ADVERTISEMENT

My 1st game at Memorial Stadium Thread!

DerHusker

Head Coach
May 29, 2001
This post is long as it’s as much for me to recall the days events as to let everyone know how it went. Here is a recap of our day.

We’re staying with one of my cousins and we had breakfast together. We then met another cousin and my brother at 11:00 AM at the Walmart in Hastings. We got into my cousin’s car and drove to Lincoln. Once we got off on “O” St. we stopped at the Big Red Restaurant and Sports Bar for lunch and a beer.

We then proceeded to park near the Haymarket and walk over to a Tailgate where my cousin knew the people. We only hung there for a short time as we had already eaten and didn’t want to drink more at that time.

We then proceeded to walk over a large bridge to Pinnacle Bank Arena and the Haymarket. We proceeded to Longwell’s and watched some of the volleyball game. Once we had watched the end of the 2nd set we walked over to the stadium.

We walked around the stadium over to the new Osborne Legacy Complex and waited (approx. 30 minutes) for the band and players to arrive. After the players walked by we walked around the stadium again to the front area near our gate. We waited again until they opened the gates and proceed inside. We rented the seat backs and found our seats. (Section 22, row 17, seats 1 - 4)

We now went and purchased some Runzas and some drinks. We ate and then waited until the game started. (approx. 60 minutes)

The game was a great experience and the sound was near deafening when we were on defense. It’s a good thing we don’t make as much noise while on offense as I would not have a voice today.

All in all it was a great experience and I’ll never forget.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
This post is long as it’s as much for me to recall the days events as to let everyone know how it went. Here is a recap of our day.

We’re staying with one of my cousins and we had breakfast together. We then met another cousin and my brother at 11:00 AM at the Walmart in Hastings. We got into my cousin’s car and drove to Lincoln. Once we got off on “O” St. we stopped at the Big Red Restaurant and Sports Bar for lunch and a beer.

We then proceeded to park near the Haymarket and walk over to a Tailgate where my cousin knew the people. We only hung there for a short time as we had already eaten and didn’t want to drink more at that time.

We then proceeded to walk over a large bridge to Pinnacle Bank Arena and the Haymarket. We proceeded to Longwell’s and watched some of the volleyball game. Once we had watched the end of the 2nd set we walked over to the stadium.

We walked around the stadium over to the new Osborne Legacy Complex and waited (approx. 30 minutes) for the band and players to arrive. After the players walked by we walked around the stadium again to the front area near our gate. We waited again until they opened the gates and proceed inside. We rented the seat backs and found our seats. (Section 22, row 17, seats 1 - 4)

We now went and purchased some Runzas and some drinks. We ate and then waited until the game started. (approx. 60 minutes)

The game was a great experience and the sound was near deafening when we were on defense. It’s a good thing we don’t make as much noise while on offense as I would not have a voice today.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for posting. I am 60 now and have been attending games since I was 13 when my parents bought season tickets which I now have. I guess I just take the experience of a game for granted and probably forget what the first experience was like 47 years ago.

Glad you enjoyed it! It's an experience that one cannot fully explain until you've been there!

Moved away to Texas and with kids school activities we've not been able to make it back for a game for the last 7 years... that ends in October! will be like going again for the first time!

Love these stories. I went to my first home game in the 70s against ou, you know that real cold one that we lost. Made it to a couple more ou games and then got into the ushering thing as a Boy Scout. Loved every minute of that. Got to go into stadium early and see the orchestration involved in gameday. Marching band practicing. I was fortunate enough to get assigned to the steps area by the ne corner of the north endzone with a lady that worked the stadium and became good friends. After high school I still would see her at memorial stadium and the Bob.

Needless to say I was hooked on home games and the atmosphere. 4 things I'll never forget are old Husker Bob in his black suit and signs, Mad Mike and his drum, the Lincoln policeman that would hop the cement ledge platforms from bottom to top in what now is the student section, and finally the hot dog hawker who was a lawyer from Holdrege or Gothenburg. He was dressed in knickers and kinda shabby. He'd throw you the hot dog (rarely missing) and then you put your money in the wrapper and threw it back to him.

Man how game day experience has changed.

GBR

• Love
Reactions: SickOfPractice
Love these stories. I went to my first home game in the 70s against ou, you know that real cold one that we lost. Made it to a couple more ou games and then got into the ushering thing as a Boy Scout. Loved every minute of that. Got to go into stadium early and see the orchestration involved in gameday. Marching band practicing. I was fortunate enough to get assigned to the steps area by the ne corner of the north endzone with a lady that worked the stadium and became good friends. After high school I still would see her at memorial stadium and the Bob.

Needless to say I was hooked on home games and the atmosphere. 4 things I'll never forget are old Husker Bob in his black suit and signs, Mad Mike and his drum, the Lincoln policeman that would hop the cement ledge platforms from bottom to top in what now is the student section, and finally the hot dog hawker who was a lawyer from Holdrege or Gothenburg. He was dressed in knickers and kinda shabby. He'd throw you the hot dog (rarely missing) and then you put your money in the wrapper and threw it back to him.

Man how game day experience has changed.

GBR
OMGosh you brought back some great memories for me! Husker Bob I've never forgotten but I HAD forgotten about Mad Mike and the hopping policeman! As a kid I got so excited when Husker Bob or Mad Mike led our section in cheering.

And the stogie-chewing old guys who sat next to us. They smelled of whiskey & cigar smoke and shared their coach and player critiques to anyone within ear shot.
"I'm not sure this Tom Osborne has what it takes." 🤣
I loved those guys.

• Love
Reactions: huskerfan66

Thanks for reading.
Great write up! I have two questions. You were sitting next to the visitor section, how did the UNI fans look? Were they having a good time or upset they were losing? What did you think of the 3rd Q light show? They unfortunately didn't fly the drones for some reason, but the show was still cool as always.

Great write up! I have two questions. You were sitting next to the visitor section, how did the UNI fans look? Were they having a good time or upset they were losing? What did you think of the 3rd Q light show? They unfortunately didn't fly the drones for some reason, but the show was still cool as always.
Guarantee that there will be drones Fri night not sure how rain might affect them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT