ADVERTISEMENT

Logan Smothers

Remember when the talk was that we wanted to play aggressive D so that we could get the ball back asap and get it to our explosive O.
I'd love to see one of the reporters ask Frost if that is still the plan

Remember when the talk was that we wanted to play aggressive D so that we could get the ball back asap and get it to our explosive O.
yep.

instead of explosive O, we see tons of 3 & outs and white flag waving QB draws on 3rd and 8+ even though we can't punt or cover punts

Reactions: BrighteRed24
completely agree

they can always get better, but the defense has hands down been our most consistently improved phase over the last 3 years

chinander deserves credit for this undeniable fact
…. and the defense wanted to actually play football (bowl game) when some on the offense weren’t interested.
I won’t blame the entire offense for the action of some, but that was a telling moment in the locker room when it was reported defense unanimously wanted to keep playing.

…. and the defense wanted to actually play football (bowl game) when some on the offense weren’t interested.
I won’t blame the entire offense for the action of some, but that was a telling moment in the locker room when it was reported defense unanimously wanted to keep playing.
the recent quotes from our 3rd year quarterback about this very thing, in which he went as far as to say he wasn't even in shape last season, were beyond jarring

Yeah, and you can't really fix arm strength.
Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Joe Montana, Tom Brady. None of these were ever big arm guys, but highly effective because they knew timing, windows and how to read a defense. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George all had big arms but sucked.

Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Joe Montana, Tom Brady. None of these were ever big arm guys, but highly effective because they knew timing, windows and how to read a defense. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George all had big arms but sucked.
The above mentioned all had plenty of arm strength in college. I think the gist is that Smothers throws like a skinny 170 pounder.

Sounds like he could be the backup to AM2 this year. He had a couple ugly passes in the spring game but I thought he looked good otherwise. Hopefully he has a ‘fast blinker’, minimizes turnovers and can distribute the ball well.

He is super fast with questionable throwing skills. If he’s in I’d expect if the first receiver is not wide open he will take off running.

So do we give Smothers a chance at all with some coaching and world class strength and conditiong or do we just get rid of him cuz some passes in a spring game were questionable to some?

So do we give Smothers a chance at all with some coaching and world class strength and conditiong or do we just get rid of him cuz some passes in a spring game were questionable to some?
he may blossom into a nice backup

Maybe I am splitting hairs here, but isn't he saying he was in bad shape meaning beat up after the last game? I don't think he is commenting on his physical conditioning over the season.
That's how I read it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Smothers said. "I mean, I've got the best quarterbacks’ coach in the country so I'm confident in him and he gets us ready each and every day and helps us a ton."
NearAntiqueArcherfish-size_restricted.gif
Ok, so Smothers is lacking in arm strength, sounds like he is lacking in brains as well.

One of my favorite parts of being a Husker fan is clamoring for a high school player to sign with us and then completely writing him off before he's even taken a single snap. He sucks, can't wait till such and such high school quarterback to be named later is on campus.

Teams led by run-first quarterbacks have a much lower ceiling than teams led by pass-first quarterbacks.

I hope to never see another run-first quarterback leading the Huskers again after AM leaves.
It really depends on how good the QB is. Frazier, Frost, Crouch, Lamar Jackson (Louisville), Vince Young, Taylor Martinez all had good winning percentages as run first QBs.

It really depends on how good the QB is. Frazier, Frost, Crouch, Lamar Jackson (Louisville), Vince Young, Taylor Martinez all had good winning percentages as run first QBs.
Vince Young the only national champ this century of those listed (15 years ago), and he threw for 3,000+ yards the year they won it

run-first QBs are yesterday's news

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Vince Young the only national champ this century of those listed (15 years ago), and he threw for 3,000+ yards the year they won it

run-first QBs are yesterday's news
Run first quarterback is a disaster. He gets hurt and your whole season is in jeopardy. While he's running around like a chicken with its head cut off, the talent of a half dozen other playmakers are wasted. I'll take every 40-yard run I can get when it's there, but his first instinct has to be to distribute.

Run first quarterback is a disaster. He gets hurt and your whole season is in jeopardy. While he's running around like a chicken with its head cut off, the talent of a half dozen other playmakers are wasted. I'll take every 40-yard run I can get when it's there, but his first instinct has to be to distribute.
& if he doesn't get hurt he looks like AM/TM

like I said, the ceiling is just way lower with these guys

That's how I read it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
He had been injured and was still rehabbing at the end of the year last year I think. I recall Masker being next up if Martinez went down with an injury for Rutgers. Seems like there was another walk on QB that traveled to Rutgers.

I feel like Adrian isn’t running much so far… if the receivers weren’t open, Smothers took off. So far this year, Adrian stays in and waits too long before deciding to run. IMO.
He also won't pull the trigger, he's gun shy. Sometimes you have to throw the wr open, or back shoulder. Sometimes you have to throw it even if you think he's covered.

As usual everybody loves the back up. But he is told throw it to player A on X play. He isn’t asked to read threw his receivers. That’s why Smothers and McCaffrey look like they see plays quicker than AM. Maybe they need to really dumb it down for AM as well.

Reactions: BleedRed78
As usual everybody loves the back up. But he is told throw it to player A on X play. He isn’t asked to read threw his receivers. That’s why Smothers and McCaffrey look like they see plays quicker than AM. Maybe they need to really dumb it down for AM as well.
What game did you watch? The same routes Smothers was throwing to was the same ones AM was throwing to. Yes, the pass AM threw to Allen 2 plays in a row is an automatic throw with the outside 2 receivers blocking for Allen. Smothers completed the same pass. He also threw a hitch route to the single receiver which the 3 on the other side also had routes. The single receiver had soft coverage so that’s your throw , the hitch. Really need to watch before saying ridiculous stuff. Luke did throw a lot of single routes but he also had to read progressions which he wasn’t good at doing. AM is not bad at reading but it does take him a little to long as if he doesn’t see the field to well. It’s very obvious everything the coaches have said about Smothers having an innate ability to see the field and making quick decisions is very true. Clearly saw that yesterday.

Smothers knows the whole offense. His issue has been his accuracy in practice.

You are such a huge source of misinformation on this board.

Personally, I believe he has the potential to out perform Adrian... If, he gets into a rhythm. I think Adrian is done - too much "Yips" and mental collapse brought on by the staff.

It's time to start LS and have an AM/Haarberg split . Let's see what we've got in waiting.

Losses be damned, they'd happen anyway if AM keeps fumbling it all away.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT