ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Ruhle opinions

shocksker

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
Got to talking with a friend who knows the college football world. He claimed Matt Ruhle to be "milktoast". Didnt feel he was charasmatic enough and cited offensive dud everywhere he has coached.
I dont necessarily agree and feel like we cant judge until after next year when he has a qb worth a salt. Maybe im wrong but i like MR and find him charasmatic.
So how does this board feel about him almost 12 months in? He crushed the offseason but has lost winnable games in season. Im torn, know he isnt going anywhere but that thread got me thinking about how he has done this far.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
mmmm GIF

To's
he can build a culture and get guys to play together. Does he have a ruthless killer instinct.

TO was a nice guy, but his teams could be nasty.
TO's teams were nasty because he had Charlie McBride.

Ruhle is doing fine. I feels like we have a competent adult running the program. His offense is shit because we are lacking serious talent on offense. He's doing things right with regards to building a program. Defense first. Next should be the OL and QB. Then from there the wins will begin to happen more regularly.

With that said we have had at least 2 if not 3 inexcusable losses. Minnie, Mich St, and Maryland. We flat out handed those wins away with bad decisions on the offensive side of the ball. That needs to be addressed.

I claim Ryan Day to be a grecian 5 using munchkin with small man complex. Dont mean sh*t. Guy still wins games. Matt Rhule is dealing with the meat grinder that is public perception of his program and dealing well. Defense is moving in the right direction. O line is starting to come a long. Need to hit the transfer portal to bring in a couple QBs, and keep building that O line. I like what I see out of guys like Scott. Need more of him. Nasty. Maybe dial back the PFs a little, but toe that line. Our skill players need to get healthy and our freshman studs need to keep developing. The man might be 'milquetoast' and pleasant in his press conferences, but he is not the same person as a coach. If you believe that, you are not paying attention.

not enough data

Unless we get to 6 wins one could argue that there will have been more optimism going into Frost’s 2nd year after having finished the 2018 season 4-2 with the only 2 losses being at 13 win OSU (36-31) and at 9 win Iowa in overtime.

Frost won 3 big ten games his first year which is where we are sitting right now. 3 big ten wins have been pretty much the norm for the last 8 years.

One could argue the conf schedule is much friendlier than it has been since we joined the conference - it will be disappointing if we can’t get another win

Reactions: oldjar07
Got to talking with a friend who knows the college football world. He claimed Matt Ruhle to be "milktoast". Didnt feel he was charasmatic enough and cited offensive dud everywhere he has coached.
I dont necessarily agree and feel like we cant judge until after next year when he has a qb worth a salt. Maybe im wrong but i like MR and find him charasmatic.
So how does this board feel about him almost 12 months in? He crushed the offseason but has lost winnable games in season. Im torn, know he isnt going anywhere but that thread got me thinking about how he has done this far.
The dude walked-on at Penn State and played linebacker. Milktoast?

Tom Landry, Don Shula, Bill Walsh? All winners and very calm coaches. Would you rather have a big mouth like braggard like Deion or a screamer like Ditka?

Huskers are still in the hunt for a Big Ten Conference championship. LFG!

Reactions: huskerfan66
Ask your friend if he thinks Tom Osborne was 'Milktoast' (i.e, milquetoast).

JFC, what a stupid thing for someone to complain about. You can tell your friend I said that. And Rhule is certainly NOT milquetoast.

There were 3 or 4 major missed opportunities this season. 2 more major opportunities lie ahead. QB play is the sole reason NU is 5-5 and not 8-2 or 9-1. Criticism of Rhule regarding the QB room is appropriate and fair. OTOH, Rhule is entitled to credit for the defensive turn-around. The NU program has been tightened up and is being run by professionals. That has not been the case for a long time.

The QB issue is a major miss, for sure, but I see no reason to be anything but optimistic about NU's football future.

The dude walked-on at Penn State and played linebacker. Milktoast?

Tom Landry, Don Shula, Bill Walsh? All winners and very calm coaches. Would you rather have a big mouth like braggard like Deion or a screamer like Ditka?

Huskers are still in the hunt for a Big Ten Conference championship. LFG!
No I would not. I didnt say i agreed with his words or opinion. I found an outsiders opinion interesting. I do find Ruhle charasmatic. I do have concers his vanilla nature will be our offenses identity. All of this is opinions and I shared an outsiders thoughts.

I have doubts that Rhule will get us back to winning 9-10 games a year. But if he doesn't, I do think he will at least leave the program in a better place than he found it.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Ask your friend if he thinks Tom Osborne was 'Milktoast' (i.e, milquetoast).

JFC, what a stupid thing for someone to complain about. You can tell your friend I said that. And Rhule is certainly NOT milquetoast.

There were 3 or 4 major missed opportunities this season. 2 more major opportunities lie ahead. QB play is the sole reason NU is 5-5 and not 8-2 or 9-1. Criticism of Rhule regarding the QB room is appropriate and fair. OTOH, Rhule is entitled to credit for the defensive turn-around. The NU program has been tightened up and is being run by professionals. That has not been the case for a long time.

The QB issue is a major miss, for sure, but I see no reason to be anything but optimistic about NU's football future.
Those were my opinions i shared with him. Thank You correcting the spelling. It was a term ive heard only a few other times and understood it but have never read nor typed it.
I think we are a qb away, in football my opinion is line play is key to be good. QB and coaching ADDED to line play can make great.
We have had glimpses of good Oline play and we have had great d line play. Im not sure I can judge a year 1 coach without that qb. After year 1-2 it was his job to get that qb and judgement is fair.
I am not sure why he feels the way he does about MR. I find him honest yet charasmatic. I was curious how the majority of non trolls feel here.

I have doubts that Rhule will get us back to winning 9-10 games a year. But if he doesn't, I do think he will at least leave the program in a better place than he found it.
I said something similar. At worst the next guy has a foundation to build on and not a trash heap.

“milktoast”

Good Lord🙄
Caught that.

Here's a little help OP. I am not going to belittle you for a minor faux pas as there are plenty of posters and adjoining toadies just chomping at the bit to do just that.
Definition of milque·toast :a timid, meek, or unassertive person.
Not sure why that would apply to Rhule
I find him likeable, yet intense. That can be a hard combination to find. That doesn't mean he's a great football coach, that's a different subject.

There is a breakfast dish called milk toast but I doubt your friend called him a breakfast meal.

One can be very successful inside about any personality type. Devaney and Osborne were very successful here but two very different people.

And just an observation I once had. We went out for Sunday dinner the day after a spring game. There were a number of recruits and their families seated at different tables. Bo Pelini was going around talking to them. He got to the table next to us and so naturally we pulled a Jamie Sommers and listened with our bionic ear.
Despite what people think they know, Pelini was actually pretty charming when the situation called for it.
He schmoozed it up just fine. Well, until he threw coffee creamer in the recruit's mother's face.
Just kidding on that last part.

Last edited:
Not sure how you define charismatic but Rhule is a walking hype machine.

As someone posted above, if he doesn’t get it completely done, Nebraska will still be in a better place than a year ago.

How do you guys view his first year in the portal? Seems like some defensive guys are contributors. Scott on the OL? What’s his year one grade for the portal?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Caught that.

Here's a little help OP. I am not going to belittle you for a minor faux pas as there are plenty of posters and adjoining toadies just chomping at the bit to do just that.
Definition of milque·toast :a timid, meek, or unassertive person.
Not sure why that would apply to Rhule
I find him likeable, yet intense. That can be a hard combination to find. That doesn't mean he's a great football coach, that's a different subject.

There is a breakfast dish called milk toast but I doubt your friend called him a breakfast meal.

One can be very successful inside about any personality type. Devaney and Osborne were very successful here but two very different people.

And just an observation I once had. We went out for Sunday dinner the day after a spring game. There were a number of recruits and their families seated at different tables. Bo Pelini was going around talking to them. He got to the table next to us and so naturally we pulled a Jamie Sommers and listened with our bionic ear.
Despite what people think they know Pelini was actually pretty charming when the situation called for it.
He schmoozed it up just fine. Well, until he threw coffee creamer in the recruit's mother's face.
Just kidding on that last part.
Not worried about belittled on a message board. I have a wife and 2 teenage daughters.......
I learned something and its not a bad thing. I knew the meaning had just never read nor typed it. Now I know.
I didnt agree with his statement either and was curious if I missed something. Actually agree with most of what was aid here.
I think NU is a qb away from being a pretty damn good football team.

I am really happy with Rhule so far. The defense has taken a giant leap forward. Special teams, while still not good, has improved. The offense sucks. But they’ve lost so many starters on an already shallow talent pool of players it is hard to judge the coaches fairly.

And for the offense, he’s at the very least attempted to try to do things that compliment the talent. This isn’t the scheme he was planning on running. But he’s tried all tailor the offense to what he has. How many years have had coaches that don’t have the guys to run the system but the coach still forces it?

Remember Whipple doing 7 step drops with our o-line and never stopping it? Whipple ran his offense and refused to do anything else. At the very least, I’m excited that Rhule is willing to adapt to what he has.

Give him some time and see what he can do. The turnover suck. The QB play has been horrible. Clock management needs improvement. But can we give home more than one season to try and put his head in a spike? I mean, the defensive turnaround alone should warrant some excitement.

I think Rhule is a just real dude. Who is also a class act. Seems to be a good leader so far.

Bo Pelini is a real dude. But has many moments of not being a class act.

Do you want a guy with used car salesman charisma as the head of your program?

I think it's better to have respectable leadership.

Start winning like Drinkwitz at Mizzou and the rest will fall into place.

You sure he was referring to Rhule's personality when he was talking about him being milquetoast? Some people use that term to describe a generic, run-of-the-mill, white guy. Meaning, Rhule doesn't have the differentiating factor (skins on the wall in the way of titles, a recruiting rain maker, etc) that we need. I disagree that Rhule has a a timid or feeble personality that lacks charisma. I fear the other definition might be true though.

I think Rhule is a just real dude. Who is also a class act. Seems to be a good leader so far.

Bo Pelini is a real dude. But has many moments of not being a class act.

Do you want a guy with used car salesman charisma as the head of your program?

I think it's better to have respectable leadership.

Start winning like Drinkwitz at Mizzou and the rest will fall into place.
mizzou's record in Drink's first 3 years:

5-5
6-7
6-7

he also fired his DC (he's his own OC) after both years 1 & 2

Depends on whether or not he corrects the mistakes of this season going forward.

I don’t love the losses but like Rhule.
We blew games we should have won, but big picture… had we even just kept Smothers or Casey here we’d probably be at 8 wins already.
No one could have predicted that Sims sucks donkey balls.
Luckily, we now know our top 3 guys really suck and I suspect we will get 2 replacements to come in along with Kaelin.
Biggest disappointment is that this is the easiest schedule we will ever have and it would have been nice to hit 10 wins

Considering I feel like he's the most charismatic coach we've had in at least two decades, I have to ignore his other comments. Hoping we get to see this offense with a legit QB next year. Feels like we have weapons and decent scheme, just a complete inability to get them the ball.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT