ones against Northern Colorado before our weekend series with Loyola Marymount.

Temp's in the mid 60's Tuesday and Wednesday, perfect days to take half day and head to the ballpark for you Lincolnite's.

Wait....what?

Nice two wins against N. Colorado. I know they are supposed to be gimmies, but it's nice to see them take care of business in solid fashion.

Looking at the schedule, why do we have a couple mid-week games AT Indiana State? Seems weird to me.

Reactions: OmahaSker
Looking at the schedule, why do we have a couple mid-week games AT Indiana State? Seems weird to me.

Because following those games, NU can go right to its weekend series at Purdue. Considering how hard it is to find midweek opponents, that's probably a smart move.

Because following those games, NU can go right to its weekend series at Purdue. Considering how hard it is to find midweek opponents, that's probably a smart move.

I figured that was the thinking,but still that is like a week trip to Indiana. I'm not freaking out about it, just seemed a bit out of the ordinary.

I figured that was the thinking,but still that is like a week trip to Indiana. I'm not freaking out about it, just seemed a bit out of the ordinary.
Yeah but assuming you take care of business at Indiana State, you can go into a road conference series well-rested instead of road-weary. Plus you can probably get the Sycamores to give you return games in Lincoln next year or the year after, without writing them such a big check.

So I like the idea. I remember one time NU had a weekend series at Oklahoma State, followed by a Thur-Fri-Sat series at Baylor. In between, they came all the way back home to play Iowa or Northern Iowa, or somebody like that. I wondered why they just didn't get a midweek game somewhere between Stillwater and Waco to give themselves more rest. To make a short story long, I think they lost five of those six Big 12 games.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT