ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe it's time for a reality check .....

ssmill777

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 10, 2004
I've thought a lot about this: we all want the Huskers to come back into National Championship contention, but in reality - that's probably not going to happen, at least for quite a while. I'm really tired of all the griping, grumbling, whining of a (minority) of fans about firing the coaches after 3 games, etc, etc. But what about the players? Do we not see that they are putting in long hrs of practice besides all their study time. Most of the players represent what Husker football is at about - they bleed Husker Red. Look at the hit Reilly took Sat. He could have been paralyzed for life - but if he would have dropped one - we would have griped about what a terrible WR he is.

Most of the players are trying their very best to bring Big Red back into the limelight of college football - win or lose I think they deserve our backing 100%. Yeah, we lost 2 so far - but they really were 2 of the most exciting foot ball games on TV this yr. Why not enjoy the ride? Why not praise the coaches & players for their hard work & effort? We as fans have very little invested in the Huskers compared to the players, why not encourage them by our comments on social media, etc?

I'm going to say that I appreciate having a head coach that cares for his players/team/coaching staff. Will he take us to the promised land of National Championships - probably not. But at least he isn't embarrassing us on national TV. And I'm proud of a fan base that is as loyal as the Husker fan base. Not many places can say that we applaud the opposing team as they leave the field after a hard-fought game.

I appeal to fellow Husker fans - lets not become a place that is a revolving door for coaches. If we get someone who underperforms, lets trust our AD to have enough sense to replace him. But please enjoy the ride along the way - Husker football is still special, and Memorial Stadium is still a special place for football games. Thanks for letting me vent my feelings about NU football. I've been a fan since 1964 during the early yrs of Devaney.

I've thought a lot about this: we all want the Huskers to come back into National Championship contention, but in reality - that's probably not going to happen, at least for quite a while. I'm really tired of all the griping, grumbling, whining of a (minority) of fans about firing the coaches after 3 games, etc, etc. But what about the players? Do we not see that they are putting in long hrs of practice besides all their study time. Most of the players represent what Husker football is at about - they bleed Husker Red. Look at the hit Reilly took Sat. He could have been paralyzed for life - but if he would have dropped one - we would have griped about what a terrible WR he is.

Most of the players are trying their very best to bring Big Red back into the limelight of college football - win or lose I think they deserve our backing 100%. Yeah, we lost 2 so far - but they really were 2 of the most exciting foot ball games on TV this yr. Why not enjoy the ride? Why not praise the coaches & players for their hard work & effort? We as fans have very little invested in the Huskers compared to the players, why not encourage them by our comments on social media, etc?

I'm going to say that I appreciate having a head coach that cares for his players/team/coaching staff. Will he take us to the promised land of National Championships - probably not. But at least he isn't embarrassing us on national TV. And I'm proud of a fan base that is as loyal as the Husker fan base. Not many places can say that we applaud the opposing team as they leave the field after a hard-fought game.

I appeal to fellow Husker fans - lets not become a place that is a revolving door for coaches. If we get someone who underperforms, lets trust our AD to have enough sense to replace him. But please enjoy the ride along the way - Husker football is still special, and Memorial Stadium is still a special place for football games. Thanks for letting me vent my feelings about NU football. I've been a fan since 1964 during the early yrs of Devaney.
No. Fire everybody, right now. I am still pissed about Bo because I talked to him at a dinner for 5 minutes a few years ago, and he was sooooo nice. Therefore he should have got 25 years to do as he pleased (all because Pope Tom hired him). I will be damned if I give anybody else a chance until Tom comes back, and hires Scott Frost (now excuse me while I take another hit of this crack, and get my gigantic buck teeth fixed)

A lot of good points here - but the passion of the fans for Nu is still high - maybe we need to hit bottom and then we can reset - I mean bad multiple seasons in row

Players should be off limits imo as they do not get paid per se and work hard for their tuition money.; Coaches on the other hand are making tons of money and there should be pressure to produce.

Right now I am not even upset with the current staff - they are who they are - I am torked off over the complete incompetence of the AD and the poor leadership skills of the admin of the Univ in general. There is a reason Nu has fallen off so far and it has been a series of fails from the leadership in the AD and Univer that brought us to this point

A lot of good points here - but the passion of the fans for Nu is still high - maybe we need to hit bottom and then we can reset - I mean bad multiple seasons in row

Players should be off limits imo as they do not get paid per se and work hard for their tuition money.; Coaches on the other hand are making tons of money and there should be pressure to produce.

Right now I am not even upset with the current staff - they are who they are - I am torked off over the complete incompetence of the AD and the poor leadership skills of the admin of the Univ in general. There is a reason Nu has fallen off so far and it has been a series of fails from the leadership in the AD and Univer that brought us to this point
Can't argue your points on players and the AD's, but we should at least give the coaches a couple of yrs to bring in their recruits and fully install their schemes. That said, I am expecting more losses this yr than usual, but also an upset or two that we may pull off.

No. Fire everybody, right now. I am still pissed about Bo because I talked to him at a dinner for 5 minutes a few years ago, and he was sooooo nice. Therefore he should have got 25 years to do as he pleased (all because Pope Tom hired him). I will be damned if I give anybody else a chance until Tom comes back, and hires Scott Frost (now excuse me while I take another hit of this crack, and get my gigantic buck teeth fixed)
I see that dry, sarcastic humor there, LOL

Well stated. I guess when we fill the seats up regardless, why worry?
At least we don't have an empty stadium and the $ keep rolling in. That's what counts, right?

I agree with everything except your assumption that Riley probably won't get it done. It all hinges on recruiting and I have more confidence in this staff to improve our recruiting. Regardless as you said I will enjoy the journey as TO preached.

Some people have odd perspective.

1. I seriously doubt many Husker fans thought this team was going to compete for a playoff spot or even come close to winning the Big Ten.

2. In order for that to come into fruition, you can't go undefeated. Its like there is a wide disconnect. I personally expected Nebraska to beat BYU in a close game and lose at Miami in a close game. I feel like I was about 2 seconds away from that prediction. And while 1-2 is different from 2-1, I don't feel like the team is any different than I originally expected.

3. But I also am perplexed by the gloom and doom. Other than Connor Cook, there is no other QB on the schedule even close to the QB's Nebraska has faced. In 3 games, the Huskers have seen 7 former 4-Star WR's and 6 future NFL receivers. There are only 3 remaining 4 star receivers to face all season, and the best one Caroo from Rutgers, might be suspended.

4. The key to this division is stopping the run. So far this season, Nebraska is doing just that.
5. The toughest league games, and that includes Northwestern over Minnesota, are still at home.
6. No road opponent even approaches the talent of Miami.
7. The offense which everyone freaked out about prior to the season, has been rather impressive considering they've played 2 quality teams in the non con with a new scheme and coach.

Now... that doesn't mean things are rosey. The team eventually needs to win some close games. If you just keep losing close games, well then, you're just a loser. The turnovers need to be eliminated. And the penalties are a problem. Those things need to be addressed.

But there is plenty of reason to be optimistic right now. Everyone should be happy its 2015 and not the 2016 schedule. I'm glad Nebraska is encountering this adversity now. They could've faced Iowa State, Eastern Illinois, and Pitt and everyone would've thought this team was going to the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: dinglefritz
i've been optimistic at 7-5, but this board will crucify you if you don't go along with the flow of the sheeple

we are going to be a good team later this season, it's just growing pains right now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT