ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Ruhle opinions

I don’t love the losses but like Rhule.
We blew games we should have won, but big picture… had we even just kept Smothers or Casey here we’d probably be at 8 wins already.
No one could have predicted that Sims sucks donkey balls.
Luckily, we now know our top 3 guys really suck and I suspect we will get 2 replacements to come in along with Kaelin.
Biggest disappointment is that this is the easiest schedule we will ever have and it would have been nice to hit 10 wins
You must have liked Smothers more than I did. He was a better on the battle decision maker than Sims but not by much.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
I think he needs to adapt better to the current environment that is college football today. You have to remember he left college football just when the transfer portal was picking up and NIL was not a thing yet. The recruiting game is much more time consuming now and you need stud recruiters at multiple positions to do the dirty work.

Jury is still out on Rhule, just hope he can make tough staff decisions if need be. Nebraska is a unique HC position that isn’t comparable to anywhere else he’s been, and quite honestly any other P5 job.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
Can’t draw firm conclusions after just one year but if you lead the league in rushing and are at the top in defense and you still can’t manage to win more than 7 games given how easy the schedule was then for that season you get an F

I think Rhule is a good coach. Only question is can he keep your assistant coaches like your DC?

Seems personable enough to have some charisma. His upgrading the defense is a plus. His wanting to establish a culture of toughness and discipline is also good, though turnovers aren’t helping. Penalties are seeming to go down lately so that’s good.

The offense will improve in 2024. The line is younger but learning to play better together. Young RB and WR’s seem to be learning. The distributor QB is a must. If the defense stays close to what is it this year into next, then an offense that can get into the high 20’s/low 30’s will produce 8-9 wins for sure. Cutting turnovers in half has to be a goal as well.

The foundation is being set while showing a willingness to be flexible to try to get guys in spots where they can play to their strengths.

In game end of game plans have to be better. 6 east points vs Maryland. MN game end of half calls have been beaten to death already. Just either of those and the Huskers are bowling. Win both and they are sitting in charge of the West.

See improvement but know more has to happen. Trust him to make adjustments this off season

I have doubts that Rhule will get us back to winning 9-10 games a year. But if he doesn't, I do think he will at least leave the program in a better place than he found it.
As great as TO’s record was, I think he or the Bobfather would struggle to win 9 or 10 every year with our schedules after this year’s softy. I hope Trev gets rid of any future tough NC games, The divisionless B1G beginning next year will be a bear. Luckily next year’s meat of the schedule is on the back half.

Reactions: moralvictories
Got to talking with a friend who knows the college football world. He claimed Matt Ruhle to be "milktoast". Didnt feel he was charasmatic enough and cited offensive dud everywhere he has coached.
I dont necessarily agree and feel like we cant judge until after next year when he has a qb worth a salt. Maybe im wrong but i like MR and find him charasmatic.
So how does this board feel about him almost 12 months in? He crushed the offseason but has lost winnable games in season. Im torn, know he isnt going anywhere but that thread got me thinking about how he has done this far.
Gtfo troll

Reactions: scarletred
As great as TO’s record was, I think he or the Bobfather would struggle to win 9 or 10 every year with our schedules after this year’s softy. I hope Trev gets rid of any future tough NC games, The divisionless B1G beginning next year will be a bear. Luckily next year’s meat of the schedule is on the back half.
You know for whatever it’s worth I don’t believe Oregon, USC, or Washington are going to have as seamless of a transition as some think. It’ll be interesting how those teams respond to cold weather and defense.

I think he needs to adapt better to the current environment that is college football today. You have to remember he left college football just when the transfer portal was picking up and NIL was not a thing yet. The recruiting game is much more time consuming now and you need stud recruiters at multiple positions to do the dirty work.

Jury is still out on Rhule, just hope he can make tough staff decisions if need be. Nebraska is a unique HC position that isn’t comparable to anywhere else he’s been, and quite honestly any other P5 job.
Where to start.

Rhule didn't hesitate to fire his prize former HS coach. He isn't blind to what it takes to recruit. He knows better than anyone. Just because NIL and the portal wasn't around is meaningless. It's called management. When does a coach get to decide NIL?

What is so unique about Nebraska that sets us completely apart? Rural? History of winning? Fan support? State support? Recruiting to Nebraska is difficult?

If anything, recruiting is easier with social media and the exposure teams get. Tom didn't have that advantage but somehow pulled it off. Win some gamed and get some players in the league, thinks will change quickly. Kids want to be part of that.

So I had to look up "Milktoast"..

Means timid, feeble, bland or boring..

I probably would not use that word to describe Rhule.

I have always believed he would not stand up to the pressure here.. then I see this gem:
And that hints that Matt doesn't like the pressure.

Reports he was upset about fans wanting the OC fired and questions from the press conference (although he didn't look upset to me) except he did quip something about how has firing people worked for you around here..

blah blah blah.. We let Scott Frost go a lot longer than we should have. We have given people enough time.

Rhule couldn't handle the NFL, and I don't think he likes the pressure here either. Not many coaches would actually thrive.

It's going to be a lot easier to guage what is going on by how the team plays the last couple of weeks.

I have always believed he would not stand up to the pressure here.. then I see this gem:

Reports he was upset about fans wanting the OC fired and questions from the press conference (although he didn't look upset to me) except he did quip something about how has firing people worked for you around here..

blah blah blah.. We let Scott Frost go a lot longer than we should have. We have given people enough time.

Rhule couldn't handle the NFL, and I don't think he likes the pressure here either. Not many coaches would actually thrive.

It's going to be a lot easier to guage what is going on by how the team plays the last couple of weeks.
Neither could Urban, Sabin, Spurrier and a few others from the past..
Some guys are just better coaches in college than they are in the NFL..

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Where to start.

Rhule didn't hesitate to fire his prize former HS coach. He isn't blind to what it takes to recruit. He knows better than anyone. Just because NIL and the portal wasn't around is meaningless. It's called management. When does a coach get to decide NIL?

What is so unique about Nebraska that sets us completely apart? Rural? History of winning? Fan support? State support? Recruiting to Nebraska is difficult?

If anything, recruiting is easier with social media and the exposure teams get. Tom didn't have that advantage but somehow pulled it off. Win some gamed and get some players in the league, thinks will change quickly. Kids want to be part of that.
The university is located in a state with less than 2 million people. There’s only one or two highly rated 4 star recruits coming out of high school in the state any given year. It’s not a Florida or Texas school where you can walk down the street and find a half dozen 4 or 5 star talent at the local high school.

Nebraska mostly recruits mid to high 3 star recruits with handful of four star talent. Nebraska has had one five star recruit and that was Marlon Lucky during the Callahan era. Point being compared to other blue blood programs Nebraska is way behind in recruiting.

In regards to the other things about Nebraska, specifically the fish bowl environment that’s a whole other can of worms.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Neither could Urban, Sabin, Spurrier and a few others from the past..
Some guys are just better coaches in college than they are in the NFL..
this is true, and it proves your point, but Rhule hasn't come even close to the level of college success those legendary coaches have had.. so while I get the comparison as to NFL success, Rhule hasn't won anything in college either.

this is true, and it proves your point, but Rhule hasn't come even close to the level of college success those legendary coaches have had.. so while I get the comparison as to NFL success, Rhule hasn't won anything in college either.
Nor has he been at any one place long enough comparing to the others..

we need a legit p5 qb room, not just a p5 qb. cant expect to win close games with one qb on the roster. injuries and misses and failures to hold players accountable have left rhule with what we have going into the last 2 games. a chance for a west championship but really not much hope.

For the life of me, I just don’t get how you come up with what you do. That quote tells you he doesn’t like the pressure? Really? That’s what you read into that?

Maybe, just maybe, he said that because he knows that no one is untouchable in CFB. Anyone can be fired. Jimbo says hello, Chip Kelly says hi, even baby Ferentz at a place where there is no pressure… It’s not that he doesn’t handle pressure. It’s the nature of the business.

The inner workings of your mind are a mystery to me, beyond comprehension.

Reactions: headcard
Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

Nebraska's last top 10 finish was at #8 in 2001. I was 47. I cannot believe that all the newbies here that are so indignant about winning 9 games every year are over 65. More likely the Nebraska football they have known all their life is as it is today. This team or any team will never become a championship team when less than a championship is the only standard between acceptance and termination. Tom Osborne fielded many teams that could not have competed against this year's team.

I have doubts that Rhule will get us back to winning 9-10 games a year. But if he doesn't, I do think he will at least leave the program in a better place than he found it.
Reasonable take. If he can’t get us back to frequent 9 win seasons he’s not the guy. I think he is though.

You must have liked Smothers more than I did. He was a better on the battle decision maker than Sims but not by much.
Smothers had a 5 TD game this fall in a 3 TD come from behind win after replacing a QB he splits time with. 4 passing, one rushing TD and a great 2 point conversion back of the endzone pass. 70% completion and zero INTs in that game. The next game he didn’t look good.

Got to talking with a friend who knows the college football world. He claimed Matt Ruhle to be "milktoast". Didnt feel he was charasmatic enough and cited offensive dud everywhere he has coached.
I dont necessarily agree and feel like we cant judge until after next year when he has a qb worth a salt. Maybe im wrong but i like MR and find him charasmatic.
So how does this board feel about him almost 12 months in? He crushed the offseason but has lost winnable games in season. Im torn, know he isnt going anywhere but that thread got me thinking about how he has done this far.
How exactly did he ‘crush the offseason’?!?

How exactly did he ‘crush the offseason’?!?
He won over a lot of people in this state. He showed, to me at least, leadership and charisma. I felt his forst 8 months on the job he was near flawless. Minus the Sims thing.

He won over a lot of people in this state. He showed, to me at least, leadership and charisma. I felt his forst 8 months on the job he was near flawless. Minus the Sims thing.
And to others he’s just an outsider who everyone knows is not going to stay, and doesn’t like spending money on players. Hired to counterbalance HCSF was just like Riley was to Bo.

Metrically he hasn’t done Shit. Just sayin…. Maybe that changes. Not convinced yet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT