ADVERTISEMENT

McGriff is transfering

Too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do there. Probably would’ve helped his nfl chances too if he flourished.

Not a huge shock. The staff took him on as a project and if he wants to get on the field asap I get it.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Looks like Frost offered him at UCF. However, per a Corn post re McGriffs psn change, the dude has hand of stone, not something looked for in a receiver.

All of these scholarship players that leave in their first year in the program are not a good reflection on our coaching staff's ability to evaluate talent.

Reactions: UCF Hawk
All of these scholarship players that leave in their first year in the program are not a good reflection on our coaching staff's ability to evaluate talent.

You mean the guys they brought in to fill a class after taking the job 2 months before signing day? Can we hold off until we have an “n” of at least 1 before making that determination?

You mean the guys they brought in to fill a class after taking the job 2 months before signing day? Can we hold off until we have an “n” of at least 1 before making that determination?

I don't give a f*ck what you say, this is the exact same thing that got Pelini in trouble... taking players that were reaches. The sooner the coaches realize that players they were recruiting to play at UCF aren't going to cut it in the B1G, the sooner they can stop bitching about flipping our talent. Stop recruiting players that have just a few P5 offers, because it isn't changing our talent or depth from where it is right now.

Reactions: UCF Hawk
I don't give a f*ck what you say, this is the exact same thing that got Pelini in trouble... taking players that were reaches. The sooner the coaches realize that players they were recruiting to play at UCF aren't going to cut it in the B1G, the sooner they can stop bitching about flipping our talent. Stop recruiting players that have just a few P5 offers, because it isn't changing our talent or depth from where it is right now.

WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

You have to realize by now that you cannot criticize Scott Frost or anything he does. There will be backlash.

This year’s class seems to suggest they are doing just that.

It’s one thing to call out Pelini in year 6 or 7 for his recruiting, but I think it might be a bit premature to question these coaches and their recruiting chops after their first year.

Just my opinion.

You have to realize by now that you cannot criticize Scott Frost or anything he does. There will be backlash.

I know. The coaches have bitched about our lack of talent, but they aren't doing the best job of replacing it with upgrades.

This year’s class seems to suggest they are doing just that.

It’s one thing to call out Pelini in year 6 or 7 for his recruiting, but I think it might be a bit premature to question these coaches and their recruiting chops after their first year.

Just my opinion.

Pelini did it from the start, and it would appear the same thing is happening again. How many of Frost's recruits/transfers came in and were a waste of a scholarship? Four? Five?

Didn't I see somewhere on here that this class is rated like #15 in the country if everyone signs? When was the last time we were #15? its not top 10, but it seems to me like a move in the right direction toward replacing with upgrades.

Or maybe it’s reality that coaches sometimes have to take a gamble and see if a guy pays off. Especially when they didn’t have a full year to fill the class. Would you have rather not filled the class than take a chance on a guy that might be a reach? Because those were the options less than a month before the early signing period. Unreasonable to expect a staff to fill a class with home runs any year, much less when they have 2 months to recruit.

Pelini did it from the start, and it would appear the same thing is happening again. How many of Frost's recruits/transfers came in and were a waste of a scholarship? Four? Five?
You're going to lose at least that many from any given class. I would argue it's better to lose them early than have them taking up space for 3-4 years before they move on.

Or maybe it’s reality that coaches sometimes have to take a gamble and see if a guy pays off. Especially when they didn’t have a full year to fill the class. Would you have rather not filled the class than take a chance on a guy that might be a reach? Because those were the options less than a month before the early signing period. Unreasonable to expect a staff to fill a class with home runs any year, much less when they have 2 months to recruit.

Not take a reach and leave the scholarships for this year when you have a year to recruit or next year when you have two years. I have never understood the rationale for taking guys just to fill.

There is a lot of room between a home run and a guy that didn't even get a plate appearance. Writing things like that is just an easy way out of a discussion. No one said every recruit has to be a home run, except you.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Didn't I see somewhere on here that this class is rated like #15 in the country if everyone signs? When was the last time we were #15? its not top 10, but it seems to me like a move in the right direction toward replacing with upgrades.

Does it matter if you are Top 15 if you have 2 or 3 academic casualties like last class? We have a total of 85 scholarships to give. These should be treated like gold, not like they are disposable pieces to a puzzle.

Every one is dumber for having read this post. So by your rationale, every recruit must be a contributor or the coaches are poor evaluators? Look how many busts there are in the NFL draft and the players are much more developed at that point than in high school. Did the coaches whiff on Martinez? Just a stupid post, especially at this point.

Have you looked at other schools that just hired new coaches last year and compared them? In other words, do you know that there is anything unusual about any school losing a few recruits from a class that was put together late by a new coach? If you have done this research, then let's hear about what your research tells us and how this compares to other schools in the same situation. If you haven't(as I suspect you have not), then you have absolutely no leg to stand on with your comments. I am sick and fed up with people whose first instinct is always to find fault with things like this when you don't even know what the heck you are talking about. Unless you know for sure based on research that there is anything unusual about this in this situation, then you are just a know-it-all knee-jerk critic who really doesn't know a darn thing.
There are way, WAY too many people that think that everything that goes on in any negative sense in our program exists in a vacuum-as if it ONLY happens here. People are so keenly aware of all of our faults and for some reason seem to think that no other program has similar or worse faults or problems. Just sick and fed up with this stupid, brainless mentality.

Reactions: PHXskerz and 9and4
It's not like the walk on program isn't getting kids in.. so I don't think scholarships are being wasted. The staff might be taking more risks to jump start things and turn over the roster even more in the first full year recruiting cycle, but I don't get the criticism right now. I don't mind someone taking a shot at the staff, I just don't think they are doing a bad job.. we are sitting at #16, so that's an improvement over last year too.

Why not leave Coach Pelini out of discussions he's gone, and give the new staff a chance. There will always be players who come in with high ratings but once they get here other players have the same ratings so it comes down too who is willing to put the time in and do what is expected of them.

I believe we had a "top 15" class under Pelini that ended up being almost worthless. The physical talent is only half the equation. Go ask USC fan what a couple top 5 recruiting classes can be worth.

I know. The coaches have bitched about our lack of talent, but they aren't doing the best job of replacing it with upgrades.

Really? Our class right now is ranked 15th. Did you really expect some awesome class last year after they had a late start? I apologize if I missed the sarcasm, but they are doing a pretty dang good job right now and if they add Ty Rob and NPG....

I believe we had a "top 15" class under Pelini that ended up being almost worthless. The physical talent is only half the equation. Go ask USC fan what a couple top 5 recruiting classes can be worth.

The larger point made is salient. If kids are highly rated coming into the program, yet never contribute, what's that worth?

For example, if we recruited a pile of highly rated kids out of California who never played a down here for a variety of reasons, how did those mid-20 ranked classes they were part of really measure up? In the 30's or 40's, or lower?

Last edited:
Yep. I think 2011 we were ranked like 12th? We ended up going 5-7 when that class were seniors. L

You seem uncharacteristically out of sorts....not like you.

I think we will be fine...
Right?
tenor.gif

I do think there is a difference coming from group of 5 to P5, and last year could have been better.

I just think this line of thinking is Ill-timed considering what the class appears to be this year.

The staff had to fill an entire recruiting class last year in only 2 months. I'm not going to blame them for taking a few projects.

I don't see many major projects in the 2019 class. Possibly Anderson and Graham, but for the most part, the 2019 class is full of recruits that other good programs wanted.

McGriff was a 6'6", 210 lb 3-star with 8 offers. Only two were P5 (Nebraska and Illinois). His junior and senior high school seasons combined 52 catches for 972 yards. It is what it is, other P5s obviously evaluated his potential better than Walters. However, if he would have panned out and been the big receiver we need, the staff would have been geniuses for finding a diamond in the rough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT