ADVERTISEMENT

Man Michigan looks like hot garbage.

That would give you Pelini. Not acceptable.

While 9 wins as the high water mark isn’t acceptable ... in 2 of harbaughs 3 years he achieved a higher ranking than Nebraska has had since I believe 2001- over 15 years + a major bowl. I’m not saying Harbaugh is crushing it but after a year or so for Frost to get situated that is a pretty high bar.

Reactions: GoBluePureMichigan
I wouldn't use Nebraska's record post-Tom for anything other than comparing how low programs have sunk relative to NU. I'm not even sure what is trying to be proven by comparing Harbaugh to NU?

The question is whether or not he is going to be in hot water at Michigan. Not whether or not he is more successful than the mediocre bottom dwellers that have taken a paycheck here for the last couple of decades.

The fact remains, Harbaugh is making Meyer/Saban type money but is not producing anything anywhere near those results on the field. You cannot take that paycheck home and keep producing a crap product versus your rivals and other top 10 programs. Once again, this has nothing to do with the craptasic results NU has fallen to.

That KO return saved them ... at least kept them in the game. Michigan’s offense looks the same ... they haven’t changed much to suit Patterson’s skill set ... a few zone reads but otherwise not much difference.
Exactly. A good coach wins with what he has. All the talk of Harbaugh finally getting his guy I thought were kind of dumb. The results would be the same. It made me think about Sam Keller and Tanner Lee. Everyone was saying how Callahan and Riley finally had the right QBs for their systems, and how they would finally turn the corner. It was BS.

Coaches are who they are. Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and coaches like Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer before them, all won big time even when they didn't have the best quarterbacks to run their offenses. Hell, Osborne and Meyer won national championships with their second and third string guys.

Reactions: bshirt73
Hi Guys. Nice to have an excuse to talk CFB on CU-Nebraska week.

Harbaugh? It's Occams Razor, college football style - the simplest explanation is the right one.

He's a freaking weirdo.

His style is successful at first and then simply drives his superiors and fanbase bat$%^& after 3-4 years. Ask San Diego, Stanford, and the Niners - the guy is just an oddball. Hell, watch that Netflix special. Harbough is simply one of the weirdest people on the planet. At first its fun, unique and eccentric.

Until it becomes weird and aberrant and dysfunctional. His bosses can't deal with it and he's on to the next job. Michigan is just the latest in the pattern.

Even if Hargod goes down in flames and doesn't last past next week it was the right hire at the right time. There was no hotter coach in the country, many programs would have canned their coach to get him, he was a Michigan man, it all made perfect sense and if Michigan doesn't offer him and he goes elsewhere, their AD would have been out of work at the end of the year, or sooner. It was the right call, may not work out (much like hiding in a closet from LP), but it was a smart move at the time.

And what does that have to do with comparing Harbaugh to Scott Frost? Is Scott Frost starting at the same level that Harbaugh did? Not even close… In terms of talent and schedule. I’m not sure what you’re getting at here…
Yes, I'd say it's not much different. Both teams are playing a Big 10 schedule. Both teams started coming off similar records. Harbaugh had a great first couple years. He dropped off a little bit last year, but that doesn't mean he should be put on the hot seat already. If Frost has similar results, even if you give him a pass the first year that Harbaugh didn't get, I hope he's not on the hot seat either.

I remember watching Harbaugh when he was qb for the Colts. He was inches away from a Super Bowl one year there. It's amazing to me that a guy who knows the qb position well can't get a qb to play worth a flip. That is his downfall.

Yes, I'd say it's not much different. Both teams are playing a Big 10 schedule. Both teams started coming off similar records. Harbaugh had a great first couple years. He dropped off a little bit last year, but that doesn't mean he should be put on the hot seat already. If Frost has similar results, even if you give him a pass the first year that Harbaugh didn't get, I hope he's not on the hot seat either.
I agree that if Frost has similar results, he shouldn’t be on the hot seat. That’s because the caliber of athlete frost has compared to Harbaugh is top 25 versus top 10-15.

I agree that if Frost has similar results, he shouldn’t be on the hot seat. That’s because the caliber of athlete frost has compared to Harbaugh is top 25 versus top 10-15.
That has no bearing at all on how I would view a coach's performance. Agree to disagree.

Actually, didn't Hoke recruit some good talent for Harbaugh? I mean, the cupboards weren't bare.

Reactions: timnsun
That has no bearing at all on how I would view a coach's performance. Agree to disagree.
My point is if Harbaugh has higher talent, he’s gonna have a higher ceiling right from the start. This is year 4 and he is what, 1-15 or so against his biggest rivals? He has had more than enough time to change that narrative.

Frost is taking over a team where the ceiling isn’t as high. By the start of year 4, if Frost is 1-15 against his biggest rivals, I am pretty sure most on here won’t be all smiles about it.

I think Harbaugh has built some cred after his first 3 years... but if he tanks this year, his first 3 years against his biggest rivals could play a part in his undoing. $8 million a year demands better than what he has produced.

Actually, didn't Hoke recruit some good talent for Harbaugh? I mean, the cupboards weren't bare.
Yep, that’s my point... Harbaugh came in to a setting where Michigan was pretty stacked with talent. He just had to get the best out of them, which it seems he did. But if this year is a clunker, he will have been going in the wrong direction for a few years now... does it warrant his firing? I doubt that, but I am not writing him checks for $8 mil per year.

The other thing I would say, and I do agree with you, after 3 years, if Frost is not getting it done, it calls in to question his coaching, because many of the players on the field will have been his own players. His performance is his performance, not based on riley’s recruits by that time...

The other thing I would say, and I do agree with you, after 3 years, if Frost is not getting it done, it calls in to question his coaching, because many of the players on the field will have been his own players. His performance is his performance, not based on riley’s recruits by that time...

Well, you're probably correct but I'm blindly guessing it'll take four years for SF to have the BigRedMachine finely tuned. It'll be worth the extra year I hope.

Well, you're probably correct but I'm blindly guessing it'll take four years for SF to have the BigRedMachine finely tuned. It'll be worth the extra year I hope.
I agree, and I think he’ll be awesome before then, but even if he isn’t for some reason, I’m still giving him more than 3 years. No matter what.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I agree, and I think he’ll be awesome before then, but even if he isn’t for some reason, I’m still giving him more than 3 years. No matter what.

Me too, who could Nebraska ACTUALLY get that would be effective enough to turn it around besides Frost?

Sweatervest? Pete Carrol?...if handed a bunch of money and blind eyes?

Me too, who could Nebraska ACTUALLY get that would be effective enough to turn it around besides Frost?

Sweatervest? Pete Carrol?...if handed a bunch of money and blind eyes?

"who could Nebraska ACTUALLY get that would be effective enough to turn it around besides Frost?"

This is exactly the same case/argument at Michigan and no Jim is not on the hot seat.

Reactions: Sinomatic
"who could Nebraska ACTUALLY get that would be effective enough to turn it around besides Frost?"

This is exactly the same case/argument at Michigan and no Jim is not on the hot seat.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me. Jim's by far away their best shot.

Harbaugh coached 4 years in the NFL and had a winning % of 69% —and you ask did he have success there?? Please list the coaches with a higher winning percentage

I don't think he translates well to college. Before you say Stanford, look at who his o.c. was, and more importantly quarterback. I think he is a good coach, but he would be better with professional athletes.

Last edited:
Expectations were/are crazy high for Harbaugh - understandably. Having said that, he has averaged more than 9 wins per season - has played in a major bowl and finished in the top 10 in his first three years. Many are labeling him a bust. Is our staff going to outperform these results in the first 3 years? And if not, is the narrative going to be the same for Frost as Harbaugh?

I'm going to give Frost all the years. He will have better teams than I've seen in the last 15. When I was a child I didn't understand "bad football " and losing. I understand it now. I'll try to watch without any preconceived notions.

Hi Guys. Nice to have an excuse to talk CFB on CU-Nebraska week.

Harbaugh? It's Occams Razor, college football style - the simplest explanation is the right one.

He's a freaking weirdo.

His style is successful at first and then simply drives his superiors and fanbase bat$%^& after 3-4 years. Ask San Diego, Stanford, and the Niners - the guy is just an oddball. Hell, watch that Netflix special. Harbough is simply one of the weirdest people on the planet. At first its fun, unique and eccentric.

Until it becomes weird and aberrant and dysfunctional. His bosses can't deal with it and he's on to the next job. Michigan is just the latest in the pattern.

He's eccentric. Colorado is going to lose this weekend.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I wonder what excuses we will hear this time. Before it was a QB, all they needed was a top signal caller and guess what...they got one of the supposedly best and promising QBs our there. Funny deal right there....hmmm.

When ND jumped on them 14-0, I said, Michigan is playing not to get blown out.

And I don't think ND is that good. BUT, that is a big time first game. That's the risk. Win, or get shit on. They will win a lot of BIG 10 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT